PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State vs. Dayton

Boston Red
03-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I know, it's only the NIT, but it should still be pretty interesting. I can't recall the last time these two programs faced off.

guttle11
03-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I believe the last time they played was an NIT game as well. Maybe the late 80s. I think Dayton won.

BuckWild03
03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I agree should be an interesting matchup and I expect Dayton to give the Bucks a heck of a game. I heard a rumor that it may be played at St. John's again. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

goreds2
03-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I agree should be an interesting matchup and I expect Dayton to give the Bucks a heck of a game. I heard a rumor that it may be played at St. John's again. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

There is nothing scheduled at Value City Arena for the 26th. I heard that old St. John Arena did rock tonight and was VERY LOUD.

http://www.schottensteincenter.com/sections/arenaevents/eventcalendar.asp

I am sure this link below will be updated upon knowing the location. (Currently says TBA)

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1414540&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=17300&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Buckeye33
03-24-2008, 09:48 PM

Word out tonight is that there is no conflict at the Schott that night so the game will be there. However, the tickets will remain 1st come 1st serve. They will probably not sell out, but they should be able to get 15K+, and all of them will be fans that want to be there. They go on sale at hangonsloopy.com at 10am tomorrow morning.

guttle11
03-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Chris Wright will be a major key for Dayton. In 10 minutes of play tonight, he had 9 points, a handful of boards, and a couple of blocks. He dictated play in the paint. Did I mention that he's a freshman and hadn't played since January 9th.

Hopefully that ankle doesn't swell up too much and he's able to give 15 minutes on Wednesday. I don't think Dayton can win without him doing so.

Hopefully UD fans travel up there for the game. We generally travel well, so it could be a fun atmosphere in the Schott with 1,000 or more crazy Flyer fans.

RedFanAlways1966
03-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Dec. 17, 1988

Ohio St. 104, Dayton 76

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Jay Burson scored 24 points and Perry Carter added 23, 21 of them in the first half, for the Buckeyes.

The victory was the sixth straight for Ohio State (6-1). Dayton, which had beaten the Buckeyes in each of Gary Williams's first two seasons as Ohio State coach, dropped to 3-3.

Dayton outscored Ohio State, 11-6, in the opening four minutes of the second half to draw to 59-45, but Ohio State scored 19 of the next 23 points for a 78-49 lead.

BuckWild03
03-24-2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.schottensteincenter.com/sections/arenaevents/eventcalendar.asp

I am sure this link below will be updated upon knowing the location. (Currently says TBA)

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1414540&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=17300&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just saw that it will be at Value City at 7 on ESPN2. Thanks.

guttle11
03-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Dec. 17, 1988

Ohio St. 104, Dayton 76

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Jay Burson scored 24 points and Perry Carter added 23, 21 of them in the first half, for the Buckeyes.

The victory was the sixth straight for Ohio State (6-1). Dayton, which had beaten the Buckeyes in each of Gary Williams's first two seasons as Ohio State coach, dropped to 3-3.

Dayton outscored Ohio State, 11-6, in the opening four minutes of the second half to draw to 59-45, but Ohio State scored 19 of the next 23 points for a 78-49 lead.

Huh, I was wrong. I'm pretty sure UD did beat OSU in the NIT one year. Must have been a few years prior.

RedFanAlways1966
03-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Two of my fav teams... but I will be rooting for the DAYTON FLYERS!

RedFanAlways1966
03-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Huh, I was wrong. I'm pretty sure UD did beat OSU in the NIT one year. Must have been a few years prior.

You had me wondering, guttle. I checked and they have never played each other in the history of the NIT.

www.nit.org/history/nit-postseason-order-of-finish.html

Dayton won the NIT in 1962 and 1968. OSU won the NIT in 1986.

HBP
03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Chris Wright will be a major key for Dayton. In 10 minutes of play tonight, he had 9 points, a handful of boards, and a couple of blocks. He dictated play in the paint. Did I mention that he's a freshman and hadn't played since January 9th.

Hopefully that ankle doesn't swell up too much and he's able to give 15 minutes on Wednesday. I don't think Dayton can win without him doing so.

Hopefully UD fans travel up there for the game. We generally travel well, so it could be a fun atmosphere in the Schott with 1,000 or more crazy Flyer fans.

He was desperately needed. I hate to play the "what if" game, but had he been healthy all season then they're at least a 7-8 seed in the big tourney.

guttle11
03-24-2008, 10:56 PM
You had me wondering, guttle. I checked and they have never played each other in the history of the NIT.

www.nit.org/history/nit-postseason-order-of-finish.html

Dayton won the NIT in 1962 and 1968. OSU won the NIT in 1986.

Well then, pay no attention to me...

jimbo
03-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Chris Wright just makes this Flyer team a totally different team. I wouldn't give them much of a chance to beat the Buckeyes if he wasn't playing, with him I think they have a chance.

Too bad he couldn't have been playing during the A10 tourney. I think the committee may have taken it into consideration.

GO FLYERS!!!!!

OSUredsFAN
03-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Two of my fav teams... but I will be rooting for the DAYTON FLYERS!

My 2 favorite schools too, going with the DAYTON FLYERS!!!!!!

bucksfan
03-25-2008, 08:46 AM
I am looking forward to the matchup. It should be fun.

St. John arena seemed really loud from watching in tv. Looked to be a great atmosphere reminiscent of the years I was at Ohio State. It always could get quite loud. I went to school during the last of Eldon Miller era and the Gary Williams era and it was fun. The teams weren't great but the atmosphere was always really good during the Williams era (featuring Dennis Hopson, Jay Burson, etc...)

Although I like the Schott ok, there is something too professional and too sterile about the place. I have been there at times when the Schott was loud as well, but even with all the more modern amenities, there is something missing compared to St. John. Of course, "back in the day I sat either in courtside student section or at the scorer's table, so I was in the thick of things. Now I;m just an old alum sitting wway up there somewhat removed fromt eh action. Don't know how much of a difference the increases in age and distance-from-court make.

Caseyfan21
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
I am looking forward to the matchup. It should be fun.

St. John arena seemed really loud from watching in tv. Looked to be a great atmosphere reminiscent of the years I was at Ohio State. It always could get quite loud. I went to school during the last of Eldon Miller era and the Gary Williams era and it was fun. The teams weren't great but the atmosphere was always really good during the Williams era (featuring Dennis Hopson, Jay Burson, etc...)

Although I like the Schott ok, there is something too professional and too sterile about the place. I have been there at times when the Schott was loud as well, but even with all the more modern amenities, there is something missing compared to St. John. Of course, "back in the day I sat either in courtside student section or at the scorer's table, so I was in the thick of things. Now I;m just an old alum sitting wway up there somewhat removed fromt eh action. Don't know how much of a difference the increases in age and distance-from-court make.

Oh man, it was AWESOME last night at the game. The crowd was cheering loudly every chance they got for everything. You could even hear echo's around the arena as people sang along with the school songs. I think my roommate summed it up best when he texted me a few minutes into the game with "I love St John." I made it to the game my freshman year that was played there and it was a loud crowd but last night was crazy. It was easily the best atmosphere I've ever seen at an OSU game....better than Wisconsin or MSU last year or Illinois a few years ago when we ruined their perfect season.

I really hope the same loud crowd will be there Wednesday. Dayton has great fans, better than OSU by far, and no doubt a lot will be traveling up for the game. I just hope a lot of Buckeyes got in this morning and got tickets. I would not be surprised to see a sell out as at noon one of my friends said he was only pulling upper deck tickets. I had a friend get in right at 10 AM so we got tickets down behind the basket again. UD was my team growing up during the Oliver Purnell years and I still keep track of them even now as I've turned my attention more towards OSU. Whichever team wins, I'm sure it will be a great game with a great atmosphere.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Buckeyes last 5 losses in the NIT:

1984 - 1st round loss to Xavier
1988 - 4th round loss to UCONN
1989 - 3rd round loss to St. John's
1993 - 1st round loss to Miami-OH
2003 - 1st round loss to Georgia Tech

1986 NIT champs

redsmetz
03-25-2008, 03:16 PM
My son is pleased with the match-up - it's at OSU where he goes to school, but one of his best friend's from high school walked on to UD's team this year as a freshman, so he gets to holler for his friend (although he probably won't get in the game).

bucksfan
03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
I really hope the same loud crowd will be there Wednesday. Dayton has great fans, better than OSU by far, and no doubt a lot will be traveling up for the game. I just hope a lot of Buckeyes got in this morning and got tickets. I would not be surprised to see a sell out as at noon one of my friends said he was only pulling upper deck tickets. I had a friend get in right at 10 AM so we got tickets down behind the basket again. UD was my team growing up during the Oliver Purnell years and I still keep track of them even now as I've turned my attention more towards OSU. Whichever team wins, I'm sure it will be a great game with a great atmosphere.

Have a great time at the game tonight! St. John certainly was a special place to watch a game to me, but hopefully we can get some of the same enthusiasm levels to the Schott... Overall atmosphere, I am afriad, would be harder to replicate.

goreds2
03-26-2008, 09:19 PM
dayton 14 OSU 11 - 12 min left in 1st half

RedFanAlways1966
03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
After the first 12 minutes it seems like every OSU player is 7 feet tall and every UD player is 6 feet tall.

RedFanAlways1966
03-26-2008, 10:00 PM
At halftime I'd have to call this a defensive game. Seemed like I saw more blocked shots in that half than I usually see in an entire week of watching basketball.

Close game and keeping fans for both sides in the game.

Heath
03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
There's about 5-7 thousand wearing Red & Blue at Ohio State.

The reason you'll never see OSU play Dayton in the regular season is the same reason why you aren't seeing it now. Which is the same reason Dayton never plays Wright State.

BuckeyeRed27
03-26-2008, 11:35 PM

The reason you'll never see OSU play Dayton in the regular season is the same reason why you aren't seeing it now. Which is the same reason Dayton never plays Wright State.

What reason is that? I'm sorry I'm not quite following you.

guttle11
03-27-2008, 12:08 AM
The reason why Dayton and OSU won't play in the regular season is simple. OSU won't do a home and home. They'll play UD at home, but Dayton isn't a "buy" game team.

Dayton/Wright St is similar, except WSU is a "buy" game team for the most part. They only insist on playing Dayton home and home to cash in on a guaranteed sellout, mostly due to Dayton fans.

Tonight's game changed when Marcus Johnson picked up his third foul right after halftime. He had been forcing Butler to pass. Without MJ on the floor, Butler was able to get good looks and hit shots. That got his team rolling, and UD wasn't able to respond with a run of their own.

Congrats to the Bucks.

Farewell Brian Roberts.

jimbo
03-27-2008, 12:28 AM

I disagree. Two totally different arguments.

UD should play WSU now because their RPI has been strong for two seasons now. Before, they consistantly hovered in the mid-100s for as long as they've been DI. In other words, no reward but all risk.

OSU playing UD, if judging by their RPI for the last 8 years, poses little risk and more reward. Meaning, a win helps your SOS and RPI and a loss doesn't it damage them extensively.

IMO, it's unfair to compare the two situations.

bucksfan
03-27-2008, 08:44 AM
That 1st half especially was some tough basketball. I really enjoyed it.

I agree about Johnson on Butler. The other thing was the Buckeyes started playing Butler off-ball a lot more by putting Hill in. Jamar was then able to run around a bit more and get that shot off from the left wing/baseline area. I swear I've seen more of PJ in the last 2 games than I did the whole 2nd hald of the B10 season!

It was also interesting how the Buckeyes went a bit smaller the 2nd half, and it seemed to help quite a bit.

Roberts is a heckuva player and that Wright sure looks to be a good one. FLyer fans will certainly enjoy watchin ghim in the coming years.

Reds Freak
03-27-2008, 09:19 AM
I disagree. Two totally different arguments.

UD should play WSU now because their RPI has been strong for two seasons now. Before, they consistantly hovered in the mid-100s for as long as they've been DI. In other words, no reward but all risk.

OSU playing UD, if judging by their RPI for the last 8 years, poses little risk and more reward. Meaning, a win helps your SOS and RPI and a loss doesn't it damage them extensively.

IMO, it's unfair to compare the two situations.

But the RPI argument doesn't explain the handful of other cupcakes usually on Ohio State's schedule like Presbyterian, Norfolk State, VMI, Columbia, etc. Why can they afford to play those teams and not in-state teams like Dayton, Xavier, UC, OU, etc? That game had such a great energy to it, it's a shame they don't consider playing more like that.

It's too bad Dayton couldn't have one more year of Wright and Roberts paired together. I don't think Dayton would have been in the NIT had Wright been healthy all season.

bucksfan
03-27-2008, 10:05 AM
But the RPI argument doesn't explain the handful of other cupcakes usually on Ohio State's schedule like Presbyterian, Norfolk State, VMI, Columbia, etc. Why can they afford to play those teams and not in-state teams like Dayton, Xavier, UC, OU, etc? That game had such a great energy to it, it's a shame they don't consider playing more like that.

It's too bad Dayton couldn't have one more year of Wright and Roberts paired together. I don't think Dayton would have been in the NIT had Wright been healthy all season.

I agree the RPI is likely not a reason for scheduling or not scheduling a game. It would be IMO somewhat a faulty approach to construct a schedule based on that criteria. Ohio State had a very decent SOS this year, and if Florida or Syracuse were playing at a higher level it would have been better. Other schools' RPI ratings would potentially be even more volatile season-to-season I would think.

I don't like the politics (or even the $ considerations to some extent) that seem to affect the scheduling process. I believe the Buckeyes should play the in-state schools, especially the better ones such as UC, X, UD, etc, even on a home-and-home basis where the venues permit. I think it is good for the entire region and the $ factor does not come into play nearly as much as it would for football. Playing at traditionally strong schools like Xavier are would only help improve the Buckeyes as they go into their regular season. I don't think it should be seen as being any different than mixing in a Butler or UNC or whoever in the OOC schedule.

jimbo
03-27-2008, 12:55 PM

I agree that it's much better from a fan's standpoint to see games against the likes of xavier, UC UD, etc., but the reason they play those cupcakes is because they do not require a return visit. They are home only games and merely money makers.

From OSU's viewpoint though, I don't agree with it. Teams like xavier, UC, and UD only strengthens your RPI and SOS numbers.

BuckeyeRed27
03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
I agree that it's much better from a fan's standpoint to see games against the likes of xavier, UC UD, etc., but the reason they play those cupcakes is because they do not require a return visit. They are home only games and merely money makers.

From OSU's viewpoint though, I don't agree with it. Teams like xavier, UC, and UD only strengthens your RPI and SOS numbers.

I don't see how any of these arguments hold up. Like they said in the broadcast last night, Ohio has become the best state in the nation for college basektball, but outside of UC/X there are really no natural rivalries and no one plays each other.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Ohio has become the best state in the nation for college basektball

:yikes:

Ohio teams in the 2008 NCAA Tourney: 2
Kentucky: 3
Tennessee: 5

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure Indiana, Texas, and Cali all had more than 2 as well.

BRM
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
:yikes:

Ohio teams in the 2008 NCAA Tourney: 2
Kentucky: 3
Tennessee: 5

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure Indiana, Texas, and Cali all had more than 2 as well.

Indiana had 4. Texas had 4 as well, I believe.

BuckeyeRed27
03-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Well it wasn't my quote it was from the annoucer last night, but year in and year out though Ohio is going to be among if not the best.
Ohio State, Xavier, Dayton, UC, Miami, Kent State have pretty good track records.

It's true only 2 teams from Ohio made it this year but Ohio State was very close and Dayton would have been in if not for an injury. I except UC to be right back in the picture in the next two years.

Reds Freak
03-29-2008, 01:19 PM
My guess is Ohio State not wanting to play these in state regular season games has nothing to do with RPI or money. They see themselves as Big Bad State U. and playing those games is a no-win proposition. If they win, that's what they are supposed to do, they are Big Bad State U. If they lose, it is embarrassing and a shot to the ego and their position in the state...

bucksfan
03-29-2008, 04:13 PM
My guess is Ohio State not wanting to play these in state regular season games has nothing to do with RPI or money. They see themselves as Big Bad State U. and playing those games is a no-win proposition. If they win, that's what they are supposed to do, they are Big Bad State U. If they lose, it is embarrassing and a shot to the ego and their position in the state...

Whatever the % of the real reason is attributed to the above is what drives me crazy. I am sure whT RF says above accounts for it on at least some level. But really, there is no trophy given to the best college hoops team in Ohio (that I know of anyway). I so wish they would look at the opponent for the quality of opponent and scheduled some home and homes like they did with Florida. I do understand though that some of the time the coach likes to get the kids to go to some slightly different location when they schedule those types of games. Not sure how much that plays into things, but regardless, I would like to see regular games with X, UC, Dayton (not all 3 at once, but 1 or 2).