PDA

View Full Version : Bruce, McBeth, Roenicke (and others) to AAA

reds44
03-20-2008, 02:41 PM
From the Reds by way of Trent:

Today the Reds optioned to Class AAA Louisville OF Drew T. Anderson and RHP Marcus McBeth and reassigned to minor league camp RHP Josh Roenicke, RHP Tom Shearn and OF Jay Bruce…the Reds have 44 players remaining in camp, including LHP Bobby Livingston (left shoulder injury) and SS Alex Gonzalez (left knee).

OnBaseMachine
03-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I suspect Jay will destroy AAA pitching for about a month or two and then hopefully get a callup to Cincy for good. Same with Roenicke and McBeth, we'll most likely see both in Cincy by the first of the summer.

rotnoid
03-20-2008, 03:03 PM
If Freel gets traded does that change things, or was Bruce always destined for Louisville?

MrCinatit
03-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Well, shoot, that is a downer - but I could see the writing on the wall for a while.

I hope Jay will be back up very soon.

Matt700wlw
03-20-2008, 03:05 PM
If Freel gets traded does that change things, or was Bruce always destined for Louisville?

Always. They won't say it though.

The only way Bruce made this team out of spring training is if he absolutely gave them no choice. Hopefully within the first couple of months, he gives them no choice.

traderumor
03-20-2008, 03:07 PM
If Freel gets traded does that change things, or was Bruce always destined for Louisville?I'd say the latter, and I think that position has merit if the Reds determined at the end of last season that Bruce was not going to make the OD roster. They know what they have with him, so what he did this spring should not enter into the equation at all. The funny thing is that if part of the plan is to avoid some fanfare like the Homer circus, OD is the best time to do it since it is already an eventful day, but it certainly isn't a bad idea to put let a 21 year old get a few more AAA ABs, play every day, and bring him up in-season.

KronoRed
03-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Bruce won't hit town until there is a gaping hole in the OF, even if Freel goes there is Hopper and of course our starting CF Patterson, all 3 need to go or fall flat for Bruce to come back, assuming Dunn and JR don't get traded/hurt.

Kc61
03-20-2008, 03:39 PM
The Reds weren't going with Bruce in CF with Griff/Dunn in the corners. They wanted a very fast defender who covers a ton of ground. Bruce will be Griffey's replacement in right and will ease into that position over the course of 2008, unless Griff gets hurt in which case Bruce will just take over.

Reds still with 42 active guys in camp on March 20. Hmmm.

Matt700wlw
03-20-2008, 03:43 PM
The Reds weren't going with Bruce in CF with Griff/Dunn in the corners. They wanted a very fast defender who covers a ton of ground.

They traded that guy, didn't they?

I'm just sayin' ;)

KronoRed
03-20-2008, 03:43 PM

They sure did.

Reds1
03-20-2008, 03:45 PM
It's actually the right decision IMO. I'd say if Griffey went down with an injury Bruce will come up. It would have to be serious though. If it's a 15 day trip they won't start the clock unless Bruce is on Fire. He's just been very ave. this spring. Patterson, Freel, and Hopper have all had good springs and better choice defensively and as leadoff hitters.

OnBaseMachine
03-20-2008, 03:52 PM

I'm just sayin' ;)

Who? Hamilton? He didn't cover a ton of ground plus they got a much needed stuf starting pitcher in return for him.

Or you talking about Denorfia? He's nearly 28 years old and has a .244/.340/.341 line this spring.

M2
03-20-2008, 03:54 PM
When will one of these demotion thread titles mercifully include the name Majewski? When? It's not much to ask.

TOBTTReds
03-20-2008, 03:54 PM

I'm just sayin' ;)

He may have been fast and cover a lot of ground, but he wasn't a very good CF. Also, being so injury prone, the last thing I want was him trying to cover CF with Dunn and Jr on the sides.

MartyFan
03-20-2008, 03:55 PM

I'm just sayin' ;)

And they SHOULD have traded that guy...Volquez (or a pitcher like him) wasn't going to be in a Reds uniform any other way.

Josh is one of my favorite Reds stories EVER...I hate like heck that he is in a different uniform but does he have one two or five years in the tank after he beat his body so bad? How bad did we need another arm for the rotation?

Matt700wlw
03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
I know why they traded Hamilton, and I understood it at the time, and still do...but it better pan out...early signs are that it will.... but the whole idea was to get Bruce to the bigs...the minor league player of the year doesn't have anything more to prove in AAA.

Getting Patterson was pretty much the writing on the wall, even though I think the decision was made when camp opened.

MartyFan
03-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I know why they traded Hamilton, and I understood it at the time, and still do...but it better pan out...early signs are that it will.... but the whole idea was to get Bruce to the bigs...the minor league player of the year doesn't have anything more to prove in AAA.

Getting Patterson was pretty much the writing on the wall, even though I think the decision was made when camp opened.

Whose idea?

Matt700wlw
03-20-2008, 04:00 PM
That's what I thought the idea was...especially when they didn't trade any of them to get a proven stud pitcher

Apparantely not.

remdog
03-20-2008, 04:07 PM

I'm just sayin' ;)

Mike Cammeron? Otherwise the answer is: NO.

Rem

membengal
03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I think the idea was to get some desperately needed pitching. Preferably pitching with a chance to be special.

fearofpopvol1
03-20-2008, 04:44 PM

I think Bruce has plenty left to prove in AAA. He's only played there a few weeks and he didn't exactly dominate spring training. I don't think he's far away from being ready, but a little more time will not hurt him at all.

RedsManRick
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I think the idea was to get some desperately needed pitching. Preferably pitching with a chance to be special.

I agree. Especially given the contract status of both Dunn and Junior. Hamilton was traded as a way of cashing in our chips and acquiring more pitching in one move. Bruce is on his own timeline.

reds44
03-20-2008, 04:53 PM

I'm just sayin' ;)
Who?

Certainly not Josh Hamilton.

RedsBaron
03-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I wonder if the Reds are planning not to call up Bruce until May or June so as to avoid having him achieve "Super Two" status.

RichRed
03-20-2008, 05:07 PM
When will one of these demotion thread titles mercifully include the name Majewski? When? It's not much to ask.

The Teflon Reliever.

Matt700wlw
03-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I wonder if the Reds are planning not to call up Bruce until May or June so as to avoid having him achieve "Super Two" status.

Possible. Money has a say in everything no matter what they tell you.

Screwball
03-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Some Bruce quotes from Fay (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/):

Bruce: I'll be back

Jay Bruce took his demotion in stride and with class that has become one of his trademarks.

"I'm disappointed," he said. "My goal was to make the team. But I understand they're doing what's in the best interest of me and the team. It's not a slap in the face."

"I'll be back. When I am, I'll look back on this day and laugh."

Bruce said he'll report to Louisville tomorrow.

"I'm batting third and playing center field," he said.

Bruce didn't think the quad injury that cost him five days hurt him.

"I was as ready as I could," he said. "I played well. I thought my defense was fine. I didn't hit the ball as well as I would have liked."

Bruce hit .262 with a double and three RBI in 42 at-bats.

membengal
03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm pretty sure they have always had him pegged for RF in the majors. Which is where he will be this year if Jr. suffers another lengthy DL stay due to injury. Worst case, Bruce is up in RF next year at the age of 21.

gm
03-20-2008, 05:45 PM

The writing on the wall was spelled "P-A-T-T-E-R-S-O-N"

(damn, I didn't read down to Matt's comment before posting)

Matt700wlw
03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
The writing on the wall was spelled "P-A-T-T-E-R-S-O-N"

It was going to happen anyway. They never had any intention on bringing him north unless he went all Josh Hamilton on them.

Did he get a fair shot? That's debatable...

reds44
03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
It was going to happen anyway. They never had any intention on bringing him north unless he went all Josh Hamilton on them.

He posted a .565 OPS when he had to win a job.

He didn't deserve to win the job.

Nugget
03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
I really don't think the trade of Hamilton was inextricably linked to Bruce being on the opening day roster this year.

Hamilton is an outfielder. He may be a very good outfielder but still and outfielder. He would be in the eyes of the front office competently replaceable. A start of Volquez's quality although not in the league of Bedard or Haren would be eminently more valuable. I mean if it comes down to it Hamilton has been replaced by Patterson et al and we have replaced Milton with Volquez.

gm
03-20-2008, 05:52 PM

ding ding ding ding

gm
03-20-2008, 05:54 PM

Yeah, if it wasn't Patterson it might've been Lofton. But Patterson's relationship with Dusty, his hot spring and his LH bat made "the decision" much easier

Cyclone792
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM

Unfortunately we're going to have to wait until he blows several games in April before that happens.

KronoRed
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
ding ding ding ding

If so then Wayne is a smart guy.

BRM
03-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Unfortunately we're going to have to wait until he blows several games in April before that happens.

You think he's making the club, huh?

gm
03-20-2008, 06:06 PM
If so then Wayne is a smart guy.

I was also thinking if Votto is such a slow starter what's the harm in having his "slow" April/May stats count against Louisville's championship season?

(but that's just crazy talk)

Matt700wlw
03-20-2008, 06:06 PM

I'm not sure on that one...I hope not. He hasn't earned it.

Screwball
03-20-2008, 06:10 PM
He posted a .565 OPS when he had to win a job.

Where do you go to find ST information like that?

Cyclone792
03-20-2008, 06:11 PM

There's not much doubt.

Between Castro, Majewski, Stanton, Fogg, perhaps some others ... there's going to be a collection of just pure lousy ballplayers going north with this team in less than two weeks.

They'll all get playing time, they'll all contribute to losses, then Dusty will sit there tossing out one lame excuse after another why this team can't win games ... when the reason will be right on his own roster.

reds44
03-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Where do you go to find ST information like that?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=cin&baseballScope=CN2&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=all&statType=Overview&timeSubFrame=23&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

Matt700wlw
03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I had stats about Votto April's, but I can't find them....

Spring~Fields
03-20-2008, 06:33 PM
I was also thinking if Votto is such a slow starter what's the harm in having his "slow" April/May stats count against Louisville's championship season?

(but that's just crazy talk)

I don't see what it would hurt for Votto to start the first month in AAA. I don't want to see him get limited playing time and then struggle.

WVRedsFan
03-20-2008, 06:44 PM
It's kind of disappointing to see guys like Majewski get a chance despite horrible statistics and then rag on Jay Bruce and Joey Votto for not batting .400, but if they win I don't care.

Looks like mostly the same team that lost 90+ games last year. Maybe a little better starting pitching, but the bullpen looks horrid. Hatt at first, Phillips at second, Kepp at short, Edwin or Freel at third (sound familiar?), Dunn, Patterson, and Griffeyin the OF. Same old same old. New closer and new CF. Ho hum.

Screwball
03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
It's kind of disappointing to see guys like Majewski get a chance despite horrible statistics and then rag on Jay Bruce and Joey Votto for not batting .400, but if they win I don't care.

Looks like mostly the same team that lost 90+ games last year. Maybe a little better starting pitching, but the bullpen looks horrid. Hatt at first, Phillips at second, Kepp at short, Edwin or Freel at third (sound familiar?), Dunn, Patterson, and Griffeyin the OF. Same old same old. New closer and new CF. Ho hum.

The rotation's going to look quite different (and much improved, IMO). So we got that going for us...

KronoRed
03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
They'll all get playing time, they'll all contribute to losses, then Dusty will sit there tossing out one lame excuse after another why this team can't win games ... when the reason will be right on his own roster.

Wayne would be to blame there as well.

*BaseClogger*
03-20-2008, 07:47 PM
So here is what is going to happen--The Reds will take guys like Stanton, Castro, Majewski, Ryan Freel, Josh Fogg, and Paul Bako north. Guys like Bruce, Votto, and Roenicke will be sent to AAA. The Reds will be 10 games below .500 on June 1, and will start dumping the unwanted "recycled" (just for you edabbs) parts. After guys like Bruce, Votto, and Roenicke gett called up, the team gets hot and I'm sure Dusty will have a great reason for it other than that the right guys are finally on the roster. The Reds finish the season .500, and we are all left wondering: Could they have won the division if the best roster had come north in the first place?

WVRedsFan
03-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Wayne would be to blame there as well.

Never!

cincrazy
03-20-2008, 08:05 PM
So much negativity in the middle of March. How about we let things play out a bit, eh?

*BaseClogger*
03-20-2008, 08:09 PM
So much negativity in the middle of March. How about we let things play out a bit, eh?

.500 season being negative?

I like not to think of optimism, but realism...

Highlifeman21
03-20-2008, 08:30 PM
So here is what is going to happen--The Reds will take guys like Stanton, Castro, Majewski, Ryan Freel, Josh Fogg, and Paul Bako north. Guys like Bruce, Votto, and Roenicke will be sent to AAA. The Reds will be 10 games below .500 on June 1, and will start dumping the unwanted "recycled" (just for you edabbs) parts. After guys like Bruce, Votto, and Roenicke gett called up, the team gets hot and I'm sure Dusty will have a great reason for it other than that the right guys are finally on the roster. The Reds finish the season .500, and we are all left wondering: Could they have won the division if the best roster had come north in the first place?

While Stanton, Castro, Majewski and Bako certainly don't make the Reds good by any stretch of the imagination, replacing them with guys by the name of Roenicke, Bruce, McBeth, Capellan, Votto, or Dickerson don't improve the Reds to the point where they are a lock for the playoffs.

The problem is that there is no current feasible configuration of developed talent in the organization that equates to the Reds being any better than a couple games over .500. If the Reds want to win in 2008, the answer isn't in-house, and hasn't been in-house. Use 2008 as a development year for the kids. If that means that Castro, Bako, Majewski, Stanton and other chaff see significant playing time, I'd rather see that then the Reds continue to lie to us and tell us that we have the makings of a winning ballclub for 2008. 2009, I'd believe. 2008, not so much.

cincrazy
03-20-2008, 09:25 PM
.500 season being negative?

I like not to think of optimism, but realism...

I'm not talking about wins and losses, I'm talking about views towards ownership and management. I highly doubt Wayne is trying to sabotage the season and that he's making irrational decisions. I don't agree with every decision, but is there REALLY that much better of an option than Castro at this point? Or what about Stanton? He's pitched well this spring. The Reds will make the necessary changes in April or May if need be, there's no reason to not give the veterans at least a few weeks to prove that they can stick.

RedlegNation
03-20-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't really have a problem with Bruce being sent to AAA. I wanted him on the Opening Day roster, but I can't really argue with sending him down.

What bothers me most is that this now means that Corey Patterson and his sub-300 on-base percentage are going to be leading off on a regular basis. That makes me vomit.

*BaseClogger*
03-21-2008, 03:08 AM
I'm not talking about wins and losses, I'm talking about views towards ownership and management. I highly doubt Wayne is trying to sabotage the season and that he's making irrational decisions. I don't agree with every decision, but is there REALLY that much better of an option than Castro at this point? Or what about Stanton? He's pitched well this spring. The Reds will make the necessary changes in April or May if need be, there's no reason to not give the veterans at least a few weeks to prove that they can stick.

Just about anyone is a better option than Juan Castro. I'll take Roenicke in the bullpen over guys like Stanton and Majewski...

WMR
03-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Why is he still playing Center in Louisville if the plan is to put him in RF?

It's about time he starts acclimating to right-field if that is indeed where they plan on playing him.

WMR
03-21-2008, 03:33 AM
There's not much doubt.

Between Castro, Majewski, Stanton, Fogg, perhaps some others ... there's going to be a collection of just pure lousy ballplayers going north with this team in less than two weeks.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WMR
03-21-2008, 03:35 AM
While Stanton, Castro, Majewski and Bako certainly don't make the Reds good by any stretch of the imagination, replacing them with guys by the name of Roenicke, Bruce, McBeth, Capellan, Votto, or Dickerson don't improve the Reds to the point where they are a lock for the playoffs.

The problem is that there is no current feasible configuration of developed talent in the organization that equates to the Reds being any better than a couple games over .500. If the Reds want to win in 2008, the answer isn't in-house, and hasn't been in-house. Use 2008 as a development year for the kids. If that means that Castro, Bako, Majewski, Stanton and other chaff see significant playing time, I'd rather see that then the Reds continue to lie to us and tell us that we have the makings of a winning ballclub for 2008. 2009, I'd believe. 2008, not so much.

Including Capellan, McBeth, and Dickerson along with those other names is just ridiculous.

Ron Madden
03-21-2008, 04:02 AM

WOW!

nm.

WMR
03-21-2008, 04:06 AM
WOW!

nm.

:lol:

That's the best response.

Topcat
03-21-2008, 04:29 AM
Right Move for now without a doubt, sure winning now should matter of course. But not at the longterm expense of exposing this kid to incredible pressure of being as many of us refer to him as the "chosen one"

RedlegJake
03-21-2008, 07:33 AM
The rotation's going to look quite different (and much improved, IMO). So we got that going for us...

The rotation is light years ahead of what the Reds started last season with and measurably better than what they ended with. Plus there is reasonable depth in AAA in Bailey (I'm assuming he won't make the team), Maloney and an extra spot guy in Belisle who'll give us a decent long reliever in the meantime.

2009 is the year, not 2008. I believe it always has been. The main reason is that the Reds are counting on too many kids to make that turn around in one year. This is the development year for Bruce, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Votto, Rosales, Roenicke, Viola, Maloney, Dickerson et al. It is the coming of age year for EE, Volquez, and Burton AND it is the last year for Junior, who I love but his bat can no longer carry his defensive liabilities and gimpy legs. When Bruce takes over for him in 09, the OF defense is a long way toward being fixed. Some of these kids will be scratched from the plans this year, a couple will grab their spots before the season ends. The "chaff" the Castros, Majewskis and Stantons will be gone (although they'll indubitably be replaced by newer targets for the ire of 'Zoners). Yet, curiously I don't think the Reds completely lied to us. They WILL compete in 2008 -with a Cordero righted bullpen that aligns much better (how WVReds fan can say this bp is no better baffles me - it isn't as much improved or as deep as the rotation but it will be much better) and in a weak division with a questionable Brewers squad and decent Cubs teams as the main competition I just don't see how the Reds won't be competitive for the division. I think they will but he really strong team is pointing towards 2009. THAT is the current window. By then they'll have a few more young players to consider for '10 like Lotzkar, Francisco, and maybe Stubbs (this year they'll decide on whether Stubbs is going to have a chance or not - place your bets, does he hit or doesn't he? If they like his progress this year then he's part of the plan - if not they'll be looking even farther ahead towards Duran maybe). By the end of next year (2009) they'll also be looking to deal Harang and Arroyo (assuming Volquez, Cueto and Bailey are for real) to load up more prospects to keep it rolling.

I can see the plan. To win it all, even the best teams need a few things to go right, but I can see the plan to get us to that point of contention, the timeline, and even the traces of how to keep it rolling along. It is going to come from within mostly, so how well they draft and develop is going to tell you a lot more than who they trade for (since the kids will be key to those trades - as bait or replacements for the traded player) or acquire in FA because its going to be the core philosophy. I also think Dunn will get a LT contract but Junior's option is a foregone conclusion - a big NO.

The model looks a lot like a blend of Minnesota and Oakland. No effort to be a juggernaut like Boston, or NY but competiive most years. And if it slips apart and neither 08 or 09 works then a Cueto or Volquez or Bailey (whoever is best) could get traded in a Haren like deal for a pile of prospects after 09.

SMcGavin
03-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't really have a problem with Bruce being sent to AAA. I wanted him on the Opening Day roster, but I can't really argue with sending him down.

What bothers me most is that this now means that Corey Patterson and his sub-300 on-base percentage are going to be leading off on a regular basis. That makes me vomit.

Agreed. If we carry Castro on the bench, it's not that big of a deal. Stanton as the last guy in the bullpen is bad, but again not that big of a deal. Corey Patterson batting leadoff is a big deal. If Bruce is not ready just play Freel.

Steve4192
03-21-2008, 11:05 AM

The problem is that there is no current feasible configuration of developed talent in the organization that equates to the Reds being any better than a couple games over .500.

In the NL Central, a couple of games over 0.500 puts you right in the thick of the playoff hunt. For all his faults, Dusty does have an uncanny ability to wring out a bunch of extra wins in his first year with a new team (+31 with the Giants, +21 with the Cubs). Granted, his act wears thin after a while, but that first year is usually glorious.

This Reds team is good enough to win 85 games, make the playoffs, and then get swept in the first round of the playoffs just like the 2007 NL Central champion Cubs.

Screwball
03-21-2008, 11:08 AM
This Reds team is good enough to win 85 games, make the playoffs, and then get swept in the first round of the playoffs just like the 2007 NL Central champion Cubs.

:lol: I'd still call that a successful season.

OnBaseMachine
03-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Two more cuts today:

From the Reds:

Today the Reds reassigned to minor league camp C Alvin Colina and LHP Scott Sauerbeck. The spring training roster is at 42, including injured players LHP Bobby Livingston and SS Alex Gonzalez.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Steve4192
03-21-2008, 11:14 AM
:lol: I'd still call that a successful season.

After the last seven years of futility, I would too.

Heck, I'd even settle for a season like 1999, where the Reds miss the playoffs but are in the race until the final day of the season.

bucksfan
03-21-2008, 11:40 AM
It would have been exciting to have Bruce on the Opening Day roster, but I can live with this. I don't think the fact we traded Hamilton should have any bearing on whether Jay starts the year in the bigs or not. That decision needs to be made on its own. If he is truly ready, he willprovie it in the 1st month or 2 in AAA and we'll see him soon enough.

Unfortunately, Bruce's send-down, combined with the injury the Gonzalez +the acquisition of Patterson + the retention (so far) of Freeper ( I borrowed this, or a version of it, from someone else!) leads to a roster that seems to fall below what most of us had originally pictured over the winter. I don't think it will stay that way for long though, and the Reds should compete well enough until a "more optimal" roster is in place.

I would definitely like to see Votto head north however . He showed last year what he can do in the majors, so I do not see this as rushing or pressuring him. He knows he can hit major league pitching. His absence on the 25 would seem to greatly weaken our bench. Having Votto starting + Hatte as backup would help out at least somewhat with our bench situation.

The improved pitching outlook helps to offset some of these early worries in my mind.