PDA

View Full Version : Bret Boone Question

crazybob60
03-30-2008, 10:39 PM
I know that on the eve on such a grand day, I start a thread that is about a former Red, but I have a question not only about Boone but just in general about a player in which this would happen to, it just so happens that this happened to Bret and I am just curious the process and what happens next.

Remember over the offseason he signed a Minor League Contract I believe with the Washington Nationals. Well I believe he was doing ok, but then I checked the transactions one day and saw this little blurbed....

3/20/08 Released RHP John Patterson; Purchased the contract of LHP Odalis Perez; Placed RHP Shawn Hill on the 15-day disabled list with a sore right forearm; Placed OF Wily Mo Pena on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique strain; Placed RHP Ryan Wagner on the 15-day disabled list recovering from right shoulder surgery; Reassigned INF Bret Boone to Minor League camp.

(On a side note isn't it funny that the Reds-lite in just this little date of transaction, I believe there are 3 former Reds just for one day of transactions!!!)

But what exactly does it mean during Spring Training towards the end when you have signed a Minor League contract and then you get reassigned to Minor League camp. Does that mean Bret is going to stay in Florida/Arizona (wherever Washington has their Spring Training, which I am unaware of) or does he go to their AAA affiliate or what happens? And then how long does he stay there? And then what happens after that? Will the Nationals then make a decision to cut him, or send him to AAA or bring him up? What exactly is the process on this, not only for Bret but basically for anyone, but if you want to Bret as the example I think it would fit perfectly since I am not aware of how this process occurs and I am sure there are others out there that are in the dark, per say as well, unless I am the only one, which heck, I am not afraid to say I am if I am the only one...

So what exactly does happen?

Chip R
03-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I know that on the eve on such a grand day, I start a thread that is about a former Red, but I have a question not only about Boone but just in general about a player in which this would happen to, it just so happens that this happened to Bret and I am just curious the process and what happens next.

Remember over the offseason he signed a Minor League Contract I believe with the Washington Nationals. Well I believe he was doing ok, but then I checked the transactions one day and saw this little blurbed....

3/20/08 Released RHP John Patterson; Purchased the contract of LHP Odalis Perez; Placed RHP Shawn Hill on the 15-day disabled list with a sore right forearm; Placed OF Wily Mo Pena on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique strain; Placed RHP Ryan Wagner on the 15-day disabled list recovering from right shoulder surgery; Reassigned INF Bret Boone to Minor League camp.

(On a side note isn't it funny that the Reds-lite in just this little date of transaction, I believe there are 3 former Reds just for one day of transactions!!!)

But what exactly does it mean during Spring Training towards the end when you have signed a Minor League contract and then you get reassigned to Minor League camp. Does that mean Bret is going to stay in Florida/Arizona (wherever Washington has their Spring Training, which I am unaware of) or does he go to their AAA affiliate or what happens? And then how long does he stay there? And then what happens after that? Will the Nationals then make a decision to cut him, or send him to AAA or bring him up? What exactly is the process on this, not only for Bret but basically for anyone, but if you want to Bret as the example I think it would fit perfectly since I am not aware of how this process occurs and I am sure there are others out there that are in the dark, per say as well, unless I am the only one, which heck, I am not afraid to say I am if I am the only one...

So what exactly does happen?

I think you have the gist of it. Some players who sign minor league contracts get an invite to major league spring training like Bret or Patterson or Mercker. If you don't make the team you can be reassigned to minor league camp. Sometimes these players asked to be released so they can hook up with another team. Others stay with the team and are usually assigned to the AAA affiliate. Some of them have a deal that if they aren't called up by a certain time, they can be a free agent. I think that was the deal with Ron Villone back in 1999.

Heath
03-30-2008, 10:59 PM
If Bret Boone's the answer, I don't want to know the question.

Wheelhouse
03-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Body has probably had more drugs running through it than Hamilton's. No thanks.

crazybob60
03-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Oh, I wasn't saying by any means that we should go out and go after and sign Boonie, I was just asking the question of what happens when you get reassigned to minor league camp after you have signed a minor league contract. And Chip_R answered the question to a T. Many, many thanks there brother!