PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez Returns

reds44
03-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Shortstop Alex Gonzalez has been cleared to begin baseball activity. In fact, he's hitting in the cage now.

I still think he begins the year on the disabled list. Gonzalez has been out since March 1 with a compression fractuce in his left knee
The question now becomes, 9 days away from Opening Day can he be ready to go by the 31st? I agree with Fay in that he starts the year on the DL.

Matt700wlw
03-22-2008, 01:24 PM
As do I

fearofpopvol1
03-22-2008, 01:25 PM
That's encouraging at least. That should mean his timetable to return should not be too long. I'd think one stint on the 15-day DL should do it. Who goes when he comes back? Could it finally be the end of Castro?

Matt700wlw
03-22-2008, 01:26 PM
That's encouraging at least. That should mean his timetable to return should not be too long. I'd think one stint on the 15-day DL should do it. Who goes when he comes back? Could it finally be the end of Castro?

I bet Keppinger has options...

pedro
03-22-2008, 01:52 PM

There is no way on earth the demote Keppinger to keep Castro on the roster,

Matt700wlw
03-22-2008, 02:24 PM

I would hope not...but a guy like Gil or Phillips could make the team out of ST, but then be sent away when Gonzo's ready...

pedro
03-22-2008, 02:29 PM
I would hope not...but a guy like Gil or Phillips could make the team out of ST, but then be sent away when Gonzo's ready...

My take is that Castro's only chance of making the roster is short term filler while Gonzalez is rehabbing. I'd be very surprised if Castro is on the 25 man roster come the end of April. I think the fact that Jerry Gil is playing SS today and Andy Green is still in camp makes that pretty evident.

LoganBuck
03-22-2008, 02:41 PM

Why limit your mind? Perhaps they demote Votto to make room for Gonzalez.

pedro
03-22-2008, 02:44 PM

Why would they do that?

That doesn't even make sense.

Matt700wlw
03-22-2008, 02:48 PM
My take is that Castro's only chance of making the roster is short term filler while Gonzalez is rehabbing. I'd be very surprised if Castro is on the 25 man roster come the end of April. I think the fact that Jerry Gil is playing SS today and Andy Green is still in camp makes that pretty evident.

I hope you are correct!

rotnoid
03-22-2008, 02:50 PM

That makes sense, but if this organization has taught me anything it's to be prepared for surprises, even if they are completely counter intuitive.

Falls City Beer
03-22-2008, 03:03 PM

I completely disagree with this. As others have said, if he has options....he's the one getting shipped out.

princeton
03-22-2008, 03:06 PM

Keppinger is out of options

pedro
03-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I completely disagree with this. As others have said, if he has options....he's the one getting shipped out.

It's just not going to happen.

Dusty is talking about keeping Cabrera, Green, Hairston or Gil as the 25th man. Do you honestly believe the Reds are going to keep one of those guys and demote Keppinger?

Matt700wlw
03-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Keppinger is out of options

Good to know! :)

LoganBuck
03-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Why would they do that?

That doesn't even make sense.

Sure it does, have you followed the Reds over the last 10 years?

Votto has options, if he even thinks about struggling I have no doubt he goes. It would be too easy. Keppinger platoons with Hatteburg.

pedro
03-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Sure it does, have you followed the Reds over the last 10 years?

Votto has options, if he even thinks about struggling I have no doubt he goes. It would be too easy. Keppinger platoons with Hatteburg.

Oh, I can see Votto being sent to AAA, just not in order to keep Castro around once Gonzalez comes back.

And yeah, I've followed the Reds for the last 30 years but I'm not sure what the Reds did or didn't do prior to the current management group has anything to do with it.

LoganBuck
03-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh, I can see Votto being sent to AAA, just not in order to keep Castro around once Gonzalez comes back.

And the Reds have shown you what reason, for you, to believe that they will ship Castro out? This is the same team that activated him last year with a bad elbow and all so that he would be available to pinch hit. Dusty likes his "veteran presence" he is going to have to prove again that he stinks before he is let go. The earliest I see him leaving would be June, when Jay Bruce will need a spot on the 40 man.

pedro
03-22-2008, 03:14 PM
And the Reds have shown you what reason, for you, to believe that they will ship Castro out? This is the same team that activated him last year with a bad elbow and all so that he would be available to pinch hit. Dusty likes his "veteran presence" he is going to have to prove again that he stinks before he is let go. The earliest I see him leaving would be June, when Jay Bruce will need a spot on the 40 man.

It's a numbers game. Unless the Reds carry 11 pitchers I just don't see a spot for Castro, especially with a gimpy elbow.

LoganBuck
03-22-2008, 03:18 PM
It's a numbers game. Unless the Reds carry 11 pitchers I just don't see a spot for Castro, especially with a gimpy elbow.

They don't really need 12 pitchers for a few weeks. Chris Welsh alluded to this a couple days ago. He thinks they go north with 11. Not that I agree with it.

I don't want Castro at all, but I have come to accept that unless we can get him to flip the fans off, he will be on the team.

pedro
03-22-2008, 03:20 PM
They don't really need 12 pitchers for a few weeks. Chris Welsh alluded to this a couple days ago. He thinks they go north with 11. Not that I agree with it.

That depends IMO on whether or not they decide to rule 5 pitcher Jose Cappellan. They could go with 11 pitchers if the decide to return him, otherwise I don't think it's practical.

Othrwise, as long as the Reds carry 12 pitchers and have Freel, Keppinger and Gonzalez on the roster I just don't see room for Castro.

LoganBuck
03-22-2008, 03:22 PM
That depends IMO on whether or not they decide to rule 5 pitcher Jose Cappellan. They could go with 11 pitchers if the decide to return him, otherwise I don't think it's practical.

I just assumed Cappellan is gone. I can not see where he fits. They don't need a fourth lefty in the pen, and he isn't making the rotation.

Falls City Beer
03-22-2008, 03:37 PM

Othrwise, as long as the Reds carry 12 pitchers and have Freel, Keppinger and Gonzalez on the roster I just don't see room for Castro.

I think the bigger question is: what happens to Castro if they don't bring him north?

I seriously don't see the Reds cutting him loose. No one's going to trade for him. He'll pass through waivers.

Chip R
03-22-2008, 03:40 PM
I think the bigger question is: what happens to Castro if they don't bring him north?

He becomes George Grande's new live in boyfriend?

pedro
03-22-2008, 03:46 PM

I seriously don't see the Reds cutting him loose. No one's going to trade for him. He'll pass through waivers.

They'll stash him on the 60 day DL. Wayne will want his vet presence for when the rosters expand.

LINEDRIVER
03-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Castro is guaranteed $975,000 this year. He should be around until at least mid-June before the Reds eat the rest of that money....OR....Castro will be soon reminded that his arm hasn't quite recovered enough of it's former strength and he will need to be buried, er uh, put on the DL for awhile.

Gil is a heckuva ballplayer but with one big problem. Major League pitchers will eat him alive with breaking balls. He can't hit the benders, misses them by a foot.

KronoRed
03-22-2008, 04:22 PM

That's assuming Votto makes the roster, he may get a month in Louisville to work off the rust.

LINEDRIVER
03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Gil could be a tad weak at SS. Made a throwing and fielding error today vs. the Astros.

LINEDRIVER
03-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Votto goes 2-for-3 vs the Pirates on Friday and sits on Saturday. ???

remdog
03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
As I said in another thread:

"For whatever reason I just dont' feel confident that the Reds will get even a half season out of Gonzo. Normally, an injury like he suffered last season would have healed over the off season. Instead, it catches the Reds by surprise and he sits out until 10 days before Opening Day. The fact that he was cleared by 'Doc. Hollywood' does nothing to make me feel more secure."

Rem