PDA

View Full Version : Volquez to pen??

UPRedsFan
03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Volquez only pitched 2 innings tonight in relief of Bailey.

Could they be considering him for the pen?

Both Belisle and Fogg in the rotation and the pen would be

Volquez
Affeldt
Stanton
Bray
Burton
Weathers
Cordero

Could be the best bullpen in the NL. But I'd rather have Volquez start!!!

UPRedsFan
03-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Cowboy just answered my question.

He speculates Volquez is pitching in relief tonight because he'll be the 5th starter which won't be needed in the first week.

Rocket_Fuel
03-20-2008, 10:51 PM
I hope so. I seriously hope the Reds aren't hellbent on forcing Belisle into the starting rotation.

captainmorgan07
03-20-2008, 11:06 PM
my guess is the rotation goes as follows harang, arroyo, cueto, fogg, volquez. This breaks up the two power arms of cueto and volquez with the soft tossing fogg. Volquez out of the pen the first few weeks allows us to lessen the load on some of the arms in thepen. It will also allow him to keep his innings and pitch count down so he doesn't have tired arm at the end of the year.

fugowitribe
03-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Could be the best bullpen in the NL. But I'd rather have Volquez start!!![/QUOTE]

Easy now, don't get too excited. It is hard to consider any bullpen with Stanton and Coffey the best.

captainmorgan07
03-21-2008, 12:13 AM
actually coffey's pitched well so far this spring. It's Burton who's been struggling badly.

mlbfan30
03-21-2008, 12:40 AM
Spring Training Stats don't matter

BLEEDS
03-21-2008, 01:03 AM
They will need a 5th starter in April. They have TWO (2) off days. April 1st - the SECOND day of the season, March 31st is opening day, and April 14th.

Opening day starter is Harang on the 31st. Then we have Thirteen (13) games in a row from the 2nd to the 13th. Off day. Then Sixteen (16) games in a row from the 15th-30th.

Currently, IMO, they have Volquez slotted to pitch April 4th, 9th, and get the 14th off, the 19th, 24th and 29th. I'm guessing they have Arroyo set to pitch April 2nd, and Cueto will get the 3rd. Harang pitches on 5 days rest on the 5th or we can give it to Fogg or Belisle or do something totally different with the kids for rest.

Having your 2nd day off is REALLY stupid, and screws up our rotation. I think that's another reason we keep Belisle on the Big Club for the first week.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
03-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Dusty is an idiot.

gedred69
03-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Saw Volquez pitch Sunday in person. He was masterful. A lot of people got excited a week ago when he struck out a bunch of hitters, yet in between he gave up hits and runs. Sunday however, he was totally awesome. Phillies kept waiting on his FB, but he threw it sparingly. His off-speed pitch confounded good hitters, compounded with---I swear---what looked like a 12 to 6 curveball. Only to watch him throw a high 95+ fastball that ate up Ryan Howard for strike 3!!! He looked like a major league ready rotation pitcher. But, that's just what I saw, IN PERSON!!!

fadetoblack2880
03-22-2008, 07:28 AM
This is probably the Reds toughest April schedule in years. I can't think of an April in recent memory where they've had only two days off. I'm really excited about the season and this year I feel a little more comfortable with this team. Thye have alot of potential and I think they're going to be better than what we're expecting.

Rocket_Fuel
03-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Could be the best bullpen in the NL. But I'd rather have Volquez start!!!

Easy now, don't get too excited. It is hard to consider any bullpen with Stanton and Coffey the best.[/QUOTE]

Have you taken a look at the other "alleged" great bullpens? They have Stanton and Coffey-type players on them. Heck, wasn't Stanton in the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets bullpens recently? And weren't those considered good to great bullpens?

bounty37h
03-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Better not be, I dont mind (or am understanding of at least) trading Hamilton for a starter, which we badly needed, but you dnt trade that talent for a frickin bullpen guy, even as bad as our pen was last year.