PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports: What Were They Thinking??

Matt700wlw
03-27-2008, 05:00 PM
What were they thinking?

- Texas is a team that has a high-octane offense but a pitching staff that forces parents to cover their children's eyes, and so what was the big off-season move? Trading its best young pitcher, Edinson Volquez, to add a bat, Josh Hamilton. No knock on Hamilton. He's a legitimate offensive force. But guess what the biggest concern is in Texas? Right. It's pitching. Guess what's up with Volquez? He's in the Reds rotation.

- Pitchers Kyle Lohse and Josh Fogg, who both passed on solid offers to remain with teams that appreciated their value, spent the winter searching the free-agent market, and wound up being bargain signs — Lohse in St. Louis and Fogg with the Reds.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7955898/Questions-pick-up-as-spring-winds-down

RedLegSuperStar
03-27-2008, 05:03 PM
What were they thinking?

- Texas is a team that has a high-octane offense but a pitching staff that forces parents to cover their children's eyes, and so what was the big off-season move? Trading its best young pitcher, Edinson Volquez, to add a bat, Josh Hamilton. No knock on Hamilton. He's a legitimate offensive force. But guess what the biggest concern is in Texas? Right. It's pitching. Guess what's up with Volquez? He's in the Reds rotation.

Not only is he in the Reds rotation but he's pitching like a 3rd spot starter. 26k's and 4 walks! That is huge!

RedLegSuperStar
03-27-2008, 05:05 PM
What were they thinking?

- Pitchers Kyle Lohse and Josh Fogg, who both passed on solid offers to remain with teams that appreciated their value, spent the winter searching the free-agent market, and wound up being bargain signs Lohse in St. Louis and Fogg with the Reds.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7955898/Questions-pick-up-as-spring-winds-down

Fogg missed an oppertunity to cash in and the Reds lucked out and got him for $4 million less.

traderumor
03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Fogg missed an oppertunity to cash in and the Reds lucked out and got him for $4 million less.No one paying Josh Fogg to pitch is lucking out ;)

Spring~Fields
03-27-2008, 06:09 PM
No one paying Josh Fogg to pitch is lucking out ;)

I'm expecting big things from the Fogg :D

reds44
03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Would you have rather had Kyle Loshe or Josh Fogg as the Reds 5th starter? I would have liked Loshe more.

Highlifeman21
03-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Would you have rather had Kyle Loshe or Josh Fogg as the Reds 5th starter? I would have liked Loshe more.

Kyle Lohse, by a landslide.

SMcGavin
03-27-2008, 06:18 PM

Clearly Lohse, and I don't think it's close. For all the grief he gets Kyle Lohse is not a bad pitcher.

Always Red
03-27-2008, 06:19 PM

We had Lohse once and I couldn't wait for them to trade him the first time.

I don't think Fogg will be here much longer than Lohse was, to be honest.

Highlifeman21
03-27-2008, 06:23 PM
We had Lohse once and I couldn't wait for them to trade him the first time.

I don't think Fogg will be here much longer than Lohse was, to be honest.

If that's the case, then I hope we get a similar return on investment that we did for Lohse.

Ga_Red
03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
It says here that

JF wins more games
pitches more innings
has more quality starts
for the Reds

than

KL does for the Redbirds.

As many as want to put
10 bucks down against
this proposition,
send me an email,
by 3/31.

2 out of 3
determines the winner.

RedlegJake
03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Ga Red...I don;t want to bet you...I'd like to take some of that action, too. Fogg will outwin Lohse while Kyle is busy looking all peripherally like the better pitcher. But you know, winning doesn't mean anything...:rolleyes: Josh is just a lot luckier. Every year.

Redhook
03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
The fact that there's an argument over who would be better between Fogg and Lohse as our #5 starter is a great thing. If this was last year, we'd be arguing who would #3 between the two.

mbgrayson
03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm expecting big things from the Fogg :D

Like a big ERA?....lol

paintmered
03-27-2008, 08:39 PM
The fact that there's an argument over who would be better between Fogg and Lohse as our #5 starter is a great thing. If this was last year, we'd be arguing who would #3 between the two.

It wasn't too long ago that Joey Hamilton and Corey Lidle were our Opening Day starters.

mth123
03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Not a big fan of either guy, but one thing Josh Fogg has going for him is that he is not Kyle Lohse. He should be thankful for that.

They both should be happy they aren't Kirk Saarloos.

Highlifeman21
03-27-2008, 08:53 PM
It wasn't too long ago that Joey Hamilton and Corey Lidle were our Opening Day starters.

RIP Corey Lidle

Spring~Fields
03-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Not a big fan of either guy, but one thing Josh Fogg has going for him is that he is not Kyle Lohse. He should be thankful for that.

They both should be happy they aren't Kirk Saarloos.

Fogg is with a fairly decent team now in Cincy he just might do better for the Reds in addition he might save some wear and tear on the other guys and then again he might have to walk on water, because if he does bad we will be chasing him to the river.

mth123
03-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Fogg is with a fairly decent team now in Cincy he just might do better for the Reds in addition he might save some wear and tear on the other guys and then again he might have to walk on water, because if he does bad we will be chasing him to the river.

I think Fogg can be useful as a take one for the team guy, though I prefer him as a swingman. But don't think he'll be better in Cincy than he was with the Rockies. Colorado had a pretty good pen to protect him. The Red's pen has the potential to be gruesome.

Spring~Fields
03-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I think Fogg can be useful as a take one for the team guy, though I prefer him as a swingman. But don't think he'll be better in Cincy than he was with the Rockies. Colorado had a pretty good pen to protect him. The Red's pen has the potential to be gruesome.

With Fogg I am hoping that some intangibles help him perform better for Cincy. I hope that Pole, Harang, Arroyo and the defense helps him improve by some personal influences and mechanical.

I hope that he will take some pressure off of Harang and Arroyo to be all and everything as well as the innings eater to give the pen a break. Otherwise he is just a common stop gap until they get someone better in the future, but it is possible that he be a contributor to a successful Reds team this year.

RedFanAlways1966
03-27-2008, 09:18 PM

And this year will the 5-year anniversary of another Opening Day starter...

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/d7/180px-Reds_haynes.jpg

SMcGavin
03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Ga Red...I don;t want to bet you...I'd like to take some of that action, too. Fogg will outwin Lohse while Kyle is busy looking all peripherally like the better pitcher. But you know, winning doesn't mean anything...:rolleyes: Josh is just a lot luckier. Every year.

I didn't know ERA was a peripheral.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-27-2008, 09:47 PM
For this season it was a gamble worth taking (signing Fogg). I'm in the camp that believes the 2008 moves are geared toward finding out what's worth retaining for '09 and beyond. I strongly believe if this were the opening of the 2009 season, Josh Fogg would have not even been offered a contract from the Reds. Castellini will pony up (just like he did for Francisco Cordero) the $$$$ and bring in the premiere SP from Free Agency and continue having everything point to the Reds return to the post season. 2008 is the year to be a
.500+ team and to get that monkey off of this franchise's back. If nothing else- Castellini and company are definitely methodical.

Fogg is a piece of the 2008 puzzle and nothing more. Fogg=One and done in Cincinnati. Would've been the same scenario had it been Lohse.

*BaseClogger*
03-28-2008, 01:38 AM
With Fogg I am hoping that some intangibles help him perform better for Cincy. I hope that Pole, Harang, Arroyo and the defense helps him improve by some personal influences and mechanical.

The Rockies had excellent defense last season. The Reds defense was horrible. Don't count on it...

For this season it was a gamble worth taking (signing Fogg). I'm in the camp that believes the 2008 moves are geared toward finding out what's worth retaining for '09 and beyond. I strongly believe if this were the opening of the 2009 season, Josh Fogg would have not even been offered a contract from the Reds. Castellini will pony up (just like he did for Francisco Cordero) the $$$$ and bring in the premiere SP from Free Agency and continue having everything point to the Reds return to the post season. 2008 is the year to be a
.500+ team and to get that monkey off of this franchise's back. If nothing else- Castellini and company are definitely methodical.

Fogg is a piece of the 2008 puzzle and nothing more. Fogg=One and done in Cincinnati. Would've been the same scenario had it been Lohse.

:rockband:

Screwball
03-28-2008, 01:42 AM
It says here that

JF wins more games
pitches more innings
has more quality starts
for the Reds

than

As many as want to put
10 bucks down against
this proposition,
send me an email,
by 3/31.

2 out of 3
determines the winner.

I will certainly take that bet. However, I have a slight modification. Winner picks the loser's avatar to use during the playoffs.

Deal?

WVRedsFan
03-28-2008, 02:14 AM
Kyle Lohse, by a landslide.

BINGO!

I don't know hat Lohse got at St. Louis in terms of money, but Fogg has never impressed me. Lohse did every other start. Lt's just say that the rush to get a starter may have been premature on Krivsky's part. I'd almost rather have Homer Bailey in the rotation (if not for the learning process) than Josh Fogg. Of course, I'd rahter have Jay Bruce in CF, but that's another story.

redsrule2500
03-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Fogg was a rookie of the year candidate with 3 votes back in 2002. I think he could still get better, he's young and got some solid stuff. He could be a surprise this year.

Team Clark
03-28-2008, 09:00 AM
It says here that

JF wins more games
pitches more innings
has more quality starts
for the Reds

than

As many as want to put
10 bucks down against
this proposition,