PDA

View Full Version : New Coach K American Express Commercial...

WMR
03-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Here's the copy:

I donít see myself as a coach. I am a leader who happens to coach losers in first weekend upsets. When my players go out into the workplace, theyíre armed with not just a dependency on jump shots or the ability to flop on cue. I want you armed for life. I want you ready to know what failure is like, whether you fail in the NBA or need to come crawling back to me for a slot as an assistant on my bench because you had no notable skills in a 9 to 5 job. I want you to develop as a player, but not so much that you have enough talent not to be bent to my will. I want you to develop as a student, and I want you to develop as a human being, because no one in the Association will want your basketball skills. My life isnít about winning meaningful games ó not any more. Thatís why my card is American Express.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Nothing in there about wrecking a motorcycle? Come on!

WMR
03-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Nothing in there about wrecking a motorcycle? Come on!

OUCH. Low-blow by Dabvu! Ref issues a warning, next time he'll subtract a point.

Chip R
03-24-2008, 04:30 PM
At least they made it to the 2nd round.

WMR
03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Pretty lofty accomplishment for a 2 seed.

15fan
03-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Pretty lofty accomplishment for a 2 seed.

With 8 McDonald's AAs on the roster.

8!

BRM
03-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I expect Razor to enter this thread, guns ablazing, by the end of the day.

WMR
03-24-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm counting on it! :D

BRM
03-24-2008, 04:38 PM
With 8 McDonald's AAs on the roster.

8!

Wow, I didn't realize they had that many.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow, I didn't realize they had that many.

Get recruited by Duke, become a MickeyD's All-American.

durl
03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
And while Duke is out of the tourney, Coach K is still able to use the tourney to recruit via TV commercials.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 05:27 PM
And while Duke is out of the tourney, Coach K is still able to use the tourney to recruit via TV commercials.

Let him keep recruiting those same kind of kids. That's fine. :D

improbus
03-24-2008, 08:09 PM
As much as I hate Duke, I am actually going to find myself defending them. Duke does operate on a different playing field than any other nationally competitive basketball school (with the exception of Stanford). Recruits actually have to get admitted to Duke, which is not an easy task. Needless to say, that cuts the pool of possible players for Coach K by 1/2 at least.

Razor Shines
03-24-2008, 10:59 PM
I expect Razor to enter this thread, guns ablazing, by the end of the day.

Nah, I'm good. I'm over getting pissed at Wilymo for ripping Duke. He proved with the "flagrant foul" thing that he's going to only see things one way. No reason to argue.

This "commercial" actually gave me a nice chuckle. Although I have to make one point (even though it's against my better judgement of letting things go and what not). I think a team of Duke players in The Association would whoop a team of current NBA Kentucky players ass. :evil:

WMR
03-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Chuck and Tay Tay would dominate. Buike would drop about 40 on J.J. and take his lunch money.

Razor Shines
03-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Chuck and Tay Tay would dominate. Buike would drop about 40 on J.J. and take his lunch money.

JJ wouldn't even make the team. I'd take a front line of Brand, Boozer and Battier with Hill and Dunleavy or whoever in the back court. Tay Tay would be one of the best overall players on the court, but he wouldn't be enough.

WMR
03-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Rajon would score 30 and drop about 15 dimes on that roster.

WMR
03-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Rondo
Abubuike
Prince
Hayes
Magloire/Mohammed/Morris

Bogans

It would be a good game. Your only chance against Rondo would be what... Duhon?? I guess?

MWM
03-24-2008, 11:26 PM
As much as I can't stand Duke, Razor's right on this one. Duke's best 5 in the NBA would handle UK's pretty easily, IMO.

WMR
03-24-2008, 11:27 PM
The front-court would create some real match-up problems, no doubt. But I still believe UK would have the two most valuable players on the court (Rondo & Prince).

Razor Shines
03-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Rondo
Abubuike
Prince
Hayes
Magloire/Mohammed/Morris

Bogans

It would be a good game. Your only chance against Rondo would be what... Duhon?? I guess?

There's one scorer on that roster. And I'd rotate Hill and Deng on him all game. Brand and Boozer would dominate the inside. I just don't see it happening for UK in that game. Who's Rondo's 15 dimes gonna be too? There's only one shooter. Their best bet would be to find out what Jeff Sheppard and Rex Chapman are doing right now and suit them up.

WMR
03-24-2008, 11:38 PM
There's one scorer on that roster. And I'd rotate Hill and Deng on him all game. Brand and Boozer would dominate the inside. I just don't see it happening for UK in that game. Who's Rondo's 15 dimes gonna be too? There's only one shooter. Their best bet would be to find out what Jeff Sheppard and Rex Chapman are doing right now and suit them up.

LOL Who knows maybe you're right.

Disagree on there just being one scorer though. Buike can be a big time scorer. Hell, just did a search, Gerald Fitch is over playing in Europe, might want to give him a call. ;)

WMR
03-24-2008, 11:39 PM
UK would have to really push the tempo and play a fast up and down game versus that Duke roster to have a chance. It would be a contrast in styles, for sure, considering the respective roster compositions.

Razor Shines
03-24-2008, 11:48 PM
LOL Who knows maybe you're right.

Wow. That might have to be my new sig line. WilyMo almost, sort of concedes something? Mark down this date in history. :D

WMR
03-24-2008, 11:52 PM
:laugh: ;)

You make a good argument. (Unlike the flagrant foul.) ;) ;)

MWM
03-24-2008, 11:58 PM
The front-court would create some real match-up problems, no doubt. But I still believe UK would have the two most valuable players on the court (Rondo & Prince).

Even over Boozer and Maggette? While I agree with the criticism that given the talent that goes there, Coach K doesn't do a great job of developing that talent for the NBA, They've got Boozer, Maggette, Deng, Brand (yes I know the injury), and Dunleavy. UK can't match that. I really like Tayshaun Prince as a player, but he's not the most valuable player on the floor in that game. And rondo? Seriously?

Again, I'm pretty much a hater when it comes to Duke, but that team would wipe the floor with a UK team.

Razor Shines
03-25-2008, 12:02 AM

And he's back!!:laugh::laugh:

macro
03-25-2008, 01:33 AM

Anybody remember Christian Laatner stomping on Aminu Timberlake's chest while he was lying on the floor in the famous 1992 East Regional Final? Coach K is okay with it or he'd pull these guys off the floor and instruct them that this kind of stuff won't be tolerated.

Cyclone792
03-25-2008, 08:22 AM

Boozer is a mini-Malone inside for the Jazz. He's averaging 21.5 PPG and 10.7 RPG; the Jazz are also 46-25 in a ridiculous Western Conference right now.

durl
03-25-2008, 08:46 AM
As much as I hate Duke, I am actually going to find myself defending them. Duke does operate on a different playing field than any other nationally competitive basketball school (with the exception of Stanford). Recruits actually have to get admitted to Duke, which is not an easy task. Needless to say, that cuts the pool of possible players for Coach K by 1/2 at least.

The kids may have a tough time getting in but there have been several stories written about how incredibly easy it is for the parents of recruits to find great jobs near the school.

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 08:52 AM

I was in school at Vanderbilt when Nashville native Ron Mercer was declined admission to our fine institution. So he ends up at UK. Sweet.

JP Prince also wanted to come to Vanderbilt when he left Arizona. Vanderbilt doesn't take mid-year transfers of any kind, so they weren't about to make an exception for a basketball player. So he ends up at UT. Sweet.

And yes, I think the Dookie NBAers could whup the UK NBAers pretty soundly. The primary advantage the UK NBAers would have would be at head coach -- Pat Riley.

TeamSelig
03-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Brand is injured so I like our chances against him ;)

Boozer/Brand combo would be too much to handle. However, we would have the defensive edge by a landslide.

rotnoid
03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
http://www.slate.com/id/101920/

Earlier this month, the San Jose Mercury News, examining data from 1994-97 (the last four-year period the NCAA used for documentation of grades and test scores), found that freshmen entering Duke on basketball scholarships during that period had an average SAT score of 968. The average SAT score for Duke's freshman class as a whole is generally in the high 1300s.

If all this sounds rather ho-hum and familiar, that's the point. Duke, for all the hoopla, isn't immune to the various ills plaguing college athletics—from compromised academic standards in admissions to student-athletes misbehaving once they are admitted. Duke probably doesn't cut as many corners as the Fresno States of the world, but it's not a bastion of purity, either.

It's dated (couldn't find more recent number in the few free seconds I have at work), but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Coach K has to recruit players that meet the full admissions requirements of the university. That's just naive.

GoReds33
03-25-2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.slate.com/id/101920/

It's dated (couldn't find more recent number in the few free seconds I have at work), but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Coach K has to recruit players that meet the full admissions requirements of the university. That's just naive.All universities do that though. There are no basketball programs in the NCAA that could keep a great basketball team, year in, and year out, only taking people with 1300 SATs.

WVRed
03-25-2008, 12:35 PM
If I had to assemble a team from each school:

PG-Chris Duhon
SG-Corey Magette
SF-Shane Battier
PF-Carlos Boozer
C-Elton Brand

Bench=Mike Dunleavy, JJ Redick, Shelden Williams, Grant Hill, Luol Deng

PG-Rajon Rondo
SG-Keith Bogans
SF-Tayshaun Prince
PF-Antoine Walker
C-Nazr Mohammed

Bench=Jamal Mashburn, Jamaal Magloire, Chuck Hayes, Gerald Fitch, Erik Daniels

I think I would take Duke, sadly. However, put either team against an all-UNC team and its not even close.

rotnoid
03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
All universities do that though. There are no basketball programs in the NCAA that could keep a great basketball team, year in, and year out, only taking people with 1300 SATs.

I'm not saying other universities don't, but to say that Coach K has to worry about getting these kids admitted as though it's another obstacle isn't exactly fair, is my point.

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I think I would take Duke, sadly. However, put either team against an all-UNC team and its not even close.

That would be Carter, Stackhouse, Sheed, and a bunch of young guys wouldn't it?

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
UNC:
Vince Carter, New Jersey Nets
Raymond Felton, Charlotte Bobcats
Brendan Haywood, Washington Wizards
Antawn Jamison, Washington Wizards
Sean May, Charlotte Bobcats
Rashad McCants, Minnesota Timberwolves
Jeff McInnis, Charlotte Bobcats
David Noel, Milwaukee Bucks
Jerry Stackhouse, Dallas Mavericks
Rasheed Wallace, Detroit Pistons
Marvin Williams, Atlanta Hawks
Brandan Wright, Golden State Warriors

Duke:
Shane Battier, Houston Rockets
Carlos Boozer, Utah Jazz
Elton Brand, Los Angeles Clippers
Luol Deng, Chicago Bulls
Chris Duhon, Chicago Bulls
Mike Dunleavy, Indiana Pacers
Grant Hill, Phoenix Suns
Corey Maggette, Los Angeles Clippers
Josh McRoberts, Portland Trail Blazers
Shavlik Randolph, Philadelphia 76ers
J.J. Redick, Orlando Magic
Shelden Williams, Atlanta Hawks

UK:
Derek Anderson
Kelenna Azubuike
Keith Bogans
Chuck Hayes
Jamaal Magloire
Nazr Mohammed
Randolph Morris
Tayshaun Prince
Rajon Rondo
Antoine Walker

All you Kentucky fans -- Woo Obrzut is in the DLeague, Wayne Turner is still playing in New Zealand, Sheray Thomas in Switzerland, Erik Daniels, Antoine Barbour, Hesimu Evans and Scott Padgett in Spain, Cliff Hawkins and Marquis Estill in Japan, Jules Camara is in Korea, Andre Riddick is in Belgium, Pat-Pat Sparks is in Germany, and Gerald Fitch is in Italy.

Razor Shines
01-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Nah, I'm good. I'm over getting pissed at Wilymo for ripping Duke. He proved with the "flagrant foul" thing that he's going to only see things one way. No reason to argue.

This "commercial" actually gave me a nice chuckle. Although I have to make one point (even though it's against my better judgment of letting things go and what not). I think a team of Duke players in The Association would whoop a team of current NBA Kentucky players ass. :evil:

I was watching some of the Wizards' game tonight and I don't know why but I thought about this. I knew we had a thread on it, just took some looking.

I think UK may have an edge now. Duke still doesn't have a good PG. Wall and Rondo would give them a lot of problems. I still think Duke has a nice edge inside, but I don't think that would be enough.

I will say that Redick would probably start for the Duke side now, he's turned himself into a much better NBAer than I ever thought he'd be.

NorrisHopper30
01-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Dang, you sure dug this one up from the grave.

TeamSelig
01-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Team UK dominates now.

WMR
01-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Blast from the past!!! :eek:

:lol:

BRM
01-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Team UK dominates now.

No way. Team Duke still has Mike Dunleavy!

Razor Shines
01-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Team UK dominates now.

I don't know about dominating but they're better. Deng is a better pro than most thought he would be and Boozer is also still an all star.