PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Sports article gives predictions for upcoming season and the Reds are mentioned

Handofdeath
03-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Tim Brown, Jeff Passan, and Steve Henson were asked to give predictions for the upcoming season as far as individual accomplishments and awards go. Jeff Passan picked Johnny Cueto for NL ROY. Steve Henson mentioned Adam Dunn as his dark horse for the NL HR title. Now for the interesting part. Henson and Brown pick Wayne Krivsky as the first GM in MLB to be fired but in a separate article all 3 say the Reds will have at least a .500 record. Thoughts?

GoReds33
03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
If the Reds have a .500 record, but miss the playoffs by alot, I think Krivsky may be fired. Say they're 82-82, but the wild card team wins 89 games. IMO, Krivsky would atleast be under some very direct heat from Bob C.

Handofdeath
03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
If the Reds have a .500 record, but miss the playoffs by alot, I think Krivsky may be fired. Say they're 82-82, but the wild card team wins 89 games. IMO, Krivsky would atleast be under some very direct heat from Bob C.

Steve Henson 86-76 (1 game behind the Cubs for 1st but no wild card)

Tim Brown 81-81 (tied for 2nd with Brewers and 6 games back of the Cubs)

Jeff Passan 82-80 (3rd place with the Brewers winning 89 and the Cubs winning 88)

GoReds33
03-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Steve Henson 86-76 (1 game behind the Cubs for 1st but no wild card)

Tim Brown 81-81 (tied for 2nd with Brewers and 6 games back of the Cubs)

Jeff Passan 82-80 (3rd place with the Brewers winning 89 and the Cubs winning 88)With Henson's prediction, Krivsky would still be around IMO. If the season ends like the other two predict, he's possibly gone. Krivsky is a good GM, and has brought in good minor league depth, and a couple key contributors for this team, but it hasn't yet amounted to enough wins. Hopefully it does this year.

Degenerate39
03-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I read this the other day but I'm not sure about Wayne getting the boot after this season unless the Redlegs just fall flat on their face. Knock on wood that that doesn't happen.

Rounding Third
03-28-2008, 04:07 PM
I read this the other day but I'm not sure about Wayne getting the boot after this season unless the Redlegs just fall flat on their face. Knock on wood that that doesn't happen.

Normally I think this would be the case. But it looks like Walt Jocketty is just waiting to be the GM for next year.

GoReds33
03-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Normally I think this would be the case. But it looks like Walt Jocketty is just waiting to be the GM for next year.Keep in mind that Jockety said that he has no need, or motivation to be a GM anymore.

Handofdeath
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Normally I think this would be the case. But it looks like Walt Jocketty is just waiting to be the GM for next year.

If Krivsky makes any more Mike Stanton-like mistakes, that may well happen. I do think a GM, unlike a manager, should have at least 3-4 years before you can really judge him though. Something that doesn't get mentioned a lot and should be is that WK's experience as an Assistant GM was in the AL. In the NL you put together rosters quite a bit differently. That is where having Jocketty is good because he knows how to put together a successful NL franchise while WK is still learning as he goes.

HalMorrisRules
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
As much as any other Reds fan, I would love to see the Reds make the playoffs. But after 7 long years, I think an acceptable step this season would be to finish above .500 and be competitive day in and day out. Maybe a little bit of pennant fever.

Rounding Third
03-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Keep in mind that Jockety said that he has no need, or motivation to be a GM anymore.

You never really know though. Jocketty is a big time "old school" baseball guy, as is Mr. Castellini's manager Dusty Baker.

Anything is possible, I am extremely excited and curious to see how all of this pans out.

JWP
03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
All of those predictions seem to be in the ballpark for what I'm expecting, somewhere between 80-85 wins.

But how is Adam Dunn a dark horse player for the NL home run crown? He's hit at least 40 home runs in 5 straight seasons. If anyone wasn't a dark horse, it would probably be Adam Dunn.

Jr's Boy
03-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Keep in mind that Jockety said that he has no need, or motivation to be a GM anymore.

Yeah but I think he would take the job if it was available.He doesn't want to cause any friction within the organization,thats why he said that IMO.

Handofdeath
03-28-2008, 07:54 PM
All of those predictions seem to be in the ballpark for what I'm expecting, somewhere between 80-85 wins.

But how is Adam Dunn a dark horse player for the NL home run crown? He's hit at least 40 home runs in 5 straight seasons. If anyone wasn't a dark horse, it would probably be Adam Dunn.

No, it's been 40 home runs in 4 straight seasons. He's a dark horse because he was 10 homers behind Fielder in 2007, and 18 behind Ryan Howard in 2006. You have to pick those guys over Dunn. Then you add Holliday and Pujols to the equation and you just have to consider Dunn a dark horse in that group.

ChatterRed
03-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I think Bob C would be stupid to fire Krivsky. I think he's done a good job considering the circumstances. The whole rebuilding plan was dependent on the farm system since they don't want to spend any money.......and the farm system is just now starting to reach the majors with Bruce, Votto, Cueto, Volquez (trade for Hamilton - another good WK pickup)..............and others that will soon be (Roenicke, Maloney?).

Handofdeath
04-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Tim Brown, Jeff Passan, and Steve Henson were asked to give predictions for the upcoming season as far as individual accomplishments and awards go. Jeff Passan picked Johnny Cueto for NL ROY. Steve Henson mentioned Adam Dunn as his dark horse for the NL HR title. Now for the interesting part. Henson and Brown pick Wayne Krivsky as the first GM in MLB to be fired but in a separate article all 3 say the Reds will have at least a .500 record. Thoughts?

Seems these gentlemen might have known a little more about WK's situation with the Reds than we thought.

Degenerate39
04-23-2008, 02:37 PM
The baseball prophets. I really didn't see this coming but some how they all did.