PDA

View Full Version : The Reds Will Be Better Than You Think - John Donovan

SultanOfSwing
03-29-2008, 12:34 AM
More positive press for the Redlegs!

http://cgi.cnnsi.com/2008/writers/john_donovan/03/28/donovan.predictions/index.html

7. The Reds will be better than you think. They're a trendy up-and-comer, sure, though no one sees them as NL Central champs. I won't go that far, either. But they have the sluggers, the park to slug in, some young starters that can do some damage (Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto) and -- finally -- some semblance of a bullpen. They overpaid for closer Francisco Cordero. But they needed him. Badly.

Also says Cardinals will have the worst record in the NL (although he thinks the Pirates, Astros, and Giants will give them a run).
Also thinks Fukudome will be NL ROY. :rolleyes:

BearcatShane
03-29-2008, 12:44 AM
The Reds have been getting some major love in the media of late.

SultanOfSwing
03-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Yes. Yes they are.

Lets just hope they justify it all. Or rather surpass all expectations! ;)

mroby85
03-29-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm more excited for this year than any other since 2000, when we had picked up griffey. hope this works out better, lol.

SultanOfSwing
03-29-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm more excited for this year than any other since 2000, when we had picked up griffey. hope this works out better, lol.
Well in all honesty, if the Reds finish 85-77 in 2008 (as they did in 2000) they might win the division (or the WC). I would be pretty happy! Although, I am still shooting for 162-0. ;)

ChatterRed
03-29-2008, 09:47 AM
They are definitely improved. I am excited about Cueto and Volquez, although I think it's alot to expect out of those two. I think the entire season hinges on their performances.

jmac
03-29-2008, 01:52 PM

With Cueto/Volqeuz/Votto/Bruce/Bailey either here on on the horizon, hopefully this is the start of something that will continue.

gedred69
03-29-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm liking the positive vibes, both from the National Media, and even more so, on this Site. Could this team be the surprise the '90 team was? As someone else posted, so much will depend on the performance of the young arms, Volquez, Cueto, and if somebody stumbles, Bailey. Also, does anybody know what the prognosis is for Livingston?

AmarilloRed
03-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Also, does anybody know what the prognosis is for Livingston?

From Rotoworld:

When Livingston had labrum surgery last September, he said he hoped to be ready for Opening Day. However, he reported to camp well behind the rest of the Reds' pitchers. If all goes well, he'll probably begin a rehab assignment on May. He might be a candidate for the rotation later in the year, but he's more of a Triple-A guy.

He should start rehabbing in May, and will possibly be playing later in the year. It is highly likely he will be playing in AAA, however.

NolaRed
03-29-2008, 06:11 PM
With Cueto/Volqeuz/Votto/Bruce/Bailey either here on on the horizon, hopefully this is the start of something that will continue.

Even if this season doesn't turn out as well as we hope, these guys still provide a bright future