PDA

View Full Version : Freel Close to Being Gone?

reds44
03-27-2008, 08:28 PM
The reason for the lack of cuts? It could be because the Reds are trying to move Ryan Freel. I've heard calls have gone out to Philadelphia, Minnesota and others.

-Fay

I wonder who we are looking at from Philly, Minnesota, and "others".

RedLegSuperStar
03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Ryan Freel and Cash for Jesse Crain?

edabbs44
03-27-2008, 08:42 PM
The reason for the lack of cuts? It could be because the Reds are trying to move Ryan Freel. I've heard calls have gone out to Philadelphia, Minnesota and others.

I wish calls were coming in rather than going out.

RedLegSuperStar
03-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Although I don't understand why their hasn't been more cuts.. Freel is on this roster on Opening Day if he isn't dealt. He's proven he's healthy so far this spring.

flyer85
03-27-2008, 08:44 PM
I wish calls were coming in rather than going out.really the key to the situation

mth123
03-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Glen Perkins is the Twin property that I'd target. Not sure Philly is a good match.

kheidg-
03-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Ryan Freel and Cash for Jesse Crain?

Enthusiastic NO to Jesse Crain.

I agree with whomever mentioned Glen Perkins. Though, I doubt the Twins would give up Perkins or even Crain for that matter for Freel.

RedlegJake
03-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I'd prefer a legitimate prospect at this point. A High A kid maybe. Especially opposed to getting someone only marginally helpful that clogs the roster even more.

klw
03-27-2008, 09:44 PM
I'd prefer a legitimate prospect at this point. A High A kid maybe. Especially opposed to getting someone only marginally helpful that clogs the roster even more.

This would likely be the way they go as they need to clear 3 or 4 spots on the 40 man for Cueto, Patterson, et al

RedLegSuperStar
03-27-2008, 10:00 PM
This would likely be the way they go as they need to clear 3 or 4 spots on the 40 man for Cueto, Patterson, et al

Patterson and Cueto could be added just by Capellan being offered back or if a trade was worked out. The 40 man roster stands at 39. As for others.. I really can't see anyone making the team other then those two. Perhaps Mercker or Hairston as Dusty really likes both.

Kc61
03-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Hopper hasn't played in a week. I know they are showcasing Freel, but Hopper doesn't seem to get into the games at all. Is he hurt?

Strange things happening in this camp.

Chip R
03-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Hopper hasn't played in a week. I know they are showcasing Freel, but Hopper doesn't seem to get into the games at all. Is he hurt?

Strange things happening in this camp.

C. Trent said he had a family emergency.

Strikes Out Looking
03-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Freel and Stanton to Philly for a PTBNL?

Highlifeman21
03-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Freel and Stanton to Philly for a PTBNL?

Whatever gets Stanton off the roster....

OnBaseMachine
03-28-2008, 03:26 PM
From the sounds of Joe Maddon the Rays manager, the Rays are very close to acquiring a 4th outfielder. He said they should have more information by the end of the day. Could this be Freel he was talking about?

redsrule2500
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
From the sounds of Joe Maddon the Rays manager, the Rays are very close to acquiring a 4th outfielder. He said they should have more information by the end of the day. Could this be Freel he was talking about?

Well, they have certainly gotten a chance to see him in action.

flyer85
03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
and Freel is NOT playing today ... hmm.

OnBaseMachine
03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Nope. They just reported the Rays claimed Nathan Haynes from the Angels.

Jpup
03-28-2008, 04:26 PM
There is no way that the Rays would pay Ryan Freel what the Reds are.

bucksfan2
03-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I really wonder what the value of Freel acutally is. Everyone with the exception of Marty see what Freel brings to the table. To be honest you can sign a guy to a minor league contract (Patterson) who brings more to the table than Freel does. His best qualities as a baseball player are negated by his inability to harness them. At this point the reds are lucky to get anything for Freel similar to LaRue of a few years ago. I give Freel a lot of credit because he turned an average minor league baseball player into a major league roster player with a multi million dollar contract. But IMO that the reds are better off without Freel. Hopper, Patterson, Griffey, Dunn, Bruce, and maybe even Dickerson are players that I would rather see the reds play over Freel.

MrCinatit
03-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Looking at his age and last year, I am pretty sure Freel's best seasons are behind him. And the other teams most likely know this. Frankly, this is not the year to try to trade for him, last year was that year.
I could be wrong, but I simply do not see other teams clamoring over a 32-utility guy with a propensity for injury to himself and possibly others.

RedLegSuperStar
03-28-2008, 05:43 PM
The thing is that Kenny Lofton is still out there as well... Reds may not find a suiter for Freel unless the Reds can pay a huge portion of the remaining contract owed to Freel. With them willing to eat Stanton's contract I could be wrong but I can't see them willing to pay a huge part of Freel's contract.