PDA

View Full Version : Sun Deck Thread Ideas

EddieMilner
03-20-2008, 01:12 PM
I had a couple of ideas for ongoing threads for the Sun Deck. They may be lame ideas, but I wanted to see if anyone else like these ideas.
1. Since we can't do a Game Chat in the Sun Deck, I was thinking about maybe doing an inning summary thread for each game. Someone who is watching the game, starts it, places the lineups in, and then updates what occurred at the end of each inning of play. I can't see many games (thanks to MLBs awesome blackout rules for someone that lives 4.5 hours away from the stadium), and the ORG game threads get really long and are hard to follow with all the woohoos, way to go, etc. So this would basically allow those that don't see the game to have more insight than looking at the boxscore. Basically the thread creator would make nine posts per game explaining what transpired the previous inning, and adding comments that aren't obvious from the boxscore. I know C Trent does this as well, but I think it would be nice to get a point of view from someone else as well.
2. I know I read the ORG quite a bit, and I thought it would be fun to start some polls to rank the Sun Decks favorite ORG posters (much like the Minor League rankings we did during the offseason. And since no one in the ORG (besides mods) can speak in it, it would be interesting to see whose opinions or insights the Sun Deck values the most.

Anyone like either of these ideas?

CRedsLarkin11
03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I really like the 1st idea but for some reason the board doesn't want the Sun Deck giving any type of summary of the game during the game. If they would allow it, I'm all for it, I would enjoy reading it when I don't get a chance to see the game. I don't really care much for the 2nd thread at all, some might though

AmarilloRed
03-20-2008, 01:21 PM
You can enter Chat at any time to discuss the game. It may not be exactly the same as a game thread, but it would seem to me those who are interested in discussing Reds games could do it on Chat. This would removed the need for an innings summary,IMO.

I suppose you could create a poll ranking ORG members if the mods have no objections. I see no reason why they should.

EddieMilner
03-20-2008, 01:26 PM
You can enter Chat at any time to discuss the game. It may not be exactly the same as a game thread, but it would seem to me those who are interested in discussing Reds games could do it on Chat. This would removed the need for an innings summary,IMO.

But there isn't a record of the game, so a noon game is difficult to figure out what happened after the game. My hopes are, if its a late night game out west, the next morning I could read a quick thread to understand what happened in the game, without trolling through the entire game thread. I don't think we should have other people making comments other than the thread creator. However I think it would be okay to ask questions for those who watched the game to chime in. I think those questions should hold off until after the game is over though, so that the start of the thread is the inning by inning summary and then questions and answers would follow.

DannyB
03-20-2008, 03:01 PM

I suppose you could create a poll ranking ORG members if the mods have no objections. I see no reason why they should.

Have you tried chat?
you have it to yourself.

ChatterRed
03-20-2008, 03:07 PM
It's flat out stupid to not allow a game thread on the Sun Deck. More "we're better than you" stuff by the ORG. That's the only reason I can think they don't want us to have one.

Oh well.

Dracodave
03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
It's flat out stupid to not allow a game thread on the Sun Deck. More "we're better than you" stuff by the ORG. That's the only reason I can think they don't want us to have one.

Oh well.

Okay for the People in ORG that I actually respect, I'll stand up for them by saying this..

We had our chance to have game threads, they went off topic..horribly. They started being more about how crappy players were and how bad the Reds sucked then about the game. I'm not denying that a Game Thread/ I-B-I Thread would a good idea for us, but let a MOD lock the thread and only let that MOD post updates..or a specific person they chose to do so.

Sure you'll scream favoritism (Not YOU as in you but the "unverisal YOU") however if thats what i takes, thats what it takes. Let's not isolated this forum anymore than we already are.

One a side note I moved to the chat and found it was more fun anyway dealing with some of the nicer people from the ORG, but they know who they are and that I respect them.

macro
03-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I had a couple of ideas for ongoing threads for the Sun Deck. They may be lame ideas, but I wanted to see if anyone else like these ideas.
1. Since we can't do a Game Chat in the Sun Deck, I was thinking about maybe doing an inning summary thread for each game. Someone who is watching the game, starts it, places the lineups in, and then updates what occurred at the end of each inning of play. I can't see many games (thanks to MLBs awesome blackout rules for someone that lives 4.5 hours away from the stadium), and the ORG game threads get really long and are hard to follow with all the woohoos, way to go, etc. So this would basically allow those that don't see the game to have more insight than looking at the boxscore. Basically the thread creator would make nine posts per game explaining what transpired the previous inning, and adding comments that aren't obvious from the boxscore. I know C Trent does this as well, but I think it would be nice to get a point of view from someone else as well.

Since it would be a monologue, it wouldn't seem to carry with it the problems that game threads do. However, I seem to recall someone mentioning that MLB has been cracking down on sites that provide descriptions and accounts of games, so that alone might prohibit this.

2. I know I read the ORG quite a bit, and I thought it would be fun to start some polls to rank the Sun Decks favorite ORG posters (much like the Minor League rankings we did during the offseason. And since no one in the ORG (besides mods) can speak in it, it would be interesting to see whose opinions or insights the Sun Deck values the most.

I'm speaking only for myself, here, and not for all the admins and mods, but if there could be some way to guarantee that only positive comments were made, this might be acceptable. But wouldn't it be unfair to discuss people in a forum where the discussion was unsolicited and they have no way to reply to what's said about them?

I see this doing much more harm than good.

Let's keep the discussion on the ideas that have been presented, and not make this another open forum on game threads. That issue has been thoroughly discussed here (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65836).

AmarilloRed
03-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Have you tried chat?
you have it to yourself.

I have tried it recently, and I may again once the regular season starts. There were about 5-7 people participating during the game, and I rather enjoyed it. I don't think you can truly say you have it to yourself.

TeamSelig
03-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Chat sucks. Badly.

GoReds33
03-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Have you tried chat?
you have it to yourself.During the games there is a good amoung of people on there sometimes. Chat is better than not talking about the game at all.

DannyB
03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
During the games there is a good amoung of people on there sometimes. Chat is better than not talking about the game at all.

Been there,Heard the echo............

Really though I have caught 5 or 6 in there before.

schmidty622
03-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Why the hell would you want to rank ORG members. That sounds like the boys in 4th grade ranking the girls they'd most like to hold hands with.

Although, I sometimes think that the ORG would like us in the sundeck to feel as though we're in the 4th grade.

LouisvilleCARDS
03-22-2008, 10:32 PM
is there an IRC link to the Chat room, or is it a Java only chat? If you could make it compatable and give the server and chat name we could get a decent IRC chat going for games and sticky it on the front page.

mlbfan30
03-22-2008, 10:41 PM
If everyone just goes to the chat instead of complaining it's empty; then it won't be empty.

redsupport
03-22-2008, 10:52 PM
A tautology