PDA

View Full Version : Reds to cut Stanton

Degenerate39
03-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Reds to cut Stanton
BY JOHN ERARDI | JERARDI@ENQUIRER.COM
E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us! | Click-2-Listen

Reds manager Dusty Baker said this morning that the team has told reliever Mike Stanton that they are going let him go.

The move means the Reds will eat $3 million of Stanton's contract this season, and $500,000 next season.

Last season Stanton was 1-3 with a 5.93 ERA. He signed a two-year deal starting with the 2007 season, which included a one-year option for 2009.

Baker and Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky did not get into specifics, but Krivsky confirmed the news.

"We talked to Mike this morning," Krivsky said. "It was a very tough conversation."

Krivsky did not want to comment beyond that about the Stanton because the team has not officially made the announcement.

"Whatever Dusty told you is good enough for me. But nothing official has happened we don't have to do those kinds of things until Monday."

Thank God. But this doesn't make any sense to why they sent Bray down. It doesn't matter to me right now though I'm pretty happy with this.

Revering4Blue
03-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Kudos to Krivsky for acknowledging a mistake and correcting it. Makes me wonder if the rumored Freel for Edwin Jackson deal will come to fruition.

yab1112
03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
this doesn't make any sense to why they sent Bray down.

agreed, does this mean beslile is staying in the pen?:confused:

BLEEDS
03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

:thisyear:

:rockband:

When I saw Bray was optioned to AAA, I was ready to kill/jump.

Now, me and my gun can come off the ledge - AND CELEBRATE!!!!!

I am giving Dusty HUGE HUGE props for this!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
03-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Mike Lincoln - welcome to the Big Leagues!!!

OR

Belisle stays in the pen to be the long relief - which will be needed becuase nobody else in the pen can go more than 2 innings.

I'd put my $$ on the former.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

CySeymour
03-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, I guess basically that frees up one spot on the 40 man for Patterson. But then, if Merker and/or Lincoln make the team, that's another spot or two that have to be created.

03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
According to the Report, "Dusty Baker said this morning that the team has told reliever Mike Stanton that they are going let him go." That statement, combined with this one from Krivsky, "Whatever Dusty told you is good enough for me. But nothing official has happened we don't have to do those kinds of things until Monday" suggests that he could still be traded.
Usually being "let go" means released, but it could just mean that he won't be on the team. Either way, it's a smart move.

As Bleeds points out, this means that the Reds wanted a long reliever for the last spot, either Belisle if he is healthy or Lincoln if he is not. Which, given two rookies and Josh Fogg in the rotation, is a good idea.

Rounding Third
03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Great move, I am very pleased and surprised.

This does give a spot for Belisle as long relief in the pen. Although I think Affeldt can do the same. Now the Reds have 2 long relievers who are effective in short term usage, but can also spot start and bail out the other starters.

Degenerate39
03-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Great move, I am very pleased and surprised.

This does give a spot for Belisle as long relief in the pen. Although I think Affeldt can do the same. Now the Reds have 2 long relievers who are effective in short term usage, but can also spot start and bail out the other starters.

It's probably better that the Reds have 2 long relievers with Cueto and Volquez in the rotation. Both are bound to have some bad outings.

Rounding Third
03-28-2008, 02:27 PM
It's probably better that the Reds have 2 long relievers with Cueto and Volquez in the rotation. Both are bound to have some bad outings.

Yeah that exactly my though.

Don't forget Fogg either.

Jharb74
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I'd like to say it's been a slice, but I won't. This will give him a lot of time to read all of those pages of the Mitchell Report, and find his name.

GoReds33
03-28-2008, 02:47 PM
That is the best offseason move the Reds could make. They were smart in the move, because they tried to trade him. When they realized he had no value, they did the right thing and let him go.

smoke6
03-28-2008, 02:48 PM
YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

FreelFanatic
03-28-2008, 03:10 PM
As an aside, why is everyone at ORG so high on Jim Brower? He's only had one game this spring where he DIDN'T give up a run!

DATE OPP IP H R ER BB SO
2/27 at Pit 1.0 - - - - 1
3/1 vs Pit 0.1 4 4 4 - -
(3/8 Simulated, 25 pitches )
3/13 vs Phi 1.2 1 1 - 1 2
3/15 at Bos 1.0 3 2 2 - -
3/23 vs TB 2.1 2 1 1 1 1
Thu vs Min 1.0 2 1 1 - -

AccordinglyReds
03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
w00t!

This is great news, and it will help Bray come up sooner!

GoReds33
03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
w00t!

This is great news, and it will help Bray come up sooner!They probably shouldn't have sent him down in the first place though.

Redus
03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Way to do the right thing Reds! Wow. Theres change in the air. "Juan Castro report to Wayne K's office..Juan Castro"

smoke6
03-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Way to do the right thing Reds! Wow. Theres change in the air. "Juan Castro report to Wayne K's office..Juan Castro"

You mean,"Juan Castro, informe a la oficina de Wayne K...Juan Castro":D

captainmorgan07
03-28-2008, 05:13 PM
this is the best move of the spring so far. Krivksy realizes his mistake stanton was way past his prime. Didn't have overpowering stuff anymore to get anyone out routinely.

CarolinaRedleg
03-28-2008, 05:26 PM
<hyperbole>This will be a day long pointed to when fans look back on an era dominated by the New Red Machine.</hyperbole>

All joking aside, great move Reds. That's a lot of dead weight that is now no longer this team's problem.

Degenerate39
03-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Reds say ready to drop veteran LHP Stanton

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP)—The Cincinnati Reds plan to cut 40-year-old reliever Mike Stanton.

Manager Dusty Baker and general manager Wayne Krivsky said the club discussed the plans with Stanton on Friday as they worked on final roster moves before Monday’s opener.

The left-hander, due $3 million this year, will be designated for assignment. If he refuses to go to the minor leagues, the Reds would have 10 days to trade or release him. They would owe him this year’s salary and $500,000 of the team’s 2009 option.

“We don’t have to do those things until Monday, but we have had a conversation with him to explain the situation,” Krivsky said.

“Stanton was a very tough decision,” Baker said.

Stanton is coming off a disappointing 2007 season, going 1-3 with a 5.93 ERA in 69 games.

After 19 major league seasons, Stanton ranks second in appearances with 1,178. He pitched in six World Series with the Braves and Yankees and was signed by the Reds after ending the 2006 season as the Giants’ closer.

He was beat out this year by another 40-year-old lefty, Kent Mercker, who came to camp under a minor league contract after missing last season following elbow surgery. The 17-year veteran pitched four seasons for the Reds and also pitched for Baker’s Chicago Cubs.

Cincinnati also optioned left-handed relief pitcher Bill Bray to Triple-A Louisville, assigned infielder Andy Phillips to minor league camp and returned left-handed pitcher Jose Capellan to the Red Sox.

The moves left the Reds with right-handers Francisco Cordero, David Weathers, Jared Burton and Todd Coffey and lefties Jeremy Affeldt and Mercker for their bullpen.

Matt Belisle, expected to contend for the starting rotation, is trying to work back from a stiff right forearm. The Reds haven’t made a formal move with Belisle, but could option him to Louisville or put him on the 15-day disabled list.

The Reds’ rotation now shapes up as holdovers Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo and newcomers Johnny Cueto, Josh Fogg and Edinson Volquez.

steig
03-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Great move, and proof of a dedication to winning.

BigRed
03-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Great move, but I wonder now if there was any truth to the Stanton for Helms rumors. It would seem that it would be better to trade him than to just release him. Helms could have been the 25th man and hits lefties pretty well.

captainmorgan07
03-28-2008, 06:42 PM
The phillies did call about stanton and offered Helms and the reds said no.

cjs07484
03-28-2008, 07:00 PM
3 years of Helms' contract was too not worth it

UPRedsFan
03-28-2008, 07:22 PM
There's some justice in Mercker making the team after taking a year off to heal the natural way vs. Stanton who used to juice.

I'm glad Mercker made it. If he's not successful against left handers, Bray will be waiting.

03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
With Stanton being DFA's instead of outright released, this means that the Reds could still trade him. He won't accept a minor league assignment, so that means they will have 10 days from the day they DFA him, which will be Sunday or Monday, to try to trade him.
The Helms deal could still be on, with the Reds waiting to see if they can trade Freel or Hopper to make room for Helms. If the Reds take Helms right now, they don't have a roster space for him. This gives them time to find room. Just a theory.

shREDded29
03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
There's some justice in Mercker making the team after taking a year off to heal the natural way vs. Stanton who used to juice.

I'm glad Mercker made it. If he's not successful against left handers, Bray will be waiting.

Uh, you know Mercker was in the Mitchell report too, right? They had his checks and shipping labels?

PastAndPending
03-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Kudos to Krivsky for acknowledging a mistake and correcting it. Makes me wonder if the rumored Freel for Edwin Jackson deal will come to fruition.

:thumbdown

Wasn't Krivsky's decision.

He was going to hold on to Stanton as long as he could.

SultanOfSwing
03-28-2008, 11:11 PM
:thumbdown

Wasn't Krivsky's decision.

He was going to hold on to Stanton as long as he could.
How do you know that? I have seen nothing to indicate otherwise. Or are you just speculating?

Personally I believe Krivsky was leaning toward unloading Stanton anyway. His performance this spring and Dusty's opinion/comments made up his mind.

AmarilloRed
03-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Good news- it is just too bad Bray will be in AAA.

George Foster
03-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Is it just me or is our AAA team loaded with talent. I would take the Riverbats over the Nats, or Pirates in a 4 game series...

LouisvilleCARDS
03-29-2008, 02:29 AM
See ya Stanton. Anyone have the old thread where it was announced the Reds signed him? How many people said it was a ridiculously stupid move, and look how it turned out. I have no clue what the hell the Reds were thinking in signing him for that much money at the time. Another cool $3 mil down the drain, $6 mil total out of this one I guess. After the $30 mil Eric Milton disaster though, I guess this is an improvement.

BLEEDS
03-29-2008, 09:42 AM
That money was down the drain the minute they signed it. The only decision was whether or not to let him PITCH anymore.

Could have been worse - if you can believe it - he could have had 70 appearances for us, and then GUARANTEED his option year for $2.75M!!!

NOW, to find out what we get for Freel, and who the last bullpen spot(s?) go to.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

UGADaddy
03-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I wonder if this was more Baker or Krivski?? Either way, great move by the Reds. I liked Stanton in the clubhouse, but this was a great baseball move that was probably a pretty difficult decision considering the amount of money on the line.

Since we sent Bray down in ST, does that count as an option??

Jack Burton
03-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Thank You

03-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I wonder if this was more Baker or Krivski?? Either way, great move by the Reds. I liked Stanton in the clubhouse, but this was a great baseball move that was probably a pretty difficult decision considering the amount of money on the line.

Since we sent Bray down in ST, does that count as an option??

A player can be sent down an infinite number of times in a season and it will only count as one option.

gilpdawg
03-29-2008, 04:33 PM
I feel kind of bad for Mike. He's probably the only one who thinks he can still pitch effectively. He's had a pretty darn good career. He was pitching when I was 11 years old. I'll be 30 in May. Can't beat that. I wish the guy luck.

NolaRed
03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Great news...I wish they'd have done it sooner and kept Bray up