PDA

View Full Version : I guess Nats fans know how we all felt. . .

wpenn4
03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
This isn't a Kearns' bashing thread, but I snickered when I heard it, so I thought I'd share.

I live in the DC area, and yesterday, one of the local sports talk stations was fielding listener questions about the Nats and O's with some of the local beat writers. I had to laugh when one caller asked if this was the year Austin Kearns finally broke out and lived up to his billing. The writers didn't really answer directly, but basically said "we'd all love to see that, but we're not sure if it's happening, this year or ever." Like I said above, I'd love for him to do well, but I think it's funny being a Reds fan and constantly hearing about "the trade" and how we lost out. It seems Nats fans aren't too impressed with it, either. Last I heard, Lopez is starting out the season as a backup (behind Belliard and Guzman, ouch).

Jr's Boy
03-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Very good point,it's not exactly like the Reds got the short end of the stick.

Reverend Doo-Rag
03-28-2008, 05:20 PM
So when does Austin Kearns cease to be a prospect with great potential? People will always root for a former first rounder with a cool name.

DannyB
03-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Let me think-who did we get for Kearns and Lopez?

Oh right a couple of minor league bullpen pitchers.

captainmorgan07
03-28-2008, 05:41 PM
We might just end up the winner in this trade by the results of Darryl Thompson. Bray and Magix might just cancel out Kearns and Lopez. Lopez can't even beat out Guzman and Belliard. I liked Lopez when he was hear but i think we all knew GABP was part of his offensive success. His defense was spotty and had an erratic arm. I'd rather have Gonzo/Keppinger over Felo at short.

Kearns was never healthy enough to suit me. When he was he showed flashes but not enough consistency to become a big time star that he was talked up to be. Oh and that ryan wagner fellow he's done a whole lot of nothing in a national uniform.
Bray and Thompson could swing the favor of this trade towards the reds with the bright futures they both can have.

03-28-2008, 05:44 PM

Actually the Reds have three minor league pitchers left, Daryl Thompson, Gary Majewski, and Bill Bray.
Thompson looked really good this spring. Bray is only in the minors to build up arm strength since he started spring training around two weeks late. He will be on the Reds roster for most of the season, and Majewski...well, he has a funny name.

DannyB
03-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Actually the Reds have three minor league pitchers left, Daryl Thompson, Gary Majewski, and Bill Bray.
Thompson looked really good this spring. Bray is only in the minors to build up arm strength since he started spring training around two weeks late. He will be on the Reds roster for most of the season, and Majewski...well, he has a funny name.

Brays ML career
2006-2007 yes thats 2 YEARS
67 G
65 IP
4.57 ERA
Is that good?

gilpdawg
03-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Brays ML career
2006-2007 yes thats 2 YEARS
67 G
65 IP
4.57 ERA
Is that good?
It's not terrible. And in his 19 games last year his "saber" stats were good. His era was skewed by one or two bad outings. His k/9 was up to 8.7. BB/9 slightly up to 3.1. FIP-ERA was 3.06. He's a very serviceable reliever when healthy.

Johnny Cueto
03-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Bray should turn into a setup guy in the bullpen. Hard to see him as much more than that. Just shows how worthless that trade really was, it was just an our trash for your trash trade.

ChatterRed
03-28-2008, 07:03 PM
People conveniently forget that Kearns was coming up for a big raise. I believe Lopez was too.

If nothing else, they both turned out to be busts and the Reds saved alot of money.

DannyB
03-28-2008, 10:23 PM
It's not terrible. And in his 19 games last year his "saber" stats were good. His era was skewed by one or two bad outings. His k/9 was up to 8.7. BB/9 slightly up to 3.1. FIP-ERA was 3.06. He's a very serviceable reliever when healthy.

19 games-14.1 innings
There are no stats of any kind that makes that good.

People conveniently forget that Kearns was coming up for a big raise. I believe Lopez was too.

If nothing else, they both turned out to be busts and the Reds saved alot of money.

Lopez -maybe-Boras was his agent.
I think this is Kearns first year of arb.
Last year Kearns
16 hr
74 RBI

gilpdawg
03-29-2008, 12:19 AM
19 games-14.1 innings
There are no stats of any kind that makes that good.

You can only pitch when the manager puts ya out there.

LouisvilleCARDS
03-29-2008, 01:38 AM
We definitely probably could have got more for them, but overall, its not a big deal in hindsight. For something so major at the time (I remember one source writing an article saying it was one of the worst trades in the past 10, 20 years or so), its turned out to be a ridiculous footnote trade. The Nationals are paying a backup second baseman barely batting over the Mendoza line a cool $5 million, and have a pretty mediocre OF'er set up for several years too.

I think the grievance with the Nationals is STILL going too. If anything its just another reason to dislike Mr Leatherpants. Hopefully though this whole trade deal isn't a reason to justify keeping Majewski around even longer if he can't get it together. Majewski sounds like a beaten guy every time I read his comments, he doesn't seem like he'll get it together anytime soon.

PastAndPending
03-29-2008, 05:11 AM

We also got a guy who broke or atleast got close to the minor league hit streak record - Watson I think his name was. He was an OF.

And Brendan Harris, a .300 hitter with pop who started for TB last year and is now the starting SS for the Twinkies.

NolaRed
03-29-2008, 06:34 PM
So neither team got the better end and neither team got the worse end...Is that a win-win or a lose-lose?

tomd63
03-30-2008, 04:22 PM

I keep hearing that Bray will be good if he's ever healthy. But he's barely managed to outpitch Wagner since the trade. I expect that he will eventually. I hope.

Name IP H BB SO ERA
Wagner 46.3 56 23 29 5.05
Bray 42.0 49 14 37 4.93