PDA

View Full Version : Great American Ball Park gets makeover

OnBaseMachine
03-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Great American Ball Park gets makeover
New promotions, dining options to be offered in 2008
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- In the movie "Bull Durham," the Bulls' stadium featured a sign for hitters that said "Hit bull, Win a steak."

At Great American Ball Park this season, there will be a similar target for Reds hitters. But if they actually hit it during a game, it would become a lucrative moment for a lucky fan.

Last week, the club placed a red 2008 Toyota Tundra pickup truck on top of the elevator shaft well beyond the fence in center field. If a Reds player hits the truck during a home run, one randomly selected lucky fan will take home the $31,000 vehicle.

It would take some gargantuan homer for someone to get the Tundra, however, as the truck is located more than 500 feet from home plate.

The truck promotion is one of several changes Reds fans will notice when the 2008 season opens on March 31 vs. the Diamondbacks.

The Cincinnati Bell Riverboat deck, which was introduced last season, has been given additional awnings and rest rooms. The Machine Room Grille has also been remodeled, and offers unrestricted field views. The restaurant's doors will open three hours before game time.

On the third base concourse will be a new 5,000 square foot Game Day Pro shop. The area will also house the HH Gregg Highlight Zone, which will have 13 high-definition televisions showing every MLB game, and possibly other sports as well.

Like many clubs in Major League Baseball, the Reds have added an "All you can eat" section with nearly 400 seats in the mezzanine section. For $30, fans get unlimited hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn and soft drinks. The team will also introduce the Meijer family section in the right field box area, in which no alcohol will be permitted. Tickets in the family section will cost $22.

Behind the scenes, manager Dusty Baker will be calling the Reds bullpen on the Cincinnati Bell Dugout Phone, using a Nokia wireless phone. The IKEA company is also sponsoring and furnishing a new suite for Reds Radio Network affiliates.

The Ballpark will also be more environmentally friendly this season. In partnership with Duke Energy, the Reds have purchased carbon credits to offset the estimated fossil fuel emissions associated with the operation of GABP for Opening Day. Rumpke and Pepsi are sponsoring a recycling program for all plastics and paper waste. Additionally, cooking oils used in kitchens and concession stands will be recycled for reuse as bio-diesel fuel.

Outside of GABP and in downtown Cincinnati, there will be two new Reds.com ticket kiosks on Fountain Square and at Skyline Chili on 4th St.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080323&content_id=2452916&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Raisor
03-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Like many clubs in Major League Baseball, the Reds have added an "All you can eat" section with nearly 400 seats in the mezzanine section. For $30, fans get unlimited hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn and soft drinks.

I know where I'm sitting if I make it up this year!

WMR
03-23-2008, 03:56 PM
I know where I'm sitting if I make it up this year!

You honestly think Bob C. would allow a Nobel Prize winner to sit anywhere other than the Owner's Box?

reds44
03-23-2008, 03:57 PM
The Cincinnati Bell Riverboat deck, which was introduced last season, has been given additional awnings and rest rooms. The Machine Room Grille has also been remodeled, and offers unrestricted field views. The restaurant's doors will open three hours before game time.

On the third base concourse will be a new 5,000 square foot Game Day Pro shop. The area will also house the HH Gregg Highlight Zone, which will have 13 high-definition televisions showing every MLB game, and possibly other sports as well.
That's awesome. Going to make a trip over there when I make it to GABP this year.

BCubb2003
03-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Crosley had "Hit this sign and win a Siebler suit" ...

Wally Post led in suits. Willie Mays led among visiting players.

OnBaseMachine
03-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Here's the truck:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/2008/03/23/YiJPtykO.jpg

Raisor
03-23-2008, 04:06 PM
You honestly think Bob C. would allow a Nobel Prize winner to sit anywhere other than the Owner's Box?

After you win six of the things, you kinda forget about it

BCubb2003
03-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Maybe they'll have a promotion, "Hit Kentucky and win it."

WMR
03-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Here's the truck:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/2008/03/23/YiJPtykO.jpg

What's the longest HR in GABP history?

reds44
03-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Dunn's shot into the river over the batter's eye.

I want to say it was 535?

OnBaseMachine

535 feet by Dunn on August 10, 2004. I was at that game. Longest HR on major league record IIRC.

MrCinatit
So, does Dunn pay for the broken windshield when one of his blasts nail it, or does the fan?

WMR
03-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Cool, thanks. Does anyone know where/if there is a list of the longest HRs in GABP history?

guttle11
When I look at that picture, all I see is the brown water of the breathtaking Ohio River.

Raisor
Maybe they'll have a promotion, "Hit Kentucky and win it."

They'd have to throw in a balloon or something to make it worth it.

Unassisted
03-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't want a pickup truck in the first place. I really don't want one with a dent in the fender or a broken window. ;)

reds44
03-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Cool, thanks. Does anyone know where/if there is a list of the longest HRs in GABP history?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/ballpark/longest_hr.jsp

Video included!

DoogMinAmo
03-23-2008, 04:12 PM
While I understand needing advertising and promotion dollars and adding some character and quirks for the fans, this seems like a bit much. I will take a wait and see approach to this.

Cyclone792
03-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Nice to see the Reds adding a few amenities each offseason to spice up the park a bit. It's a good feeling knowing the team is continually moving away from the cheapness known as Carl Lindner.

I do have a feeling that truck may suffer a few dents and maybe some broken glass during BP sessions.

fearofpopvol1
03-23-2008, 04:14 PM
I think it's slightly lame that it has to be a Reds hitter to hit the truck because it sounds like Dunn is probably the only hitter that could realistically hit the truck (maybe Griffey and possibly Bruce in the future).

The big question is, is the trust on display the one the winner gets? Who wants a truck that's been pummled by a baseball? I'm sure the winner gets a new truck, but the article didn't say.

guttle11
03-23-2008, 04:15 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/ballpark/longest_hr.jsp

Video included!

If you look real close on the Soriano HR, you can see my ex-girlfriend and I to the left over the bullpen.

gm
03-23-2008, 05:22 PM
The area will also house the HH Gregg Highlight Zone

Ok, who besides me saw this and thought "How many highlights did Eric Gregg ever have?" (I mean, besides the extra foot he used to give Maddux/Glavine on the outside corner?)

TeamBoone
03-23-2008, 05:58 PM
When I look at that picture, all I see is the brown water of the breathtaking Ohio River.

There has been/is tremendous flooding here. All the rivers are murky, even the smaller, faster running ones.

JaxRed
03-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I'll be more than happy to take the truck off someone's hands if it's dented.....

IslandRed
03-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Who wants a truck that's been pummeled by a baseball?

:wave:

Give me a $31,000 truck for free and I'll gladly fix the dent.

Red in Chicago
03-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Like many clubs in Major League Baseball, the Reds have added an "All you can eat" section with nearly 400 seats in the mezzanine section. For $30, fans get unlimited hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn and soft drinks.

How about improving the quality of the food first, before you increase the quantity of junk your giving away;)

Chip R
03-23-2008, 07:09 PM
How about improving the quality of the food first, before you increase the quantity of junk your giving away;)

If you're going to a ball game expecting fine dining, you're in the wrong place.

corkedbat
03-23-2008, 07:15 PM
So, does Dunn pay for the broken windshield when one of his blasts nail it, or does the fan?

No. but he does autograph any dents :D

KronoRed
03-23-2008, 07:19 PM

I prefer that to dull office buildings or the mud pit that will have something in it in 4-10 years

WMR
03-23-2008, 07:21 PM
I see a new target for Dunn during BP.

TeamBoone
03-23-2008, 08:23 PM

Are you kidding me? The hot dogs are great! Really, really fresh buns too.

Raisor
03-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Really, really fresh buns too.

Just like Puffy

uh

:eek:

Caveat Emperor
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Nice to see the Reds adding a few amenities each offseason to spice up the park a bit. It's a good feeling knowing the team is continually moving away from the cheapness known as Carl Lindner.

The Riverboat deck was a quality addition last year. Hopefully they've added to it nicely, because it really did give the park a hometown flair to it.

*BaseClogger*
03-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Better than most of the parks I've visited...

GAC
03-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Last week, the club placed a red 2008 Toyota Tundra pickup truck on top of the elevator shaft well beyond the fence in center field. If a Reds player hits the truck during a home run, one randomly selected lucky fan will take home the $31,000 vehicle.

I wonder what you could get for truck dented by Adam Dunn on Ebay?

RANDY IN INDY
03-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Probably get a better price by advertising it on Redszone.;)

reds44
03-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Here is another view.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/2008/03/23/ROfIj3ea.jpg

REDREAD
03-23-2008, 11:51 PM
While I understand needing advertising and promotion dollars and adding some character and quirks for the fans, this seems like a bit much. I will take a wait and see approach to this.

A little too much advertising and coorporate type ins.. kind of kills the quirky charm of it. Sure, it's the Reds right to milk every cent they can, but I miss the days where every seat wasn't sponsored, and every inch of wallspace on a stadium wasn't covered with some kind of ad..

George Anderson
03-23-2008, 11:58 PM
A little too much advertising and coorporate type ins.. kind of kills the quirky charm of it. Sure, it's the Reds right to milk every cent they can, but I miss the days where every seat wasn't sponsored, and every inch of wallspace on a stadium wasn't covered with some kind of ad..

When I think back on baseball stadiums of the past I seem to recall alot of advertising. The right field wall of Ebbets Field was covered with many, many advertisements.

I have no problem with corporations sponsoring every and anything at the park. If it helps keep tickets prices low and also helps bring in quality players then sponsor away!!!!

Jpup
03-24-2008, 12:07 AM
I like it. It reminds me of Kaufmann in KC. I love things like that.

Chip R
03-24-2008, 12:08 AM

I agree with both of you. I understand that they don't pull in the TV money a lot of franchises do so they have to make it up somewhere. I also understand that a lot of this keeps ticket prices low. But it's starting to get to the point where, as REDREAD said, they are putting some kind of thing on every blank space in the stadium. It's like a bunch of little kids just adding stuff to something they built for no reason whatsoever.

Cedric
03-24-2008, 12:10 AM
The old stadiums had WAY more advertising than the new one's. Just looking at old pictures you can see advertising everywhere.

GAC
03-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Here is another view.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/2008/03/23/ROfIj3ea.jpg

Hope the doors are locked. Because it would be a bummer to get to the stadium one day and find it gone. In Cincy - it could happen. :cool:

paulrichjr
03-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Is there a "new" baseball park that looks any more "redneck" than GABP in centerfield. Personally I think it really looks cheap. One better...I think it looks "John Allen Cheap".

KronoRed
03-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Is there a "new" baseball park that looks any more "redneck" than GABP in centerfield. Personally I think it really looks cheap. One better...I think it looks "John Allen Cheap".

I prefer 'The Bengals took all the stadium cash' cheap.

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2008, 12:11 AM

I love the park. The smoke stacks and riverboat deck make it unique IMO.

reds44
03-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I love the park. The smoke stacks and riverboat deck make it unique IMO.
I love the Riverboat Deck. Probably my favorite part of the stadium, and the smoke stacks tie it together.

BCubb2003
03-25-2008, 12:28 AM
From the photo posted earlier, it does look a little like a two-story fishing shack, but it's much nicer in person. By the way, I just realized tonight that Ohio State plays in Value City Arena, which is the cheapest-sounding venue ever. Having been in a Value City, I'm not in a position to judge, however.

BRM
03-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Speaking of the truck, I thought this was interesting.

Got a great e-mail today from Rick Newkirk. Rick read the article on the Reds official site about the new truck in the outfield (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080323&content_id=2452916&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin), and Rick, thinking like the journalist he is, asked a simple question. Is it possible to hit that truck? So, Rick e-mailed Greg Rybarczyk at HitTrackerOnline.com (http://hittrackeronline.com/) and asked a simple question -- is it possible for someone to hit the truck and let a fan win a truck? Rybarczyk, who has an engineering degree and spent time in the Navy as nuclear engineer and ship's navigator, studies how far balls really travel. His answer? The truck "might as well be on the moon."

Here's more of his answer:

OK, this was quicker than I expected. Bottom line, don't hold your breath. I marked it at 502 feet horizontally and 65 feet above field level.

On a calm, 70 degree day, a player would have to hit the ball at 134.5 mph off the bat, which is beyond the realm of possibility using MLB baseballs and MLB bats.

With a 15 mph tail wind and a 90 degree day, a hit of 122.7 mph would reach the truck. That is in fact possible by someone like Alex Rodriguez, or maybe Wily Mo Pena, but I doubt a lefty could hit one that hard in that direction. Also, at 500 horizontal feet from home plate, that's quite a lucky shot to go in just the right direction. And by the way, last year one homer run was hit at GABP in wind of 15 mph or greater. It just doesn't get that windy at game time there...

The Reds need to gamble a little and put the truck where it can be reached (check where the Royals have a truck in LCF). So what if someone hits it, it's not that expensive, and will draw lots of interest. As it is, no one's going to think twice about it, it might as well be on the moon...

Per C. Trent

Highlifeman21
03-26-2008, 06:55 PM
They should put the truck in-between the smoke stacks, and above Griffey's HR countdown.

Reds1
03-26-2008, 07:01 PM
For $30, fans get unlimited hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn and soft drinks. The team will also introduce the Meijer family section in the right field box area, in which no alcohol will be permitted. Tickets in the family section will cost $22]

I know where I'm not sitting! :D

KronoRed
03-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Put the truck in the OF, drive it around during each at bat.

BCubb2003
03-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Put the truck on first base, because it's all about the OBP.

KronoRed
03-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Nah, the truck is a base clogger

Ron Madden
03-27-2008, 04:04 AM
Speaking of the truck, I thought this was interesting.

Per C. Trent

With the Reds bullpen anything is possible. ;)