PDA

View Full Version : 2008 McDonald's All American Game

Puffy
03-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Tonight is the McDonald's High School game (9:00 on Espn). Here are the rosters with the colleges they will be attending:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3252976

Very excited to see Tyler Zeller and Ed Davis. Zeller has been a monster this year in Indiana and Davis is smooth. Plus, Larry Drew, the forgotten Tar Heel recruit, won the three-point shooting competition yesterday. Its a good time to be a Heel fan.

Anyone else gonna watch and anyone you are excited to see??

bucksfan
03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Ill be flippin' between the Buckeyes playing Dayton in the NIT tourney and this. Honestly I will be watching mostly the Buckeyes and flip to the McD's game just in commercials. That said, as a Buckeye I am of course anxious to see Buford and Mullens. I understand they are on opposite squads despite bioth playing HS ball in OH.

WMR
03-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Scotty Hopson.

Chip R
03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Shouldn't this thread be retitled "Future Duke Intrasquad Game"? ;)

BRM
03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Only one kid committed to Duke between the two rosters. Clearly there must be some sort of mistake.

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 02:55 PM
I wonder if Luke Babbitt is related to Shooty Babbitt.

TeamSelig
03-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Scotty Hopson.

I haven't kept up with any recruiting this season... the Patterson deal took enough out of me last season :) Is this kid UK bound?

Puffy
03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Hopson is undecided. He committed to Miss St but then decided not to sign with them. He is "looking" at Louisville, Kentucky, Tennessee and Miss St.

WMR
03-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I wonder if Luke Babbitt is related to Shooty Babbitt.

I was thinking Lorena Babbitt. ;)

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 03:04 PM
I was thinking Lorena Babbitt. ;)

Charlie Babbitt?

Wasn't Lorena's name Bobbitt?

TeamSelig
03-26-2008, 03:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgGNkWfciyk

Nice.... I will probably watch and pray he chooses blue!

WMR
03-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I haven't kept up with any recruiting this season... the Patterson deal took enough out of me last season :) Is this kid UK bound?

There's a great chance this one will be just as bad on a Cat fan's nerves as the Patterson recruitment. Kid is a straight up STUD.

Everything I hear is that it is going to come down to a recruiting battle between Pearl and Billy G.

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Everything I hear is that it is going to come down to a recruiting battle between Pearl and Billy G.

I know who wins, but I'm not tellin. :cool:

TeamSelig
03-26-2008, 03:09 PM
I understand the strong hope for Pearl to IU now :)

TeamSelig
03-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Billy G did beat out Billy D and Coach K last season..... ;)

BRM
03-26-2008, 03:10 PM
I know who wins, but I'm not tellin. :cool:

I'm anxiously awaiting your PM. ;)

WMR
03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Charlie Babbitt?

Wasn't Lorena's name Bobbitt?

I was joking. ;) It was close enough for me. ;)

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting your PM. ;)

Done.

BRM
03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Done.

Got it.

Is TeamSelig's post referring to Patterson? I was told he was coming to UK anyway, with or without Billy DUI.

TeamSelig
03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
They kept it pretty secret the entire time, so what you were told could have been wrong. I do know that UK wasn't at the top of his list until after BG came into town.

WMR
03-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah, the Patterson sweepstakes was a roller-coaster. You know what sealed the deal? Billy G's in-home visit with the Pattersons. He had not only every day, but every hour on a schedule for Patterson as far as his bball development etc. etc. His parents were blown away. I truly believe Patterson would be with his little buddy Jai had Billy G not come aboard. (Speaking of Jai, I'm so glad that little midget is a gaytor).

15fan
03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Al-Farouq Aminu is Arabic for "eat dirt and die, Tar Heel and Blue Devil scum".

Last McD's AA to suit up for my alma mater is this guy (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2779).

WMR
03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Al-Farouq Aminu is Arabic for "eat dirt and die, Tar Heel and Blue Devil scum".

Last McD's AA to suit up for my alma mater is this guy (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2779).

Mr. Nut Puncher? :D

15fan
03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Mr. Nut Puncher? :D

Jules was nuts.

I question whether he had any to punch, though.

WMR
03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
:laugh:

BRM
03-26-2008, 03:47 PM
They kept it pretty secret the entire time, so what you were told could have been wrong.

No doubt. I've been given wrong information lots of times.

Buckeye33
03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm obviously looking forward to watching Ohio State's two recruits, BJ Mullens and William Buford. I've seen both play on TV for their high school teams, but I'm looking to see how they play with other players of their skill level.

These games always get out of control, but they can show how athletic these kids are.

Also looking forward to watching Mullens go up against Samuels. Mullens went up against no one close to his size here in Columbus in high school.

I believe Hopson is the only player playing tonight that is not committed. I'd have to double check for sure, but I think that's right. Should be interesting.

joshnky
03-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Watch out for Samardo Samuels. He is good enough that next year's Cards could be even stronger than this years despite the losses of Padgett, Palacios, and likely Caracter.

BRM
03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Watch out for Samardo Samuels. He is good enough that next year's Cards could be even stronger than this years despite the losses of Padgett, Palacios, and likely Caracter.

What's the word on Caracter? Is he really expected to leave?

WMR
03-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Most ironic name in the history of sports.

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 04:21 PM
What's the word on Caracter? Is he really expected to leave?

Sounds like Pitino is doing everything except buying his suit to wear on NBDL draft night.

BRM
03-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Sounds like Pitino is doing everything except buying his suit to wear on NBDL draft night.

Rick's trying to convince him to leave, huh? I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Puffy
03-26-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm obviously looking forward to watching Ohio State's two recruits, BJ Mullens and William Buford. I've seen both play on TV for their high school teams, but I'm looking to see how they play with other players of their skill level.

These games always get out of control, but they can show how athletic these kids are.

Also looking forward to watching Mullens go up against Samuels. Mullens went up against no one close to his size here in Columbus in high school.

I believe Hopson is the only player playing tonight that is not committed. I'd have to double check for sure, but I think that's right. Should be interesting.

Tyreke Evans is also undecided. He is looking at Louisville and Villanova the hardest, I believe.

paintmered
03-26-2008, 04:37 PM

...and Pitino and Cronin. There's also speculation that UAB is in the mix.

In fact, there were some denied rumors floating around some SEC school's boards that Hopson already verballed to UC. There will be all kinds of speculation with him, but he's going to take his time making a decision.

Personally, I think UK got in too late in the game with him for him to end up in Lexington.

BRM
03-26-2008, 04:38 PM
...and Pitino and Cronin. There's also speculation that UAB is in the mix.

And maybe even Rick Barnes.

joshnky
03-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Tyreke Evans is also undecided. He is looking at Louisville and Villanova the hardest, I believe.

Old news. Louisville dropped out and moved on to next years class and it looks like Memphis is now the likely destination.

Also, I'd be shocked if Hopson goes to Louisville. They're pretty crowded at his position already and don't have the scholarships to give. I think Pitino is probably lightly pursuing Hopson just in case Clark or Williams leave early.

WMR
03-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Hopson is either going to UT or UK. There's no way in the world he'll go to a program like UC.

joshnky
03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I really don't know much about it but if he was seriously considering UK why not just go ahead and commit? He is a local kid and they've pursued him hard since he reopened his recruitment. UK must be a known commodity to him and yet he still hasn't committed and now he's adding additional school's to his list. IMO, there is something he doesn't like about the Cats. It may be nothing more than a desire to go out of state but a long recruitment can't bode well for Kentucky.

WMR
03-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Disagree wholly. It's actually better for UK the longer the recruitment goes on. Pearl was recruiting him way before he ever officially re-opened his commitment to MSU. The longer the recruitment goes on, the better it is for UK i.e., the more time that Billy G and UK have to catch up.

All that being said, I still think UT has a pretty good lead on successfully landing him.

WMR
03-26-2008, 08:55 PM
I've been following his recruitment extremely closely through a number of different venues.

WVRed
03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
You've also gotta remember, similar to what people said about Terrelle Pryor, Hopson is playing basketball in the state of Kentucky. If he came out and announced that he was playing for Tennessee, fans would not be overly enthused. Thats why I could see not announcing during the trip to Rupp.

If I were Hopson and were planning on playing for Tennessee, I would wait for the best time possible to committ.

WMR
03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
:lol:

Yep, I'd probably wait till I was on 75 south set to cross into Tennessee. :laugh:

Redlegs23
03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Hopson is either going to UT or UK. There's no way in the world he'll go to a program like UC.

No way in the world that he'll end up at a program like UC? Why would he be considering a visit then? Also, not sure what you mean by "a program like UC." They've had two down years for obvious reasons, but that doesn't mean the program isn't still respected.

"When this is over I'm going to take some visits to some colleges and evaluate my situation and then probably make a decision after that," Hopson told Rivals.com. "I have some schools in mind like Tennessee, Texas probably, Kentucky, maybe Louisville, probably Cincinnati."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=789189

WMR
03-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm just telling you the facts. I know people who are close to the recruitment and it is between those two schools. Believe whatever you want. Scotty has been evasive with the press throughout his recruitment.

Sorry, but UC has nowhere near the recruiting pull of UK or a Pearl-led Tennessee. Those are just simple facts.

Redlegs23
03-26-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm just telling you the facts. I know people who are close to the recruitment and it is between those two schools. Believe whatever you want. Scotty has been evasive with the press throughout his recruitment.

Sorry, but UC has nowhere near the recruiting pull of UK or a Pearl-led Tennessee. Those are just simple facts.

I believe you that UK and Tennessee are probably the leaders for Hopson. I'm sure your sources know more than me, all I know is what I read and rumors. I just find it funny that your attitude comes across as being a little holier than thou.

It's not like UC is a mid-major, and if you look into Cronin's recruiting history you might be a little surprised by the talent that he has landed as a head coach and an assistant. UC had the top recruiting class in the nation when he was an assistant in the '90's and it was due largely to Cronin. He also landed a couple big-time recruits when he was at Louisville. Those are just the simple facts.

WMR
03-26-2008, 09:36 PM
I think Cronin will do extremely well at UC. What he accomplished this season is nothing short of miraculous.

GoReds33
03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
The Boston game is on. Let's get this over with. I want to see this game, and I'm not waiting all night.

WMR
03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
It's coming up as soon as this stupid NBA game finishes up.

WMR
03-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Jeez these announcers are pathetic. Just blabbing about stupid stuff. Talk about the game and the players.

GoReds33
03-27-2008, 01:07 AM
That game's just terrible. It didn't hold my attention at all. In the first half, some kid air balled a wide open three. Now I know there are nerves invoved, but I think that I could hit the rim. The game was probably the worst I have seen in years. Nobody popped out, proving he is the number one player.

GoReds33
03-27-2008, 01:22 AM
This is from the Kentucky Sports Radio blog:

Then there is Scotty Hopson. No matter what anyone suggests to the contrary, Kentucky wants Hopson. Scotty is playing in the McDonald’s All American Game this week and then afterwards will be heading to visit Kentucky in the next 2-3 weeks, along with Tennessee, Cincy and potentially Louisville. The Vols are still the leader here but Kentucky is in the game. As a matter of fact, I think if it werent for Kentucky being involved, Hopson would have already made a commitment to Tennessee. But the Cats have a chance to impress and with Hopson’s scoring ability, that visit may be as important as any that didnt involve a guy named Patrick Patterson, in a long time.
I think he's going to Tennessee, but if UC and UK can get him on their respective campuses it would be intresting. Both have some of the greatest facilities in the nation.