PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Fever

RedLegSuperStar
03-25-2008, 04:52 PM
I have this burning sensation that has overwhelmed me this whole off season. Well pretty much since Blanco of the Cubs lined out to Coats to end the '07 season. Opening day is less then six days away now and I have a fever that can only be cured by sounds of cowhide and woodgrain clashing together, dirt flying, fresh manicured grass, sounds of "Frosty Malts.. Get your Frosty Malts here!," and 40,000 other fanatics all rooting for the same thing. Reds baseball is finally among us and I can't help being excited. Cincinnati loves it's Reds. What other city practically stops everything for one day out of Spring to celebrate Opening Day? People call off work, have there child play hooky, cancel appointments, etc.. around one day in Spring. It is like a holiday in Cincinnati and that excitement fills everyones heart.. at least for 162 games. Once that last out is made you in your mind wish that is was just beginning. Reds baseball is here again and for the first time in 25 years I will get the full experience of Opening Day. This will be the first of many.. Thank God Reds baseball is back!

*BaseClogger*
03-25-2008, 04:54 PM
And the one day of the season that the Reds should be on ESPN they show one of the Chicago, LA, or New York teams... :(

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2008, 05:00 PM
This will be my sixth straight Opening Day and eighth overall (1999, 2001, 2003-2008). It's an unbelievable event. Opening Day is by far my favorite day of the year. My dad and I usually just make the four hour drive on Monday morning and drive back after the game but this year we're leaving on Sunday morning and staying the night so we can visit the new Nuxhall exhibit on Sunday and then get up and watch the parade on Monday morning. Watchout Skyline Chilli, here I come!

Joseph
03-25-2008, 05:04 PM
This will be my 4th Opening Day in a row. Started with that wonderful 05 game between Pedro and the Reds featuring Randa and Dunns 9th inning blasts to win it.

06, not so pretty as the Scrubbies hung 16 on us I believe.

07 back in the win column.

Heres to hoping 08 features a nice day and a great win.

Chip R
03-25-2008, 05:15 PM
This will be my 10th in the last 11 years and my 6th in a row.

redsfan30
03-25-2008, 05:17 PM
This will be my fifth in a row and sixth overall.

Can't wait!

Ltlabner
03-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Will be my 4th total, 2nd in a row. Had a blast hanging out with my father all morning then catching the game last year. Will do the same again this year.

I know a lot of things will have to go right for the Reds to truely be in the hunt, but this year I am more excited about the Reds than I have been in a long time.

Spitball
03-25-2008, 05:28 PM
I haven't been to a Reds' opener since 1968. The game was delayed a day or so because of the assasination of Martin Luther King, Jr. I was supposed to go with my dad but the delay pushed it back to a day he had a business trip. I was fifteen and didn't drive and my mom wouldn't brave city driving. I ended up going with my friend Paul on a bus.

I remember it was Milt Pappas pitching for the Reds against the Cubs. Perez and Helms both homered and the Reds won. I think Helms hit maybe one more all season.

In (about) 1973 I went to a Red Sox opener against the Yankees. I remember Mel Stottlemyre started for the Yanks and got bombed. Louis Tiant pitched a complete game for the Sox. I think the final score was 15-5.

Those were my only two opening days, and they were a long time ago.

03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Not sure about how many consecutive, but my first OD was 1991, and I think I have missed 3. We have even ruined the kid's perfect attendance by calling them in that day.

kbrake
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
6th straight, 7th overall. Can't wait, Monday is going to be great.

Jpup
03-26-2008, 03:44 AM
I can't wait. I took a vacation day as I do every year, but I have never been able to score tickets and get up there. I just can't see paying 200 or 400 dollars for a good seat. You can go to any other game of the year and pay face for great seats.