PDA

View Full Version : Volquez and Belisle updates...simulated games today (3/31)

Matt700wlw
03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Volquez, 7.2ip, 2h, 0r, 0bb, 13k, 93 pitches
Belisle, 6ip, 4h, 1er, 0bb, 2k, 63 pitches

cincrazy
03-31-2008, 04:33 PM
To quote Harry Caray... "HOLY COW!"

icehole3
03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
next start Saturday against the Phils

TRF
03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Belisle 63 pitches in 6 IP?

Volquez has the eyepopping K numbers today, but Belisle's numbers are are bullpen saviors too.

Highlifeman21
03-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Neither one walked anyone.

That's the big number to take away from their simmies.

pahster
03-31-2008, 07:38 PM
I wonder who they were pitching to.

red-in-la
03-31-2008, 07:43 PM

Basically high schoolers.

RedsManRick
03-31-2008, 07:51 PM

Well, Castro wasn't playing today...

Raisor
03-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Neither one walked anyone.

No sim-base cloggers!

TOBTTReds
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM

My guess is extended spring guys.

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow. I don't care who he faced, that is impressive. I think I may attend Saturday's game to watch Volquez make his Reds debut.

Reds1
03-31-2008, 11:37 PM
and why is Cueto pitching in front of him. I can't seem to figure this out. Maybe I"ll find out Thurs. :)

red-in-la
03-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Wow. I don't care who he faced, that is impressive. I think I may attend Saturday's game to watch Volquez make his Reds debut.

Chris Welch commented today that none of the guys left to face down there would ever even see A ball.

So, I would be pretty upset actually, about Belisle's line. Volquez is OK I guess......my opinion would just be to be happy that he got his work in.

If ST stats mean nothing, then these stats aren't even stats.

Screwball
04-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Chris Welch commented today that none of the guys left to face down there would ever even see A ball.

So, I would be pretty upset actually, about Belisle's line. Volquez is OK I guess......my opinion would just be to be happy that he got his work in.

You're right about the players, but Volquez utterly dominated. It's always a good thing when your pitcher dominates. As for Belisle, the lack of strikeouts is suspect, but other than that he he seems to have had good control and was pretty efficient. It doesn't inspire the same confidence as Volquez's start, but I'm not gonna kick the dog over it.

remdog
04-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Volquez is OK I guess....

Yeah....no one here would think you would let your man love for Josh Hamilton get in the way of an objective opinion on Edinson Volquez. :rolleyes:

Rem

fearofpopvol1
04-01-2008, 02:53 AM
What is so intriguing to me about Volquez is that prior to spring training this year, he's had control issues or questionable control with the amount of walks allowed. It's seemed that he has all but eliminated that, at least thus far. We'll see in due time if this is a mirage or not, but it appears that it's not.

RedlegJake
04-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Sometimes the light just goes on. Let's hope it has for Volquez because he has the stuff to be special if he has command. Or maybe Soto has gotten into his head and he's starting to trust his stuff instead of nibbling?

fearofpopvol1
04-01-2008, 03:13 AM
He's always had the stuff as you've said, but the command is interesting. I'm really curious to see how he fairs when it counts.

RedlegJake
04-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Yes, I'm looking forward to it. Cueto, too. Its one thing to dominate in spring -if both can get good starts in their first "real" outings I think it'll help their confidence and keep em rolling. Both are gonna have rough days -I just don't want it to be right off the bat.

TOBTTReds
04-01-2008, 12:16 PM

No one in extended spring ever sees A ball??? Ha.

remdog
04-01-2008, 01:22 PM
I heard Welsh say that too and I also thought it was a strange comment. Why, sitting right next to Welsh at the time was George Grand! And George had to know that his favorite player, Jim Edmonds, has already been announced as the Opening Day CF for the Lake Elsinor Storm! :lol:

Rem

Stormy
04-01-2008, 01:39 PM
What is so intriguing to me about Volquez is that prior to spring training this year, he's had control issues or questionable control with the amount of walks allowed. It's seemed that he has all but eliminated that, at least thus far. We'll see in due time if this is a mirage or not, but it appears that it's not.

Exactly. When we acquired him, control issues were the primary obstacle he had to overcome (refining his tertiary pitch being the distant runner-up). Coming out of the gate, he's showed serious signs of harnessing his stuff... and that is some electric young arm. As a Reds fan, it's surreal feeling so enthusiastic about the present and future of our rotation, and so perplexed about the usage/design of our offense (not to mention our defense).

Cueto and Volquez are going to be a lot of fun to watch develop (and I LOVE having Soto mentoring them).

OnBaseMachine
04-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Exactly. When we acquired him, control issues were the primary obstacle he had to overcome (refining his tertiary pitch being the distant runner-up). Coming out of the gate, he's showed serious signs of harnessing his stuff... and that is some electric young arm. As a Reds fan, it's surreal feeling so enthusiastic about the present and future of our rotation, and so perplexed about the usage/design of our offense (not to mention our defense).

Cueto and Volquez are going to be a lot of fun to watch develop (and I LOVE having Soto mentoring them).

I've said this before, but I think the Hamilton-for-Volquez deal is going to go down as Wayne Krivksy's best move, and one of the better moves the Reds organization has made in a long time. And I am a huge, huge fan of Josh Hamilton so that tells you how much I like Edinson Volquez. With his fastball and changeup (and apparently his curveball is progressing along very nicely), this kid can a top-of-rotation starter for a long time. You throw in Johnny Cueto and eventually Homer Bailey next year and this rotation has the makings of being among the best in baseball for many years. This is the most excited I've been as a Reds fan in a long time.

And for the first time in a while the farm system is ready to start producing some relievers so that Krivsky can stop signing guys like Stanton and Cormier to bad contracts. Josh Roenicke, Pedro Viola, and Carlos Fisher all have the stuff to be above average to great relievers sometime in the next year or two. Add in Francisco Cordero, Jared Burton (whom I still like), and Bill Bray and this bullpen could finally start looking like a playoff caliber bullpen.

TRF
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM

Belisle is still building up his pitch count. Regardless of the talent level, 63 pitches in 6 ip is pitch efficient. I'll be clamoring for him as soon as Friday. That's when Fogg pitches right?