PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in swapping Belisle for Anthony Reyes?

Benihana
03-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Would anyone be interested in swapping Matt Belisle for Anthony Reyes?

Both are talented pitchers who have struggled in their current environments, and may be well served by a change of scenery. Both have been rumored to be available, but it's obviously a big risk- magnified further when you're dealing with St. Louis. Would you consider such a deal?

Matt700wlw
03-20-2008, 11:09 AM
There is a Jocketty connection...

Chip R
03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Good God, no.

Highlifeman21
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Why give up on Belisle?

Tom Servo
03-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I'd be too afraid of Duncan turning him into an ace.

Patrick Bateman
03-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Duncan's mastery is overblown to an extent. He's shown what he can do with legit talent (ie. Carp), but many of his reclamation projects (Suppan, Bottenfield, etc.) have as much to do with superior defense behind the Cards staff making the pitchers look good.

Clearly he's been successful, but he's never turned a guy like Belisle into an ace. Reyes has good stuff and he hasn't done squat in the majors.

As for the idea of grabbing Reyes, I do like him, and I think he's an undervalued commodity. I think the previous hype he had as a top of the rotation starter is never going to happen...
flyball rates are bad... so is control. Too much to turn around at this stage. Still, I think he will turn into a solid back to mid rotation starter. More or less what Belisle is... looks like a sideways move... maybe more potential... but less of a known quality. It merits consideration.

fearofpopvol1
03-20-2008, 02:29 PM
I think I'd keep Belisle and I don't think the Cards would do it anyhow. Reyes is younger and does have more potential upside.

Tom Servo
03-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Duncan's mastery is overblown to an extent. He's shown what he can do with legit talent (ie. Carp), but many of his reclamation projects (Suppan, Bottenfield, etc.) have as much to do with superior defense behind the Cards staff making the pitchers look good.

Clearly he's been successful, but he's never turned a guy like Belisle into an ace. Reyes has good stuff and he hasn't done squat in the majors.

I will admit it is quite overblown. Sidney Ponson, Jeff Weaver, and Kip Wells are examples of guys he couldn't fix. But I think Belisle has "legit talent" and could potentially be a fixture in a team's rotation.

*BaseClogger*
03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Why?

BTW AK--I think you are on to something with a correlation between pitching coaches who have a reputation as 'career savers' and strong defense...

I will admit it is quite overblown. Sidney Ponson, Jeff Weaver, and Kip Wells are examples of guys he couldn't fix. But I think Belisle has "legit talent" and could potentially be a fixture in a team's rotation.

Mike Maroth