PDA

View Full Version : Coutlangus DFA

redhawk61
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
From the Reds:

Today the Reds placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to 3/21, RHP Matt Belisle (right forearm) and SS Alex Gonzalez (left knee) and, retroactive to yesterday, C David Ross (lower back); designated for assignment LHP Mike Stanton and LHP Jon Coutlangus; purchased the contracts of non-roster invitees C Paul Bako (#9), RHP Johnny Cueto (#47), RHP Mike Lincoln (#57), LHP Kent Mercker (#50) and OF Corey Patterson (#23)...another spot on the 40-man roster will be cleared after 1:00 p.m. today.

Personally I am ok with it. He wasn't going to be with the team for awhile and we have far better options growing in the farm that are equal to or better than him and some will make an impact this year.

Roenicke
Viola
Fisher
Herrera
Watson
Lutz

redlegsmustache
03-31-2008, 12:22 PM
I like Coutlangus. Hate to see him DFA, but I guess his stats last year hadn't helped him.

Rounding Third
03-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Still need 1 more spot cleared. Got just a half an hour left.

DannyB
03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
I like Coutlangus. Hate to see him DFA, but I guess his stats last year hadn't helped him.

It could be the Reds figure he was the best chance at not getting claimed.
I would rather have him than Merker tho.

DannyB
03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Still need 1 more spot cleared. Got just a half an hour left.

"Juan hows that shoulder?"

Rounding Third
03-31-2008, 12:40 PM

We aren't that lucky.

My money is on Hanigan

James B.
03-31-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't like this move. I would rather have him than Merker.

03-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Cooter was DFA's, not let go. I doubt anyone will claim him. All teams are trying to clear roster spots today, so this is the best day to DFA a player.
Even if he lost, which I doubt, he was pretty low on the depth chart, and the Reds have some good young lefty relievers coming up, Viola, Herrera, and Pellard.

redlegsmustache
03-31-2008, 03:01 PM

lol

I wouldn't mind him being cut.

Rounding Third
03-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Ritchie Gardner was claimed by the Brewers.

AmarilloRed
04-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Coutlangas was good against left-handers, and would have make a fine LOOGY out of the pen with better control. He has options left, so I imagine he will be picked up in waivers and a trade arranged. The only way this makes sense is if the Reds think there will be better options coming from AAA in the near future.

mlbfan30
04-01-2008, 04:08 AM
Coutlangas was good against left-handers, and would have make a fine LOOGY out of the pen with better control. He has options left, so I imagine he will be picked up in waivers and a trade arranged. The only way this makes sense is if the Reds think there will be better options coming from AAA in the near future.

Pellend Hopefully Then

roby
04-01-2008, 11:26 AM

They may feel that they have better options...but isn't it kind of strange to cut anyone who has potential talent. It's not like the Reds have always had an abundance of good pitching. This move just doesn't add up to me.

KySteveH
04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
There seemed to be quite a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth on the DFA of Coutlangus. I guess I never saw anything that really set him apart from a bucket of others inside and outside the Reds system.

What was so special about Coutlangus? Or do you think that this is more an issue of people in disagreement with how the 40-man is managed?

AmarilloRed
04-01-2008, 12:13 PM
There seemed to be quite a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth on the DFA of Coutlangus. I guess I never saw anything that really set him apart from a bucket of others inside and outside the Reds system.

What was so special about Coutlangus? Or do you think that this is more an issue of people in disagreement with how the 40-man is managed?

He did really well against left-handed hitters.

BEETTLEBUG
04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
True but he was not very good against Righties. He also Walked to many.

TheBigLebowski
04-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Surprising.....I strongly believe he'll be claimed.