PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh???

Spitball
03-25-2008, 05:56 PM
What was up with the Red Sox and A's wearing batting helmets with Ricoh across the sides? Anyone know how this is going to work through the season? Who gets the endorsement money, the participating teams or MLB? Will the ads be on the helmets all year long? Can a player refuse to wear the ad?

What is next? Will we see players decked out like Nascars featuring uniforms plastered with Red Lobster and Miller Lite ads???

The ads don't really bother me, but it seems there is a limit to what I can accept. The renaming bowl games and stadiums has taken some of the charm out of the game for me.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
"And there's a double for Phillips! He stands on second base, which is brought to you by McKinley Mortgage....."

Chip R
Maybe it's just a Japanese thing. :dunno:

lollipopcurve
What was up with the Red Sox and A's wearing batting helmets with Ricoh across the sides?

You have got to be kidding. That's awful.

M2
03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
If only Ricoh could team up on a sponsorship with the Suave hair care products folks.

blumj
03-25-2008, 06:06 PM
They have EMC on their sleeves, too. I think it's just for the games in Japan, though. I'm pretty sure they did something similar when the Yanks and Rays went over there.

BCubb2003
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm not against sponsorships, but it's always bugged me when they do something in-game like, "this call to the bullpen brought to you by Cincinnati Bell," as if the manager would have left the starter in if they hadn't been able to sell the sponsorship.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Our best one is the umpires...they're brought to you by Lasik Plus vision correction.

redsmetz
03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Our best one is the umpires...they're brought to you by Lasik Plus vision correction.

I've always enjoyed the joke on that one. I always thought that the Star of the Game Show could be sponsored by Top Job or some such thing. Rolaids for relievers has always been an appropriate one.

Ricoh, huh? I just hope no one COPIES that one!

Gainesville Red
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
They have EMC on their sleeves, too.

Pepsi signs on the other sleeves.

remdog
03-25-2008, 07:10 PM
A few years ago MLB wanted to put ads on top of the bases. The uproar was enough that they pulled the plug on that assinine idea.

Rem

wolfboy
03-25-2008, 08:04 PM
A few years ago MLB wanted to put ads on top of the bases. The uproar was enough that they pulled the plug on that assinine idea.

Rem

Didn't that involve the Spider Man bases?

paintmered
03-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Didn't that involve the Spider Man bases?

Yep.

KronoRed
03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
It'll happen here some day, on TV we'll get ads projected onto the outfield for the flyouts brought to you by Miller Lite.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2008, 11:08 PM
How about ads on the baseballs...

BCubb2003
03-25-2008, 11:13 PM
How about ads on the baseballs...

Only Ted Williams would be able to read them.

Falls City Beer
03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
My hope is that one day every third or fourth ball entered into the field of play is actually a small pinata with food inside:

"Dunn scoops the ground ball, and he EATS IT!!! The runners advance!!....It was definitely a Lean Pocket, Terry."

sonny
03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
My hope is that one day every third or fourth ball entered into the field of play is actually a small pinata with food inside:

"Dunn scoops the ground ball, and he EATS IT!!! The runners advance!!....It was definitely a Lean Pocket, Terry."

http://www.avclub.com/content/files/images/Jim-Gaffigan-Color-5.article.jpg

Hot Pockets!

VR
03-25-2008, 11:33 PM
If only Ricoh could team up on a sponsorship with the Suave hair care products folks.

scary...that was my one word response when reading the thread title.:cool:

klw
03-25-2008, 11:40 PM
I don't have a problem with advertising on uniforms. Baseball has a long history of advertising in the stadium and the uniform is the next extension of this. If it generates more revenue and the team wishes to present itself in that manner then I have no problem with it. To think it isn't already happening in subtle forms is silly. It takes the form of a swoosh, stripes on the shoes, a new era label, a closeup on the batting glove, the body armor, the black mesh glove, the coca-cola cups, etc. Having advertising on uniforms in other sports has not stripped the EPL of its dignity. We adjust and move on. Do I want it? no Will I care a month after the A's have a McDonald's symbol on the shoulder? No.

Raisor
03-26-2008, 12:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3210800

Spitball
03-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Baseball has a long history of advertising in the stadium and the uniform is the next extension of this.

But the Red Sox have not had that long history. I remember when the Jimmy Fund (a children's cancer fund named for a child named Jimmy) sign in in right was the only permitted sign by the organization. What has happened? How much money is made by these endorsements that makes once highly principaled philosophies fall away with little question? Personally, I always respected the Sox for their Jimmy Fund stand on endorsements. It made that sign in right featuring the actual crippled child named Jimmy very special and their stand on its exclusivity all that more sincere. The players changed from season to season, but the lone endorsement was always the Jimmy Fund.

What would they say if they changed Fenway Park to Citgo Field???

remdog
03-26-2008, 01:09 AM
But the Red Sox have not had that long history. I remember when the Jimmy Fund (a children's cancer fund named for a child named Jimmy) sign in in right was the only permitted sign by the organization. What has happened? How much money is made by these endorsements that makes once highly principaled philosophies fall away with little question? Personally, I always respected the Sox for their Jimmy Fund stand on endorsements. It made that sign in right featuring the actual crippled child named Jimmy very special and their stand on its exclusivity all that more sincere. The players changed from season to season, but the lone endorsement was always the Jimmy Fund.

You are basicly asking, "what price, honor?"

And, for what it's worth, I agree with you.

Rem

jmcclain19
03-26-2008, 01:36 AM
It'll happen here some day, on TV we'll get ads projected onto the outfield for the flyouts brought to you by Miller Lite.

Fox already does this for college football at the 10 yard yellow line marker throwing a big "Overstock" logo or something similar on the playing field.

And they've been throwing up a green screen behind the players for years to run all the ads their heart desires during the game.

Its already here, knocking on the door and ready to come in the house. It's way past the hypothetical stage.

MLB has shown they have no problem giving their fans the finger in search of more money (IE DirecTV exclusive with Extra Innings, deciding they are the only one with rights to fantasy sports names & stats, etc etc).

So not only will that happen in our lifetime, but it'll probably happen before Brandon Phillips moves on to another team.

Hollcat
03-26-2008, 01:47 AM
The Cubs and someone played in Japan several years ago and the helmets had ads on them for that series.

hippie07
03-26-2008, 03:23 AM

Ha Ha - good one!

Jpup
03-26-2008, 03:32 AM
The Japanese league has ads on their helmets, etc. It's just for the two games. I am surprised no one has seen this before. Every time American guys play over there, they do this.

klw
03-26-2008, 08:01 AM
It would say they blew the opportunity to call it Giant Coke Bottles Field. :) Boston survived losing the Garden and its history, it would survive a name change to Dunkin Donut Field at the Fens. We may not like it but we would adjust.

blumj
03-26-2008, 09:03 AM

The Green Monster was covered with ads in the 30's-40's, and the exclusivity of the Jimmy Fund sign later was purely symbolic. The money the Red Sox donate and raise for the Jimmy Fund and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute is tangible. Increasing their endorsements has allowed the Red Sox to preserve and enhance Fenway Park, put a better baseball team on the field, while also continuing and increasing their commitment to the Jimmy Fund and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. You could find some Red Sox fans who don't approve of the way the current management tries to squeeze every last dollar out of that ballpark, but I think you'd have a hard time finding any who question their commitment to the Jimmy Fund and Dana Farber, based on the presense of those ads or anything else.

Spitball
03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
The announcers are talking about the ads right now. MLB doesn't allow advertising except for the international games.

BTW, I don't believe Denorfia is with the A's for this trip.

blumj
03-26-2008, 09:34 AM
The announcers are talking about the ads right now. MLB doesn't allow advertising except for the international games.

BTW, I don't believe Denorfia is with the A's for this trip.
Denorfia started in CF and drove in their first run. Looks like Cust PH for him.

Yachtzee
03-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Too bad the makers of Ricola couldn't have gotten in on the action. Instead of a player's regular at-bat music, they would have a man in lederhosen blow an Alphorn and call "RIIIIICOOOOLLAAAAAAA!"

Actually, I'm surprised players haven't sold their at-bat music for endorsement ops.

Roy Tucker
03-26-2008, 09:43 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3210800

I work for EMC. We're a Boston-based company (Hopkinton, actually) and the company made a big deal out of all this internally. We could buy the jerseys if we wanted for $70 (which I guess isn't bad). They also sometimes forget that not all of us live in the greater New England area and don't really care to buy a Red Sox jersey.

I should also mention that part of the jersey proceeds goes to the Jimmy Fund.

EMC also sponsors the luxury boxes at Fenway.

Boston Red Sox jerseys with EMC logo patch now available
Wear your gear to work on Opening Day
March 17, 2008 -- March 25th update

You asked! We worked with Major League Baseball (MLB) to respond. Now EMC employees can purchase a Boston Red Sox replica jersey with the same EMC logo patch on the sleeve that the players will be wearing when they begin the 2008 regular season in Tokyo, Japan.

The 2007 World Series champion Boston Red Sox will usher in the new season with two games against the Oakland A’s in Tokyo, March 25-26. The EMC sleeve patch, specially designed with the EMC logo and the words “Japan 2008” to commemorate EMC’s sponsorship of the Opening Series, will be affixed to the uniforms of all Red Sox players, coaches, and field manager Terry Francona. It will only be worn during the Opening Series.

redsrule2500
03-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Ricoh starting lineups!

edit: yeah i just checked them out on the game right now, look really really dumb. Hope it's just for the japanese stuff.