PDA

View Full Version : Who's still in the competition?

FreelFanatic
03-28-2008, 10:15 AM
After the late cut last night (Andy Green) and the three today (Bill Bray, Jose Capellan, Andy Phillips), who of the 31 healthy players are still battling?

PITCHERS (15 + 1 DL)
40-man (11)
Affeldt, Arroyo, Belisle, Burton, Coffey, Cordero, Fogg, Harang, Stanton, Volquez, Weathers
Non-roster (4)
Brower, Cueto, Lincoln, Mercker
60-day DL (1)
Livingston

CATCHERS (3)
40-man (2)
Ross, Valentin
Non-roster (1)
Bako

INFIELDERS (8 + 1 injured)
40-man (6)
Castro, Encarnacion, Hatteberg, Keppinger, Brandon Phillips, Votto
Non-roster (2)
Cabrera, Hairston
Injured (1)
Gonzalez

OUTFIELDERS (5)
40-man (4)
Dunn, Freel, Griffey, Hopper
Non-roster (1)
Patterson

There's 10 relievers still on the roster, if you're counting Belisle there. Bench players, there's 8 (Bako, Valentin, Cabrera, Castro, Hairston, Hatteberg/Votto, Freel, Hopper). I guess it depends on how many they keep for the pitching staff compared to how many they keep for the bench?

PastAndPending
03-29-2008, 05:15 AM
Cabrera / Hairston = 1 max. Hopefully neither, but Dusty is a dumbass.
Brower / Lincoln = 1. Neither should make the team, both are old and bad. Dusty again being a moron.

There's 2 cuts right there, possibly 3.

Ross / Bako. Bako makes the team if Ross can't go. That's the only way he makes it.

There's 4 gone.

Then Stanton of course makes 5 out.

BLEEDS
03-29-2008, 08:46 AM
They've got a LOT of non-40 men on there. Who they have to move off of that is the first off the issues.

Cueto, Mercker and Patterson have to be added for sure (JMO).

I would guess they're waiting to see what they get for Freel. Ideally a lower minor leaguer, but someone may not want to take on that salary. SO, we might be forced to A) send some $$, or B) take on another guy with a guaranteed contract who we'll have to put on the 40-man.

Neither option is promising.

PEACE

ChatterRed
03-29-2008, 10:03 AM
After the late cut last night (Andy Green) and the three today (Bill Bray, Jose Capellan, Andy Phillips), who of the 31 healthy players are still battling?

There's 10 relievers still on the roster, if you're counting Belisle there. Bench players, there's 8 (Bako, Valentin, Cabrera, Castro, Hairston, Hatteberg/Votto, Freel, Hopper). I guess it depends on how many they keep for the pitching staff compared to how many they keep for the bench?

Here's my 25 man roster:

OF (5):
Griffey
Dunn
Patterson
Hopper
Freel (if not traded)

IF (7):
Hatteburg
Phillips
Encarnacion
Keppinger
Votto
Castro
Hairston

Catchers (2):
Valentin
Bako

Pitchers (11):
Harang
Arroyo
Volquez
Cueto
Fogg
Cordero
Weathers
Mercker
Lincoln
Coffey
Burton

DL:
Gonzalez
Ross
Livingston

Sent to triple A:
Belisle
Affeldt - most likely released.

Notes: Wouldn't surprise me to see Votto sent to Triple A to play everyday and Cabrera kept because Keppinger can alternate with Hatteburg at 1B. If Freel is traded, I'm not sure who they are considering as the 5th OFer.

My roster indicates that Affeldt will be cut. I don't think they will do it, but I think they should. I think he stinks. I think Coffey gets his last shot.....his preseason stats were very good as usual.......can he continue it in the majors? They may send Burton or Coffey to triple A to give Affeldt a shot since they signed him.

It will be interesting to see if they go with the young guys and cut more salary, or if they stick with a couple of guys because of salary.

BLEEDS
03-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Hairston gone as of today.

Affeldt is in the pen.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

AmarilloRed
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Hairston, Brower, Cabrera cut by Reds
Roster now at 28; three more will be released by Opening Day
By Brittany Ghiroli / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- For the second straight day, the Reds made a trio of reassignments. Prior to Saturday's final Spring Training game, Jim Brower, Jolbert Cabrera and Jerry Hairston Jr. were reassigned to Minor League camp. The move puts Cincinnati's healthy roster at 28, with three cuts remaining to be made before Monday's Opening Day.

Two of the cuts are expected to be Stanton and Ross starting on the disabled list; there will be one more pitched most likely to be released.

jnwohio
03-30-2008, 12:06 AM
According to Krivsky Bellisle is not coming north with the club because he is "not ready". MrK was dancing around whether or not Bellisle would be considered "on rehab". If he pitches in a minor league game then he is on rehab. If he stays in the extended spring training he isn't. Either way that sounds to me like he is going to be on the DL.

I think the distinction about rehab is a matter of whether the clock is started to require them to bring him up within 30 days (for pitchers I believe) or extend him a minimum of another full 15 days if he is not recalled from the rehab by the end of 30 days.

They have held him out of the MLB games long enough that they will be able to back date him on the DL to the first day that counts for the MLB DL in the spring (9 days back from the Reds opening day I believe I read last week).

The situation with Ross really took a turn when they started using him in the MLB exhibitions this week. He played on Saturday and then was DLed so basically he is out a minimum of the 1st two weeks of the season. According to reports he was not happy to be sent to the DL.

Meanwhile neither Freel nor Hopper came north with the team although at this point both figure to be on the 25 man roster. The report was that Freel has been out since Wednesday with "the flu" and stayed behind to get AB's on Sunday. Hopper was also left behind to get ABs (despite going 2 for 2 on Saturday) because he just got back from being away due to a death in the family. Both supposedly would be flying to Cincy late Sunday for opening day.

I am thinking that either Freel or Hopper will be traded by opening day with the return quite possibly being a catcher who goes onto the 25 man roster. Looking at the whole situation with Ross being DLed and those other two left behind against the back drop that the Reds were supposedly shopping for catching help all spring, that certainly seems plausible to me. If this happens it will be intersting to see if Ross ever makes it back to the 25 man.

gedred69
03-30-2008, 12:14 AM
"Too much to think about, too much to figure out". (Todd Snider). It's all making my head hurt..