PDA

View Full Version : Da Meat Hook

westofyou
03-28-2008, 10:31 AM
So.. ya think this is a typo?

Young, 34, is not expected to start the year on the disabled list, and indeed Acta said he would play Thursday against Baltimore, the Nationals' final Grapefruit League game. But he arrived in camp weighing 298 pounds, and club officials still want him to lose more weight. He strained his lower back and side in the batting cage late last month, a condition that has limited him to seven exhibition games and 23 at-bats, in which he is hitting .261 with one extra-base hit.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/03/26/PH2008032603357.jpg

RedsManRick
03-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Sounds like somebody needs to start riding his bike to the stadium again.

flyer85
03-28-2008, 10:32 AM
First base options for the Nats are pegleg and meatball.

westofyou
03-28-2008, 10:34 AM
The loser won't be on the bench, instead he's hooked up with this gig.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g295/pablodiablo06/BigBoyketchup2.jpg

Roy Tucker
03-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Shades of Calvin Pickering.

westofyou
03-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Shades of Calvin Pickering.

Just 12 years older

lollipopcurve
03-28-2008, 10:44 AM
sweet, sucrous signing by Bowden

Team Clark
03-28-2008, 12:56 PM
He has had significant trouble getting his diabetes under control. Until he can find the right solution his weight can and will flux big time.

buckeyenut
03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
He has had significant trouble getting his diabetes under control. Until he can find the right solution his weight can and will flux big time.
And you guys should now feel just a little bit guilty for the bashing. :)

RedFanAlways1966
03-28-2008, 01:26 PM

I am not a doctor (nor stayed in a Holiday Inn Express), but I have had the disease since age 7. Having diabetes is a lot about control and eating the proper foods. Diabetics will not gain weight if they follow a strict diet. They will also be healthy and live a longer life. My guess is (and it is a guess) Dmitri is not adhering to the regiment given by his doctors. We can blame it on diabetes, but it is a disease that can be controlled with self-discipline. If you have heard he cannot get his diabetes under control, TC, it might be because the diabetic is not doing the right things. Uncontrolled diabetes in usually due to the diabetic.

Team Clark
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I am not a doctor (nor stayed in a Holiday Inn Express), but I have had the disease since age 7. Having diabetes is a lot about control and eating the proper foods. Diabetics will not gain weight if they follow a strict diet. They will also be healthy and live a longer life. My guess is (and it is a guess) Dmitri is not adhering to the regiment given by his doctors. We can blame it on diabetes, but it is a disease that can be controlled with self-discipline. If you have heard he cannot get his diabetes under control, TC, it might be because the diabetic is not doing the right things. Uncontrolled diabetes in usually due to the diabetic.

From everything I have heard and read I agree 100%. Just going by the article that was posted earlier this spring discussing the competition between Young and Johnson. The article mentioned Young was battling Diabetes and that it was a contributing factor to his weight.

Spitball
03-28-2008, 08:29 PM
The article mentioned Young was battling Diabetes and that it was a contributing factor to his weight.

This is from The U.S. News and World Report in an article on Type 2 Diabetes:

High blood glucose may cause people to feel hungry and eat more, because not all the food taken in can be properly processed to nourish the cells. Frequently, eating patterns continue after insulin has been started and allows more-efficient use of nutrients.

Some people cut back on their insulin once they discover they can lose a few pounds quickly by doing so. But when they go back to using the right amount of insulin, they discover that they gain the weight back--and perhaps more--in equally rapid fashion. Manipulating insulin to lose weight is an unhealthy habit to get into. Letting your blood glucose run high can lead to long-term complications. Better to make careful adjustments in how much you eat.

...from AnneCollins.com

Diabetes & Weight Gain - Causes
There are many reasons why people gain weight when they begin insulin therapy. One theory is that one's metabolism slows down when blood sugars come under control. The additional weight can increase your cells' resistance to insulin and may therefore increase your need for medication, creating a vicious circle of increased weight and insulin resistance.

Perhaps this is Young's situation.

cincinnati chili
03-28-2008, 11:09 PM
The other thing too is that Young has a history of substance abuse. From my wife's job, she's informed me that addicts often transfer addictions when they solve one. While none of us WANT to be overweight, I think few of us would argue that it's better for a recovering alcoholic to have a cheeseburger than a Guinness.

I'm cheering for Nick Johnson to have a huge year, and that's not out of spite to the meat hook. The guy has made plenty of money, he'll have a nice pension, etc. But Johnson is a guy who is more valuable when healthy.

RedFanAlways1966
03-29-2008, 03:07 PM
High blood glucose may cause people to feel hungry and eat more, because not all the food taken in can be properly processed to nourish the cells.

This is true. The higher the blood sugar level, the hungrier you become (as strange as it might seem). This is why it is important for a diabetic to do certain things:

(1) Test your blood sugar level. Prick your finger, draw blood and use your glucometer.
(2) If blood sugar is high, DO NOT eat. You feel hungry, but you have to use self-control and not do it.
(3) Take the appropriate dosage of insulin to bring the blood sugar level to an acceptable level.

It is all about doing the right thing. Discipline and control necessary. It will also going a long way in extending your lifespan.

cincinnati chili
03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey Dmitri. What's in the briefcase?

http://misterirrelevant.com/index.php/2008/03/30/its-business-time-for-meat-hook-nats/#more-1535
http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/young3.jpg
http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/young2.jpg
http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/young1.jpg

Highlifeman21
03-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey Dmitri. What's in the briefcase?

http://misterirrelevant.com/index.php/2008/03/30/its-business-time-for-meat-hook-nats/#more-1535

The lineup card for the 1st game ever at the new Nats stadium.

With DY not on that lineup card, no less.

BoydsOfSummer
03-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Sugar free snacks?

Caveat Emperor
03-31-2008, 12:50 AM
The Reds payout for the grievance settlement?

RBA
03-31-2008, 12:54 AM
Hair tonics and shampoo?