PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of Buying A Billiard Table - SUGGESTIONS?

goreds2
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
I am planning on purchasing a USED pool table. It will be nothing fancy but just something for playing when friends come over. A friend of mine said I will not have to be concerned of it being a slate table because it will not be in a basement (damp environment). It will be on my house main floor off the dining room.

What is everyones take on it not having to be a slate table?

Note: My budget is kind of low ($300 - $500). I have been looking in the newspaper, Craigs List etc.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Highlifeman21
03-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Just make sure it's level.

I've played on too many tables at houses during the years that aren't even remotely level.

guttle11
03-30-2008, 11:44 PM
If you buy good felt, stretch it smooth and tight, and make it level, there's not a whole lot that can go wrong. I set up pool tables at a job I had a while back. There's not a whole lot to them.

George Foster
03-31-2008, 12:57 AM
I would not buy one without checking it out first.

The condition of the rails (dead or alive) and the felt is the most important thing to me.

You should be able to level any table up. It does not matter if the table is level or not if your floor that you are putting it on is not level. You can buy a 3foot x 3foot piece of plywood and cut out 4inch x4inch pieces and place it under the legs to level it up. Some legs might require more pieces.

A table with dead reals is worthless.

Hollcat
04-01-2008, 09:49 PM
A pool table in your dining room. Can't believe someone hasn't posted a picture of the Beverly Hillbillies eating at their pool table with the fancy pot passers.

goreds2
04-03-2008, 05:35 AM
I found a couple of tables on Craigs List that I may be looking at this weekend. They are only around $150. I know you only get what you pay for but if I find I use it lot, I will upgrade to a better one.

I know someone who paid thousands of dollars for one in which they used it alot at the beginning but now use it hardly at all. They regret it a lot.

Thanks for everyones input. If I buy one, I will post it.

goreds2
04-06-2008, 10:42 AM
I would not buy one without checking it out first.

The condition of the rails (dead or alive) and the felt is the most important thing to me.

A table with dead reals is worthless.

Thanks for that great advice! That is the first thing I tested upon buying a table this weekend.

I ended up buying one on Saturday via Craigs List. It is 6 foot 8 by 3 foot 8. Not a regulation but it is a nice fit for the room. Thanks for everyones advice. She wanted $150 but I bargened to $115. :beerme:

goreds2
04-08-2008, 12:05 AM
I would consider buying these billiard balls but they cost more than the pool table.
($189 :eek: )

You get 7 Cincy Reds billiard balls plus you would get 7 rivalry balls.

What rivalry team would you choose? I would go OLD SCHOOL and probably pick the Dodgers but I would consider the Cubs.

http://www.amazon.com/Cincinnati-Reds-Licensed-Billiard-Balls/dp/B0012MBBPS/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1207627024&sr=1-12

goreds2
04-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Last night, I bought a Bridge without the stick. Is there a special stick for this or do I just buy a cheap pool cue to install it in?
See picture. Thanks,

goreds2
05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
OMG! Look at these female professional pool players. I may start watching on TV. :)

http://www.jeanettelee.com/index.php

http://www.strikingviking.com/