PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Festivities...

mroby85
03-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Hey guys, I just got some tickets for opening day, and had some questions about events that should be checked out while there.

I've heard about the parade and stuff, but when and where does it take place? i've been to one other opening day, but didn't get to any of the extra stuff. is there anything else i should know?

thanks a lot
Michael

mroby85
03-24-2008, 01:49 PM
just trying to raise this back to the top before it disappears, if anyone could help out i'd appreciate it.

thanks Michael

lilacgirl
03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Are you going with kids? If not, I know a few of the bars have festivities starting with kegs/eggs. Several of them also hook up with radio stations and do live broadcasts w/ giveaways, etc. Not sure of this year, but in the past I've heard of/been to Gameworks (Newport on the Levee; the most kid-friendly), GameDay (bar on Pete Rose Way), Rockbottom (on the square)...

I(heart)Freel
03-24-2008, 02:45 PM
There's an official party on Fountain Square this year too. Beers etc.

I prefer a bar, since the deals are good and the weather is always questionable.

Go downtown early, get a parking spot in one of the garages near the stadium, then walk up to a good bar.

Or... big fan of this: park in Covington, and take the bus over. Then you get great bars before and after the game.

God bless America, I am getting pumped!

justincredible
03-24-2008, 03:23 PM
So what bars are the best to go to early? I live next to Arnold's, but it seems like a hippie bar that might not give a crap about baseball.

robmadden1
03-24-2008, 04:13 PM
http://purerock965.com/96ROCKsOpeningDay/tabid/129/Default.aspx

goreds2
03-24-2008, 08:14 PM
On the drive to the ballpark, 700WLW will have opening day talk all day. (I know, DAH!)

Grounds_Crew
03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Just go to Game Day. It's a block from the Stadium and there's always a fun crowd in there.

NeilHamburger
03-26-2008, 05:22 AM
So, new weather reports by Steve Horstmeyer are saying 1-2 inches of rain from monday morning, all day monday and into Wednesday. I got opening day tickets, what happens if both monday and tuesday (the scheduled makeup day) get rained out? As he said it doesn't look good at all for opening day.

Grounds_Crew
03-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Hmm....well, that sucks.

mroby85
03-26-2008, 10:37 AM
on weather.com it has cincinnati listed as 58, with only a 40$ chance of showers. it was 60% a couple days ago when i checked.

lilacgirl
03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know of a bus/shuttle from the Mason area to the game?

redsfan1966
03-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Opening Day is a huge blast.....as Grounds Crew stated earlier, definitely head to GameDay early that morning....McConnell and Tracy Jones are always a blast to listen to...then head downtown for the Findley Market Parade (usually steps off about 11am) and then head back to GABP for Bill Cunningham and crew before the game...looks like the Reds HOF will be a must stop to see the Nuxhall exhibit after the game...I am jacked--pray for no rain!

Grounds_Crew
03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
I'll be at Game Day cafe prior to the game. Will anyone else be there? I'd be interested in meeting some more of you guys. I'm working for MLB.com this year, but I took off Opening Day so I could enjoy it as a "fan".

justincredible
03-28-2008, 11:06 AM
I'll be at Game Day cafe prior to the game. Will anyone else be there? I'd be interested in meeting some more of you guys. I'm working for MLB.com this year, but I took off Opening Day so I could enjoy it as a "fan".

I might make it in to Game Day before the game.

What do you do for MLB.com? My fiance's brother-in-law works for them as well.

redsfan1966
03-28-2008, 05:31 PM
GroundsCrew, I will definitely (unless something untoward happens) be at GameDay from 9am until about 10:30 or so--I would be interested in meeting up as well. Just the old question comes up--how will we know how to look for each other? I am unable to post pics...

gedred69
03-28-2008, 09:14 PM
From Hooter's at the Port of Entry, it's about a mile or so walk, or you can get on the boat that un-loads at the public landing. Willie's Sport's Bar runs a shuttle bus to and from the Ballpark (1st exit in Ky. from I-75 if you are coming from Ohio). I called there today, and the idiot bimbo told me they weren't going to open on Opening Day until 11:00am though. (I'm not sure she had a clue). Ran into a friend who called earlier, and that person told him 10:00, and the boss was thinking even earlier. Beers are cheaper in Ky. Game Day Saloon sucks. I was there last year, and their post of "$1.00 drafts every game day" doesn't apply to Opening Day, the taps were dis-mantled. No service either.....

Grounds_Crew
03-29-2008, 09:46 AM
If any of you are going to be at GameDay let me know by sending me a PM. We can trade numbers or pics. Haha, then we can try to find each other.

BEETTLEBUG
03-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I am going to GameWorks to see if kitten Desteny is there.

BEETTLEBUG
03-30-2008, 11:59 AM
So nobody going to GameWorks guess I be there by myself.