PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

redsfan30
03-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Per the Enquirer:

Reds to cut Stanton
BY JOHN ERARDI | JERARDI@ENQUIRER.COM
E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us! | Click-2-Listen

Reds manager Dusty Baker said this morning that the team has told reliever Mike Stanton that they are going let him go.

The move means the Reds will eat $3 million of Stanton's contract this season, and $500,000 next season.

Last season Stanton was 1-3 with a 5.93 ERA. He signed a two-year deal starting with the 2007 season, which included a one-year option for 2009.

Baker and Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky did not get into specifics, but Krivsky confirmed the news.

"We talked to Mike this morning," Krivsky said. "It was a very tough conversation."

Krivsky did not want to comment beyond that about the Stanton because the team has not officially made the announcement.

"Whatever Dusty told you is good enough for me. But nothing official has happened we don't have to do those kinds of things until Monday."

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:17 PM
I guess they plan to only have two lefties in the pen.

lollipopcurve
03-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Could we see Lincoln make the team as a multi-inning guy?

flyer85
03-28-2008, 01:19 PM
if I was being let go $3M and change would sure soothe the wound.

WMR
03-28-2008, 01:19 PM
It can't have been too tough, he's getting 3.5 million bucks for doing nothing.

RFS62
03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Outstanding!!!!

Great move, Krivdawg. Everybody makes mistakes. It's what you do to correct your mistakes that shows what kind of person you are.

Very strong.

WMR
If it was "tough" for anyone, it should be Krivsky who handed out the ridiculous contract in the first place.

Kc61
Two things are possible.

1-- Lincoln, Brower, or Belisle (if deemed ready) for long man.

2-- Somebody new is entering the picture, likely from the outside.

So I guess the Reds didn't think Bray was ready because they did have room for him.

flyer85
I guess they plan to only have two lefties in the pen.it kind of makes it hard to come up with 7 relievers.

Cordero, Burton, Weathers, Coffey, Affeldt, Mercker and ???

Maybe Hot Rod Lincoln? He hasn't pitched anywhere since 2004 but he did come up as a Twin.

edabbs44
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Mike Stanton will be on this team. However, his jersey will say "Mercker".

No difference at all.

Sorry if I am overreacting.

KoryMac5
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
If it was "tough" for anyone, it should be Krivsky who handed out the ridiculous contract in the first place.

I don't think it is ever easy for a GM to have to tell an owner that he made a 4 million dollar mistake. I am sure Dusty had a lot to due with this as he started laying the ground work for this move not that long ago when he stated that $$$ should not be an issue in keeping guys.

flyer85
03-28-2008, 01:26 PM

No difference at all.

Sorry if I am overreacting.better one than two(like last year when a jersey had "Comier" on the back).

edabbs44
03-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't think it is ever easy for a GM to have to tell an owner that he made a 4 million dollar mistake. I am sure Dusty had a lot to due with this as he started laying the ground work for this move not that long ago when he stated that $$$ should not be an issue in keeping guys.

Actually it was closer to a $7MM mistake. But who's counting? ;)

edabbs44
03-28-2008, 01:27 PM
better one than two(like last year when a jersey had "Comier" on the back).

Better zero than one.

*BaseClogger*
03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Edwin Jackson for long relief???

westofyou
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
if I was being let go $3M and change would sure soothe the wound.

Why should it, RZ is a salt in the wound conversation hub, where assumptions, hyperbole and exaggeration dance hand in hand with gloom, despair and contempt.

And the games haven't even started yet. LOL

OnBaseMachine
03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Awesome. This makes the Bray move more puzzling though.

Great job by Wayne on this move.

cumberlandreds
03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
OK,that's a good start. One down, two to go. Mercker and Brower come on down.

paulrichjr
03-28-2008, 01:33 PM
This team is trying to win in 2008. Everyone keeps saying "If they would only do..." then they would prove to me they are trying to win. Well Stanton is gone, a closer is here, 2 young and very good pitchers are in the rotation not named Harang or Arroyo, and a name manager is at the helm. I don't agree with all of the moves but man this team seems to be heading in the right direction very quickly. I long for the days of discussing Carl, John Allen, JimBo, Danny Graves as a starter, etc. Give Cast and Krivs credit - they are doing the things to win.

Spring~Fields
03-28-2008, 01:33 PM
They couldn't even get a PTBNL for him, now that is bad, why was he even on the team to begin with.

flyer85
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Better zero than one.baby steps

Kc61
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
This team is trying to win in 2008. Everyone keeps saying "If they would only do..." then they would prove to me they are trying to win. Well Stanton is gone, a closer is here, 2 young and very good pitchers are in the rotation not named Harang or Arroyo, and a name manager is at the helm. I don't agree with all of the moves but man this team seems to be heading in the right direction very quickly. I long for the days of discussing Carl, John Allen, JimBo, Danny Graves as a starter, etc. Give Cast and Krivs credit - they are doing the things to win.

Maybe Freel and/or Hatteberg are being offered for another reliever. That would show me something. If the Reds weren't satisfied with Bray right now, let them add another plus guy for the bullpen from the outside.

paulrichjr
03-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Maybe Freel and/or Hatteberg are being offered for another reliever. That would show me something. If the Reds weren't satisfied with Bray right now, let them add another plus guy for the bullpen from the outside.

Then what would it be? I haven't seen this team try this hard to right the ship in decades. Give them time...we are getting really close to having at least one series of baseball in October.

RedsManRick
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I hope Krivksy learned his lesson. If you don't want to have this conversation in the future, don't give multi-year contracts to guys who are likely to be washed up before it's over.

reds44
03-28-2008, 01:40 PM
So I assume that Hal report of the Reds nixing the trade to Philly is false.

rotnoid
03-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Sounds like they found Wes Helms was the best they were going to do and decided to just eat the money rather than bring him on board. Curious? Yes. Refreshing? Absolutely. Of course, now that he's cut, look for the Phils or someone else to give him a shot on the cheap.

Chip R
03-28-2008, 01:42 PM
I really thought this was a joke and the post would say ...north with the Reds.

Great news but either that rumor of Stanton for Helms was bogus or the Reds must hate Helms.

Kc61
Then what would it be? I haven't seen this team try this hard to right the ship in decades. Give them time...we are getting really close to having at least one series of baseball in October.

I'm not dissatisfied at all. They are trying. Just want to see the team have enough middle relievers who can work multi-innings and let the new closer get a chance to close.

flyer85
So I assume that Hal report of the Reds nixing the trade to Philly is false.not necessarily, they may have wanted no part of Helms and his salary. They can still try and trade Stanton while agreeing to eat a chunk of salary.

Falls City Beer
03-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Good.

But I was really hoping to pitch to the Reds' FO the idea of renaming the bullpen the "Crypt," from which each pitcher would emerge in a dry-ice fog to Vincent Price's "rap" from "Thriller."

Now that the crypt-keeper's gone, though....

princeton
03-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I hope Krivksy learned his lesson. If you don't want to have this conversation in the future, don't give multi-year contracts to guys who are likely to be washed up before it's over.

soft-tossing righties like Weathers and Arroyo are generally bigger risks than lefties.

so just make sure that things work out really well, Wayne. That is all we ask.

if not, we'll get all self-righteous on you

MrCinatit
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Oh darn, there goes the much anticipated Helms for Stanton trade

/end sarcasm.

RFS62
03-28-2008, 01:50 PM

That doesn't seem like that much to ask, does it?

Does it, Wayne?

Falls City Beer
03-28-2008, 01:51 PM

:rolleyes:

Dullsville.

Team Clark
03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Outstanding!!!!

Great move, Krivdawg. Everybody makes mistakes. It's what you do to correct your mistakes that shows what kind of person you are.

Very strong.

Great post! Awesome decision. I am now getting a little excited about Opening Day.

princeton
03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
:rolleyes:

Dullsville.

did you have to store the "Wayne's just in CYA mode" posts for a while?

Jpup
03-28-2008, 01:59 PM
So I assume that Hal report of the Reds nixing the trade to Philly is false.

imagine that.

edabbs44
03-28-2008, 02:01 PM
They couldn't even get a PTBNL for him, now that is bad, why was he even on the team to begin with.

Because last year, Wayne thought that the CBA called for minimum 2 year contracts.

DiamondRat
03-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Does anyone think that possibly Jockerty stepped up to make this decision?

Big Klu
03-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Players still in camp:

Pitchers (14)
25 David Weathers
31 Matt Belisle
33 Josh Fogg
36 Edinson Volquez
39 Aaron Harang
41 Jeremy Affeldt
48 Francisco Cordero
50 Kent Mercker
51 Jared Burton
52 Jim Brower
56 Todd Coffey
61 Bronson Arroyo
77 Johnny Cueto
84 Mike Lincoln

Catchers (3)
9 Paul Bako
17 Javier Valentin
26 David Ross

Infielders (9)
2 Alex Gonzalez
4 Brandon Phillips
7 Juan Castro
15 Jerry Hairston, Jr.
19 Joey Votto
21 Scott Hatteberg
27 Jeff Keppinger
28 Edwin Encarnacion
54 Jolbert Cabrera

Outfielders (5)
3 Ken Griffey, Jr.
6 Ryan Freel
23 Corey Patterson
30 Norris Hopper
44 Adam Dunn

membengal
03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Good for the Reds. It really feels like a new day.

sonny
03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
A roster with Stanton AND Frenchie AND Milton not on it. Am I dreaming? or could this be the start of something magical?

Vada Pinson Fan
03-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Awesome....
Great job by Wayne on this move.

This has been a long time coming and now it finally has happened! So long Mike. Enjoy the 3.5mil. I know you will.

Don't know that I say it was a "great job by Wayne" because I think this move was made by Bob Castellini with input from Walt, Dusty and Wayne. Wayne wasted a whole lot of his boss's money on Stanton. Can't see congratulating a guy for making such costly blunders in the first place.

A very good sign to see the Reds cut-bait with a player who contributed little to nothing. I say- Great job Bob! You keep saying publicly that you're trying to improve the Reds and it shows!!! Great move when it becomes official.

redsrule2500
03-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Players still in camp:

Pitchers (14)
25 David Weathers
31 Matt Belisle
33 Josh Fogg
36 Edinson Volquez
39 Aaron Harang
41 Jeremy Affeldt
48 Francisco Cordero
50 Kent Mercker
51 Jared Burton
52 Jim Brower
56 Todd Coffey
61 Bronson Arroyo
77 Johnny Cueto
84 Mike Lincoln

Catchers (3)
9 Paul Bako
17 Javier Valentin
26 David Ross

Infielders (9)
2 Alex Gonzalez
4 Brandon Phillips
7 Juan Castro
15 Jerry Hairston, Jr.
19 Joey Votto
21 Scott Hatteberg
27 Jeff Keppinger
28 Edwin Encarnacion
54 Jolbert Cabrera

Outfielders (5)
3 Ken Griffey, Jr.
6 Ryan Freel
23 Corey Patterson
30 Norris Hopper
44 Adam Dunn

Please let 3 infielders, 1 catcher, and 2 pitchers go :beerme:

edabbs44
03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
A roster with Stanton AND Frenchie AND Milton not on it. Am I dreaming? or could this be the start of something magical?

The 2008 Reds...starring:

Mike Lincoln as Rheal Cormier

Kent Mercker as Mike Stanton

Jim Brower as Eric Milton

and

Juan Castro as himself

hippie07
03-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Mike Lincoln looked really good Monday on FSN. He threw 96 every pitch I believe. I mean, he's got problems for sure, but it's probably hard for Dusty to let a guy go throwing that kinda heat and he can be relied on to "throw strikes" no matter how hittable they can be... I don't know .. I gotta think Hot Rod is on the club barring a possible trade.

membengal
03-28-2008, 02:24 PM
For the love of pete, edabbs, not everything is the bottom of an outhouse.

Just sayin'.

sonny
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
For the love of pete, edabbs, not everything is the bottom of an outhouse.

Just sayin'.

He's the resident pessimist.

Or he could be quite right.:alien:

redsrule2500
03-28-2008, 02:31 PM

and

Juan Castro as himself

How in the world is Brower like Milton????

WMR
03-28-2008, 02:32 PM

and

Juan Castro as himself

How dare you make me spit water everywhere.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2008, 02:37 PM
If anyone complains about this, I will find you and smack you in the face.

Cyclone792
I'll definitely be drinking beer and celebrating tonight now!

What a beautiful move!

flyer85
Marty and Jeff discussing the last bullpen spot is between Lincoln and Brower.

OnBaseMachine
03-28-2008, 02:40 PM

Jim Brower. He of the career 4.67 ERA and 9.82 spring ERA? You have got to be kidding me.

BRM
03-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Now there's a tough decision.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Now there's a tough decision.

Yeah. Neither.

Falls City Beer
03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
did you have to store the "Wayne's just in CYA mode" posts for a while?

I don't even know what this means. Suggesting that signing Stanton was even a defensible move at the time is just intellectual dishonesty.

Reds Fanatic
03-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Very good move a long time overdue.

I wonder if this means they are working out a Freel trade for another reliever.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2008, 02:46 PM
They owe Stanton $3.5 million (including the buyout) to go away...they owe Jerry Narron $900,000 to stay away....they possibly still owe Rheal Cormier some money to stay retired.

I'm sure Bob's LOVIN' life right now.... :)

Roy Tucker
03-28-2008, 02:46 PM
So I guess Bray getting sent down wasn't coupled with keeping Stanton.

westofyou
03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
So I guess Bray getting sent down wasn't coupled with keeping Stanton.

Not until Wayne got the Redszone printouts delivered to him with his morning cruller.

remdog
03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I'll give Krivsky credit for biting the bullet.....

Rem

Vada Pinson Fan
03-28-2008, 02:53 PM

and

Juan Castro as himself

When does the above sit com get cancelled? Never has been much to watch....

redsfan4445
03-28-2008, 02:55 PM
i still think another move is coming outside the organization involving Freel

Roy Tucker
03-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Not until Wayne got the Redszone printouts delivered to him with his morning cruller.

If he gets a daily RZ printout, that's a lot of trees.

Is Wayne an expresso or latte man?

HotCorner
03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Does anyone think that possibly Jockerty stepped up to make this decision?

http://www.sacdhhs.com/images/article/cps_cs_child_with_hands_over_face_opt.jpg

princeton
03-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Suggesting that signing Stanton was even a defensible move at the time is just intellectual dishonesty.

safer not to target needs with borderlines, it's true. He's Risky Krivsky.

I don't even know what this means.

never been able to play dumb myself.

RedsManRick
03-28-2008, 02:58 PM
soft-tossing righties like Weathers and Arroyo are generally bigger risks than lefties.

Stanton being washed up in 2008 has a lot more do with being an out-of-shape 40 year old whose 2006 numbers looked decent largely because he pitched in a very pitcher friendly home park.

He wasn't a very effective reliever in the years prior to being signed. He was old. And he wasn't in great physical condition.

This has nothing to do with an unrealistic RedsZone standard and everything to do with common sense. The only virtue of being lefthanded (and the reason they stick around so long) is that lefties have a tendency to have greater success versus left handed hitting. Thus a mediocre lefty still might be a better option than a mediocre righty.

Unfortunately, that simply isn't Stanton's game and it never has been. It was another misguided, desperate attempt by Krivsky to stabilize the bullpen. Trying to solve the bullpen problem is fine. If Krivsky's general idea was to dip in to the FA pool to get a moderately effective reliever at a moderate cost to bridge the gap until the young arms were ready, that's a fine idea. However, the execution was piss poor and I don't see how you can argue that. There was never a reasonable expectation that Stanton would be anything but what he ended up being. It was a bad idea from the very start and we're seeing the consequence now.

If your arm is cut off, it's fairly imperative that you stop the bleeding. Nobody would argue that. It does not mean it makes sense to spend 5 bucks on a bandaid when it clearly won't fix the problem and is just a waste of money. It was a CYA move from a GM with a dictate from above to win now, resulting in spending 7M for a season of sub-replacement relief pitching.

Spring~Fields
03-28-2008, 02:59 PM

and

Juan Castro as himself

Sure is a long running hit play, about seven straight years now or is it eight. :)

flyer85
03-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Stanton being washed up in 2008 has a lot more do with being an out-of-shape 40 year old whose 2006 numbers looked decent largely because he pitched in a very pitcher friendly home park.and he had an EXTREMELY low number of HRs(2 IIRC) which was unlikely to be repeated. It's the same mirage that fooled the Reds into thinking Rick White had value.

KronoRed
03-28-2008, 03:02 PM

No difference at all.

Sorry if I am overreacting.

He'll be cheaper and thus easier to dump when he inevitably implodes.

Good move by the Reds here.

Team Clark
03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
He'll be cheaper and thus easier to dump when he inevitably implodes.

Good move by the Reds here.

Don't forget... Mercker is A LOT funnier than Stanton. That has to count. BTW, I am all for giving Mercker an opportunity here.

redsmetz
03-28-2008, 03:06 PM
If he gets a daily RZ printout, that's a lot of trees.

Is Wayne an expresso or latte man?

I'm guessing he's an average cuppa joe guy - he looks like Fred Flintston, for heaven's sake.

RedsManRick
03-28-2008, 03:06 PM
and he had an EXTREMELY low number of HRs(2 IIRC) which was unlikely to be repeated. It's the same mirage that fooled the Reds into thinking Rick White had value.

Yup. Rheal Cormier as well. Maybe Stanton was signed based on a scouting decision that said he would still be effective for a few years. But this smacks of the same ERA based logic that justified the acquisition of guys like White and Cormier. The implosion was predictable based on a reasonable analysis and yet seems to have blindsided Krivksy. WK certainly has his strengths, but he's a got a serious blind spot when it comes to evaluating relievers.

gm
03-28-2008, 03:08 PM
And to think...all of the hand-wringing re: Stanton was for...nothing

(feel free to resume hand-wringing on a new subject)

Falls City Beer
03-28-2008, 03:10 PM
never been able to play dumb myself.

My faux-naif schtick extends to any remarks worth far less in the figuring out than is humanly warranted.

Falls City Beer
03-28-2008, 03:11 PM

I've been almost without hand-wringing this spring--but I detest the pride of GMs. (Not gm).

Big Klu
03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Please let 3 infielders, 1 catcher, and 2 pitchers go :beerme:

One infielder is virtually guaranteed, as I am still listing Alex Gonzalez until he officially goes on the disabled list.

gm
03-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I've been almost without hand-wringing this spring--but I detest the pride of GMs. (Not gm).

They've gotta do what they've gotta do. Without the safety net that armchair GMs like us pretend we don't need ;)

Kriv is the anti-JimBo (non-disclosure vs. diarrhea mouth) Gotta give Bodes props for his bullpen assembly, though. From the late '80's through the late '90's we Red's fans were pretty spoiled with a lead after 6 innings

corkedbat
03-28-2008, 03:29 PM

If either is still in the pen come June 1 instead of Roenicke I'll take back anything good anybody has ever said about Krivsky (its a shame they're there and he isn't as it is).

Tom Servo
03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Too much discussion, not enough celebration! :beerme:

redsmetz
03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
If either is still in the pen come June 1 instead of Roenicke I'll take back anything good anybody has ever said about Krivsky (its a shame they're there and he isn't as it is).

Several people have said this throughout these threads about the roster, but it bears saying again. It's a long season; many things happen and a multitude of pitchers are needed in a season. As for Roenicke, he's played 19 games at AA and none at AAA. He's got good stuff, but he can use some additional seasoning. He may well be up by mid-year, he may not be. I'm liking Krivsky's method of step by step through the minors - another anti-Bowden way; who never hesitated to jump guys from AA to the ML level.

Everything in good time.

fearofpopvol1
03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Great decision. And I believe Mercker will be more effective than Stanton, even if he's not a great option. Sending Bray down though is very puzzling. I agree with others that another move must be coming.

What I'm wondering though is does this mean that the Reds will eat Castro's salary once Gonzo comes off the DL?

WebScorpion
03-28-2008, 04:10 PM
They owe Stanton $3.5 million (including the buyout) to go away...they owe Jerry Narron $900,000 to stay away....they possibly still owe Rheal Cormier some money to stay retired.

I'm sure Bob's LOVIN' life right now.... :)

If they start winning, he certainly will be. :p: And so will WE!! :thumbup:

wheels
03-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Is Redszone eating itself?

This should be good news, so why do I feel I should be ashamed of my feelings about it?

Why do we hate ourselves all of the sudden?

membengal
03-28-2008, 04:38 PM
I still like myself. I'm good with this.

Strikes Out Looking
03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
I believe the reason it is between Brower and Lincoln rather than Bray is that the Reds want Bray to pitch regularly in tough situations and Brower/Lincoln will be the mop up guy. If everything goes rigth, at some point in the next few weeks, Bray will be back and one of those two will go (or someone else will go on the dl).

wheels
03-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Is Jim Brower this year's Mike Stanton (less three million or so)?

M2
03-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Here's a case of Dusty paying some dividends. A less experienced manager likely would have been reluctant to chuck a well-traveled vet.

I figure the bullpen works out like this:

Cordero
Weathers
Burton
Coffey
Belisle
Affeldt
Mercker

That assumes Belisle isn't on the DL.

Unassisted
03-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Too much discussion, not enough celebration! :beerme:I was too busy celebrating to post. :cool:

lollipopcurve
03-28-2008, 04:49 PM
That assumes Belisle isn't on the DL.

He will be, I think. I'm hoping Lincoln makes it. I want to see that 95/96 gas.

jojo
03-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Stanton may not hook on with someone else so his career might be over.

18 yrs in the bigs....

Congrats Mike.

:clap:

Falls City Beer
03-28-2008, 04:50 PM
He will be, I think. I'm hoping Lincoln makes it. I want to see that 95/96 gas.

Does Lincoln look any good though? I haven't seen him.

lollipopcurve
03-28-2008, 04:55 PM
I haven't seen him either. He threw 2 scoreless the other day and the quotes from Dusty have suggested he looks good. I remember seeing him with the Pirates a few years ago, but I think this is the pimped-out, post TJ version of that Mike Lincoln.

fearofpopvol1
03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Lincoln's control is a big issue?

Doc. Scott
03-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Now, you realize that Stanton will sign with the Cardinals and post a 3.5 ERA in 2008, right?

BRM
03-28-2008, 05:10 PM
When was the last time Belisle pitched? How likely is he to start the year on the DL?

GAC
03-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Mike Stanton was on the Reds???

LoganBuck
03-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Now, you realize that Stanton will sign with the Cardinals and post a 3.5 ERA in 2008, right?

Yep

I haven't seen him either. He threw 2 scoreless the other day and the quotes from Dusty have suggested he looks good. I remember seeing him with the Pirates a few years ago, but I think this is the pimped-out, post TJ version of that Mike Lincoln.

Think Standridge, good gas, questionable control, no quality auxiliary pitches.

chicoruiz
03-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I'd assume that Lincoln, if he makes the club, has until Belisle gets back to 100% to prove himself.

And to a lesser extent, Mercker will either pitch well or be replaced by a rejuvenated Bray.

Actually, it kind of makes sense...

Red in Chicago
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Mike Stanton was on the Reds???

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Joseph
03-28-2008, 05:34 PM

Mercker looked good early in spring training.

So did Majewski.

Dustys MO is to praise guys. I like Dusty, don't get me wrong, but his first instinct is to praise them. So you have to take things with a grain of salt sometimes.

lollipopcurve
03-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Dustys MO is to praise guys. I like Dusty, don't get me wrong, but his first instinct is to praise them. So you have to take things with a grain of salt sometimes.

No doubt.

Still, 95-96 is 95-96. LoganBuck's Standridge comp sounds very feasible to me -- still I'd like to see him throw.

Raisor
03-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I think this is great. I rarely have anything good to say about Wayne or Dusty....

RedlegJake
03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
This is Dusty's work. He hinted at it the other day and I supect he's been pushing to just get it done with. When AGon comes back I supect Castro is done, too. And if Merck, or Brower/Lincoln, or Fogg or whatever vet, doesn't get it done, I suspect they'll be gone, too. Dusty will go with the vet over the youngster to start off maybe, but I think the vet better produce pdq once the season starts or a kid is going to be playing instead.

Tom Servo
03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but atleast we save ourselves a few weeks/months of a 6.00 ERA.

WMR
03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I must admit, I love having a manager who is unafraid to say that the emperor has no clothes when that is indeed the case. Kudos Dusty.

red-in-la
03-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I must admit, I love having a manager who is unafraid to say that the emperor has no clothes when that is indeed the case. Kudos Dusty.

Corey Patterson :confused:

MartyFan
03-28-2008, 07:16 PM

When will the Reds sign Dunn to a LTC!?!?!?!?
When will Bruce be called up?????
What will be done with Hatte?
Why is Votto DHing today????

Take your pick.

:beerme:

gm
03-28-2008, 07:26 PM
When will the Reds sign Dunn to a LTC!?!?!?!?
When will Bruce be called up?????
What will be done with Hatte?
Why is Votto DHing today????

Take your pick.

:beerme:

Welcome back my friends to the whine that never ends ;)

cincrazy
03-28-2008, 07:56 PM
imagine that.

Why would Stanton being DFA'ed mean that Hal's report of the Reds nixing the Helms trade is false? Helms is nearly worthless, I'd have a hard time imagining why the Reds WOULDN'T nix that trade.

blumj
03-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Why would Stanton being DFA'ed mean that Hal's report of the Reds nixing the Helms trade is false? Helms is nearly worthless, I'd have a hard time imagining why the Reds WOULDN'T nix that trade.
Because Helms is owed a little less money than Stanton. But the trade offer might have been contingent on evening up the money, so there'd be no point.

PuffyPig
03-28-2008, 10:11 PM

Well,his FIP ERA last eyar was 4.36. So with someluck,he could post a 3.50 ERA with another team.

I'm willing to risk that.

WVRedsFan
03-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow. If we had all the money that Wayne gave to Stanton and others before letting them go (all multi-year), we could have probably afforded some real pitching, :)

Carry on.

Falls City Beer
03-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Well,his FIP ERA last eyar was 4.36. So with someluck,he could post a 3.50 ERA with another team.

I'm willing to risk that.

A year older and one more year removed from the juice, yeah, I'm willing to risk that too.

Kc61
03-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Decision to let Stanton go is odd in a way. (Not disagreeing with it, just think it's odd.)

It's odd because, as of now, there's no obvious replacement. Somebody like Lincoln or Brower will probably take the spot out of spring training.

Reds ate $3.5 million to replace Stanton with Lincoln, or with Brower? Dusty must really like Lincoln and Brower for Reds to make such a move. Or maybe somebody else will come out of the blue to fill this bullpen spot.

Just seems like there must be more to the story.

GAC
03-29-2008, 05:40 AM
It's odd because, as of now, there's no obvious replacement.

Please forgive me. I'm not trying to be smug. I just read that and had to laugh because we're talking MIKE STANTON. :D

Reds ate $3.5 million to replace Stanton with Lincoln, or with Brower? Dusty must really like Lincoln and Brower for Reds to make such a move. Or maybe somebody else will come out of the blue to fill this bullpen spot.

I think the last time we saw the names Lincoln and Stanton mentioned in the same conversation it was these two...

http://www.berwickacademy.org/lincoln/lincoln_seated.jpghttp://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USASstanton.jpg

Ron Madden
03-29-2008, 06:22 AM
I have nothing against Mike Stanton "the person". I hated the fact that he signed a multi year contract to pitch for the Reds. I hated like hell to even hear Mike Stanton was up in the bullpen.

I said Stanton was done the day he was signed. I wish him well, but I'm glad he's gone.

mth123
03-29-2008, 06:56 AM
I have nothing against Mike Stanton "the person". I hated the fact that he signed a multi year contract to pitch for the Reds. I hated like hell to even hear Mike Stanton was up in the bullpen.

I said Stanton was done the day he was signed. I wish him well, but I'm glad he's gone.

How I feel as well. I don't feel sorry for him though. He roided up per the Mitchell report and maybe that is why his late career didn't experience the fall-off that we usually see from these types. He was able to parlay that and some good fortune from pitching in pitcher's parks into a nice payday from the Reds. He's going away with some fabulous parting gifts to the tune of $3.5 Million. I hope it doesn't prevent the Reds from making the deadline acquisition that could be necessary should the team be in position.

All I do know is that the bullpen has improved dramatically with Stanton's departure. I also view the optioning of Bill Bray as a positive move. Mr. Bray has been mediocre at best during his good streaks and downright horrible the rest of the time since he was acquired. He's one of the culprits in the creation of the abominations that we've seen in the pen the last couple of years IMO and he needs to earn his way back. A couple of weeks of scoreless spring outings against a bunch of late game minor leaguers isn't enough to say he's turned a corner IMO. Let him put up some zeros at AAA for a month or two. This pen needs a change. If Mike Lincoln is throwing gas at 95, I say bring him on. The team hasn't had enough heat down there and I suspect that some one will need to be able to fill the voild should the clock strike 12 on Jared Burton. A hard thrower is worth the look IMO.

WVRedsFan
03-29-2008, 07:21 AM
How I feel as well. I don't feel sorry for him though. He roided up per the Mitchell report and maybe that is why his late career didn't experience the fall-off that we usually see from these types. He was able to parlay that and some good fortune from pitching in pitcher's parks into a nice payday from the Reds. He's going away with some fabulous parting gifts to the tune of $3.5 Million. I hope it doesn't prevent the Reds from making the deadline acquisition that could be necessary should the team be in position.

All I do know is that the bullpen has improved dramatically with Stanton's departure. I also view the optioning of Bill Bray as a positive move. Mr. Bray has been mediocre at best during his good streaks and downright horrible the rest of the time since he was acquired. He's one of the culprits in the creation of the abominations that we've seen in the pen the last couple of years IMO and he needs to earn his way back. A couple of weeks of scoreless spring outings against a bunch of late game minor leaguers isn't enough to say he's turned a corner IMO. Let him put up some zeros at AAA for a month or two. This pen needs a change. If Mike Lincoln is throwing gas at 95, I say bring him on. The team hasn't had enough heat down there and I suspect that some one will need to be able to fill the voild should the clock strike 12 on Jared Burton. A hard thrower is worth the look IMO.This I completely agree with.

Mike Stanton was only one of the horrible misakes made with this pitching staff. For those who excused his acquisition along with Cromier, Mays, and others for a bunch of money, the fact remains that the Reds keep running in these guys with multi-year contracts (with the exception of Mays) and cut them loose with a big bill to pay. That's very poor management. It makes me wonder if our new closer is going to be anotherr mistake. Will he be another very expensive mistake? For those that say it's only money, I remind them of the late Sen. Everette Dirckson who once said, "a million here and a million there--pretty soon you're talking about real money." And so it is.

I'm glad Stanton will supposedly be gone on Monday, but one cannot excuse the fact that he was offered something like $7 million for his brief stay here and the club has received absolutely nothing in return for that money. I find that simply horrible.

traderumor
03-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Once again, the "I told you so crowd" pops their little heads up to tell us how they knew Stanton was done. At the time he was signed, one general feeling was that he was serviceable for SF in 2006 and might have something left in the tank and that the money wasn't huge. I imagine this crowd is a group of highly profitable entreprenuers with the Midas touch that have never had a bad business transaction in their life and just don't get how people can be so stupid to throw around this kind of money--that amounts to about 4% of, say, an approx. $150M payroll the Reds are paying out over the last two years.

But thanks for reminding me how smart you were on this prediction...don't forget to include the ones you are wrong about, though!

GAC
03-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Last year, all I heard were screams that they wish the Reds would dump this guy, do anything to get him off this team, including eating the remainder of that contract.

Ok. They have now done that. Now some are upset over the money we are still going to have to pay out to the guy? Get over it. There is nothing we can do about that. I'd rather eat a bad contract and lick my wounds, rather then still be paying the guy to be on my team, taking a roster spot, and killing us whenever he takes the mound.

Lets quit beating to death the fact we have to pay this guy the remainder of his contract.

Celebrate the fact he is gone.

http://www.forumsextreme.com/imgs1/sFun_abduct2.gif

cincy09
03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Last year, all I heard were screams that they wish the Reds would dump this guy, do anything to get him off this team, including eating the remainder of that contract.

Ok. They have now done that. Now some are upset over the money we are still going to have to pay out to the guy? Get over it. There is nothing we can do about that. I'd rather eat a bad contract and lick my wounds, rather then still be paying the guy to be on my team, taking a roster spot, and killing us whenever he takes the mound.

Lets quit beating to death the fact we have to pay this guy the remainder of his contract.

Amen to that!

edabbs44
03-29-2008, 09:58 AM
No one should care that they have to eat his contract except Bob. No one.

In a vacuum, this move made the team better from the moment they spit out the words to Stanton. The only problem is that they are replacing him with someone who might be just as bad.

I can't figure out what the difference is between Mercker and Stanton. If the Reds were actually replacing Stanton with something of worth, then this move would look a whole lot better.

WVRedsFan
03-29-2008, 10:00 AM

Celebrate we should. I was one that thought he might do well also, but it was a risk in hindsight. I mentioned the money only because it seems it (the multi-year contract, which makes it even harder to get rid of) happens so often with this regime. Oh, heck. It's not my money. But if I remember correctly, Stanton had little if any support on these pages. So why the moaning and gnashing of teeth?

deltachi8
03-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Why should it, RZ is a salt in the wound conversation hub, where assumptions, hyperbole and exaggeration dance hand in hand with gloom, despair and contempt.

And the games haven't even started yet. LOL

and yet people come back for more

It does have to be tough on Stanton - money or not as it may very well mean the end of his career.

traderumor
03-29-2008, 10:33 AM
No one should care that they have to eat his contract except Bob. No one.

In a vacuum, this move made the team better from the moment they spit out the words to Stanton. The only problem is that they are replacing him with someone who might be just as bad.

I can't figure out what the difference is between Mercker and Stanton. If the Reds were actually replacing Stanton with something of worth, then this move would look a whole lot better.I think Mercker is prob. a place holder until Bray can get up to full strength. It was made pretty clear by Dusty that he likes Bray, but doesn't think he is ready for the demands of being in a major league bullpen at this point in the season. The difference is that Mercker got some people out this spring, I think.

Raisor
03-29-2008, 10:39 AM
But thanks for reminding me how smart you were on this prediction...don't forget to include the ones you are wrong about, though!

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-pictures-morning-person-lemurs.jpg

redsmetz
03-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Celebrate we should. I was one that thought he might do well also, but it was a risk in hindsight. I mentioned the money only because it seems it (the multi-year contract, which makes it even harder to get rid of) happens so often with this regime. Oh, heck. It's not my money. But if I remember correctly, Stanton had little if any support on these pages. So why the moaning and gnashing of teeth?

I think the only player who got consistent support on Redszone would be Chris Denorfia. :)

mth123
03-29-2008, 10:44 AM
and yet people come back for more

It does have to be tough on Stanton - money or not as it may very well mean the end of his career.

There are lots of injury induced situations out there with some contenders where he may hook on. Detroit, The LA Angels and Philly to name three. Detroit and LA may actually have parks that will help him survive the season. I'm still hopeful that the Reds can move a portion of that deal for the mid-season acquisition fund. Some team may be willing to take on some of his curent deal to avoid letting Stanton hit the market. I imagine the automatic 2009 guarantee after 71 appearances in 2008 is an impediment to a deal.

The thing about a guy like Stanton is that a lot of his former teammates are now populating coaching staffs around baseball. That may give him an in toward keeping his career alive. Yesterday, I had Dusty mentioning that Stanton was having issues personally saying "when it rains it pours" when discussing the DFA. Makes one wonder if Stanton may just walk away even if presented an opportunity at this point.

Raisor
03-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I think the only player who got consistent support on Redszone would be Chris Denorfia. :)

And Coombs, but I hear he's a drunk now.

OnBaseMachine
03-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Reds to buy out Stanton's contract
Left-handed reliever to be released by club on Monday
By Brittany Ghiroli / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Manager Dusty Baker wants to win now. Friday morning, Baker said the Reds plan on cutting veteran reliever Mike Stanton, costing the team $3 million this season, plus a $500,00 buyout option in 2009.

Although the official announcement won't be made until Opening Day, Baker said he spoke with Stanton early Friday morning to tell him of the decision.

On Saturday, Baker further delved into the Reds' conclusion regarding the left-hander.

"That was the probably the toughest one I've ever had to do," Baker said. "He just got back from a family emergency, and [you] find out you're out of a job."

Baker said Stanton was in a state of "shock" on Friday, but the Reds want to go with the best they can this season. Evidently, that doesn't include Stanton.

The reliever had a 1-3 record last season with a 5.93 ERA. He signed a two-year deal in 2007 and had a one-year option for 2009.

Stanton didn't do much to help his case in Spring Training, compiling a mediocre 4.50 ERA in six innings on the mound.

As of Saturday, the Reds have confirmed six of the seven bullpen spots. David Weathers, Jeremy Affeldt, Francisco Cordero, Todd Coffey, Kent Mercker and Jared Burton are all in. The final reliever could be announced following Saturday's game, as Baker hinted that more cuts were on the brink, but he wanted to speak with each player first.

With Cincinnati's decision to pay out Stanton's contractual obligations, the club has shown they believe the past seven losing seasons won't stretch to eight.

When asked what he liked most about the team coming out of Spring Training, Baker commended the mix of veteran and youth players.

"The guys are together," he said. "They want to win."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080329&content_id=2464736&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Falls City Beer
03-29-2008, 12:45 PM

I'll always be here, and I'll usually be right. :thumbup: At your service.

And you'll always be there to point out some mythical body of people who are now somehow hypocrites.

traderumor
03-29-2008, 01:27 PM
I'll always be here, and I'll usually be right. :thumbup: At your service.

And you'll always be there to point out some mythical body of people who are now somehow hypocrites.Hypocrisy is really not the angle, but you know how it goes. There is not a whole lot of crow eating around here. People throw stuff out there all the time in these parts and very, very seldom do folks go back and say "geesh, I was wrong on that player move" but drone on and on about their predictions that came to pass. Nothing mythical about it, considering folks around here are wrong all the time and you see so few posts where people are actually admitting it.

edabbs44
03-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Hypocrisy is really not the angle, but you know how it goes. There is not a whole lot of crow eating around here. People throw stuff out there all the time in these parts and very, very seldom do folks go back and say "geesh, I was wrong on that player move" but drone on and on about their predictions that came to pass. Nothing mythical about it, considering folks around here are wrong all the time and you see so few posts where people are actually admitting it.

The good thing about this board is that the old threads are archived so it is easy to figure out what side of the argument you were on.

For example, I learned that I hated the Stanton signing from day one.

I also learned (through that same thread) that DIPS ERA told us that Mike Stanton had been just as good as Justin Speier before they both signed. :laugh:

gm
03-29-2008, 02:53 PM
There are lots of injury induced situations out there with some contenders where he may hook on. Detroit, The LA Angels and Philly to name three. Detroit and LA may actually have parks that will help him survive the season. I'm still hopeful that the Reds can move a portion of that deal for the mid-season acquisition fund. Some team may be willing to take on some of his curent deal to avoid letting Stanton hit the market. I imagine the automatic 2009 guarantee after 71 appearances in 2008 is an impediment to a deal.

The thing about a guy like Stanton is that a lot of his former teammates are now populating coaching staffs around baseball. That may give him an in toward keeping his career alive. Yesterday, I had Dusty mentioning that Stanton was having issues personally saying "when it rains it pours" when discussing the DFA. Makes one wonder if Stanton may just walk away even if presented an opportunity at this point.

Isn't Mike something like 50 appearances away from the most all time? (I seem to recall hearing that stat on broadcasts last season) Stanton could wind up like Orosco or Franco, bouncing around from team to team until he's 45

or not

traderumor
03-29-2008, 03:06 PM
For example, I learned that I hated the Stanton signing from day one.

shocking ;)

savafan
03-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I'll admit I was wrong about the Mark Bellhorn signing. ;)

Ltlabner
03-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Celebrate we should. I was one that thought he might do well also, but it was a risk in hindsight. I mentioned the money only because it seems it (the multi-year contract, which makes it even harder to get rid of) happens so often with this regime.

Stanton, Cromier and Freel....that qualifies as "happens so often"? Especially compared to the total number of player moves that have been made. 3?

I just got up from a nap, so maybe I'm foggy and have forgotten this laundry list of other players Wayne has offered ill-advised multi-year deals to (and subsequently had to eat).

deltachi8
03-29-2008, 08:55 PM
And Coombs, but I hear he's a drunk now.

Yes but he excels at that as well.

KronoRed
03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes but he excels at that as well.

None better.

edabbs44
03-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Stanton, Cromier and Freel....that qualifies as "happens so often"? Especially compared to the total number of player moves that have been made. 3?

I just got up from a nap, so maybe I'm foggy and have forgotten this laundry list of other players Wayne has offered ill-advised multi-year deals to (and subsequently had to eat).

Gonzo will probably end up as a not so great signing. Castro also got 2 years.

SunDeck
03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I think it is significant that the Reds are actually in a position now to feel as though they can let a guy like Stanton go. Previously, because they had no other options whatsoever to rely on, they would have to keep him. Now, at least they can look at the other pitching talent they have and make a decision to take the risk of cutting loose a guy who may actually have something left in the tank. Obviously, he has been a disappointment for the Reds, but I could see the possibility that he may go somewhere else and perform better. There is a chance that could happen and if it does, I will be happy for him- he is a stand up guy who took responsibility when he didn't pitch well.

But the Reds can let someone else take a chance on him now because they feel like they have other options in their BP who are better bets. This may not be earth shattering, division winning promise, but it's progress indeed to see the Reds willing to buy him out.

WVRedsFan
03-30-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanks for always policing my posts. I really should have done better explaining or researching or whatever. This place has become the epitome of research, so hours of studying and prepartion should be in the board rules.

I was including the Narron extention and the Freel and Coffey extentions and maybe one other which I forget this early in the morning, but no matter. It does seem like we've DFA'd a lot of players over the last two years, but maybe that's not poor judgment, just taking a chance. My memory's not that good, but I can't ever remember that many in three years in my life, but my memory can't be trusted these days

RFS62
03-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Seems to me that the most significant thing about all this is the fact that KDawg had to admit the signing was a bust. No other way to cut a guaranteed contract than to just come out and admit it. Not to the general public, if you're still trying to make some kind of deal to get him out of here. But in house.

He had to admit it, for the good of the franchise. Not his own personal good, the good of the team.

I like it when people take responsibility.

Highlifeman21
03-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Reds to buy out Stanton's contract
Left-handed reliever to be released by club on Monday
By Brittany Ghiroli / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Manager Dusty Baker wants to win now. Friday morning, Baker said the Reds plan on cutting veteran reliever Mike Stanton, costing the team $3 million this season, plus a $500,00 buyout option in 2009.

Although the official announcement won't be made until Opening Day, Baker said he spoke with Stanton early Friday morning to tell him of the decision.

On Saturday, Baker further delved into the Reds' conclusion regarding the left-hander.

"That was the probably the toughest one I've ever had to do," Baker said. "He just got back from a family emergency, and [you] find out you're out of a job."

Baker said Stanton was in a state of "shock" on Friday, but the Reds want to go with the best they can this season. Evidently, that doesn't include Stanton.

The reliever had a 1-3 record last season with a 5.93 ERA. He signed a two-year deal in 2007 and had a one-year option for 2009.

Stanton didn't do much to help his case in Spring Training, compiling a mediocre 4.50 ERA in six innings on the mound.

As of Saturday, the Reds have confirmed six of the seven bullpen spots. David Weathers, Jeremy Affeldt, Francisco Cordero, Todd Coffey, Kent Mercker and Jared Burton are all in. The final reliever could be announced following Saturday's game, as Baker hinted that more cuts were on the brink, but he wanted to speak with each player first.

With Cincinnati's decision to pay out Stanton's contractual obligations, the club has shown they believe the past seven losing seasons won't stretch to eight.

When asked what he liked most about the team coming out of Spring Training, Baker commended the mix of veteran and youth players.

"The guys are together," he said. "They want to win."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080329&content_id=2464736&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

1. Sorry to hear about Stanton's family emergency, but I think he'll get by on $3.5 Mil over the next two years without throwing a pitch. Plus, we can't rule out some other team getting desperate and picking him up. I think Stanton will be able to get by.

2. Really Mike? A shock? I understand you're a lefty, and lefties are held to lesser standards, but you were making a lot of money to do a job and you weren't doing your job. Now you're making a lot of money to not have a job. Sounds like great work, if you can get it.

In the last two years, we've seen the Reds show Cormier the door, and now Stanton, so I'm hoping we're turning the corner and this is a sign of better things to come. Should prove interesting to wait and see.