PDA

View Full Version : Take Me Out to the Movies or Movies Madness

redsmetz
03-21-2008, 05:40 PM
mlb.com is doing a bracket of best baseball movies - my daughter told me about it today. I just did my bracket and I think I want to go back and check out some of the movies I've never seen.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/news/entertainment/movie_madness/bracket.jsp

MrCinatit
03-21-2008, 05:43 PM
No Field of Dreams, or did I miss it?

EDIT: Never mind...I just found the brackets. I'm an idiot.

redsmetz
03-21-2008, 05:46 PM
No Field of Dreams, or did I miss it?

EDIT: Never mind...I just found the brackets. I'm an idiot.

Yes, it wasn't clear to me at first either. At the bottom is a "submit" button, but you need to movie right for the option to select the next group.

Will M
03-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Long Gone is an old HBO movie about a minor league player and stars William Peterson ( Manhunter, To live and die in L.A. , CSI ). An excellent little movie. I don't know if it is out on dvd. I own an old VHS.

If anyone hasn't see 'For Love of the Game' immediately do so.
Stars Kevin Costner as a pitcher nearing the end of his career.
Directed by Sam Raimi.

MrCinatit
03-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Kind of neat, actually. There are a few I am not totally familiar with, and others I have heard about, but have never seen (the movie with Maris and Mantle is mentioned in the Baseball Hall Of Shame).
There were quite a few no brainers in the end for me, though.

Chip R
03-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Long Gone is an old HBO movie about a minor league player and stars William Peterson ( Manhunter, To live and die in L.A. , CSI ). An excellent little movie. I don't know if it is out on dvd. I own an old VHS.

Great movie. I taped that off of WGN about 17 years ago. It's not out on DVD yet. You'd think cause Peterson's is relatively famous now it would be out on DVD. :dunno:

OnBaseMachine
03-21-2008, 06:06 PM
I chose Field of Dreams over The Natural in the Championship.

Fields of Dreams is my favorite movie of all-time. As a tradition every year I watch Field of Dreams on the Saturday night before Opening Day.

redsmetz
03-21-2008, 06:21 PM

Fields of Dreams is my favorite movie of all-time. As a tradition every year I watch Field of Dreams on the Saturday night before Opening Day.

I picked A League of Their Own over Field of Dreams, but it was really tough to do that. The one movie I wish they'd remake is Bang The Drum Slowly. It's not a bad flick, but since they made it contemporary (for then), it looks really dated and I think the story works much better as a period piece (in the 50's - fabulous book!).

Hoosier Red
03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I had 8 men out beat Field of Dreams.
I just like the way 8 men out ended. Kinda like Hoosiers for Baseball.

deltachi8
03-21-2008, 08:06 PM
I had 8 men out as well.

redsmetz
03-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Ironically we just picked up Eight Men Out at the library today, along with Hitchcock's The Trouble With Harry, one of his quirkier films.

dougdirt
03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Bad News Bears - 1976 wins it all.

klw
03-21-2008, 09:56 PM
The Natural over Field of Dreams

I was disappointed I had to chose b/n the Natural and Bull Durham in the semis.

George Anderson
03-22-2008, 02:33 AM

Tanner and I agree!!! ;)

MrCinatit
03-22-2008, 02:37 AM
The Natural over Field of Dreams

I was disappointed I had to chose b/n the Natural and Bull Durham in the semis.

I ran into that quite a few times. There were too many times when I had good movies competing against good movies, and a few times when not so good movies made it too far along. I think both Fear Strikes Out and Bingo Longo made my sweet 16. I did not like Fear Strikes Out that much, but Bingo Longo is one of my all time favorites. Pride of the Yankees made my final four - but looking back on the list, it might be lucky to make my top 10 (and I do like the movie).
Still, I had a bit of fun with the brackets.

Gainesville Red
03-22-2008, 02:41 AM
I was disappointed to have to choose between Bull Durham and Major League so early.

Bull Durham wins in a better movie contest, but Major League just feels so, I don't know, classic.

WMR
03-22-2008, 02:46 AM
4 words: "Tom Selleck - Mr. Baseball"

http://www.mopupduty.com/mrbaseball.jpg

WMR
03-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Hard to believe no one has mentioned this film-making masterpiece yet...

http://www.impawards.com/1996/posters/ed.jpg

Monkeys and baseball: It doesn't get any better than that!

mth123
03-22-2008, 03:11 AM
My Avatar probably gives me away, but I chose Pride of the Yankees over Major League. Field of Dreams and The Natural complete my Final Four.

GAC
03-22-2008, 04:41 AM
I had a copy of an old Joe E Brown baseball comedy, made in 1935 and even had Olivia de Havilland (in her first appearance) in it, called Alibi Ike.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BA412WYCL._AA280_.jpg

On the drama side.....

Pride Of the Yankees and 61 (fantastic movie).

Jpup
03-22-2008, 06:40 AM

:beerme:

redsmetz
03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I had a copy of an old Joe E Brown baseball comedy, made in 1935 and even had Olivia de Havilland (in her first appearance) in it, called Alibi Ike.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BA412WYCL._AA280_.jpg

On the drama side.....

Pride Of the Yankees and 61 (fantastic movie).

I didn't know they'd a movie of that story - a great one by Ring Lardner (who incidentally was a character in Eight Men Out, played rather stiffly by director John Sayles).

TOBTTReds
03-22-2008, 10:52 AM

I had FOD over Fever Pitch. Fever Pitch beat out The Natural in the Final 4 for me. I just really like that movie.

I too, watch FOD before Opening Day. Awesome movie.

Hoosier Red
03-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I had FOD over Fever Pitch. Fever Pitch beat out The Natural in the Final 4 for me. I just really like that movie.

I too, watch FOD before Opening Day. Awesome movie.

Just so you understand, i really won't be able to read anything you write without first filtering it through "He likes a Freddy Prinze Jr. movie."
:p:

WMR
03-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Just so you understand, i really won't be able to read anything you write without first filtering it through "He likes a Freddy Prinze Jr. movie."

You mean Jimmy Fallon?

Yeah, Jimmy Fallon is about as funny as cancer.

Chip R
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I didn't know they'd a movie of that story - a great one by Ring Lardner (who incidentally was a character in Eight Men Out, played rather stiffly by director John Sayles).

If you look at pictures of Ring Lardner, Sayles is almost a dead ringer for him.

TOBTTReds
03-22-2008, 12:33 PM

Not Freddy Prinze though! Sorry, thought it was a good movie for the obsessed baseball fan/guru. And to mix it into the whole girlfriend thing just seemed a lot like my life. My gf is with me every step of the way when it comes to my love for baseball. When he goes on one knee and proposes to her...to go to opening day with him, touched home a bit. Also, that movie was originally written that the die hard sox fan would be dissapointed again after the sox lose. Of course they won though and had to change the story on the fly. I thought it was pretty good. Many scenes stick out to being like me!

Hoosier Red
03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
You mean Jimmy Fallon?

Oh that? That's even worse.

I was thinking Summer Catch.

It's hard to keep my terrible baseball movies apart.

Highlifeman21
03-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Oh that? That's even worse.

I was thinking Summer Catch.

It's hard to keep my terrible baseball movies apart.

While Summer Catch is not a good baseball movie by any stretch of the imagination, Jessica Biel is smoking hot in that movie. I watch Summer Catch for the same reason I watch the latest Dukes of Hazzard movie.

Gainesville Red
03-22-2008, 02:46 PM
While Summer Catch is not a good baseball movie by any stretch of the imagination, Jessica Biel is smoking hot in that movie. I watch Summer Catch for the same reason I watch the latest Dukes of Hazzard movie.

Nice pool scene if I recall.

*BaseClogger*
03-22-2008, 04:22 PM
You mean Jimmy Fallon?

He laughs at his own jokes more than the people watching do :lol:

KronoRed
03-22-2008, 04:31 PM
He laughs at his own jokes more than the people watching do :lol:

I know he's not on it anymore, but I watched SNL last week and it seemed EVERYONE on there now laughs at their own jokes, very annoying.

WMR
03-22-2008, 04:41 PM
SNL sucks so bad nowadays... Just super, super lame. You're right, everyone cracking up at their own unfunny jokes is the tip of the iceberg.

*BaseClogger*
03-22-2008, 04:47 PM
I like the 'SNL Digital Shorts' :dunno:

redsmetz
03-22-2008, 05:01 PM
If you look at pictures of Ring Lardner, Sayles is almost a dead ringer for him.

My daughter pointed that out to me today. It's uncanny and now I can see why he cast himself in the part - because I thought Studs Terkel was better than him.

Sayles

http://www.ericenders.com/images/sayles/jsayles.jpg http://www.vahidnab.com/mywritings_files/RingLardner_small.jpg Lardner

GAC
03-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Ring Lardner is said to have patterned Alibi Ike after baseball player King Cole. A bunch of popular major leaguers made cameo appearances in the film, among others Guy Cantrell, Dick Cox, Cedric Durst, Mike Gazella, Wally Hood, Don Hurst, Smead Jolley, Lou Koupal, Bob Meusel, Wally Rehg and Jim Thorpe.

I didn't know Joe E Brown was born in Ohio (Holgate).

I've been searching for a copy of Alibi Ike. I found a new VHS copy, which I bought. I have the capability to then burn it over onto DVD.

He played the daffy millionaire Osgood Fielding in Some Like It Hot (1959), wherein Joe, after discovering that his "girlfriend" Jack Lemmon was actually a man, brought down the house by uttering the film's classic punchline: "Well, nobody's perfect."