PDA

View Full Version : Per Fay Starting Rotation pretty much set

captainmorgan07
03-21-2008, 03:02 PM
The rotation would be as follows Harang, Arroyo Cueto, Fogg, and Volquez. That would be why volquez pitched in last nite's game. For all of you clamoring for Bailey to go to the pen Baker says he takes to long to warm up that's why he's always started spring training games. I like the rotation like that it splits up the two hard throwing righties with a soft tosser.

GoReds33
03-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Maybe Bailey could do like Papelbon does, and start warming up a couple innings in advance.

DannyB
03-21-2008, 06:14 PM
I am ok with this rotation,but I do like someones idea of putting Cueto between Harang and Arroyo.
I think Baily could do as much as Fogg,but I think he will be up soon enough.

Rocket_Fuel
03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
I am ok with this rotation,but I do like someones idea of putting Cueto between Harang and Arroyo.
I think Baily could do as much as Fogg,but I think he will be up soon enough.

Bailey is a long way away from Fogg. Fogg is solid, and while he doesn't have sparkling numbers he is much more experienced when it comes to getting out of tough situations and he will eat innings.

kentjett
03-21-2008, 09:56 PM
We actually have a formidable lineup. It's been awhile since I could say that.

Casey
03-21-2008, 11:03 PM
I really like this rotation. Bailey will be up before you know it...I'm perfectly comfortable with Fogg in there instead of him to start the season.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-22-2008, 12:13 AM
I really like this rotation. Bailey will be up before you know it...I'm perfectly comfortable with Fogg in there instead of him to start the season.I'm ok with Fogg in the rotation, but in front of Volquez? thats just stupid.:thumbdown

mole44
03-22-2008, 12:58 PM
A rookie in the 3 spot? No way with Dusty at the helm do I believe that.

ChatterRed
03-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I am stunned that the Reds are actually going to give Cueto a shot right now. I am stunned in a good way.

But it amazes me that Cueto starts the season in the majors but Bruce and Votto may not. That's the stupid part of it.

I give them props for going with the future in Cueto and Volquez, but I think they're stupid for not playing Bruce and Votto now.

GoReds33
03-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I am stunned that the Reds are actually going to give Cueto a shot right now. I am stunned in a good way.

But it amazes me that Cueto starts the season in the majors but Bruce and Votto may not. That's the stupid part of it.

I give them props for going with the future in Cueto and Volquez, but I think they're stupid for not playing Bruce and Votto now.Well it's a mixture of money and need as to why Bruce won't be in the majors to start the year. If he goes down for a couple months we get one more year without having to file arbitration. There isn't that big of a need for him either. His natural position, right field, is already taken. The Reds won't be losing that much by putting Hopper or Freel there.

Rocket_Fuel
03-22-2008, 02:07 PM

I give them props for going with the future in Cueto and Volquez, but I think they're stupid for not playing Bruce and Votto now.

The difference is that the Reds need start pitching, they don't need OF and 1st base help, at least not that badly right now. I don't know what is gained by running Bruce and Votto up here to rot on the bench.

TheBigLebowski
03-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Votto will make the big club.

I love this rotation. I really do. I think Fogg for 1 mil may be one of the best pickups this off-season. He'll eat innings and keep his team in the game. He won't win any Cy Youngs but, for one mil a year, he's more than worth it. It could be that he is replaced by Homer next season. I think HB is one year away.

ChatterRed
03-22-2008, 03:58 PM
The difference is that the Reds need start pitching, they don't need OF and 1st base help, at least not that badly right now. I don't know what is gained by running Bruce and Votto up here to rot on the bench.

Uh......BECAUSE THEY SHOULDN'T BE ON THE BENCH. :rolleyes:

LouisvilleCARDS
03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
I notice on the main board here a lot of hate for Josh Fogg being in the rotation. I'm not understanding why. He's won 10 games 6 of the past 7 years and had under a 5 ERA with a pretty good team last year, in a hitter friendly park. Maybe I'm missing something, but aronud a 5 ERA for the Cincinnati Reds lately, especially in the #5 spot in the rotation, is pretty damn good. See: Eric Milton and other recent junk. He's not outstanding or anything, but at least you know what you're getting. Hell, 5 years ago adding Josh Fogg along with that outstanding free agent signing of say, John VanderWal, would have make Fogg probably the #1 or #2 pitcher in the rotation. Put Belilse in the pen and see what he can do.

michst
03-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Fun blog about Volquez - people debating if his spring will translate

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/3/22/318162/true-or-false-edinson-volq

jmac
03-22-2008, 08:31 PM
If and I say "if" Cueto/Volquez progress the way we hope, as reds fans, it would seem strange to read a 09 preseason publication stating the reds have one of the better rotations in the NL.
Which let's hope we have that this season !

Rocket_Fuel
03-23-2008, 11:54 AM
It's amusing listening to Ken Broo on the radio saying you never trade an everyday player for a player who plays once every 5 days. Basically, he's saying you don't trade an outfielder for pitching. Aren't these the same people who ripped Bowden and the Reds for valuing outfielders over pitching!?