PDA

View Full Version : MLBTV

redsfaninbsg
03-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I've used the search button to no luck. Realistically is it worth the extra money for the premium version of mlbtv?

Unassisted
03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
I've had the basic version for as long as MLB has offered it and Gameday Audio before that. The premium version of MLB.TV might be worth your while if you have a lot of bandwidth and a large screen to view it on.

I've been quite content with the cheaper one. If you've never had either, I recommend starting out with the basic version and seeing if you find the quality to be adequate. You'll find that MLB will be happy to take your money for an upgrade at any time. :) Downgrading requires a phone call, but upgrading can be done online.

redsfaninbsg
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
My next question is can I run the video stream to my tv? I have a 37 inch magnavox with a usb output on the back. Also what type of quality will I see on the tv if I can run it to the tv.

Reds Nd2
03-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I upgraded to the premium version last season and thought the picture clarity was a bit better. IIRC they were streaming at 750K last season. It's a little faster this season. As the computer is my only choice for watching baseball and I watch alot of games, it was worth it for me.

If you've never had the MLB.tv package, I believe all of the games are free today.

redsrule2500
03-29-2008, 10:31 PM
My next question is can I run the video stream to my tv? I have a 37 inch magnavox with a usb output on the back. Also what type of quality will I see on the tv if I can run it to the tv.

DONT USE USB!!

If you have an LCD it should have VGA/RGB connections!!

Hook up your TV as an extra monitor, and simply drag over any video to that monitor and fullscreen it! It's perfect! I'm doing this on my 37" LCD Vizio and it's amazing. (This just extends your desktop, so you could even view redszone.com on your big screen haha)

kheidg-
03-29-2008, 10:34 PM
MLB.tv is great. I ordered it since they've had it and like Unassisted -- had MLB audio before that. I still listen to games on XM radio from time to time but MLB.tv is the baseball fan's best friend. Seems like there is always a game on. I'm ordering the premium version this year, it isn't that much more and I tend to use their Mosaic feature where you can watch 6 games at once and rotate back and forth. At least when the Reds aren't on, that is.

I'm also going to try to use my LCD TV as a monitor this year and see how that works. It may take a bit of trickery but should be worth it compared to watching at the computer on a 20 inch monitor.

redsfaninbsg
03-31-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm having no luck at all running this to my tv. I don't have sga video output on my laptop. I do have a place on the tv for that, is there a way I can adapt that?

Jpup
03-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm having no luck at all running this to my tv. I don't have sga video output on my laptop. I do have a place on the tv for that, is there a way I can adapt that?

Do you have s-video on your video card? That could be an option.

redsfaninbsg
03-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Not very smart on computers, how would I go about finding that out?

Tommyjohn25
03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
I just upgraded to Premium today. While the picture is worlds better, it runs like absolute crap. That could very well be the fault of my prehistoric computer though.

jojo
03-31-2008, 10:30 PM
I just upgraded to Premium today. While the picture is worlds better, it runs like absolute crap. That could very well be the fault of my prehistoric computer though.

Mine was utter garbage today performance wise too.... it usually is flawless.

kheidg-
04-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Mine was utter garbage today performance wise too.... it usually is flawless.

Mine too. I was a bit upset to say the least. I'm thinking this will resolve itself now that opening day is done.

icehole3
04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Anyone with Time Warner MLB Extra Innings is free until April 6th

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Albany/Programming/sports/package_mlb.html

redsrule2500
04-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Again, never use S-Video. The max resolution is about that of a PDA and it will look terrible on your television.

Jpup
04-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Again, never use S-Video. The max resolution is about that of a PDA and it will look terrible on your television.

not if you just have SD. It will look fine. It will do 480i without a problem.

Will M
08-31-2010, 02:56 AM
i am looking into MLB.TV as a way to watch the Reds without paying $960 a year for cable TV.

I live in northern Kentucky. If I understand things right all the Reds games will be blacked out during the game. Then ~90 minutes after the game ends it will be 'archived' on MLB.TV
This means I can watch the game anytime.

1. is this correct?

2. how long is the game 'archived' for?

Thanks.

oneupper
08-31-2010, 07:16 AM
i am looking into MLB.TV as a way to watch the Reds without paying $960 a year for cable TV.

I live in northern Kentucky. If I understand things right all the Reds games will be blacked out during the game. Then ~90 minutes after the game ends it will be 'archived' on MLB.TV
This means I can watch the game anytime.

1. is this correct?

2. how long is the game 'archived' for?

Thanks.

The Archived games are there all season.

Go to http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/

Click on "Open Calendar".

Find the date and game you want.

I come back from traveling sometimes and catch up on games I missed while away.

I usually use the "condensed game" because its quicker, but the archived games are indexed so you can jump to the inning you want to see.

You can try MLB.tv for the rest of the season for less than what a whole season costs. I think they're down to like $30 at this point.

Will M
08-31-2010, 02:12 PM
The Archived games are there all season.

Go to http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/

Click on "Open Calendar".

Find the date and game you want.

I come back from traveling sometimes and catch up on games I missed while away.

I usually use the "condensed game" because its quicker, but the archived games are indexed so you can jump to the inning you want to see.

You can try MLB.tv for the rest of the season for less than what a whole season costs. I think they're down to like $30 at this point.

thanks.

I(heart)Freel
08-31-2010, 02:17 PM
They just released MLB.tv for the PlayStation. If you have a gaming system, it might be worth seeing if they offer something on that platform?

mdccclxix
08-31-2010, 02:39 PM
It is the best 120 bucks I spend every year. Two warnings though, sometimes the game isn't available, about 2-3 times a year, and Windows 7 doesn't allow live dvr function. That won't matter for you if you're watching it on the replay.

RBA
08-31-2010, 03:08 PM
I found if I use the other teams feed, I get a better stream (most of the time). I think MLB allocated bandwidth for feeds on past performance and the demand for Reds telecast are overtaxing that limit.

Will M
08-31-2010, 05:33 PM
i signed up & just watch the condensed game from Friday. pretty sweet.

one very weird issue. you must first register an account with MLB & then buy mlb.tv . when i tried to simply buy mlb.tv i kept getting error messages.

NJReds
08-31-2010, 05:46 PM
I bought it a couple weeks ago during a promo. $19.99 through the end of the season. I've been impressed with the picture quality.

Homer Bailey
01-26-2011, 01:14 AM
I've got a few 2011 MLB.tv related questions.

1. Will there be live video for Android this year? I know iPhone had it last year, and I've heard that even the audio app for android was garbage in 2010. Anyone know of any improvements?

2. Per this thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378535)on another message board, it would appear as if concurrent logins are allowed this year (or is this only for the special holiday offer?)? If so, is anyone interested in getting groupings together to purchase MLB.tv?

Captain Hook
01-26-2011, 01:32 AM
I've got a few 2011 MLB.tv related questions.

1. Will there be live video for Android this year? I know iPhone had it last year, and I've heard that even the audio app for android was garbage in 2010. Anyone know of any improvements?

2. Per this thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378535)on another message board, it would appear as if concurrent logins are allowed this year (or is this only for the special holiday offer?)? If so, is anyone interested in getting groupings together to purchase MLB.tv?

I have no idea about the app being available for Android but I doubt MLB will fail to capitalize on the growing market.I can tell you this, if the app does become available to you and it's anything like the iphone app, I'd highly recommend it.

One question I have.I've recently purchased the new Apple TV and really enjoy the new airplay feature.I can watch anything on my computer that I have in itunes and also all youtube content on my TV now.I've heard that there are going to be apps that will have the airplay feature.Has anyone heard if the MLB app will have this feature?It would be absolutely fantastic if it does.

Redsfan320
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Have all the MLB.tv packages been released yet, or just the Premium one? Also, is it possible to purchase MLB.tv for just one team?

Unassisted
01-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Have all the MLB.tv packages been released yet, or just the Premium one? Also, is it possible to purchase MLB.tv for just one team?
The front page at http://mlb.tv only talks about 2010 offseason packages, so it doesn't appear that they're actively marketing the 2011 season yet.

It has never been possible in any previous to purchase a single team package for mlb.tv.

Razor Shines
01-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I would highly recommend it for anyone that has a PS3. I used it last year and it was great. Pretty darn near HD quality.

George Anderson
01-26-2011, 12:21 PM
I would highly recommend it for anyone that has a PS3. I used it last year and it was great. Pretty darn near HD quality.

How does this work?? Does the MLB feed stream wireless through the PS3 or do you need a cord to do it? Also does it have to be a PS3? We have a Wii that can stream.

camisadelgolf
01-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Now that my favorite game is ruined as a result of hacking (thanks, GeoHot), I can find a use for my PS3 again.

Razor Shines
01-26-2011, 01:15 PM
How does this work?? Does the MLB feed stream wireless through the PS3 or do you need a cord to do it? Also does it have to be a PS3? We have a Wii that can stream.

The PS3 has an App for it. I don't know if the Wii has the app yet. But if you have a laptop you could pull up the app on your laptop and connect it to your TV with a HDMI cable. That's the way I used to do it and it worked great also.

Razor Shines
01-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Now that my favorite game is ruined as a result of hacking (thanks, GeoHot), I can find a use for my PS3 again.

Did you get your account blocked because of MW2?

kheidg-
01-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I used my PS3 last year almost exclusively to watch MLB.TV on it. There is an application that you load onto your PS3 then you sync your MLB account and it works.

The picture quality is okay, I wouldn't say HD quality.

I experienced issues a few times with wanting to wait about until the 3rd inning before I started the game - so I could fast forward through commercials until the end. Not sure if they have this fixed, but several times I would get to the end of the game (8th/9th inning) and it would stop loading. I would then need to wait until the posted the archive copy and then start it from there.

Razor Shines
01-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I used my PS3 last year almost exclusively to watch MLB.TV on it. There is an application that you load onto your PS3 then you sync your MLB account and it works.

The picture quality is okay, I wouldn't say HD quality.

I experienced issues a few times with wanting to wait about until the 3rd inning before I started the game - so I could fast forward through commercials until the end. Not sure if they have this fixed, but several times I would get to the end of the game (8th/9th inning) and it would stop loading. I would then need to wait until the posted the archive copy and then start it from there.

This is probably on a per user basis. The picture quality for me was very, very close to HD.

camisadelgolf
01-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Did you get your account blocked because of MW2?
No, I never bothered with jailbreaking my PS3. I still (try to) play MW2, but easily 70+% of the lobbies I enter (and I mostly play TDM and S&D) are hacker lobbies. It's really frustrating. I've been de-ranked five times already, even though I know I'm in a hacker lobby almost immediately upon entering.

Ghosts of 1990
01-26-2011, 03:01 PM

If I get it through the PS3, I'm guessing it's similar to NetFlix? I have no clue how to set it up initially. But if I purchase to use on my PS3 will I also be able to get it on my iPhone or just the PS3?

Razor Shines
01-26-2011, 03:33 PM
If I get it through the PS3, I'm guessing it's similar to NetFlix? I have no clue how to set it up initially. But if I purchase to use on my PS3 will I also be able to get it on my iPhone or just the PS3?

Yeah, it's just an app like Netflix. And yeah you can use it on both, but I think you still have to buy the iPhone app, the PS3 app is free but you have to have the MLB.TV Premium acct to use it.

reds44
01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
The PS3 application is great, but the delay is worse than it is on the computer. That can cause problems if you want to be in the game thread.

WVRedsFan
01-28-2011, 02:10 AM
I've tried all that stuff, but the DirecTV option is the best, if it's available to you. It's big money, of course, but a baseball fan cannot let that get in the way. I even subscribe to the At Bat program on my BlackBerry so I can stream it to my car (using Ford's Sync) so when I'm out on sales cars, I can hear the games. Yes, I'm an addict.

Root Down
02-02-2011, 09:05 AM
It's that time of year again, to figure out how best to watch the Reds. I won't be local this year so I'm going to have to watch on TV somehow. If I get mlb.tv can I watch the FSN Ohio feed for all of the games or will I get the feeds from the other teams on the away games? If anyone knows, that would be great!

pahster
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
It's that time of year again, to figure out how best to watch the Reds. I won't be local this year so I'm going to have to watch on TV somehow. If I get mlb.tv can I watch the FSN Ohio feed for all of the games or will I get the feeds from the other teams on the away games? If anyone knows, that would be great!

You can pick which feed you want to watch.

Jpup
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Make sure you are not in a blackout area or you will not be able to watch the Reds. If you are not in a blackout area the same rules apply as they do to the Extra Innings package. I would choose the EI if everything else was equal. I've had both.

Root Down
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
I probably will pick the EI if I can, I had a month of it last season on DirecTV and it was great! I'm moving to Texas for the duration of the season and don't know what options I will have. Glad to know I can pick the feed, thanks for the replies!

Jpup
02-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I probably will pick the EI if I can, I had a month of it last season on DirecTV and it was great! I'm moving to Texas for the duration of the season and don't know what options I will have. Glad to know I can pick the feed, thanks for the replies!

yeah, definitely DirecTV. You will also get MLB Network as well. I'll never switch as long as they don't change anything.

Root Down
02-02-2011, 11:26 AM
yeah, definitely DirecTV. You will also get MLB Network as well. I'll never switch as long as they don't change anything.

I'm with ya, I originally picked it up because of Sunday Ticket and have been very happy with the stations available. I currently live in NW Ohio and get FS Ohio (the Cincinnati version) which is different than what everyone else around here gets (all Cleveland and Columbus). It's been great because I got almost all of the Reds games in HD with no extra cost. This move is killing me, I'd love to see some of these games in person!

Jpup
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm with ya, I originally picked it up because of Sunday Ticket and have been very happy with the stations available. I currently live in NW Ohio and get FS Ohio (the Cincinnati version) which is different than what everyone else around here gets (all Cleveland and Columbus). It's been great because I got almost all of the Reds games in HD with no extra cost. This move is killing me, I'd love to see some of these games in person!

yeah, I get FSN Cincinnati as well. I get EI to watch games on the weekends and to watch west coast games DVR'd for the next morning. I usually watch all the Reds games live now. I use to have to watch them the next morning when I had MLB.tv before I had DirecTV because FSN Cincinnati was not available locally.

Unassisted
02-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm moving to Texas for the duration of the season and don't know what options I will have. Glad to know I can pick the feed, thanks for the replies!Here in Texas, you'll be blacked out on any MLB.TV game where the Reds play the Astros.

Root Down
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Here in Texas, you'll be blacked out on any MLB.TV game where the Reds play the Astros.

Does EI avoid blackout rules?

Homer Bailey
02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Regarding my questions about Android video this year, this is what I got:

Dear Chris:

Thank you for your inquiry.

There is a list of supported Android phones capable of live streaming video of the games. We will be adding more phone to the list of supported devices including the Incredible. The list is as follows:

Droid
Droid 2
Droid X
HTC Evo
Samsung Epic

If you have any further questions please feel free to call our Mobile Customer Support at 1-866-306-5311.

Sincerely,
MLB.com Customer Support

Sea Ray
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Does EI avoid blackout rules?

Nope

Unassisted
02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Does EI avoid blackout rules?I've only had EI briefly for a month when my cable company gave me a month for free for upgrading my service to digital, and I don't remember. :)

My guess, from the complaints at RedsZone in past seasons, is that it's subject to blackouts, too.

RBA
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I was using my Roku player last year. I am going to put that in the family room downstairs. We now have a new samsung blu-ray player with the MLB.tv app and that will be in the living room. And we just got a 47" LED LG from Frys for $599 for the bedroom that has the MLB app. So I think I am set. The HD on Directv is far superior than the 'hd' streaming, but the lower cost of the streaming will probably win out over the MLB Directv package.

Homer Bailey
02-09-2011, 01:43 PM
MLBtv hit the market today. Just got my tax return, so yeah, I already bought it.

edabbs44
02-09-2011, 02:16 PM
MLBtv hit the market today. Just got my tax return, so yeah, I already bought it.

Got your tax return from when?

Homer Bailey
02-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Got your tax return from when?

I meant my refund. Filed it a bit early this year.

RBA
02-09-2011, 02:44 PM

costs?

edabbs44
02-09-2011, 02:51 PM
I meant my refund. Filed it a bit early this year.

very early.

Homer Bailey
02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
costs?

$120. I'd love to hear what the rules are for multiple logins this year. I've heard they're allowed, but they may have just been for the "gift" one they offered back in December. If so, I wouldn't mind sharing accounts with some RZ'ers if we want to split up cost.

camisadelgolf
02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
$120. I'd love to hear what the rules are for multiple logins this year. I've heard they're allowed, but they may have just been for the "gift" one they offered back in December. If so, I wouldn't mind sharing accounts with some RZ'ers if we want to split up cost.
Basically, you can get away with it as long as no two people are trying to use the account at the same time.

15. Can I share my account with others?

No. Sharing of your username and password is strictly prohibited.

16. I am trying to access a game and I am getting an error message that I am already logged in on another computer, what should I do?

In rare cases, customers have forgotten to log out of their account on one computer and have tried to log in again on a separate computer. Since sharing of a single username and password is strictly prohibited and does not work, you will get an error message. If you receive such an error message, please contact Customer Support toll free in the U.S. at (866) 800-1275.

19. I tried to log in to view the game and received a message telling me that I have logged in too many times, or am logged in on multiple computers, what should I do?

First off, please make sure that other people are not using your account. If you have shared your account information with other people, then your account may be prevented from logging in. If you are worried that others are accessing your account, you should change your password under your account profile.

The best way to prevent this error from occurring is to log out of MLB.com every time you are finished watching games by clicking the Logout button on the top right of any MLB.com page. The next time that you would like to watch a game, click on the link to load the game, and it will prompt you to login before launching the game. If this message has already come up for you, and you are sure that no one else is using your account, log out of MLB.com, close all of your open browser windows and quit your browser, then re-launch your browser, and click on the game that you would like to watch, where you will be prompted to log in again.

Razor Shines
02-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Basically, you can get away with it as long as no two people are trying to use the account at the same time.

Hmmm...is that new? I let my two younger brothers use mine last year and there were many times when two of us were logged into our PS3s watching the game at the same time.

George Anderson
02-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Is their any advantage to paying $125 for MLBtv.com instead of paying $80 extra for the Directv MLB package?

camisadelgolf
02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Hmmm...is that new? I let my two younger brothers use mine last year and there were many times when two of us were logged into our PS3s watching the game at the same time.
I found that from a message board in 2009. It's probably not a coincidence that you weren't having problems while using your PS3.

hebroncougar
02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Is their any advantage to paying $125 for MLBtv.com instead of paying $80 extra for the Directv MLB package?

I'm trying to decide the same thing. I love the DTV package, but I'm not sure I can spend $80 for essientially the same thing. I have a PS 3, so I could watch it on there.

RBA
05-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Here's a tip if your video looks washout, contrast looks out of wack, diasable hardware acceleration in adobe flash player. Just right click in the video, click on settings, and in display uncheck the box. close video and relaunch. I was having this issue until I found the solution.

kheidg-
05-19-2012, 02:04 AM
I've been having rather good success this year on my PS3. About the only thing I use the system for.

Also have been impressed with the limited amount I've watched on my Android phone.

RBA
05-23-2012, 03:38 PM
$5.00 off MLB.tv premium referral link...

http://mlbtv.extole.com/a/clk/5WRyzL