PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Justice Department Approves Sirius-XM Merger

WMR
03-24-2008, 04:46 PM
XM-Sirius merger approved by DOJ

Justice Department gives thumbs up to satellite radio merger more than one year after it was first announced.

March 24, 2008: 3:17 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The U.S. Justice Department approved the merger between satellite radio companies Sirius and XM Monday, more than a year after the two companies first announced their deal.

In its decision, the Department of Justice had to determine whether an XM-Sirius merger was anti-competitive, or if other media companies such as Clear Channel (CCU, Fortune 500), CBS (CBS, Fortune 500), or even Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) with its iTunes software and iPod music player served as alternate options for music and media customers.

The Federal Communications Commission must also approve the deal before it can officially be completed. The FCC has yet to make a decision on the deal.

The merger would combine the nation's only two satellite radio companies and create a company with about 14 million subscribers. It would bring together Sirius' most well-known content, including Howard Stern and National Football League games with XM's Major League Baseball as well programming from Oprah Winfrey.

Shares of XM (XMSR) and Sirius (SIRI) both rose after the announcement.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/24/news/companies/xm_sirius/index.htm?postversion=2008032415

Unassisted
03-24-2008, 04:52 PM
The details of the deal for subscribers are what worries me. Current equipment isn't compatible with both services, so I wonder if a move of some XM programming that I like to the other satellites is going to force me to buy a new receiver.

WMR
03-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I've heard that it will be compatible???

Unassisted
03-24-2008, 04:57 PM
I've heard that it will be compatible???I've heard that the antennas are compatible, but not the receivers.

WMR
03-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I guess we shall see! Bottom line, this merger had to happen, otherwise one--or possibly both--of these companies was going to go bankrupt. Experts predict that the FCC will follow the lead of the DOJ.

KronoRed
03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Excellent, no more college football being split up by conferences.

wheels
03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Now I get the NFL, MLB, and NHL games.

Plus I love that Underground Garage channel on Sirius, so I'll get that too.

Nice.

wolfboy
03-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Now I get the NFL, MLB, and NHL games.

Plus I love that Underground Garage channel on Sirius, so I'll get that too.

Nice.

So how will this merger affect the current station lineup for the respective carriers? The Underground Garage station sounds great, but I'd hate to lose some of my XM favorites.

Puffy
03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
So how will this merger affect the current station lineup for the respective carriers? The Underground Garage station sounds great, but I'd hate to lose some of my XM favorites.

You will be able to pick and choose what channels you want and which you do not.

cumberlandreds
03-24-2008, 09:45 PM
You will be able to pick and choose what channels you want and which you do not.

You also will pay more for these channels. Especially for sports. I have seen proposed prices and it will much higher than the standard $12.95 I pay for all channels on XM.

wolfboy
03-24-2008, 10:04 PM

I didn't realize that. That screams higher prices to me. Are they eliminating some channels, or are they keeping them all?

Red in Chicago
03-24-2008, 10:14 PM
MLB and Howard Stern...what more could you ask for from your radio:thumbup:

Reds Fanatic
03-24-2008, 10:18 PM
You also will pay more for these channels. Especially for sports. I have seen proposed prices and it will much higher than the standard $12.95 I pay for all channels on XM.The way I understand it is if you have XM and want to keep just XM you will pay what you pay now. If you have Sirius and want to keep just Sirius you will pay what you pay now. If you want XM and also some of the best channels from Sirius you will pay more same with if you have Sirius and want a best of XM channels added. You will not get everything on both services until they come up with some new receivers that get both. They are also supposed to start doing some kind of ala carte pricing where if you are just a music fan you can pay so much for music channels or so much for sports channels, talk channels, etc. One thing I do think you will see is some of the music channels will be combined eventually. So where XM and Sirius have similar music channels eventually they will cut their staff and have a channel that is ran on both services for a certain type of music instead of both services having their own seperate channels.

WMR
03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Sirius/XM aren't going to kill people on the a la carte pricing. They want to keep and expand their base of subscribers, not lose them. That's why the monopoly argument is so stupid. There are plenty of options for people to turn to if Sirius/XM attempt to price gouge. There is no such thing as a captive market in this instance.

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-24-2008, 11:34 PM
As long as they(Sirius) gets to keep the Elvis channel.

cincinnati chili
03-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Sirius/XM aren't going to kill people on the a la carte pricing. They want to keep and expand their base of subscribers, not lose them. That's why the monopoly argument is so stupid. There are plenty of options for people to turn to if Sirius/XM attempt to price gouge. There is no such thing as a captive market in this instance.

I wouldn't say it's stupid, but I do think it's fair to say that they don't have a monopoly YET because there's too much cross elasticity of demand between terrestrial radio and satellite radio. In five or 10 years that may change.

By analogy, it would have been silly to say ESPN had a "monopoly" on basic cable sports broadcasting in 1981 because so many people got their sports info and entertainment elsewhere. By 1990 they had a monopoly. Now, they are doing what all monopolists do: behaving badly. IMO, for example, they have used their influence to deride the NHL from a first-tier to a second tier spectator sport because of the NHL's refusal (or inability) to pay the monopoly rent.

jmcclain19
03-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Yeah I've been leery about this for a bit. I love my XM, but I'm still waiting to see the full a la carte breakdown. a couple of bucks I could swing. But if we're talking double a month for what I already get...well it's been nice knowing you XM/Sirius.

GoReds33
03-25-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm a Sirius customer, and I can't wait for baseball. I think that's about all I really want out of XM though. I'm not a Martha Stewart fan.:)

OldRightHander
03-25-2008, 07:31 AM
As long as I don't lose any of the XM channels I like and the price doesn't go up, that's ok. I fear losing some of the programming that is too similar on both services.

Joseph
03-25-2008, 10:43 AM
As an XM subscriber I am eager to see how this change will affect my services. I pay 14.95 a month for a service that provides me a great deal of options. Granted I use about 15% of those options, but I still want the choice to decide. If they give me 50 basic music channels, then start charing an extra fee per other channel or sports package, i'll likely drop it.

cumberlandreds
03-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Here is what I found about the possible pricing when they are merged. Basically the price will stay the same if you keep what you already have. But if you want to have add on Sirius or XM channels then you pay more.

http://www.siriusmerger.com/uploads/ala-cart-Press-Rel-7-23-07.pdf

This was written in July 2007 so things may change.

goreds2
03-25-2008, 07:13 PM
I am just hoping my XM device can get the SIRIUS channel RADIO MARGARITAVILLE via the merger. We shall see. It should be interesting. :)

deltachi8
03-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Here is what I found about the possible pricing when they are merged. Basically the price will stay the same if you keep what you already have. But if you want to have add on Sirius or XM channels then you pay more.

Is it just me or was that just way too confusing?

I have XM at a discounted rate (about 50% off) and listen too it daily in the car. However, if I had to pay full price, I would probably cancel.

WMR
03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
How do you get XM for 50% off?

GoReds33
03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
I tell you what, I wish I had bought the lifetime subscription when I first got the reciever. It wasn't that much, but I didn't know if Sirius would still be around for years to come.

OldRightHander
03-25-2008, 08:51 PM
I have had XM ever since I started driving, two years ago next week, and all I hope is that I don't lose any of the channels I currently get. I wouldn't mind having some more of the sports programming that's on Sirius, but that's primarily the NFL and since I'm rarely driving on Sundays, it's not that much of an issue. It's a shame there can't be two viable competing companies out there. My fear is that if there's only one company offering that service the prices will go up or the quality may suffer. I hope not, but if you look at other industries that are monopolized, the result is rarely a positive for the consumer.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, so long Opie & Anthony -- it's been an entertaining run.

I give them 6 months working under Mel Karmazin before they're either fired or do something intentionally to get themselves fired.

gilpdawg
03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Well, so long Opie & Anthony -- it's been an entertaining run.

I give them 6 months working under Mel Karmazin before they're either fired or do something intentionally to get themselves fired.
Nah. Ant is a fancy man. He won't do anything to lose the riches.

deltachi8
03-25-2008, 11:05 PM
How do you get XM for 50% off?

I had a code when I originally signed up to prepay for a year at $77. When my year was up I said the only way I stay as a customer is to renew the deal. It took a bit of holding firm, but they agreed. We shall see what happens this July when I am up again. They can always say no, and I can always listen to other avenues.

goreds2
03-25-2008, 11:27 PM

He likes the blackjack tables also.

Caveat Emperor
03-26-2008, 02:03 AM

If it doesn't work out for him on the radio, he can always try beekeeping.

LINNNNGGGGEEER LONGER! ;)

Yachtzee
03-26-2008, 10:12 AM

I haven't been listening regularly lately, just because I haven't been in the car in the mornings without the kids much lately, but I get the feeling when I do listen that they don't talk as much about the XM side of things on their show. I wonder if they've seen the writing on the wall and have already started to gear their show toward the Free FM side of the coin as a hedge against losing their XM slot in the merger. I just don't see Stern and O & A living in peace with each other for long. There are some mighty big egos involved.

Yachtzee
03-26-2008, 10:25 AM

I noticed it seemed to be buried in the pricing plans, but it looks like the place where you will get nailed by this mergers is if you want the sports packages. If you notice the pricing tables, they list under the A la carte pricing that you can buy "Super Premium" packages starting at $3.00 or $6.00 for XM or $6.00 or $5.00 if you have Sirius. I would guess that the MLB and NFL packages would fall under "Super Premium" programming, as would other live sports channels. So if you wanted MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, and all the College Sports, it could really end up costing you a lot of money if they price those out as separate premium subscriptions. From the looks of the sports and news package, not even that would include the MLB or NFL channels.

cumberlandreds
03-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I noticed it seemed to be buried in the pricing plans, but it looks like the place where you will get nailed by this mergers is if you want the sports packages. If you notice the pricing tables, they list under the A la carte pricing that you can buy "Super Premium" packages starting at $3.00 or $6.00 for XM or $6.00 or $5.00 if you have Sirius. I would guess that the MLB and NFL packages would fall under "Super Premium" programming, as would other live sports channels. So if you wanted MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, and all the College Sports, it could really end up costing you a lot of money if they price those out as separate premium subscriptions. From the looks of the sports and news package, not even that would include the MLB or NFL channels.

I have XM and the way it looks to me is that I can keep the XM everthing pack for $12.95 a month but if I wanted to add on the NFL package it would cost me another $5 or $6 bucks. I am assuming, with the XM package, MLB would still be included but if it's not then it would be getting too expensive for me and I would most likely drop it.

gilpdawg
03-26-2008, 05:47 PM

Oh god, not a Linnnnggggeeeerrrr Longer.:D

Maybe he can find his old friend Richard and go up in a treehouse jeeb jeeb jeeb jeeb......

Now THERE's a Linger Longer!