PDA

View Full Version : When did we lose Opening Day?

BurgervilleBuck
03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Times were, the Reds were the first team each season to have an Opening Day. When did we lose that? I can guess why (dollars override respect for history) but I can't remember when.

Degenerate39
03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
I think I read in the ORG that the last time the Reds opened the season was in 1994.

BurgervilleBuck
03-31-2008, 04:39 PM
It's a shame. I loved having that first ever game of the season.

reds2221
03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
after that we had the national league opener for a bit, but we've lost that as well....

justincredible
03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Reds should definitely have the season opener every year. At the very least, it shouldn't be in another country.

Rounding Third
03-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Times were, the Reds were the first team each season to have an Opening Day. When did we lose that? I can guess why (dollars override respect for history) but I can't remember when.

Dollars can override baseball starting on this continent.

durl
04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
We lost it within 2 years of Selig becoming commissioner. Make of that what you will. :D

Grounds_Crew
04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
We lost it when Harrang gave up two homers yesterday! Just kidding...

Oxblood
04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
No one cares about tradition anymore, it's all about money. IMO history and tradition are what makes this the greatest sport of all, selig and co. would do well to remember that.

RSNtransplant
04-01-2008, 05:50 PM
We lost it when Harrang gave up two homers yesterday! Just kidding...

When I read the thread title, this was the type of comment I was hoping to read. Was the Harang homers the reason they lost?

BurgervilleBuck
04-02-2008, 01:26 PM
No one cares about tradition anymore, it's all about money. IMO history and tradition are what makes this the greatest sport of all, selig and co. would do well to remember that.

I'm in complete and utter agreement here. Very few sports respect their history.

freestyle55
04-02-2008, 02:22 PM
When I read the thread title, this was the type of comment I was hoping to read. Was the Harang homers the reason they lost?

The reason they lost is that Brandon Webb has a heck of a sinker...he's not the '06 Cy Young and '07 Runner up for no reason...

While Harang's HR's didn't help things, overall I don't think he looked that bad...

Burton's HR was a killer though...right when we were getting to the solid part of the bullpen (i.e. Burton-Weathers-Cordero), I kinda figured we would be pretty well off...

RSNtransplant
04-02-2008, 05:22 PM
The reason they lost is that Brandon Webb has a heck of a sinker...he's not the '06 Cy Young and '07 Runner up for no reason...

So it was a good loss, if there is such a thing. They aren't going to win 162, so they better win the ones they are supposed to win and it sounds like most teams would have lost to Webb. Heading to tonights game in a few minutes, hopefully the discussion can turn to why they won.