PDA

View Full Version : Salmon traded to Royals

StrikeIndicator
03-19-2008, 04:49 PM
details to follow,

I wish only the very best for him, he is a fine young man and a real citizen.

wpenn4
03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I was going to make an "I hope it's not for Jason LaRue" joke, but I looked it up first, and what do you know, he's a Card now. Completely missed that.

GoReds33
03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
That sucks. Salmon looked like he had some promise as a middle relief pitcher.

Joseph
03-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Are you sure about this?

StrikeIndicator
03-19-2008, 05:07 PM
yes
probably not a coincidence that the two teams will not be playing each other in the regular season

redhawk61
03-19-2008, 05:07 PM
How do you not have details now. If you heard it on the radio or on a website wouldn't you be able to tell us the source

mound_patrol
03-19-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm not seeing anything on any Royals message boards.

NorrisHopper30
03-19-2008, 05:22 PM
http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

Hey Meat
03-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Gobble, Gobble?

BearcatShane
03-19-2008, 05:24 PM
I have a strong feeling Krivsky is opening up a spot on the 40 man roster for two players coming our way in a Freel or Hatteberg deal.

NorrisHopper30
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I have a strong feeling Krivsky is opening up a spot on the 40 man roster for two players coming our way in a Freel or Hatteberg deal.

Agreed, something 'big' is about to happen.

StrikeIndicator
03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Brad was not taking up a spot on the 40 man

Ben
03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
NVM

Rounding Third
03-19-2008, 06:04 PM
1530 Homer

http://www.1530homer.com/cc-common/mainheadlines2.html?feed=162898&article=3429018

The Reds announced Wednesday they have sent RHP Brad Salmon to the Kansas City Royals in exchange for a player to be named later or cash. The 28-year old Salmon made his Major League debut in 2007. The right-hander pitched in 26 games with an 0-1 record and a 4.13 ERA for the Reds while splitting time between Cincinnati and AAA Louisville. He struck out 22 batters in 24 big league innings, allowing 22 hits and walking 10. He didn't figure into the plans of the Reds bullpen this year, after the acquisitions in the off season of Francisco Cordero and Jeremy Affeldt. This spring for the Reds, Salmon posted a 4.50 ERA in 5 relief appearences (6ip, 7h, 3er, 3bb, 9k).

mlbfan30
03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Isn't it great they could send away one of the best bullpen pitchers from last year for cash, but not get rid of the worst pitcher last year.... because of cash? If they released Stanton and used Salmon, it will still cost the same...I don't get it.

JWP
03-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Miguel Olivo, anyone?

tommycash
03-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Why did we make this trade? It makes no sense whatsoever. He was under minor league contract and we got nothing for him. We didn't have to trade him, he could have started out the year in AAA and then helped the big league team out. Can someone enlighten me on why we did this.

03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Salmon is 28 and has been fighting control issues, especially the last few years. He has a good arm, but had trouble locating both in and out of the strike zone last year, and this spring.
Sure he could miss bats, but he also could miss the strike zone and his spots just as often.
I would have loved to have seen him put it together, but he hasn't, and has fallen out of the depth chart. I wish him well, but don't really miss him.

HokieRed
03-19-2008, 07:49 PM
We've actually got an abundance of guys who will need the work at AAA. Roenicke, Pelland, Viola, maybe Herrera, McBeth, Coutlangus to start with, and then it's likely that at least some of Mercker, Brower, Majewski, Bray (if on rehab), Lehr, James etc. will need work there too. This is assuming the Reds pen looks pretty close to the following: Cordero, Weathers, Burton, Affeldt, Coffey, Stanton, and one other who could certainly be Belisle or Volquez depending on how Dusty sorts out the starters. In short, there is no abundance of AAA innings. I like the move, for all sorts of reasons, even though I liked Salmon. For one thing, it's a good move for him.

03-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Why did we make this trade? It makes no sense whatsoever. He was under minor league contract and we got nothing for him. We didn't have to trade him, he could have started out the year in AAA and then helped the big league team out. Can someone enlighten me on why we did this.

He was dropped from the 40 after the season, and then signed to a minor league deal the same day. In return for him letting the Reds do that, they probably promised him that if he did not make the opening day roster, they would trade him. Just a guess.

AccordinglyReds
03-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Good luck Salmon. I liked seeing him at the Bats games and hoped he'd get more of a shot with the Reds, but alas that won't happen.

Anxious to see what happens.

GoReds33
03-19-2008, 09:48 PM
He was dropped from the 40 after the season, and then signed to a minor league deal the same day. In return for him letting the Reds do that, they probably promised him that if he did not make the opening day roster, they would trade him. Just a guess.Not to say you're not right, but I would doubt making a promise like that to a young player. IIRC, he has no say in if he goes down to the minors or not. Sure he signed the minor league contract, but everybody has to have a contract.

roby
03-19-2008, 11:58 PM
This is a shame. I liked Salmon a lot and was hoping he'd put it all together this year. I certainly hope the Reds didn't just give him away. Hope they got somebody decent.

Va Red Fan
03-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Salmon didn't fit into the plans for the future, so they got what they could for him - either a low level minor leaguer or cash. This is a great move for him. He now has a shot - something he would not have gotten here.

I must admit, it is just the nature of this board to see any move as a huge mistake without even knowing the details. Some of you would have rejected Roy Hobbs. I can see it now - he's old, I've never heard of him, he's not a baller - look at his hair!

Newman4
03-20-2008, 08:03 AM
I was never impressed with Salmon. His age is starting to become a factor and he has control issues. Has a decent fastball, nothing else special. Maybe whatever they get back form KC will pan out.

CySeymour
03-20-2008, 10:06 AM
I was never impressed with Salmon. His age is starting to become a factor and he has control issues. Has a decent fastball, nothing else special. Maybe whatever they get back form KC will pan out.

I would tend to lean this way, also. Seems his control would become a factor sooner rather than later. However, I think the organization could have used him in some sort of package to get something of use from another team.

AmarilloRed
03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I suppose the writing was on the wall after they removed him from the 40 man roster. He was one of the best relievers last year, but he simply was not in the Reds future. I am glad he will get a chance somewhere else, but I will miss him.

roby
03-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Salmon didn't fit into the plans for the future, so they got what they could for him - either a low level minor leaguer or cash. This is a great move for him. He now has a shot - something he would not have gotten here.

I must admit, it is just the nature of this board to see any move as a huge mistake without even knowing the details. Some of you would have rejected Roy Hobbs. I can see it now - he's old, I've never heard of him, he's not a baller - look at his hair!

Dude, Roy Hobbs is a fantasy character! :rolleyes:

captainmorgan07
03-20-2008, 05:35 PM
No great loss with Mr. Salmon. He's 28 we have much younger guys in the minors who need the innings he would of taken up at AAA. I was never really impressed with Salmon or understood alot of the man love he got on this board. He was an average pitcher. Wayne did a good job by flipping him to a team that he can probably be competitive to try and make the big club.

Handofdeath
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
As a Royals fan, I can tell you part of the reason for the trade was probably Zack Greinke moving from the bullpen back to the rotation and Yabuta not pitching well in ST. They brought Yabuta in from Japan to be the set-up guy for Joakim Soria and he's been getting killed. Salmon is going to be a 7th/8th inning guy and I think it's a good deal for the Royals. I'm curious to see who the Reds get. My guess would be one of the Royals OF's

AmarilloRed
03-21-2008, 12:44 AM
. Salmon is going to be a 7th/8th inning guy and I think it's a good deal for the Royals.

It might turn out that the original premise of my thread will turn out to be correct. Salmon will turn out to be a set-up man; only for the Royals instead of the Reds.