PDA

View Full Version : Reds Final Roster Decision Summary

Kc61
03-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Starting rotation -- Cueto, Fogg, Volquez look pretty set. Bailey longshot to take one spot. Belisle appears out of running with injury.

Bullpen -- Weathers, Cordero, Affeldt appear set. Stanton probably set. Leaves three spots. Burton (tough spring), Coffey (tough 2007), Mercker (comeback), Bray (health) appear candidates for last three spots. Lincoln is longshot.

Position players -- Assume Hatte and Votto both make the team. Assume Patterson and Hopper both make the team. Assume (with Gonzo injury) Keppinger and Castro both make the team. Assume Valentin and one other catcher make the team.

With Hatte, Hopper, Castro and a catcher on the roster, this leaves one bench spot. It will be Freel, unless he is moved in a trade, likely for a catcher. If he is moved, then one of Green, Cabrera, Gill, Hairston, and A.Phillips makes team.

If no new catcher is acquired, then Bako (or Ross if healthy) will be on roster.

So, unless I am missing something, there is one bullpen spot open, one bench spot open, and possibly (longshot) one starting spot open if Bailey is deemed ready.

Anyone disagree?

SMcGavin
03-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I think it has to be Burton, Coffey, Bray for those last three bullpen spots. If you keep both Mercker and Bray that's over half your pen as lefties. Not to mention the Reds have made past committments to Burton (letting him set-up the last couple months of 07) and Coffey (the contract extension). So it comes down to Bray vs. Mercker, and while Mercker is a good story I think Bray is clearly the better pitcher as long as he's healthy.

Kc61
03-22-2008, 02:58 PM
I think it has to be Burton, Coffey, Bray for those last three bullpen spots. If you keep both Mercker and Bray that's over half your pen as lefties. Not to mention the Reds have made past committments to Burton (letting him set-up the last couple months of 07) and Coffey (the contract extension). So it comes down to Bray vs. Mercker, and while Mercker is a good story I think Bray is clearly the better pitcher as long as he's healthy.

I agree. The way I see it, the only way Mercker makes it is if Reds can find a taker for Stanton's contract. So that would mean, Weathers, Cordero, Burton, Coffey, Bray, Affeldt and Stanton.

fearofpopvol1
03-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I could definitely envision Mercker making this team over Bray. Bray has options and while Mercker isn't owed any money, he was with Dusty in Chicago.

*BaseClogger*
03-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I think it is important to keep in mind that none of the lefties being discussed (Affeldt, Stanton, Mercker, Bray) have as massive platoon splits as a guy like Coutlangus...

Joseph
03-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Isn't Mercker actually better against righties than he is against lefties?

*BaseClogger*
03-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Isn't Mercker actually better against righties than he is against lefties?

I only looked at career splits on BR...

Joseph
03-22-2008, 06:10 PM
You could be entirely right, I'm going on memory entirely.

SMcGavin
03-22-2008, 08:51 PM
I could definitely envision Mercker making this team over Bray. Bray has options and while Mercker isn't owed any money, he was with Dusty in Chicago.

Good point but for the Reds' sake I hope you're wrong. IMO by the end of the year Bray will be the second best reliever on the team. If he is healthy and on the team that is.

REDREAD
03-22-2008, 11:05 PM
With Bray's sore shoulder setting him back, I think he's really on the bubble.

How has Mercker's spring been going? I remember Dusty being impressed earlier.

I don't see a problem with too many lefties.. In middle relief/mopup, it doesn't really matter if we are overloaded in lefties.. I suspect Stanton and Bray/Mercker would at least start the year in middle relief.

I think Wayne has faith in Coffey, and Coffey will start the year on the 25 man roster. IMO, it's the right move. That's what rebuilding years are for. Let's see what we've got with him. Hopefully, that talk about not always using the curve for his "must get a strike" pitch will produce better results this year.

Reds1
03-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Keep in mind 5 starters that are righties. That could have some weight for them to keep an extra lefty. What about Belise/Fogg if one doesn't make the rotation. Does Belise have options?

Kc61
03-23-2008, 09:52 AM
With Bray's sore shoulder setting him back, I think he's really on the bubble.

How has Mercker's spring been going? I remember Dusty being impressed earlier.

I don't see a problem with too many lefties.. In middle relief/mopup, it doesn't really matter if we are overloaded in lefties.. I suspect Stanton and Bray/Mercker would at least start the year in middle relief.

I think Wayne has faith in Coffey, and Coffey will start the year on the 25 man roster. IMO, it's the right move. That's what rebuilding years are for. Let's see what we've got with him. Hopefully, that talk about not always using the curve for his "must get a strike" pitch will produce better results this year.

I will be disappointed if Bray is sent down. He has pitched several times, very well, including two inning stints, and he needs to be on the team. For this team to move forward, it shouldn't keep Mercker over Bray.

If it were me, Bray and Coffey would both make the team. Last year, I thought Bray's injury and Coffey's bad year really killed the pitching staff. These are the guys who can pitch often and pitch multiple innings. Young guys with workhorse type abilities. Eliminate them, and you have a big hole in the middle of games when the starter is less than great.

Affedlt did well with the Rockies, but he averaged less than one inning per performance. Very short outings. Weathers and Cordero are one inning guys late in games. Burton was effective last year pitching the 8th inning. He needs to be kept fresh to help pin down games, not used as an innings eater. Stanton? Who knows how effective he will be.

If Mercker is to make the team, he should take Stanton's place. Financially, this probably doesn't work so Merck probably has to agree to AAA for awhile or leave the team. Or maybe an injury will open a spot.

princeton
03-23-2008, 11:16 AM
the scribes are saying that Mike Lincoln's bionic arm is throwing 94-95 mph, which explains why he's still in big camp.

might not make it in April, but I expect that we'll see him in Cincy at some point.

Highlifeman21
03-23-2008, 11:21 AM
the scribes are saying that Mike Lincoln's bionic arm is throwing 94-95 mph, which explains why he's still in big camp.

might not make it in April, but I expect that we'll see him in Cincy at some point.

I just wonder if you hear the Steve Austin action music while he's pitching.

b/c if so, that's reason enough for me for him to make the roster...

Kc61
03-23-2008, 12:53 PM
On the position player front, have to think the last spot will be either Freel or Hairston. Hairston has been a major league player, likely Reds signed him to be on the major league team.

This means they are probably out there pushing hard to trade Freel.

princeton
03-23-2008, 01:01 PM
On the position player front, have to think the last spot will be either Freel or Hairston. Hairston has been a major league player, likely Reds signed him to be on the major league team.

This means they are probably out there pushing hard to trade Freel.

Hairston might have negotiated an opt-out date, but I doubt that the Reds gave him opening day as that date since he signed late.

May 1, maybe. I'm expecting Hairston in Louisville for a while.

pedro
03-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I just wonder if you hear the Steve Austin action music while he's pitching.

b/c if so, that's reason enough for me for him to make the roster...

choo-choo-choo-choo-chee-chee-chee-chee

redsrule2500
03-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I see mercker ahead of bray

flyer85
03-23-2008, 05:14 PM
doesn't really matter, the talent is not there to compete for the playoffs. Last year' middling offense has been downgraded slightly. The bullpen still look to be a major problem and the starting pitching is going to succeed/fail on a couple of young arms. I in no way see a team than can make up the 100 run differential that is needed.

Kc61
03-23-2008, 05:23 PM
doesn't really matter, the talent is not there to compete for the playoffs. Last year' middling offense has been downgraded slightly. The bullpen still look to be a major problem and the starting pitching is going to succeed/fail on a couple of young arms. I in no way see a team than can make up the 100 run differential that is needed.

I think the season essentially rises and falls on the decision not to trade youth for a good veteran starter. Most RedsZoners wanted to go with youth. We now see how it works out.

flyer85
03-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I think the season essentially rises and falls on the decision not to trade youth for a good veteran starter. Most RedsZoners wanted to go with youth. We now see how it works out.only part of it. The other issue is that the offense just isn't that good either. I haven't seen anything that is change the run differential by anywhere close to +100.