PDA

View Full Version : Murton on his way out with the Cubs.

flyer85
03-26-2008, 06:06 PM
from rotoworld

he Cubs have decided to go with Ronny Cedeno and Mike Fontenot over Matt Murton and Alex Cintron for the final two spots on their bench.
A Murton trade would be best for all parties.

seems like he would be a superior option to the loser of a Freel/Hopper battle.

BRM
03-26-2008, 06:08 PM
seems like he would be a superior option to the loser of a Freel/Hopper battle.

I think he would be an upgrade. Freel would probably need to be traded away first.

reds44
03-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Wow. Cedeno and Fontenot over Murton is beyond stupid. He'd be a nice RH backup in LF and RF.

RedsManRick
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
How can a career .296/.365/.455 hitter not find a job? Crazy.

fearofpopvol1
03-26-2008, 06:13 PM
He's not apt for RF and definitely not CF. He can cover some ground, but his arm is horrible. He's a decent bench option, but nothing more.

flyer85
03-26-2008, 06:14 PM
He's not apt for RF and definitely not CF. He can cover some ground, but his arm is horrible. He's a decent bench option, but nothing more.
He certainly has more pop than Freel/Hopper which makes him better in a reserve role.

kbrake
03-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Didn't him and Dusty have some issues when they were in Chicago together?

Will M
03-26-2008, 06:15 PM
1. A Freel for Murton trade would have helped both clubs. The Cubs likely don't need Freel now that they have signed Reed Johnson.

2. I would still LOVE to have Murton since all our power hitting outfielders hit lefty. Heck, we could also give him a mitt and a crash course at 1B.

Highlifeman21
03-26-2008, 06:16 PM
And the Cubs wonder why it's been 100 years....

fearofpopvol1
03-26-2008, 06:18 PM
He certainly has more pop than Freel/Hopper which makes him better in a reserve role.

He has more pop, but he's not a good fielder. It also assumes that Freel/Hopper can/will be moved. As I said, Murton would make a fantastic bench option, but not much more.

reds44
03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
838 ABs
28 doubles
38 doubles
5 3B
98 RBI
124 R
.296/.365/.455

How does that get somebody sent to AAA? He doesn't do anything that really stands out to you, but he certainly is a solid option as a 4th outfielder.

OnBaseMachine
Some other small move were made today:

The Rockies traded RHP Ramon Ramirez to the Royals for a PTBNL. That's a guy I wish the Reds had went after. He struggled a bit last year but in '06 he pitched 67.2 innings with the Rockies and allowed only 58 hits with a 27 bb/61 k ratio and a 3.46 ERA out of the bullpen. Plus it would give the Reds two Ramon Ramirez' and two Drew Andersons.

In addition to that move the Royals traded C/1B Justin Huber to the Padres for a PTBNL. Huber has a career .288/.383/.495 career minor league line. That's another guy I'd like to have seen brought in as a RH power bat off the bench.

Puffy
I'm pretty sure Lou Pinella has a reason for this. You don't win a World Series and a 100 games in a season a couple of other times and not know what you are doing.

If Murton doesn't fit Lou has a reason.

RedsManRick
03-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Is it just me or does Murton seem like a second coming of Jeff Conine? Almost the exact same skill set. Even built the same way. His body might not be as young though...

reds44
03-26-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Lou Pinella has a reason for this. You don't win a World Series and a 100 games in a season a couple of other times and not know what you are doing.

If Murton doesn't fit Lou has a reason.
You could say the same thing about a 3 time manager of the year. :dunno:

*BaseClogger*
03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Some other small move were made today:

The Rockies traded RHP Ramon Ramirez to the Royals for a PTBNL. That's a guy I wish the Reds had went after. He struggled a bit last year but in '06 he pitched 67.2 innings with the Rockies and allowed only 58 hits with a 27 bb/61 k ratio and a 3.46 ERA out of the bullpen. Plus it would give the Reds two Ramon Ramirez' and two Drew Andersons.

In addition to that move the Royals traded C/1B Justin Huber to the Padres for a PTBNL. Huber has a career .288/.383/.495 career minor league line. That's another guy I'd like to have seen brought in as a RH power bat off the bench.

Those would have made excellent targets...

Puffy
03-26-2008, 06:27 PM
You could say the same thing about a 3 time manager of the year. :dunno:

I would - hey, I actually like the Dusty hiring.

SMcGavin
03-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Is it just me or does Murton seem like a second coming of Jeff Conine? Almost the exact same skill set. Even built the same way. His body might not be as young though...

His body is definitely not as young. Maybe in ten years.

I'm with everyone else, Murton would be a nice addition.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Another guy I would target is Braves catcher Brayan Pena. Former Red Corky Miller is reportedly going to win the backup catchers role over Pena, and with Pena out of the options the Braves are looking to trade him. It shouldn't take a whole lot to land him. Use Pena as the primary catcher and use Ross or Valentin as the backup.

lollipopcurve
03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Pena is not good defensively. He isn't the answer to the catching question.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Pena is not good defensively. He isn't the answer to the catching question.

I had read that he was solid defensively but I haven't seen him play enough to judge.

Thanks.

Chip R
03-26-2008, 07:31 PM
How can a career .296/.365/.455 hitter not find a job?

Ginger kid.

Raisor
03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I had read that he was solid defensively but I haven't seen him play enough to judge.

Thanks.

I've seen him play a bit. He's not Bench back there by any means, but he's an ok catcher. Better then Valentin by far. Really good minor league offensive numbers.

I'd do it in a second.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2008, 07:40 PM
I've seen him play a bit. He's not Bench back there by any means, but he's an ok catcher. Better then Valentin by far. Really good minor league offensive numbers.

I'd do it in a second.

Yeah, his bat was what really intigued me. He's a career .303/.350/.391 hitter in the minors. The .391 SLG % isn't the greatest but his power seemed to blossom somewhat last year in Richmond (career high .423 slg last season). To top it off he's a switch hitter and he speaks spanish, which is what we need for Cueto.

jojo
03-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Right. He's pretty much a corner outfielder (but a good defensive LFer) with platoon splits. He'd be a great 4th outfielder but not a good answer for CF.

mth123
03-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Wow. Cedeno and Fontenot over Murton is beyond stupid. He'd be a nice RH backup in LF and RF.

I like Murton too, but Fontenot can play lots of positions and Cedeno is the only IF on the team capable of playing SS with plus defense. I can see the logic. Benches are short these days and you have to have guys that can do certain things in games situations. Murton's OPS doesn't help much sitting on the bench and while its nice to have, a guy who can come into the game and play SS is more important to have. Murton went from necessity to luxury with the signing of Reed Johnson. If an OF gets hurt Murton can be up and in there and he won't be rusty form sitting all the time. Meanwhile, on a daily basis, the Cubs will have CF covered with Johnson, SS with Cedeno and just about everywhere else with Fontenot. That flexability is needed in a league with double switches and on a team flawed starters like Theriot and Pie.

blumj
03-26-2008, 11:31 PM
I like Murton too, but Fontenot can play lots of positions and Cedeno is the only IF on the team capable of playing SS with plus defense. I can see the logic. Benches are short these days and you have to have guys that can do certain things in games situations. Murton's OPS doesn't help much sitting on the bench and while its nice to have, a guy who can come into the game and play SS is more important to have. Murton went from necessity to luxury with the signing of Reed Johnson. If an OF gets hurt Murton can be up and in there and he won't be rusty form sitting all the time. Meanwhile, on a daily basis, the Cubs will have CF covered with Johnson, SS with Cedeno and just about everywhere else with Fontenot. That flexability is needed in a league with double switches and on a team flawed starters like Theriot and Pie.
I could be wrong, but I think the problem is that Murton's out of options.

mth123
03-26-2008, 11:44 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the problem is that Murton's out of options.

No. Cedeno, Soto, Angel Guzman are the Cubs out of options guys.

jojo
03-27-2008, 12:00 AM

Guzman would look pretty good in the Reds pen. :cool:

blumj
03-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Thanks. I assumed since he came up in '05, but I guess they never optioned him at least one of those years. Yeah, I'd stash him for now if I were them, too.

Team Clark
03-27-2008, 12:25 AM

Agreed. Let's make a deal. Didn't he kill the Reds on Opening Day a few years ago?