PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Threaten to Boycott Japan Trip

blumj
03-19-2008, 12:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3301195

Red Sox players are refusing to take the field for their scheduled exhibition game, and threatening not to board the plane to Japan, unless MLB agrees to pay their coaches and staffs the same $40,000 appearance fee that they're receiving to make the trip, and that they say MLB promised to pay their coaches, trainers, and staff members when they originally agreed to the trip.

Chip R
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Very intreresting.

pedro
03-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Good for them.

Joseph
03-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Coaches, trainers and staff x 40k per. It can't equal more than a million or so dollars.

While I know thats a lot of money to us, its chump change the the beast that is MLB. Its like any one of us asking our boss for 5 dollars or we would quit. It'll get sorted out.

Jpup
03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Coaches, trainers and staff x 40k per. It can't equal more than a million or so dollars.

While I know thats a lot of money to us, its chump change the the beast that is MLB. Its like any one of us asking our boss for 5 dollars or we would quit. It'll get sorted out.

I would tell them they could start the season with a couple Ls then. I'm of the opinion that you never threaten your boss. You might actually have to quit. If MLB is backing out of it, then I see the problem.

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2008, 01:02 PM
The Red Sox and Blue Jays are scheduled to play a ST game right now on ESPN but the Sox have yet to take the field...

blumj
03-19-2008, 01:04 PM
BTW, the exhibition game today was supposed to be on ESPN, so this is all playing out live on ESPN.

Chip R
03-19-2008, 01:07 PM
BTW, the exhibition game today was supposed to be on ESPN, so this is all playing out live on ESPN.

The Sox better go to Japan or there's going to be a revised version of the Mitchell Report. ;)

BRM
03-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Have they taken the field yet?

George Anderson
This sounds like the modern day baseball version of the "Boston Tea Party".

When is Bud gonna be tarred and feathered??

OnBaseMachine
They are making the media leave the field. ESPN's field reporter says that could be a sign that there is going to be a game.

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Dice-K was scheduled to start the game but they just said he will now pitch in a minor league game at 1:00.

rotnoid
03-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Good for them. It's nice to see these stars stick up for the little guy.

The version I read though claimed it was Francona that told the trainers and coaches they'd be getting paid, not MLB. If that's the case, maybe the Sox or Francona should pony up the dough. Or, it may just be an inaccurate report.

kbrake
03-19-2008, 01:15 PM
This is hilarious to watch all this happen on ESPN. Another black eye moment for the Bud Selig regime.

redsrule2500
03-19-2008, 01:25 PM
good. I can't stand the 'global baseball' movement...

Chip R
03-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Not that I'm watching or anything but could there be anything more boring than having the ESPN announcers prattle on about the Sox while there's no game to watch?

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2008, 01:35 PM
good. I can't stand the 'global baseball' movement...

I like that baseball is trying to expand the game into China and Japan but I don't think the games played over there should be counted as regular season games. Play a couple exibition games over there (like the Dodgers and Padres did in China)...that's fine. But it's not fair to the two teams to count them as regular season games and then come back over to the US and play two or three spring training games and then go into the real regular season.

Krusty
03-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Can Bud Selig and Major League Baseball do any worse than what they have done with the Mitchell Report and now this? Just when you think the dark clouds are going away, MLB finds a way to give the sport another black eye.

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Red Sox players are now out on the field stretching. Looks like this thing could get resolved.

WVRed
03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I would tell them they could start the season with a couple Ls then. I'm of the opinion that you never threaten your boss. You might actually have to quit. If MLB is backing out of it, then I see the problem.

This is a little different.

What I admire is that the Red Sox are taking up for their management and staff. The players will be paid regardless. Its the equivalent of taking up for your boss if the district manager is doing something dirty.

Baseball could do like what the NBA is talking about and create an international team. Of course, I think both are horrible ideas.

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2008, 02:21 PM
David Aardsma is starting for the Red Sox today; Ken Rosenthal says the Sox will probably let him go for next to nothing. He's a guy I'd like to see the Reds go after and stick in Louisville to work on his control. He's got an electric arm (90 K's in 96 career major league innings) but has no idea where it's going at times. If he ever figures it out he's going to be a dynamite arm out of the pen.

blumj
03-19-2008, 02:32 PM
David Aardsma is starting for the Red Sox today; Ken Rosenthal says the Sox will probably let him go for next to nothing. He's a guy I'd like to see the Reds go after and stick in Louisville to work on his control. He's got an electric arm (90 K's in 96 career major league innings) but has no idea where it's going at times. If he ever figures it out he's going to be a dynamite arm out of the pen.
Nice idea, but that's of course why the Red Sox won't be able to get him through waivers to give him a chance to work on his control in the minors. And why the White Sox couldn't, etc.

Chip R
03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
So are the A's coaches getting paid too or is this just the Red Sox?

blumj
03-19-2008, 02:37 PM
So are the A's coaches getting paid too or is this just the Red Sox?
Both, I assume. The A's players joined in as soon as they found out.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Just when you think MLB can't get any slimier.

BCubb2003
03-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Red Sox thought they were going to China? "People's Republic appreciates the gesture from the comrades of the Red Sox, but we're not really into that whole rebellious workers thing these days."

fearofpopvol1
03-19-2008, 02:45 PM
personally, i think it's lame and it's not heroic by any stretch of the imagination. if you didn't work this stuff out before the game or before you agreed, it's your own fault. why should the fans have to suffer for the coaches/staff's ignorance?

you can call MLB cheap or whatever, but this isn't really their fault.

Chip R
03-19-2008, 02:49 PM
personally, i think it's lame and it's not heroic by any stretch of the imagination. if you didn't work this stuff out before the game or before you agreed, it's your own fault. why should the fans have to suffer for the coaches/staff's ignorance?

Well, I think what the players were saying was that it was agreed on that the coaches and staff would get paid as well but MLB reneged on the deal.

blumj
03-19-2008, 02:52 PM

According to the players, they had an agreement a long time ago, and they're just holding MLB to their end of it. I don't see any fan suffering.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Has this been resolved yet?

fearofpopvol1
03-19-2008, 02:57 PM
okay, if that is true, then mlb should be held accountable in this...but figure it out after the game. you flew out there, play the game. don't make the fans suffer.

Chip R
03-19-2008, 03:02 PM
okay, if that is true, then mlb should be held accountable in this...but figure it out after the game. you flew out there, play the game. don't make the fans suffer.

But the players have the leverage before the game. If they go over there and play what assurance do they have that it will be taken care of? MLB had a lot more to lose than the Sox had. If the Sox don't get on a plane, there's no game and no international fiesta for MLB. The press would tear Bud a new one for being too cheap to lay out the money and for reneging on a deal. The only way you can hold them accountable is if you do it when you're holding all the cards.

fearofpopvol1
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
I understand that rationale, but in the end, it's still the fan that loses if MLB does not pay and the Red Sox do not play.

Again, I've changed my judgment to blaming both instead of just the Red Sox.

WMR
03-19-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think the Sox are to blame at all.

You make an agreement? Live up to the damn thing!

MLB has already reneged on multiple aspects of the agreement that they originally reached with the players. This was "the straw that broke the camel's back" and I don't blame the players one iota.

Just another in the long line of idiotic move by Bud and his cohorts.

Sea Ray
03-19-2008, 03:59 PM
When I first heard about this today I couldn't believe the players are getting $40K. What's wrong with just paying their expenses like any other business would do on a business trip? It never occured to me that they'd be getting that much on top of their normal salary. Maybe it was the strength of the Union. OK, well the coaches aren't in the Union. The coaches are not worth $40,000. They should not be paid like the players. If I'm MLB I hold to whatever was agreed to (I assume it's in writing somewhere) previously and if the players don't like it they can take a sliver off of their $40K and have enough to give it to their coaches.

westofyou
03-20-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't think the Sox are to blame at all.

You make an agreement? Live up to the damn thing!

MLB has already reneged on multiple aspects of the agreement that they originally reached with the players. This was "the straw that broke the camel's back" and I don't blame the players one iota.

Just another in the long line of idiotic move by Bud and his cohorts.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/20/it_was_a_time_for_team_unity/?page=2

2:05 p.m. - The Globe's Nick Cafardo posts a blog entry saying that sources have told him the Players' Association, not MLB, was responsible for removing the coaches from the players' revenue pool, and failed to notify Sox players.

joshnky
03-20-2008, 01:57 PM
If I'm MLB I hold to whatever was agreed to (I assume it's in writing somewhere) previously and if the players don't like it they can take a sliver off of their $40K and have enough to give it to their coaches.

I agree. Does anyone else find this completely rediculous? If I'm asked to go on a business trip to Japan I don't get extra money on top of expenses. In fact, I would just enjoy the opportunity to see the world for free. Most people in this country don't make 40K a year and these coaches are being paid 40K just to make the trip?

I agree with the statement that if this was in the contract then it should be paid but I think its obscene either way.

westofyou
03-20-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree. Does anyone else find this completely rediculous? If I'm asked to go on a business trip to Japan I don't get extra money on top of expenses. In fact, I would just enjoy the opportunity to see the world for free. Most people in this country don't make 40K a year and these coaches are being paid 40K just to make the trip?

I agree with the statement that if this was in the contract then it should be paid but I think its obscene either way.

Someone is making big jack off of this trip, why shouldn't it be distributed accordingly?

The owners ate their cake for exactly 100 years... they are still paying for it and will for some time.

Sea Ray
03-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Someone is making big jack off of this trip, why shouldn't it be distributed accordingly?

The owners ate their cake for exactly 100 years... they are still paying for it and will for some time.

When is "jack" distributed evenly? Any jack that is made goes to the owner. That's how business works. No player had to pay out a $100mill or so to buy a club, like Castellini did. He doesn't have to split proceeds after doing that.

The employees don't get to split the jack. It's the owner that has to eat expenses on a game played in April in front of 12K fans. If the players want to split the loses on games like that then we'll talk. If the owners negotiate and sell a trip to China, they get the proceeds, not the employess.

03-20-2008, 03:15 PM

You ever have anyone stand up for you when you needed it? You ever stand up for anyone else?

blumj
03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
When is "jack" distributed evenly? Any jack that is made goes to the owner. That's how business works. No player had to pay out a $100mill or so to buy a club, like Castellini did. He doesn't have to split proceeds after doing that.

The employees don't get to split the jack. It's the owner that has to eat expenses on a game played in April in front of 12K fans. If the players want to split the loses on games like that then we'll talk. If the owners negotiate and sell a trip to China, they get the proceeds, not the employess.
It's simple. The travel and schedule of a trip of this kind would be a violation of the collective bargaining agreement. The players had no obligation to agree to it at all, and every right to negotiate whatever terms they wanted.

Ltlabner
03-20-2008, 04:21 PM

Uh, because the employee already negotiated a contract for their services and is already being paid the agreed amount for doing their normal job?

This would be like me telling my boss that if he wants me to make any more sales trips he's going to have to pay per per trip in addition to my sallary and expences that I'm already being paid. Makes zero sense.

pedro
03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Uh, because the employee already negotiated a contract for their services and is already being paid the agreed amount for doing their normal job?

This would be like me telling my boss that if he wants me to make any more sales trips he's going to have to pay per per trip in addition to my sallary and expences that I'm already being paid. Makes zero sense.

But trips to Japan aren't part of their existing contracts.

Sea Ray
03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
It's simple. The travel and schedule of a trip of this kind would be a violation of the collective bargaining agreement. The players had no obligation to agree to it at all, and every right to negotiate whatever terms they wanted.

I'm not privy to the details of the CBA but if the owners gave this away in collective bargaining then they should abide by the agreement. I wouldn't let the players walk all over me if I was ownership. I'd handle it this way:

If I'm Bud Selig and I negotiate a trip to Asia to start the season and then Don Fehr says no way unless you give us $40,000 I take it public. I tell ESPN that we were all set to show another continent our game but the only reason we're not going is because the players want $40,000 a piece to go.

That'd make the players look awfully greedy.

Ltlabner
03-20-2008, 04:31 PM
But trips to Japan aren't part of their existing contracts.

Obviously I'm not privy to the details of their contract, and I woln't pretend to know the details of the CBA. But just on general principal, if you are already being paid a sallary to be a major league manager and your boss tells you to go play a game in another country as major league manager that is part of your normal duties.

You can't possibly include all possible job duties into a contract and it's not like they are being asked to undertake some hideous or onerous task. They are already getting a free trip to Japan and getting paid to take it. If they were told they had to go coach games in Guam for 87 months, or they had to do games in an active war zone, it would be a totally different story and I'd understand where they are comming from. Or maybe they were being asked to pay for the trip and the expences themselves? If I missed that part, then I can totally understand where they are coming from.

Otherwise, shut up and enjoy your free trip to Asia.

Frankly I think it's bizzare that the players had a choice in whether they would go play the games in the first place.

EDIT: I can also understand the stink from the players/coaches perspective if MLB promised to pay them the $40,000 appearance fee and then crawfished on the deal. If they made the offer then shame on MLB for recinding it.

remdog
03-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Next time my boss assigns me to go to Bakersfield I'm asking for an extra $12.00. Hardship!, I say. No doubt about it! :)

OK, I'm on the same page as the guys that think this should be considered part of their normal duties. They're getting a free trip to Japan instead of Oakland. They are getting their expenses paid for---it's pretty much business as normal. The players, including the coaches, IMO, have no room to complain.

OTOH, if the $40K was negotiated by the players, then pay 'em the money and let's get on the plane.

HOWEVER, if the coaches didn't negotiate the money and the players are threatening to boycott until the coaches get a share then the players are hypocrites, plain and simple. If you feel that strongly, chip in and spread the wealth to the coaches. If you aren't willing to do that then get on the plane and SHUT UP!

Rem

WMR
03-20-2008, 11:02 PM
These guys are gearing up for the season that will determine their earning power for years down the road. As much fun as it might sound for you to get a "free trip" to Japan, that's not what it is at all in the eyes of these players. It is a disruption to their preparation. MLB players are creatures of habit. I can't think of a bigger "monkey wrench in the gears" than going to Japan to start the grind of a MLB season.

The CBA does NOT cover playing regular season games in Japan. That's why MLB had to negotiate with the teams to get them to agree to do so.

MWM
03-20-2008, 11:07 PM
nm

Reds Nd2
03-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I agree. Does anyone else find this completely rediculous? If I'm asked to go on a business trip to Japan I don't get extra money on top of expenses. In fact, I would just enjoy the opportunity to see the world for free.

It's only ridiculous if business trips to Japan are the course of your normal responsibilities. (They aren't for MLB players under the collectively bargained agreement.)

For example, I'm being asked to travel to El Salvador. And while I guess it is a chance to see at least part of the world for free, this isn't part of my normal job requirements. You can be sure that my company is going to pay for everything, up to and including having my dirty skivies washed while I'm away. I'm also going to get a 25% pay increase, plus a 25% bonus and four days paid vacation after every six month assignment (Right now that means two weeks down there/two weeks home for at least a year).

I guess it's just me, but I can see all of the world I want to see right here in United States. Someones got to pay for me to see the other parts.

blumj
03-20-2008, 11:29 PM
http://38pitches.com/2008/03/20/last-boring-uneventful-day-of-camp%e2%80%a6/

Schilling's take, if anyone's interested.

RFS62
03-20-2008, 11:53 PM
The owners and promoters of this trip will probably rake in the money.

MLB extends and expands it's brand worldwide.

Sounds like the players union dropped the ball, but then again, the coaches and support staff aren't members.

It should have been handled better, but I don't blame the players a bit, in fact I'm proud of them for sticking up for their coaches and staff.

It's business. It's business to the owners, who chose not to pay these guys until forced to. And it's business to the coaches and staff, who were lucky that the players had all the leverage on their behalf.

Reds Nd2
03-21-2008, 12:02 AM
... and I woln't pretend to know the details of the CBA. But just on general principal...

You can't possibly include all possible job duties into a contract...

The collectively bargained agreement for the seasons of 2007 - 2011 contains 28 Articles, 35 attachments and it's 226 pages long. It's very thorough.

... and it's not like they are being asked to undertake some hideous or onerous task. They are already getting a free trip to Japan and getting paid to take it.

Really?

The wheels are expected to be up on the Red Sox's team charter a little after 6 p.m. ET on Wednesday. There will be a brief stop in Chicago for fuel, and after that, a long flight to Tokyo...

In all, the Sox will be on the plane for about 17 hours. By the time the team lands at Haneda Airport in Tokyo, it will be about midnight on Thursday.

In other words, despite the fact that Sox are leaving on Wednesday evening, Thursday will just be turning into Friday when they land. Japan is 13 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time. So what will the Red Sox do to pass the time?

The obvious answer would be sleep, but the team's medical and training staff has advised against that.

"I planned on sleeping, but they want us to stay awake. They want us to sleep for the first two or three hours and stay awake the rest of the time," said Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury.

This was a team that had to wake for an early get away day (not to mention actually playing the game on Wednesday), then board a plane for a 17 hour flight and were told that it was best that they only got a couple of hours nap in the mean time. That sounds pretty hideous to me.

remdog
03-21-2008, 12:07 AM
It should have been handled better, but I don't blame the players a bit, in fact I'm proud of them for sticking up for their coaches and staff.

Do the players negotiate for the coaches? I don't think so. They're sticking their nose into areas that they have no right interferring with. It's up to the coaches to negotiate their own deal. If the players felt so strongly that the coaches should get extra money for completeing their contractual duties then they could have easily chipped in and covered a few coaches.

Perhaps the owners should sue the players involved for interferring with a lawful contract.

Rem

Reds Nd2
03-21-2008, 12:14 AM
OK, I'm on the same page as the guys that think this should be considered part of their normal duties.

Then your on the wrong page.

Big Klu
03-21-2008, 12:14 AM
I guess it's just me, but I can see all of the world I want to see right here in United States. Someones got to pay for me to see the other parts.

Amen, brother. I have absolutely no desire to see any part of Asia, including Japan.

remdog
03-21-2008, 12:17 AM
This was a team that had to wake for an early get away day (not to mention actually playing the game on Wednesday), then board a plane for a 17 hour flight and were told that it was best that they only got a couple of hours nap in the mean time. That sounds pretty hideous to me.

I've made that trip and, while it's long and boring, it's not 'hideous'. If you think that's hideous then you are in for some big shocks in your life.

If the players had boycotted then they would have been breaking their contract. As I raised the point above, maybe they should be sued for interferring with a lawful contract since they are not party to that agreement between the teams and the coaches.

If the players were really principled and believed in the 'cause' they would have just ponied up the money out of their share. I guess they were to 'noble' to do that. :p:

Rem

remdog
03-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Then your on the wrong page.

Show me the right page Mr. Collective Bargaining Agreement. :p:

Rem

Reds Nd2
03-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Do the players negotiate for the coaches? I don't think so. They're sticking their nose into areas that they have no right interferring with. It's up to the coaches to negotiate their own deal. If the players felt so strongly that the coaches should get extra money for completeing their contractual duties then they could have easily chipped in and covered a few coaches.

Who do think should negotiate for the managers, coaches, trainers, etc. then?

Perhaps the owners should sue the players involved for interferring with a lawful contract.

Rem

:bowrofl:

Good luck with that.

Reds Nd2
03-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Show me the right page Mr. Collective Bargaining Agreement. :p:

Rem

Start with page one. The rest follows.

RFS62
03-21-2008, 12:37 AM

Rem

Good idea. That should work wonders for the owners image.

You're not Obama's PR man by any chance, are you?

:p:

WMR
03-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Good idea. That should work wonders for the owners image.

OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bwahahah

Reds Nd2
03-21-2008, 12:44 AM
I've made that trip and, while it's long and boring, it's not 'hideous'. If you think that's hideous then you are in for some big shocks in your life.

Rem

You have got up early for a mid-day game in spring training, then had that game delayed because of circumstances beyond your control. Then you played that game and then got on a plane for a 17 hour flight to Japan? On top of all that, you were only allowed a couple of hours of sleep?

I just don't think you've ever made that trip. Sorry.

remdog
03-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Who do think should negotiate for the managers, coaches, trainers, etc. then?

I thought you were the expert. Now, you're asking me for advice. Why am I not surprised. :lol:

Hey, I may not be on the right page but at least I'm reading the right book. ;)

Rem

remdog
03-21-2008, 12:59 AM

If I am you're Geraldine Ferraro's speach writer. :p:

Rem

remdog
03-21-2008, 01:31 AM
You have got up early for a mid-day game in spring training, then had that game delayed because of circumstances beyond your control. Then you played that game and then got on a plane for a 17 hour flight to Japan? On top of all that, you were only allowed a couple of hours of sleep?

I just don't think you've ever made that trip. Sorry.

Well, in a sense, you'd be correct but for the wrong reasons.

I've was on a delayed flight from Asia that was beyond my control (Hong Kong/LAX). And, instead of getting to ride in first class I got the pleasure of sharing a seat in the coach section with a group of missionaries that were bringing about 30 asian orphans back to the states---talk about whinners! :lol:

I started feeling ill waiting for my delayed flight while at the airport. The Doc never figured what I caught but it kept me out of work for two weeks. And, the crowning indignity was that, about two hours into the flight a little kid, about 5 or 6, walking down the asile, while I was trying to get some sleep, decided, for some unknown reason, to pour part of his can of coke into my crotch! Do you have any idea how sticky that gets over 12-14 hours! :lol: Ok, it's funny now but, please believe me, it wasn't at the time.

End result was that I took a 23 hour flight in coach (total time airport to home), surrounded by 30 crying babies, stuck (literally) in a pair of jeans and was sick for two weeks.

So, no, I've never taken that flight that the Sox took. And the next time you question my experience I will pay a gypsy to curse you with the trip that I had. :) I'm sure you will look forward to that. :p:

Rem

Reds Nd2
03-22-2008, 01:04 AM
And, instead of getting to ride in first class I got the pleasure of sharing a seat in the coach section with a group of missionaries that were bringing about 30 asian orphans back to the states---talk about whinners! :lol:

Whinners? Those orphans should have felt lucky to get out of the sweatshops and see the world for free. Ungrateful rugrats.

And, the crowning indignity was that, about two hours into the flight a little kid, about 5 or 6, walking down the asile, while I was trying to get some sleep, decided, for some unknown reason, to pour part of his can of coke into my crotch! Do you have any idea how sticky that gets over 12-14 hours! :lol: Ok, it's funny now but, please believe me, it wasn't at the time.

Now that is funny. Check your PM.

So, no, I've never taken that flight that the Sox took. And the next time you question my experience I will pay a gypsy to curse you with the trip that I had. :) I'm sure you will look forward to that. :p:

Rem

If I get sick in El Salavador then I'll know who is to blame then. You may get your wish though. I could end up going to China before my tour is over.

blumj
03-22-2008, 01:16 AM
BTW, mlb.tv has the Sox playing the Hanshin Tigers right now. Late night baseball with Japanese announcers is fun.

Reds Nd2
03-22-2008, 01:48 AM
BTW, mlb.tv has the Sox playing the Hanshin Tigers right now. Late night baseball with Japanese announcers is fun.

Sweet! I didn't think MLB was showing the game tonight. Thanks.

WMR
03-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Anyone have a link to it?

blumj
03-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Sweet! I didn't think MLB was showing the game tonight. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure they're showing all of the exhibitions, but you might have to go through the link on the front of mlb.com instead of the media center. Oakland-Yomiuri at 6 AM.

blumj
03-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Anyone have a link to it?

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp

WMR
03-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks. Whoops, guess you have to subscribe to watch it? I thought they might broadcast it for free (haha).

Reds Nd2
03-22-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm pretty sure they're showing all of the exhibitions, but you might have to go through the link on the front of mlb.com instead of the media center. Oakland-Yomiuri at 6 AM.

Thanks for the tip. I was going from the multimedia guide. We need a game thread for this.

Reds Nd2
03-22-2008, 02:07 AM
I don't know Japanese, but I swear they just said Manny should get a haircut and get a real job.

blumj
03-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Love the way he says Youkilis. Yoooo-kee-lisss.

Gainesville Red
03-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Feels odd to be opening the season of "the American Pastime" at 6 a.m. Eastern time, in Tokyo

KronoRed
03-22-2008, 05:40 AM
Feels odd to be opening the season of "the American Pastime" at 6 a.m. Eastern time, in Tokyo

Get up early or stay up all night?

Eh..it's AL ball, tivo it and sleep. :D

Ltlabner
03-22-2008, 06:37 AM

Thats a 17 hour flight on a chartered plane (I am assuming), not beng stuck in coach.

That's staying in first class hotels and eating the best food.

And their big "work day" is playing a baseball game. Giveme a break.

Yea...that's not "hideous" considering millions of people have to undergo the same situations (in commerical, in so-so hotels and then going to demanding business meetings where millions of dollars may be at stake) nearly everyday. Oh yea, they don't get $40,000 extra money to do it, either. So no, I'm not crying any tears for the players having to undertake such an ownerous trip.

I'm walking a trade show in Vegas in a couple weeks. I'll have to fly out the morning after opening day, walk the show for two days and then my flight home doesn't get me into Dayton until 11:30pm (with an hour drive home afterwards). Plus I'll be going through O'Hare so my chances of getting stranded are pretty good. Of coruse I'll be in the office at 8:00am the next day, scrambing to catch up on 3 days out of the office and trying to get ready to leave for another trip the following Tuesday.

Guess I should demand that the boss give me an extra check for that "hideous" trip?

Ltlabner
03-22-2008, 06:39 AM
If the players were really principled and believed in the 'cause' they would have just ponied up the money out of their share. I guess they were to 'noble' to do that.

I wonder if the players will be "noble" and chip in when the owners are faced with some $1,000,000 loss/unforseen expence? Somehow, I think the players will be too busy counting their millions to take that call.

blumj
03-23-2008, 12:07 AM
A's-Tigers is about to start, Denorfia is starting in CF for Oakland.

Reds Nd2
03-23-2008, 01:07 AM
A's-Tigers is about to start, Denorfia is starting in CF for Oakland.

I want a Fukuhara jersey.

Reds Nd2
03-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Guess I should demand that the boss give me an extra check for that "hideous" trip?

You'll never know, if you don't ask.

Ltlabner
03-23-2008, 08:19 AM
You'll never know, if you don't ask.

It would never cross my mind to ask for extra money to do my job on such a micro level.

Employees who start demanding extra money to do their jobs on a regular basis are usually the first to find themselves geting a pink slip or mysteriously "down-sized". It never pays to be a pain in your bosses rump.

Of corse, then they are shocked because they were such great employees. :rolleyes:

pedro
03-23-2008, 01:42 PM
The NY Times this morning said that the players threat was a violation of federal labor law and they could have been held liable for damages if they had gone ahead with it.

Apparently, union workers are not allowed to negotiate for supervisors.

Screwball
03-25-2008, 02:05 PM
In case anybody was wondering, this farce of an Opening Day ended up with the Red Sox beating the A's 6-5 in 10 innings.

KronoRed
03-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Anyone stay up to watch?
;)

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Anyone stay up to watch?
;)

I woke up just in time to see Brandon Moss tie it up on a solo HR in the 9th. :)

blumj
03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Anyone stay up to watch?
;)
Stay up, or get up? It started at 6:05 AM, and I am ashamed to admit that I slept through the first 2 innings.

redsmetz
03-25-2008, 03:16 PM
In case anybody was wondering, this farce of an Opening Day ended up with the Red Sox beating the A's 6-5 in 10 innings.

I'm not sure I agree it's a farce - certainly it has a downside for the team's local fans, but frankly, I think MLB does well to promote the game around the world. We're behind the 8-ball compared to soccer with the rest of the world. I think starts like this promotes the game advantageously.

blumj
03-25-2008, 03:33 PM
I woke up just in time to see Brandon Moss tie it up on a solo HR in the 9th. :)
That was great. There's nothing better than when the young guy who wasn't even supposed to play gets the big hit.

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2008, 03:48 PM
That was great. There's nothing better than when the young guy who wasn't even supposed to play gets the big hit.

Yep. First major league homerun too.

How about oh Manny being Manny again? Stood in the batters box until that ball hit off the wall. ;)

blumj
03-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Yep. First major league homerun too.

How about oh Manny being Manny again? Stood in the batters box until that ball hit off the wall. ;)
I'm so used to that I don't even notice anymore.

remdog
03-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I picked up the game in the 5th and watched it till the end. Actually, a pretty good game, what I saw of it. The A's could have easily won it in the 9th except for a big baserunning blunder.

It was interesting that the announcer (Gary Thorn, and BTW, did he get $40K extra to go to Japan? ;) ) mentioned that the A's were more than a little annoyed that the BoSox were getting all of the attention in Toyko and most people were paying as much attention to the A's as the tourning team got with the Harlem Globetrotters. (My analogy, not Thorn's.)

Rem

remdog
03-25-2008, 04:07 PM

No doubt Manny is a jerk (who now wants to stay in Boston [for a new six year contract]). But he is a jerk with a really, really big bat! :eek:

Rem

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
That baserunning blunder by Emil Brown was is easily the worst blunder of the 2008 regular season so far. ;) But seriously, what was he thinking? The next two batters singled too, so at worst it would have been a tie game and runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. Papelbon just didn't have it today. Of course neither did Huston Street.

Screwball
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure I agree it's a farce - certainly it has a downside for the team's local fans, but frankly, I think MLB does well to promote the game around the world. We're behind the 8-ball compared to soccer with the rest of the world. I think starts like this promotes the game advantageously.

They don't have the Reds playing the first game of the season. Factor in that it's not even in our country (and several days before any other teams start), and to me, that's a farce (not that I'm bitter or anything ;)).

blumj
03-25-2008, 06:54 PM
They don't have the Reds playing the first game of the season. Factor in that it's not even in our country (and several days before any other teams start), and to me, that's a farce (not that I'm bitter or anything ;)).
But it's not Opening Day, though. It's just a few games played a little early because of logistics. Opening Day is still Opening Day.

Screwball
03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
But it's not Opening Day, though. It's just a few games played a little early because of logistics. Opening Day is still Opening Day.

Yes, I'm arguing semantics here, but I consider the first game played of the regular season Opening Day. The Reds didn't play a regular season game today. My bitterness grows.

blumj
03-26-2008, 07:49 AM
I slept through the first inning again, but Chris Denorfia just drove in the A's first run.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
A's won 5-1 to split the series. Rich Harden had an impressive start for the A's, allowing just one run (Manny solo HR) on three hits with three walks and nine strikeouts. He could be one of the more dominant pitchers in the game uf he could stay healthy for a full season.

blumj
03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
A's won 5-1 to split the series. Rich Harden had an impressive start for the A's, allowing just one run (Manny solo HR) on three hits with three walks and nine strikeouts. He could be one of the more dominant pitchers in the game uf he could stay healthy for a full season.

Easily. And Casey got his first Red Sox AB in the 9th, runner on 1st, predictable result.

Chip R
03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Easily. And Casey got his first Red Sox AB in the 9th, runner on 1st, predictable result.

He hugged the on deck hitter? ;)

blumj
03-26-2008, 11:51 AM
He hugged the on deck hitter? ;)
I'm already so sick of hearing how nice he is. I'm naturally suspicious of anyone that the Boston media vultures like anyway, but already there's been some murmuring among the worst of the radio guys about how wrong it is for a career .300 hitter to be sitting behind a guy who refuses to appear on their show. Well, that's not quite how they phrase it, but it's what they mean.

Chip R
03-26-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm already so sick of hearing how nice he is. I'm naturally suspicious of anyone that the Boston media vultures like anyway, but already there's been some murmuring among the worst of the radio guys about how wrong it is for a career .300 hitter to be sitting behind a guy who refuses to appear on their show. Well, that's not quite how they phrase it, but it's what they mean.

That's the media for you. And it's not just Boston either.

KronoRed
03-26-2008, 01:56 PM

A Casey! awesome that he's still got it:cool:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=280326111