PDA

View Full Version : Could Freel be heading to Tampa Bay?

Handofdeath
03-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Mlbtraderumors.com is mentioning that Tampa Bay has a few too many SP's with no options left. The names Edwin Jackson and Jason Hammel are mentioned as possibly heading out for OF help that the Rays are actively pursuing. The Cubs(Matt Murton), Reds(Ryan Freel), and Royals(any of them) are mentioned as possibilities.

Redsnake
03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
What good would Edwin Jackson be for the Reds? He's not an upgrade too the staff and he's not a back end reliever. Long relief?? I think that will be Affeldt and Belisle's gig.

JWP
03-28-2008, 04:56 PM
What good would Edwin Jackson be for the Reds? He's not an upgrade too the staff and he's not a back end reliever. Long relief?? I think that will be Affeldt and Belisle's gig.

Despite his stats, Jackson has some pretty nasty stuff. He might be one of those pitchers where a change of scenery (and more importantly a change of league) might do him good. I would gladly put him in long relief.

Freel for Jackson would be a steal for the Reds.

yab1112
03-28-2008, 04:57 PM
mlbtraderumors.com now reporting that:
The Rays have claimed left-hand-hitting Nathan Haynes off waivers from the Angels. Rocco Baldelli will be moved to the 60-day DL to make room on the 40-man. Marc Lancaster speculates that Haynes, who is out of options, will take a roster spot that was presumed to be Eric Hinske's.

Does this mean they're no longer looking for another outfielder?

cjs07484
03-28-2008, 05:07 PM
I think Freel is too expensive for the Rays.. better cheaper options out there for them.

Handofdeath
03-28-2008, 06:38 PM
I could see the Rays doing this kind of a deal for Freel. You have a guy who makes about 2 million a year and can play 6 positions. The Rays could use speed in their lineup because if I'm them, I would rather Freel be stealing bases than taking a chance on BJ Upton breaking an ankle sliding into 2B. He hustles and is the kind of player that fans can get behind. Kind of what Rusty Greer was for the Rangers. The Rays NEED that.

Johnny Cueto
03-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't know if hammel or jackson would be the kind of return for freel that I'd want. I would rather have some promising High A prospects.

Handofdeath
03-28-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't know if hammel or jackson would be the kind of return for freel that I'd want. I would rather have some promising High A prospects.

I think I would take one of the Rays SP's. I almost always prefer a player with some MLB experience over a "prospect."

Degenerate39
03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Trade Freel to Tampa Bay for a pitcher so the Reds will always have a spot for Juan Castro ;)

SultanOfSwing
03-28-2008, 10:06 PM
mlbtraderumors.com now reporting that:
The Rays have claimed left-hand-hitting Nathan Haynes off waivers from the Angels. Rocco Baldelli will be moved to the 60-day DL to make room on the 40-man. Marc Lancaster speculates that Haynes, who is out of options, will take a roster spot that was presumed to be Eric Hinske's.

Does this mean they're no longer looking for another outfielder?

Badelli is going to the DL?!! What a surprise! :rolleyes:

lenmccart
03-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Badelli is going to the DL?!! What a surprise! :rolleyes:

he has some sort of rare mitochondrial disease that doesn't allow his body to repair itself like other normal people (much less professional athletes).

Not funny to be honest (but I'll assume you weren't aware of his sickness)

JWP
03-28-2008, 11:13 PM
he has some sort of rare mitochondrial disease that doesn't allow his body to repair itself like other normal people (much less professional athletes).

Not funny to be honest (but I'll assume you weren't aware of his sickness)

It's really a tragedy. I remember just a few years ago a lot of people were comparing him to Joe DiMaggio. His career might be over with a disease like that.

fadetoblack2880
03-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Here's hoping Freel is headed to Tampa by Monday.

ChatterRed
03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Who will be our 5th OFer then?

chettt
03-29-2008, 10:50 AM
How about Encarnacion to San Francisco? Then, Freel & a reliever to Detroit for Inge!!!!!!! I would include Hatteberg if I had to!!!

Oxilon
03-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Despite his stats, Jackson has some pretty nasty stuff. He might be one of those pitchers where a change of scenery (and more importantly a change of league) might do him good. I would gladly put him in long relief.

Freel for Jackson would be a steal for the Reds.

He's played for both the Devil Rays and the Dodgers so I don't think it matters what league he's in. And he's also played at home for pitchers' parks his entire career. I think we're past the part where a change of scenary will help him.

BEETTLEBUG
03-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I would take Jackson for Freel and cash.

redsfanmia
03-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I would take anything for Freel and I think the Reds would as well.

NolaRed
03-29-2008, 06:14 PM
If we get Edwin Jackson for Ryan Freel I'll do a backflip. It's not going to happen.

fadetoblack2880
03-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Anything for Freel and I'd do a backflip.