PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Avatars and Sigs

Screwball
03-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I was just wondering if it was possible to keep someone's avatar and signature together with that person's original post. As it's currently set up, if I go and look up one of my (or anybody else's) posts from a few months ago it'll have my current avatar and sig rather than the ones I had at the time.

It's not really a big deal, but I just like seeing the post match up with the sig and avatar that poster had when they made the post. It gives things a little context, and some of the old sigs and avatars people had but since changed were hilarious.

Boss-Hog
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I was just wondering if it was possible to keep someone's avatar and signature together with that person's original post. As it's currently set up, if I go and look up one of my (or anybody else's) posts from a few months ago it'll have my current avatar and sig rather than the ones I had at the time.

It's not really a big deal, but I just like seeing the post match up with the sig and avatar that poster had when they made the post. It gives things a little context, and some of the old sigs and avatars people had but since changed were hilarious.
I'm 99.9% sure it always matches up the current avatar with old posts to conserve bandwidth and increase speed. I imagine that'd be a huge bandwidth hog.

Screwball
03-28-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm 99.9% sure it always matches up the current avatar with old posts to conserve bandwidth and increase speed.

http://rightofmississippi.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/jimcarrey2.jpg

So you're tellin' me there's a chance...

smith288
03-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I believe the default system setup for vBulletin is that it shows only what you have most recently saved.

There is probably hacks out there for what Screwball wants. I believe a board called IP Board lets you see your sig at the time of the post. But we dont use that

Unassisted
03-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I imagine that'd be a huge bandwidth hog.I could picture this being a disk space hog, too. The board would have to store the information about the current avatar in a separate database field with each post, in addition to retaining the avatar file itself if it was uploaded instead of linked.

smith288
03-28-2008, 11:25 PM
I could picture this being a disk space hog, too. The board would have to store the information about the current avatar in a separate database field with each post, in addition to retaining the avatar file itself if it was uploaded instead of linked.
One word: memcached (http://www.danga.com/memcached/)