PDA

View Full Version : Who would you pay to see?

dfs
03-25-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm in the process of setting up the summer schedule. I know there will be a couple of days where we'll end up with tickets and at the ballpark kind of by accident, but right now I'm planning.

Last year when Barry Bonds came to town, it was a different atmosphere at GAB.

When Nolan Ryan took the mound it was different.

Who would you make a special trip to the park to see?

I've seen pujols bat more times than I care to think about. The cubs aren't anything special. Looking around the national league...I'm kind of hard pressed to say...yeah, that's the player that I want to see (or I want my kid to see)

Am I missing somebody? Who's on your list?

redsfan30
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
The Red Sox series will be a fun atmosphere for sure, but it may very well be like when the Cubs come to town....the place will be full of "Red Sox fans".

M2
03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
The Brewers and Mets play entertaining brands of baseball. The Dodgers could be a fun series.

As rf30 mentioned, if Reds fans don't buy tickets to the Boston series it will be a home game for the Red Sox.

Cyclone792
03-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm in the process of setting up the summer schedule. I know there will be a couple of days where we'll end up with tickets and at the ballpark kind of by accident, but right now I'm planning.

Last year when Barry Bonds came to town, it was a different atmosphere at GAB.

When Nolan Ryan took the mound it was different.

Who would you make a special trip to the park to see?

I've seen pujols bat more times than I care to think about. The cubs aren't anything special. Looking around the national league...I'm kind of hard pressed to say...yeah, that's the player that I want to see (or I want my kid to see)

Am I missing somebody? Who's on your list?

I tend to try to make special trips for specific pitchers since they may only pitch one time in Cincinnati per season, or sometimes they may not even pitch at all in Cincinnati in some seasons.

Here's my short list for 2008:

Johan Santana
Jake Peavy
Brandon Webb

I'll see Webb on Opening Day, and I would guess (read: hope) that both Santana and Peavy will pitch in GABP. The Reds host the Mets for a four game series from July 17-20 immediately following the All-Star break, and one would hope that Santana would start one of those four games. Peavy may be a bit more difficult as the Padres are only in town for three games from July 21-23, with the game on the 23rd being a business day special (which I hate).

Chip R
03-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Juan Castro

In an opposing team's uniform. :D

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2008, 06:52 PM
The Red Sox series will be a fun atmosphere for sure, but it may very well be like when the Cubs come to town....the place will be full of "Red Sox fans".

I'm gonna try to go to all three games against the Sox. Should be an exciting series.

Highlifeman21
03-25-2008, 09:24 PM
I tend to try to make special trips for specific pitchers since they may only pitch one time in Cincinnati per season, or sometimes they may not even pitch at all in Cincinnati in some seasons.

Here's my short list for 2008:

Johan Santana
Jake Peavy
Brandon Webb

I'll see Webb on Opening Day, and I would guess (read: hope) that both Santana and Peavy will pitch in GABP. The Reds host the Mets for a four game series from July 17-20 immediately following the All-Star break, and one would hope that Santana would start one of those four games. Peavy may be a bit more difficult as the Padres are only in town for three games from July 21-23, with the game on the 23rd being a business day special (which I hate).

You just know in June @ The House That Jeter Ruined, you won't see Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Volquez, or Cueto starting either of the games on the 21st or 22nd.

*BaseClogger*
03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
I think the first Sunday game should be Aaron Harang against Cole Hamels... :eek:

Jpup
03-26-2008, 03:49 AM
I pay to see the Reds first, but I do like to watch them face a good team. Ryan Howard and the Phillies are always a sure bet. Other than that, I would go with the Mets, Braves, Brewers, Rockies, D-backs, & the Indians.

I hate the Red Sox so bad, I don't really even want to go to that series. We see them so much on TV anyway.

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
I paid specifically to see Vlad Guerrero in person last year when the Halos came to town.

rotnoid
03-26-2008, 10:05 AM
I was hoping to get a good look at Manny and Big Papi this year, but I'm in a wedding that weekend and can't use the tickets that came with my Power Pack. Other than that, I've gone specifically to see Bonds and Clemens. Beyond that, I just go to see the Reds.

redsrule2500
03-26-2008, 10:16 AM
I won't pay extra to see any other player for another team EVER. I couldn't care less about bonds or mcgwire hitting HRs for instance.

I might see the Indians series before others just because I can go with a few friends and enjoy (or hate) my time there.

Far East
03-26-2008, 10:18 AM
I'd prefer to see a Reds-only, intra-squad game, like the one in Sarasota on this Feb. 26 (or was it 27?).

I would pay DOUBLE to watch a mixture of Reds' vets and prospects, because I rarely pay any attention to the opposition team, anyway.

But then, I pay little attention to movie stars, entertainers, or any other celebrities, either.

Cyclone792
03-26-2008, 10:35 AM
You just know in June @ The House That Jeter Ruined, you won't see Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Volquez, or Cueto starting either of the games on the 21st or 22nd.

Tom Shearn on Friday, Saturday, and twice on Sunday.

LincolnparkRed
03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
I like any game Carlos Zambrano starts, he hits homeruns and at any moment will just go crazy, which is exciting in it's own right.

vaticanplum
03-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I've still never seen Pedro Martinez pitch despite numerous attempts. I know he's no longer PEDRO! but I would still like to be able to see him before he retires.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I've still never seen Pedro Martinez pitch despite numerous attempts. I know he's no longer PEDRO! but I would still like to be able to see him before he retires.

I was fortunate enough to see him pitch against the Reds on Opening Day in 2005. Dunn launched a long 3-run homerun against him in the first inning. After that he settled down and struckout 12 batters in six or seven innings.

Chip R
03-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I was fortunate enough to see him pitch against the Reds on Opening Day in 2005. Dunn launched a long 3-run homerun against him in the first inning. After that he settled down and struckout 12 batters in six or seven innings.

Yeah, he was pretty awesome that day. I saw him get his 3,000 K this year against the Reds.

savafan
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
To be completely honest, I love paying to go to the park when Arroyo pitches. He was the starter for every game I attended last year (even the one in Chicago), and he pitched pretty well every time out that I was at the stadium.

As for players on opposing teams, I did pay to see Bonds last year when the Giants came to town. This year, I'd be tempted to see Johan Santana pitch in GABP.