PDA

View Full Version : Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Pages : 1 [2]

BRM
04-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Champaign Central guard Verdell Jones remains one of the top uncommitted seniors guards in the country and his recruitment may come to a close very soon. Jones’ recruiting picture will materialize within the next few weeks amidst visits and a contact period with coaches.

This 6-4 guard clearly has a high ceiling with his long and lanky mold, and a good feel for the game. A number of high level programs have given Jones looks at some point in time, and yet three new schools have contacted him. “Indiana, Arizona, and Georgetown recently got involved,” said Jones. “Georgetown needs a point guard, and Arizona and Indiana both just need a guard. Both Indiana and Georgetown have offered, Arizona has not,” Jones added.

Former Marquette Coach Tom Crean was recently hired at Indiana, and a relationship is forging between Jones and the new Hoosier coach. “I talked with Crean a little bit when he was at Marquette, but mostly to Coach Buckley the head assistant,” Jones stated. “He (Crean) called when he got the Indiana job and just said they want me to be a Hoosier and are excited about me coming on a visit Friday.”

Indiana in the midst of an NCAA rules violation from their former coach Kelvin Sampson, and a potential penalty could include a temporary post season ban. “Yeah that worries me a little…an athlete chooses a school for the possibility to play in the tourney and have a chance for a national championship.”

With these new schools getting involved, is Jones scratching off the old schools on his list? Hardly. “Minnesota and Kentucky are at the top of my list. They have been there the whole time and have shown me the most interest. I have to take my other visits still and sort all my options.”

Jones went on to say that playing time, style of play, conference, and coach will all play a role in his decision. "Ill probably decide in about two weeks,” he added.

http://illinoishsbasketball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=675&Itemid=93

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Minnesota and Kentucky in the same recruiting battle. Wow.

BRM
04-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Minnesota and Kentucky in the same recruiting battle. Wow.

I thought that was pretty interesting as well.

Another interesting tidbit concerning Armon Bassett and his status, courtesy of the HT blog.

Meanwhile, Bennie Seltzer had a 20-minute conversation with Armon Bassett, the point guard who is still trying to work his way back onto the team after being kicked off by Dan Dakich. Bassett was very loyal to Sampson; Seltzer has a long history with Sampson. He played for him at Washington State, then coached with him for nine years at Oklahoma. When Sampson came to IU, Seltzer went to Marquette. Now, two years later and after so much trouble for his mentor, Seltzer finds himself in Bloomington.

Crean has not said what, if anything, Bassett could do to rejoin the team. But obviously, the two sides are having discussion and there seems to be a possibility that something will be resolved soon.

WMR
04-11-2008, 12:17 PM
He's been recruiting himself to UK more than UK has been recruiting him. UK has not been after him hard at all.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:18 PM
He's been recruiting himself to UK more than UK has been recruiting him. UK has not been after him hard at all.

That's interesting. He makes it sound like they've been recruiting him hard for a long time.

WMR
04-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Exactly. One thing I've really learned since I've started following recruiting much more closely is how recruits lie all the time and love to embellish what schools are "after them."

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
That's interesting. He makes it sound like they've been recruiting him hard for a long time.

Gillispie went to see him play twice last month.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/labels/Verdell%20Jones.html

I'd say they're a little hotter after him now that overrated Hopson is going to UT.

WMR
04-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Since I never called or implied that Hopson was overrated, I'll assume those are your thoughts on him.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:28 PM
C'mon Dab, Hopson isn't overrated. He's just a poor fit at UK. ;)

Sounds like the kid wants to play for UK, based on his comments. That's my "reading between the lines".

WMR
04-11-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't believe UK has offered yet. If they had, I think he would accept immediately.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:31 PM
They may not have Wily. The article only mentions offers from IU and Georgetown.

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Since I never called or implied that Hopson was overrated, I'll assume those are your thoughts on him.

Touchy, touchy.

Besides, how would I know if he's overrated or not? I've never seen him play.

WMR
04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Touchy, touchy.

Besides, how would I know if he's overrated or not? I've never seen him play.

You're always testing me, what am I supposed to do?!?! :lol:

I watched him in the McD's AA game. Kid has got offensive game.

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 12:44 PM
You're always testing me, what am I supposed to do?!?! :lol:

I watched him in the McD's AA game. Kid has got offensive game.

Testing you? Was my comment above directed at you? No... I like the fact you're on alert though. :D

So he looked good in the MickeyD's game, eh? I'd look good with no one guarding me also. Maybe he is overrated... :p:

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
He doesn't like to play defense, or so I've heard. That's why he chose Pearl over Gillispie, or so I've heard. Bruce won't make him play defense, or so I've heard.

WMR
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I think we all know who the "overrated" buzz word is aimed at in these threads.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I think we all know who the "overrated" buzz word is aimed at in these threads.

I have no idea...

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I have no idea...

The head coach of the Kentu..... errrrr..... some school that borders Ohio.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Jordan Crawford and Brandon McGee were working out with strength coach Jeff Watkinson yesterday. Hopefully that means they both decided to stay. Still no word on Eli Holman's decision.

WMR
04-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Would they be allowed to wait until they find out what sanctions IU will face before deciding?

BRM
04-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Would they be allowed to wait until they find out what sanctions IU will face before deciding?

I guess they could wait until the summer to decide.

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I guess they could wait until the summer to decide.

I'd say it's whenever they have to be enrolled at another school.

BRM
04-11-2008, 01:16 PM
I'd say it's whenever they have to be enrolled at another school.

When is that, typically?

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
When is that, typically?

Depends on the school...

But for athletes, I'd say right at the start of the semester/quarter.

BRM
04-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Depends on the school...

But for athletes, I'd say right at the start of the semester/quarter.

So they would have until August, theoretically.

BRM
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
McCallum is taking the Detroit Mercy job.

Former Indiana assistant Ray McCallum will be announced as the new coach at the Detroit Mercy today.

McCallum, who has head coaching experience at Ball State and Houston, came to Indiana along with Kelvin Sampson two years ago. But it was well known that he wanted a head coaching job and was waiting for the right opportunity to come along; he turned down Indiana State last year.

It appears as though McCallum never sought a spot on Tom Crean’s staff. He had been mentioned as a possible replacement for Stan Joplin at Toledo, and many MAC people pushed hard for his return to the conference (Joplin, by the way, has been mentioned as a possible Crean assistant on the message boards but won’t be, according to sources).

McCallum leaving is a huge blow to the Bloomington North program. Ray McCallum Jr. was quickly developing into one of the top players in the state. He’s a high Division I prospect at point guard.

The Titans play in the Horizon League and are probably best known for being the place where the loudest college hoops fan of them all, Dick Vitale, coached in the 1970s.

Herald-Times (http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/)

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 02:11 PM
McCallum is taking the Detroit Mercy job.

Herald-Times (http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/)

Death.

BRM
04-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Death.

I was a bit surprised by it. I thought he would end up with a little better gig.

BRM
04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
From the CJ yesterday. I like what Crean is doing.

Tom Crean's first day of individual workouts with his depleted Indiana University men's basketball team last week was attended by four players. You might say it wasn't much to look at, except Crean found something.

The new coach stood with Jordan Crawford, Brandon McGee, Kyle Taber and walk-on Brett Finkelmeier at midcourt in Assembly Hall. He pointed at the five national championship banners hanging high in the south end.

"Every day when you walk in, before you get a ball, before you get a drink, before you start shooting, just glance at them," said Crean, hired April 1 after Kelvin Sampson resigned under pressure of NCAA recruiting violations. "It may sound goofy, but just glance at them because that's what we're living up to. That's the standard of the program."

"I'm going to do that every day. I don't know when we're going up there. We'll get to that point, but every day when you walk in, you look at those banners."

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 10:51 AM
From the CJ yesterday. I like what Crean is doing.

Did he have the dust professionally cleaned off of them, BRM? :D :D :D

BRM
04-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Did he have the dust professionally cleaned off of them, BRM? :D :D :D

Starting the week off right, huh Dab? :thumbdown

How was your weekend, buddy?

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Starting the week off right, huh Dab? :thumbdown

How was your weekend, buddy?

I'm an equal-opportunity offender. Give me a program and I'll find a way to bust em down a few notches. Except maybe Kansas... 2nd tier program that they are. ;)

BRM
04-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, it's hard to bust on a low-tier, sorry program like KU.

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, it's hard to bust on a low-tier, sorry program like KU.

Final 4 appearances:
KU: 13
UK:13

:D:D:D

BRM
04-14-2008, 12:02 PM
It's all about the Championships, man. You know that. ;)

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 12:07 PM
It's all about the Championships, man. You know that. ;)

If you include the old Helms Foundation deal as a national title, here are the rankings:

1 UCLA 11
2 Kentucky 9
3T Indiana 5
3T Kansas 5
3T N. Carolina 5

:D

BRM
04-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Outside of this year though, all of KU's are old. IU's are too. That's why those two programs are second rate.

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Outside of this year though, all of KU's are old. IU's are too. That's why those two programs are second rate.

Here's something for you... this year's college freshmen were born in 1989-90(if my math is right). So looking at what the "elite" programs have done in those 19 years... call it "relevant tradition," if you will:

IU:
National champs: 0
Final 4: 2
NCAA Appearances: 17
Conference championships: 3

UCLA:
National champs: 1
Final 4: 4
NCAA Appearances: 16 (17 really, but 1999 was vacated by the NCAA)
Conference championships: 7

UNC:
Final 4: 8
Conference championships: 6

Kansas:
Final 4: 5
NCAA Appearances: 19
Conference championships: 13

Kentucky:
National champs: 2
Final 4: 4

Duke:
National champs: 3
Final 4: 7
NCAA Appearances: 18

BRM
04-14-2008, 12:38 PM
That is interesting stuff. IU has been able to get to the Dance almost every year. They just rarely do anything when they get there. Duke and UNC leading the way, as always.

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
That is interesting stuff. IU has been able to get to the Dance almost every year. They just rarely do anything when they get there. Duke and UNC leading the way, as always.

I'm impressed with Kansas winning 13/19 conference championships. That's pretty awesome, regardless of what conference you're in.

WMR
04-14-2008, 12:45 PM
If you include the old Helms Foundation deal as a national title, here are the rankings:

1 UCLA 11
2 Kentucky 9
3T Indiana 5
3T Kansas 5
3T N. Carolina 5
T for last: Vanderbilt???
:D

WMR
04-14-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm impressed with Kansas winning 13/19 conference championships. That's pretty awesome, regardless of what conference you're in.

Are you going by regular season or by conference tourney?

BRM
04-14-2008, 12:47 PM

I agree. They have simply dominated the Big 12.

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Are you going by regular season or by conference tourney?

That's regular season.

I couldn't find conference tourney results for all the teams I included, so I left it out. Besdies, I'm not too much into putting all that much weight on what a team does in one weekend.

BRM
04-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Nick Williams is reportedly interested in coming to IU. He was originally committed to Marquette but was released from his LOI after Crean left. He is Alabama's 6A player of the year.

dabvu2498
04-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Nick Williams is reportedly interested in coming to IU. He was originally committed to Marquette but was released from his LOI after Crean left. He is Alabama's 6A player of the year.

How'd he get away from Mike Davis? :D

WMR
04-15-2008, 03:49 PM
How'd he get away from Mike Davis? :D

At top speed?

BRM
04-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Arkansas and Indiana are his top two, apparently.

BRM
04-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Mor recruiting news for the Hoosiers - Bobby Capobianco has given a verbal commitment to the Hoosiers. IU now has two 2009 commitments, Derek Elston and Capobianco.

On the Josh Harrellson front, the Herald-Times has this:

Harrellson was first contacted by new Indiana coach Tom Crean “about a week or so ago,” and said the two had a very good conversation and got to know each other.

“I’d like to visit,” he said. “When you think of Indiana, you think basketball. It’s a great place with a lot of history. One thing that is really important to me getting to play immediately. I definitely wouldn’t mind playing there.”We got to know each other a bit, and I found him really down to earth,” Harrellson said of his talk with Crean. “He talked to me a lot about what Indiana is all about, what he’s learning and the kind of kids he wants to play there.”

According to a report from The Louisville Courier-Journal’s Jody Demling, Kentucky head man Billy Gillespie recently visited an open gym Harrellson was playing in. Purdue’s Matt Painter and Minnesota’s Tubby Smith were also seen around the school.

BRM
04-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Crean picked up his second commitment (first for the '08 class) in JUCO guard Devan Dumes.

From Terry Hutchens:

Devan Dumes had many scholarship offers and had planned to visit Ohio State.

But when Indiana University basketball coach Tom Crean and Indiana got involved in the recruiting process, the former Decatur Central High School and current Vincennes University player couldn't say no.

Late Saturday, after canceling his Ohio State visit and making an unofficial trip to IU, Dumes (pronounced Doom-us) gave Crean an oral commitment to play for the Hoosiers next season. The 6-2 shooting guard will sign a national letter of intent Tuesday night at a news conference at the Wheeler Boys and Girls Club in Indianapolis.

He becomes the third member of IU's Class of 2008 -- and Crean's first '08 recruit -- joining Tom Pritchard and Matt Roth. Last week, Crean received a commitment for the 2009 class from Bobby Capobianco, Loveland, Ohio.

"I just think the whole thing turned out to be a blessing really,'' Dumes said. "Right after coach Crean got the job, some people that I knew got in touch with him, and we got him some tape, and things just progressed very quickly from there.

"I just really liked his approach. He's someone who is a very straightforward person, someone who is going to make you work hard and someone who will help make you the best player you can be.''

Dumes, 20, spent last season at Vincennes, where he averaged 16.9 points per game and set a school record for 3-pointers with 109 in 273 attempts (39.9 percent). As a freshman at Eastern Michigan, he averaged nearly 20 minutes per game and was the fourth leading scorer at 8.1 points per game. In an early season game against Crean's Marquette team, Dumes scored 16 points.

"I think he remembered that,'' Dumes said with a laugh.

Dumes was a first-team All-Marion County selection as a senior in 2006 after averaging 24.4 points and leading his team to a sectional title.

Prior to Crean's interest, Dumes had never been recruited by IU. He said when Crean showed interest he knew he wanted to play for the Hoosiers.

"I think every kid who grows up in this area thinks about what it would be like to play at Indiana,'' Dumes said. "I can't wait.''

dabvu2498
04-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd not heard that Bobby Capobianco committed.

I've seen him once. He'll have to get a bit better to compete in the Big 10, IMHO.

Not that he's a bad player at all. Just think IU might be a bit of a stretch.

BRM
04-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Here's what the HT Blog had to say about Capobianco.

Capobianco is a rambunctious player with a good feel for playing in the paint. He’s already accustomed to playing the role he’ll have in college — as the guy creating havoc under the net and not so much worrying about that last number on the state line, points — because he plays that way for his Bloomington-based Indiana Elite team. He’s a solid rebounder and defender who is filling out and learning to control his body. I think last year he was a little lost on a really talented team; I expect him to climb the rankings during the AAU season.

St. Louis and West Virginia were the only other "major" programs high on him from what I've read. Other than Marquette when Crean was there.

dabvu2498
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Here's what the HT Blog had to say about Capobianco.

Sounds like what I saw from him.

I also would have never guessed Ryan Childress would have ever seen the floor at Tennessee. But you know Bruce Pearl and developing players... :D

Maybe Coach Overra... errr... Crean can turn Capobianco into the same type of player.

BRM
04-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Pearl only develops players on the offensive end...or so I've heard. ;)

BRM
04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Nick Williams has committed to Indiana.

:party:

redsfanmia
04-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Nick Williams has committed to Indiana.

:party:

Tell me more about him.

Revering4Blue
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Williams Ready to Help Right Away

By John Decker

Posted Apr 21, 2008

Bloomington – Tom Crean is in need of some recruits who can step in and play right away, and he’s likely found one in Nick Williams. Williams will bring a 7'0" wing span, and the ability to play both inside and out according

to his prep coach, Otis Hughley...

The 6-5, 200-pound Mobile (Ala.) LeFlore H.S. standout committed to Indiana Monday, signing a Big Ten tender to play in Bloomington starting in the fall. He picked the Hoosiers over Arkansas shortly after returning home from an official visit to the Razorbacks’ program this weekend.

He’ll arrive on Bloomington’s campus ready to play right away, according to LeFlore H.S. coach Otis Hughley.

“He had a several places talking to him about playing early, in the ACC, the SEC, and at Marquette he was going to play early,” Hughley said Monday. “There wasn’t a place he was thinking about that he wouldn’t have played right away.

“I’ll tell you this, if anybody is ready to play right away, he is.”

Scout.com’s 32nd ranked shooting guard nationally, Williams averaged 21 points and seven rebounds this past season while playing alongside top-10 ’09 big man Demarcus Cousins. LeFlore went 30-3 this season, was ranked in the nation’s top 20, and advanced to the Class 6A state tournament semifinals.

The arrival of Cousins last fall was big for Williams because it allowed him to move to the perimeter. Hughley said Williams had been used in the post for his first three seasons because he has a 7’0” wing span and was easily the team’s best scorer in the paint, but Cousins’ presence allowed him to move to the wing.

Now, he’ll head to Bloomington as a proven scorer inside and out, and someone who should be a big part of the Hoosiers’ rotation next fall.

“They’re getting a Dwyane Wade-type,” said Hughley. “He’s a different kind of player (than Wade), but he might be better at this age than Dwyane was.

”He’s someone you can play wherever you need him. He’s one of those guys you just have to put on the floor. He’s long, rangy, and can score in a number of ways. He’s really versatile.”

While that versatility undoubtedly caught Crean’s eye, Williams’ personality likely did as well, according to Hughley.

“He has a Greg Oden-type personality,” Hughley said. “If you don’t like Nick, you don’t like anybody. He’s a great, great kid. Not a good kid, a great kid. He comes from a great family and you can just tell he’s been loved his whole life.”

He’s also a great addition to IU’s ’08 class which has doubled in the last two days. Over the weekend Vincennes (Ind.) J.C. guard Devan Hughes committed as well, joining fall signees Matt Roth and Tom Pritchard in the Hoosiers incoming class.

Williams originally pledged to Crean nearly two years ago when he was coaching at Marquette, and ultimately followed Crean to Bloomington after he was named as Kelvin Sampson’s replacement last month. While he had plenty of quality options, Hughley said Crean made the sort of impression that others couldn’t overcome.

“Nick really liked the way (Crean) develops players,” Hughley said. “He likes the way he’ll play young guys right away. He did a really good job with Nick. There are a lot of guys that do a good job, but (Crean) out-worked everybody and showed the most interest initially and Nick hasn’t forgotten that.”

That’s good news for the Hoosiers, who are getting one of those hard-to-find impact players in the late signing period, and someone who should continue to blossom over the next four years.

“Coach Crean has great ideas about how to play Nick, and he also understands how much better this kid is going to get,” Hughley said.

http://indiana.scout.com/2/748404.html

:thumbup:

Razor Shines
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Tell me more about him.

He's a 6'4" guard from Alabama. He's very athletic, but doesn't shoot very well. Rivals.com has him ranked as a 5.7 in their ranking system. Which is:

# 6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect

# 6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

# 5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

# 5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player

# 4.9 Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about

BRM
04-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Here's more on Nick Williams.

Bloomington, Indiana - Indiana University men’s basketball coach Tom Crean has announced that Nick Williams, a 6-5, 205-lb. combo guard from LeFlore High School in Mobile, Alabama has signed a Big Ten Tender of Athletic Financial Aid to attend IU and play basketball for the Hoosiers beginning next fall. He was named Alabama High School Player of the Year earlier this spring.

“Nick really addresses a need for us and gives us a big, strong presence in the backcourt,” said Crean. “He is a winner who is tough and physical and he boasts a work ethic that has helped him improve his game in a variety of ways each year. He has done a wonderful job at making the transition as a perimeter player after beginning his career as an inside performer. He comes from an outstanding high school program and has been well coached throughout his career.”

Williams chose Indiana over Arkansas, Kansas State, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech and Alabama. He had originally signed a national letter of intent with Marquette earlier this fall, but was let out of his commitment when Coach Crean took over the IU program.

D.J. White helped pursuade Nick to go to IU. Per the Indy Star:

Call it the Alabama connection, but just before Nick Williams decided to sign to play basketball for Indiana University, he received a call from D.J. White.

White is from Tuscaloosa, Ala., and Williams is from Mobile.

"When D.J. called me, he told me about the fans at Indiana and how crazy they are about their basketball," said Williams, who will compete for a starting guard spot next season. "He told me there really couldn't be any place else that I would rather want to play than Indiana."

That advice, and a strong feeling for IU coach Tom Crean and assistant Benny Seltzer -- another Alabama connection who hails from Birmingham -- convinced Williams to sign, though he had never seen the campus. He will make an unofficial visit in the next two weeks.

BRM
04-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Indiana has made an offer to Maurice Sutton.

Maurice Sutton to Indiana University?

Well, it's definitely a possibility now that new Hoosiers' assistant coach Tim Buckley has made a visit to see the Upper Marlboro (Md.) Largo center and that IU has made him an official offer.

The 6-foot-10 Sutton just told me that the Hoosiers made contact on Monday and Buckley came to visit, extending an offer, on Tuesday.

"It's something I will consider that's for sure," Sutton said. "It's Indiana."
Sutton played in the Kentucky Derby Festival game last weekend and scored 17 points. He made an unofficial visit to Kentucky on Sunday. But UK coach Billy Gillispie told Sutton there wasn't a scholarship available at this time, but to "be patient."

Already making a visit to Boston College, Sutton will visit Seton Hall this weekend and said there's a good chance a trip to Bloomington is coming in the next few weeks.

"I know it's a basketball city," Sutton said. "I know it's a great program, a lot of history and they have a couple of championships. I'm going to try and learn some more."

New IU coach Tom Crean had been recruiting Sutton when he was at Marquette and Sutton said the relationship with Crean is "most definitely" why he's going to take a serious look at IU.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

Hoosier Red
04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Sutton would be for 2008 correct?

BRM
04-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Sutton would be for 2008 correct?

That's correct.

BRM
04-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Here's more on Sutton from ITH (http://www.insidethehall.com/).

Ironically, I was just discussing Sutton on Monday night with a scout that has followed him relatively closely and I got the impression that he’s a major work in progress. He’s 6-10, but said to be very raw and unlikely to be an immediate contributor. With the lack of interior depth currently on board for next season, Tom Crean and staff are likely looking at any and all options to fill voids on the roster.

Sutton is said to be considering Kentucky, Boston College, Villanova, Syracuse and Seton Hall. Only Boston College has extended an offer to this point.

WMR
04-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Those who saw Sutton at the Derby Classic this past weekend said he looked pretty bad.

BTW: From everything that I'm hearing, Billy G probably wouldn't be able to finish the words "Sutton you have a scholarship offer" before he'd say "I accept."

BRM
04-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Some tidbits from the latest Tom Crean interview, courtesy of the Hoosier Scoop (http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/).

– Crean will have his third assistant in place by next week. He’s also completing the rest of his staff, bringing in a mix of people from Marquette and others he has known through the years. With the current situation at Indiana, he’s putting a premium on hiring guys that he already has a working relationship with. He needs to be able to trust them.

– Crean is recruiting as if Indiana will not lose any more scholarships due to the APR. Grades are still at the top of his priorities but he seems hopeful that, one way or another, the program will avoid the punishment of losing grants.

– No real update on Armon Bassett or Jamarcus Ellis. Both players have made it known that they’d like to return, but Crean is waiting on grades before he makes any decision on the team. Many of the players still listed on the roster are in this sort of limbo, it seems. Crean wants to see that they did what they needed to do in the classroom.

– IU has has been hosting unofficial visits almost every single day. A player was scheduled to show up after we left, in fact. Right now, the players are mostly from the 2008 and 09 classes, but a few 2010 players have shown up and the staff has invited 2011 guys.

– Indiana’s schedule is pretty much in place, with only a few games remaining to be figured out. The Hoosiers already play a tough slate of non-conference games away from Assembly Hall (Maui Invitational, at Kentucky, at Wake Forest) but there’s the possibility of a neutral site game being played at the new Lucas Oil Stadium.

– Crean had no reservations bringing Bennie Seltzer, a Kelvin Sampson disciple, with him from Marquette. “I know Bennie,” he said. “I’ve worked with Bennie.” Seltzer was not sited by the NCAA in any wrong-doing at Oklahoma. He spent most of his time working with the team, not recruiting, Crean said.

Full interview can be found on Hutchen's Indy Star blog (http://blogs.indystar.com/hoosiersinsider/).

BRM
04-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Hoosier Scoop has an Armon Bassett update.

A person with direct knowledge of the situation told me today that Armon Bassett is still hoping to stay at IU and play basketball. He expects to hear something this week about his status with the team. As we’ve been reporting, it appears as though his grades will have a major impact on whether he’s reinstated.

There have been reports on some message boards that Bassett has decided to leave Indiana and transfer to a nearby school. One report said he has already visited Cincinnati.

But I know his desire is still to play for the Hoosiers next year.

fearofpopvol1
05-01-2008, 11:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3377706

dabvu2498
05-02-2008, 07:59 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3377706

Is everyone Sampson recruited dysfunctional in some way?

BRM
05-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Is everyone Sampson recruited dysfunctional in some way?

It certainly looks that way, doesn't it? I really hope IU fans are patient with Crean. It is going to take awhile to turn around the train wreck Sampson left behind.

Chip R
05-02-2008, 09:33 AM
IU should be put on probation just for being stupid enough to hire Sampson in the first place.

dabvu2498
05-02-2008, 09:44 AM
It certainly looks that way, doesn't it? I really hope IU fans are patient with Crean. It is going to take awhile to turn around the train wreck Sampson left behind.

As overrated as he is, I'm sure they won't. ;)

cumberlandreds
05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I wonder if Crean threatened to take his cell phone away? ;)

BRM
05-02-2008, 10:14 AM
As overrated as he is, I'm sure they won't. ;)

Well, he won't be able to turn it around anyway since he's so overrated. So I guess it really doesn't matter.

flyer85
05-02-2008, 02:02 PM
looks like evryone is gone ... or at least most of them

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3378521

Bassett, Ellis, Thomas, Holman all leaving Hoosier program

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
May 2, 2008, 1:10 PM ET

New Indiana coach Tom Crean will be down to three returning scholarship players and eight players in all for next season once the school officially announces the departures of four Hoosiers later Friday afternoon, a high-ranking Indiana source told ESPN.com.

Sophomore Armon Bassett and junior Jamarcus Ellis, who had appealed their suspensions by former interim coach Dan Dakich, were dismissed from the program. Junior forward DeAndre Thomas will also not return and neither will freshman Eli Holman, who has elected to transfer after a meeting Thursday that required a call to campus police when Holman became agitated.

The Hoosiers finished 25-7 (14-4 in the Big Ten) and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Arkansas under Dakich. He replaced Kelvin Sampson after Sampson resigned in late February, a week after receiving a notice of allegations from the NCAA.

According to a number of NBA sources, Sampson could end up on Scott Skiles' staff with the Milwaukee Bucks next season.

Indiana lost freshman Eric Gordon to the NBA draft when he declared and signed with an agent and seniors D.J. White and Lance Stemler had exhausted their eligibility.

That leaves the Hoosiers with three returning players: rising sophomores Jordan Crawford, Brandon McGee and rising senior Kyle Taber. The Hoosiers will add five newcomers -- freshmen Nick Williams (a one-time Marquette signee), Tom Pritchard, Matt Roth and JC transfer Devon Dumes -- as well as recruited walk-on Daniel Moore of Carmel, Ind.

Bassett and Ellis appealed their suspensions and, after Crean spent time with the pair, there was still not enough support to reinstate them. Thomas was deemed not a good fit.

"Before you build a team, you need to develop a family," Crean said in a statement Friday. "We will go through the learning process, feel some growing pains and experience some bumps in the road along the way. We need the Hoosier Nation to rally around this program as we go through these stages."

Meanwhile, Holman's outburst Thursday upon telling Crean that he was leaving is considered closed. According to the source, Holman became agitated once Crean told Holman of the process for transferring. The source said Holman was yelling and stormed out of Crean's office. He picked up a plant on a nearby desk and tossed it.

Because he was yelling and angered, campus police were called. Statements were taken but no charges were filed. The incident will be sent to the Dean of Students and could hamper Holman's attempts to transfer.

"Last night and this morning I had the opportunity to apologize to Coach Crean and today I would like to extend that to everyone involved in the program for allowing my frustrations to get the best of me," Holman said in a statement issued by the university Friday. "I appreciate everything Indiana University and coach Crean have done for me and I hope nothing but the best for the program in the future."

The Hoosiers will lose five of their top six scorers from last season, with Crawford the top returning scorer at 9.7 points per game. Taber, McGee and Pritchard will be the only forwards unless more players are added in the coming weeks. The spring signing period is ongoing.

"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."

BRM
05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Looks like Coach Crean has decided to blow it up and make it his own. Good for him and good for the program.

fearofpopvol1
05-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Bassett and Ellis going will definitely make the team worse in the W/L column next year, but it will no doubt give the Hoosiers a fresh start. I figure it's going to be at least 2010-2011 before the Hoosiers have a real shot to compete. I wouldn't be so happy right now if I were a junior/senior at IUB.

Hoosier Red
05-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Another decent get for Crean.

Verdell Jones commits.
Now lets get a big man or 3.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1981

BRM
05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Not a bad class for 2008 all things considered.

In other news, Eli Holman is going to Detroit Mercy to play for Ray McCallum.

WMR
05-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Man IU would have been loaded this year if Sampson could've kept himself out of trouble.

Razor Shines
05-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Not a bad class for 2008 all things considered.

In other news, Eli Holman is going to Detroit Mercy to play for Ray McCallum.

It's really not. I am verrrrry happy with everything that Crean has done so far. I am glad he upheld Dakich's decisions and I'm glad he's concerned about the academic performance of the kids. The more I see from Crean, the happier I am with the hiring.

BRM
05-08-2008, 02:34 PM
It's really not. I am verrrrry happy with everything that Crean has done so far. I am glad he upheld Dakich's decisions and I'm glad he's concerned about the academic performance of the kids. The more I see from Crean, the happier I am with the hiring.

I agree with everything you said. I was actually quite pleased with his decision on Bassett and Ellis.

Razor Shines
05-08-2008, 02:41 PM
I agree with everything you said. I was actually quite pleased with his decision on Bassett and Ellis.

Yeah. It's nice to be proud of IU basketball again. This is the first time I've been proud of an IU coach since that one guy.

Revering4Blue
05-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Georgetown guard Jeremiah Rivers, who announced his intention to transfer this past week, plans to enroll at Indiana, according to a source close to the program. A 6-foot-4 guard who served as the Hoyas’ defensive stopper during his two seasons with the Hoyas, Rivers joins another former Big East performer in Bloomington, Ind., where he will attempt to help former Marquette coach Tom Crean rebuild the Hoosiers.

According to a story published in yesterday’s Boston Globe, Celtics coach Doc Rivers was not pleased with his son’s decision to leave Georgetown. But the young guard felt like a shift to Crean’s perimeter-oriented system would help him improve on last season’s pedestrian production: 2.5 points and 2.4 rebounds in 18.4 minutes.

http://www.insidethehall.com/

BRM
05-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Interesting. I have to admit that I don't know a whole lot about Rivers though. Time to do some reading.

fearofpopvol1
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3392460

Indiana agrees with NCAA's allegations of wrongdoing
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Indiana University essentially agreed with all five violations that the NCAA cited against the men's basketball program in a Feb. 8 major notice of allegations sent to the school, ESPN.com has learned from multiple sources.

The school is expected to formally release its response to the public as early as Tuesday. Representatives of Indiana are due to meet in Seattle with the committee on infractions on June 14. A final result on any possible penalties likely won't be known until later in the summer.

What exactly did the NCAA allege happened? Take a look at what the NCAA sent to the president of Indiana University. Notice of allegations (pdf)

The notice was sent in February, four months after the university self-reported a cluster of secondary phone call violations. The major difference between the two reports was the allegation against then-head coach Kelvin Sampson that he provided false information to investigators.

According to sources, Indiana agreed with all of the first allegation that stated Sampson and his staff of Jeff Meyer and Rob Senderoff failed to comply with the penalties assessed against the staff in a previous infractions report. The allegation covered March 29, 2006 to July 31, 2007. The restrictions involved telephone call restrictions placed on the school as punishment for Sampson's previous penalty while he was at Oklahoma.

Indiana agreed with the second allegation that assistants Meyer and Senderoff placed at least 25 impermissible telephone calls to prospective athletes or parents or legal guardians from May 7, 2006 to July 17, 2007. A source said the university agreed that this was a second violation.

The university also agreed with the third allegation, that during a period of May 25, 2006 to May 24, 2007, Sampson acted "contrary to the NCAA principles of ethical conduct when he knowingly violated recruiting restrictions imposed by the NCAA's committee on infractions as penalty for Sampson's prior involvement in [the Oklahoma case]." This allegation essentially stated that Sampson knowingly provided false information to Indiana and the NCAA's enforcement staff.

The fourth allegation stated that during the period of May 25, 2006 to May 24, 2007, Senderoff failed to report that he used his home phone for recruiting purposes.

The fifth and final allegation stated that on June 30, 2007, Sampson and Meyer engaged in impermissible recruiting contact with a prospective student-athlete and that on July 1, 2007, Meyer provided the recruit with extra benefits (a T-shirt and backpack).

Sampson, who took a $750,000 buyout in February after less than two years at IU, was hired recently to work on Scott Skiles' Milwaukee Bucks staff. Assistant Dan Dakich coached the team the rest of the season, and former Marquette coach Tom Crean was hired in April to succeed Sampson. Senderoff was just hired at Kent State as an assistant. Another former assistant, Ray McCallum, got the head coaching job at Detroit.

Meyer and Dakich are the only former members of the staff who aren't currently employed.

The Hoosiers have only three returning scholarship players for next season after freshman Eric Gordon declared for the draft; D.J. White and Lance Stemler exhausted their eligibility; DeAndre Thomas, Armon Bassett and Jamarcus Ellis were dismissed; and Eli Holman was allowed to transfer. Crean is adding newcomers, however, with the count already up to six. Georgetown transfer Jeremiah Rivers recently visited IU's campus and might end up in Bloomington.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

WVRed
05-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Something I just thought about.

Myles Brand was president at Indiana before he ended up as president of the NCAA. If the NCAA goes light on the Hoosiers, will a lot of people call out the NCAA?

fearofpopvol1
05-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Something I just thought about.

Myles Brand was president at Indiana before he ended up as president of the NCAA. If the NCAA goes light on the Hoosiers, will a lot of people call out the NCAA?

Myles Brand punished IU plenty by pushing The General out the door, deserved or not.

IU has not historically had any problems with academics or otherwise. They fired Sampson once they found out the true scope of his practices and are definitely on the right track now. I don't see what more they could/should do.

Betterread
05-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Man IU would have been loaded this year if Sampson could've kept himself out of trouble.
You don't think think there's a correlation with Sampson's ethics and how "loaded" IU's squad appeared to be?

BRM
05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
You don't think think there's a correlation with Sampson's ethics and how "loaded" IU's squad appeared to be?

There is absolutely a correlation. I'd rather see them lose 20 games with Crean's current squad than win 30 with Sampson's "loaded" team next year.

By the way, you should never use "ethics" and "Sampson" in the same sentence. ;)

BRM
05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Here is Sampson's letter to the NCAA Committee on Infractions. Per Sportsline (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/8307237).

Dear Committee Members:

Enclosed is my written Response to the allegations set forth in the NCAA enforcement staff’s Notice of Allegations to Indiana University, Bloomington, dated February 8, 2008. I have been assisted in the preparation of this Response by legal counsel to ensure that I proceed as expected by your policies, procedures and practices.

When I appeared before you in April 2006 to address recruiting telephone contact violations at the University of Oklahoma, I accepted responsibility for my mistakes, I answered your questions truthfully and with great candor, and I pledged to do everything within my power to avoid violations in the future. That experience had a profound effect on me. I was embarrassed and I was wholly determined to not put myself and my family through another experience like that.

When I arrived at Indiana University, I hired an experienced staff and made my expectation of strict compliance with NCAA rules and with the restrictions imposed upon our staff very clear. As set forth in detail in the body of my Response, each member of my staff confirms that my expectations were made clear. I endorsed and cooperated fully with the monitoring systems set in place by Indiana’s athletics compliance staff. I relied upon the monitoring program that was set in place. Again, the statements of my staff as set forth in my Response confirm this. I told my staff repeatedly that I never again wanted to go through an experience like I had in the Oklahoma case and that we as a staff needed to completely buy into the monitoring systems implemented by Indiana’s compliance program.

On the day the recruiting restrictions ended in May 2007, I felt a sense of great relief and peace. I believed that the darkest days of my coaching career were behind me and that we could now move forward with our goal of returning Indiana’s basketball program to a position of prominence. I went to Athletic Director Rick Greenspan’s office and together, we celebrated the occasion with “high fives.” With the recruiting call monitoring system we believed was being operated by the compliance staff, neither of us had any reason to think there might be issues.

Accordingly, I cannot adequately describe in words how stunned I was to learn from Mr. Greenspan later that summer that the compliance office’s review of my staff’s phone records had revealed possible violations. First, I could not believe that if in fact the records showed violations, some since my staff’s earliest days at the University, the matters had not been detected and brought to the attention of Mr. Greenspan and myself much earlier so they could have been addressed in a timely fashion. And second, given how strongly and frequently I had communicated to my staff that I expected 100 percent compliance – I could not believe that NCAA rules and Committee on Infractions’ imposed restrictions had apparently been disregarded.

My life since that day has been a nightmare and my family has suffered profoundly along with me. I have been judged by many in the media and public to be a cheat and a liar and I have lost my job – all long before I will have had an opportunity to present my case to you and without Indiana University conducting a meaningful investigation into the allegations made by the enforcement staff. Even this NCAA process has not followed the prescribed course. A date for the hearing of this case was set before interviews, including one of me, were completed by the enforcement staff and before the enforcement staff issued its Notice of Allegations. These pre-determined results are of grave concern to me. It is my hope that the scheduled June hearing will allay my fears that final judgments have already been made.

As difficult as this process and experience has been for me, I do, given the circumstances, look forward to the opportunity to appear before you and, with the assistance of my counsel, to attempt to ensure that you have all of the information available on the relevant matters so that you can make a fair, unbiased and accurate determination on whether I knowingly participated in telephone conversations with recruits that were contrary to the restrictions imposed upon me and Indiana University by your committee following the Oklahoma infractions case.

Sincerely,

Kelvin Sampson

redsfanmia
05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Here is Sampson's letter to the NCAA Committee on Infractions. Per Sportsline (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/8307237).

How can Sampson look himself in the mirror knowing he tells such lies?

WMR
05-17-2008, 09:31 AM

Oh of course. It was more just an idle rhetorical observation as much as anything else.

Revering4Blue
05-18-2008, 10:35 PM
The nation's top unsigned player, Devin Ebanks, has chosen to sign with West Virginia.

"I really respect Coach (Bob) Huggins and I trust what he's saying," Ebanks told FOXSports.com. "I also feel like I can make an impact quickly at West Virginia."

The Mountaineers edged Memphis, Texas and Rutgers for the services of the 6-foot-8½ senior forward.

"`I enjoyed my visit to West Virginia and just feel as though it's the best situation for me," Ebanks added.

Ebanks (the No. 13 prospect in the country according to Scout.com) was a one-time Indiana signee who was let out of his letter-of-intent following the departure of former Hoosiers coach Kelvin Sampson.

Ebanks, a Brooklyn native who is extremely talented, spent the past two years at St. Thomas More (Conn.).

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8152076/Take-it-to-the-Ebanks:-West-Virginia-lands-prospect

WMR
05-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Man that's a great get for Huggy bear. Wonder if Joe Alexander is definitely gone?

BRM
05-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Huggins must have offered more "perks" than Calipari.

dabvu2498
05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Huggins must have offered more "perks" than Calipari.

Sympathy for Huggs falling off that airplane.

BRM
05-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Arizona released Emmanuel Negedu from his LOI today. Gary Parrish at Sportsline listed Tennessee and Indiana as the top suitors for him. Negedu is rated #71 by Scout.com and #40 by Rivals.com.

dabvu2498
05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Arizona released Emmanuel Negedu from his LOI today. Gary Parrish at Sportsline listed Tennessee and Indiana as the top suitors for him. Negedu is rated #71 by Scout.com and #40 by Rivals.com.

Any word on why he wanted out of AZ?

BRM
05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
From the Tucson Citizen:

Negedu, who signed in November and was recruited by former UA assistant Josh Pastner and Lute Olson, said the number of coaching changes and Olson's unexplained absence gave him doubts about the program. Olson has a completely new assistant coaching staff.

dabvu2498
05-20-2008, 02:43 PM
From the Tucson Citizen:

I can understand that, then.

Not sure UT is a bastion of stability, if that's what he's looking for.

BRM
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM
The Peegs board seems to think Memphis is the frontrunner with UT as a possibility. They give Crean very little chance at landing him. ITH is a little more optimistic.

If the release is granted, Indiana would certainly be interested in Negedu, who is a top 40 player in the 2008 class. Negedu played AAU with the Indiana Elite program and there are reports that his guardian is Mark Adams, who lives in Bloomington. Adams is a coach for Indiana Elite. Negedu is a native of Kaduna, Nigeria and played for Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire last season.

BRM
05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Maurice Sutton hasn't announced anything yet either. Although the general vibe is he is most likely going to choose Villanova.

BRM
05-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Another JUCO commits, per ITH.

According to sources speaking with Peegs, Tigan Jobe a 7-foot-0, 265-pound sophomore from Olney Central College will sign with IU today. He averaged three points, three rebounds and six blocks a game. (See: project.)

It seems Crean went after what was left of big men in both the high school (Maurice Sutton) and juco ranks (Jobe), and perhaps might find himself a bit handcuffed now as far as scholarships are involved if Emmanuel Negedu wants to bring his services to Bloomington. (Fingers crossed.)

From Rivals:

Multiple sources indicate now to Peegs.com/Inside Indiana that 7-foot, 255-pound center Tijan Jobe (http://indiana.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=68869) will sign a letter of intent with Indiana today. Jobe is a sophomore now at Olney Central College in Illinois and has two years of college eligibility.

Jobe is originally from the African country of Gambia. He has flown a bit under the radar after averaging just 3.0 points and 3.1 rebounds per game this past season at Olney Central. He shot 54.1% from the floor but only 40.5% from the charity stripe.

According to sources, Jobe has been on the Hoosier campus today with Olney Central head coach Mike Burris. The 7-footer moved transferred to Olney Central last year after spending one year at Butler County C.C. in Kansas. Jobe came from Gambia to the USA in 2004 and graduated from Laurinburg Institute in North Carolina before moving on to junior college.

The Jobe signing comes only a day before the Hoosiers are expected to hear from 6-foot-10 center prospect Maurice Sutton. The high school senior from Maryland is planning to announce his college choice tomorrow, the final day of the spring signing period.

princeton
05-20-2008, 06:04 PM
that guy sounds like he will have to work hard to become the second worst IU player in history.

PG from Bloomington committed, however. IU should challenge teams to a 6'2" and under tournament

BRM
05-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Crean got another commitment for the 2009 class. Per ITH,

According to our good friend Chris Korman of the H-T/Hoosier Scoop, Bloomington South 2009 point guard Jordan Hulls has committed to Indiana. Hulls was also considering Purdue, Duke, Stanford and a host of smaller schools.

Scout.com recently ranked Hulls the 13th best point guard prospect in the 2009 class. His addition brings IU to 12 scholarship players for the 2009-2010 season.

Hoosier Red
05-21-2008, 01:25 PM
http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/img_07111.JPG

Guess there are worse things than trying to recruit a Bloomington South star.

Hoosier Red
05-21-2008, 01:27 PM
By the way, anyone who can help me edit the picture to a more reasonable size, please feel free to do so.

Hoosier Red
05-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Sutton to Villanova

BRM
05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Sutton to Villanova

As expected.

BRM
05-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Here's an update on the NCAA Infractions Committee, Sampson, etc. from ITH.

The Indianapolis Star continues their stellar coverage (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080522/SPORTS0601/805220434/1069/SPORTS0601) of Indiana’s upcoming hearing with the NCAA infractions committee this morning with a look at whether or not IU was guilty of “failure to monitor,” which would likely bring a stiffer penalty if past hearings are any indication. Mark Alesia explains:

IU is accused of five potentially major rules violations in its men’s basketball program. Those do not include failure to monitor, a serious offense in the eyes of the NCAA, one that would increase the likelihood of scholarship cuts or recruiting limitations beyond what the school has already self-imposed. (A postseason ban is possible for major violations but it appears unlikely in IU’s case.)

The infractions committee could determine that because IU hired Sampson, in March 2006, while the coach was under self-imposed sanctions for major recruiting violations incurred at Oklahoma, IU should have monitored him and his staff more vigilantly.

The committee chairman at the time, Tom Yeager, told USA Today earlier this year that IU could be held responsible for Sampson’s subsequent violations.

“I think the institution’s accountability will run to things like monitoring. (IU officials) were on notice with the hire. They were at the Oklahoma hearing. I think the committee will look at it very closely, at institutional responsibility as well as individual responsibility.”
Essentially, this is going to come down to Indiana’s word against Kelvin Sampson’s word. IU will argue that it had procedures in place to monitor Sampson and staff properly, but the coaches knew about the rules and broke them anyway. Sampson, on the other hand, will say that IU waited too long to let him know of any wrongdoing.

I will say that a year-end review of phone call records by an intern is a bit on the laid back side when dealing with a coach that came with baggage. IU should have been more proactive in this regard. This is, after all, why you employ a compliance department. Monthly audits would have been a nice start.

Hoosier Red
05-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Brandon McGee has been dismissed.
Due to Negligence.

BRM
05-22-2008, 03:08 PM
ITH is not holding back on the opinions, are they?

My favorite part about these releases are the coded quotes. I could spend at least 1,000 words trying to spell out exactly what Crean is trying to say above, but what’s the point? McGee wasn’t going to class, or didn’t care, or whatever, and now he’s gone. We never really had a chance to see if he had any talent last year, so c’est la vie, monfrere, as they say in Latin.

Hopefully McGee lands well, and IU can replace those 1.5 points. Should be incredibly difficult.

dabvu2498
05-22-2008, 03:10 PM
ITH is not holding back on the opinions, are they?

Sounds like UK fans. ;)

I keed! I keed!

fearofpopvol1
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3416858&sportCat=ncb&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

STARLIGHT, Ind. -- Tom Crean's get-acquainted tour of Hoosier Nation came to the state's southern edge Wednesday. The highlight of the day might have been a trip to the bathroom.

Tom Crean knows wins may be hard to come by on the court, so he's winning over the rabid Indiana fan base now.

Businessman Ned Pfau of Jeffersonville, Ind., has turned the spacious men's room at his office into a replica of the Assembly Hall locker room. Yeah, the men's room. A guy can relieve himself amid lockers, banners, posters and autographed memorabilia of all things Indiana. The only thing missing is Damon Bailey handing out paper towels and mints.

"We had 12 grown men hanging out in a bathroom today," Crean said. "That is not healthy. But that is what it's all about."

That is absolutely what Indiana basketball is all about. Even with the program in the toilet, the passion cannot be flushed from the faithful's system.

And that is why Tom Crean is the brave new coach of the Hoosiers, not the comfortable old coach at Marquette. That is why Crean has signed up for an arduous Operation Tidy Bowl in Bloomington, instead of extending his streak of seven straight seasons of at least 19 wins in Milwaukee. Even as this tottering Indiana team has further crumbled during his seven weeks on the job, you cannot convince Crean that he made a bad decision leaving a winning program of his own making for the land of candy-striped warmups.

He understands that Marquette is a good program currently operating near its peak, while Indiana is a great program operating far below expectations -- and waiting to canonize the guy who can restore it.

He understands that Indiana basketball means so much that someone will turn a bathroom into a shrine. It means so much that one store alone has sold more than 10,000 "Crean & Crimson" T-shirts since April 1. It means so much that 850 fans think late May is the perfect time to drive deep in the Hoosier hills and cough up big fund-raising bucks to hear the new coach spread a little sunshine in Starlight.

Crean talked a lot about tradition and character, and he appealed to the fan base's immense pride. He gave them something to believe in, but no timetable for when the glory days are coming back. He didn't give many specifics about a team that could lose the most games in school history.

The current record is 17, set in 1970. It is in grave jeopardy. The schedule includes the Maui Classic, Kentucky, Wake Forest, Gonzaga in Lucas Oil Stadium and 18 Big Ten games. The roster includes one returning player who scored more than 1.3 points per game, three returners and only eight scholarship players total (at the moment).

Tom Crean should be Big Ten Coach of the Year if he somehow avoids breaking that mark.

"It's not going to be easy next year," the coach told his audience Wednesday evening. "I think most of you know that. It's very, very likely that for the next couple years, we'll be the youngest team in major-college basketball."

It's also very, very likely that once-stable Indiana has had the most turbulent year in major-college basketball. Even Arizona, with its Lute Olson melodrama, hasn't gone through what Indiana has gone through.

A year ago, the Hoosiers were coached by a rather popular Kelvin Sampson, had a flush roster of talent and were lining up recruits from here to eternity. Today, Sampson is long gone after an NCAA investigation, a promising season went up in mutinous smoke and so many players have left that Crean would be hard-pressed to field a quality team in a three-on-three league. And the star recruit Sampson had signed, Devin Ebanks, de-committed and went to West Virginia. Crean was only half joking Wednesday night when he said he'd be watching the Indiana football team this fall with both eyes open -- one eye while rooting for the Hoosiers and the other searching for anyone who can guard a pick-and-roll.

Worst yet for a school with a pristine off-court image has been the flood of reports and innuendo about the program's becoming an academic and character disaster area. In the blink of an eye on Sampson's sketchy watch, IU turned into UNLV Midwest. The new sheriff had to ride in and clean up the town.

"I could not have imagined it," Crean said of the academic wreckage he inherited. "… Certain people didn't put working toward a degree and being an Indiana basketball player ahead of other things. Something's got to give, and it's certainly wasn't going to be the standards of the program."

Crean made both a telling gesture and a telling comment Wednesday night when he brought his entire staff, including the academic support group, to Huber Winery in Starlight. When he had the academic people stand up and take a bow, Crean said, "I can't wait to see what they can do when they have the full backing of their head coach."

The former head coach, of course, committed the NCAA rules violations that haven't yet come home to roost -- IU goes in front of the NCAA Committee on Infractions in mid-June. Interim coach Dan Dakich then presided over a virtual work stoppage down the stretch, as a promising season collapsed. Now just about everybody who is somebody from the 2007-08 roster is gone.

D.J. White and four other seniors left, but that was just the start. Eric Gordon turned pro after a year, as expected. Potential returnees Armon Bassett, Jamarcus Ellis, DeAndre Thomas, Eli Holman and Brandon McGee all are gone as well.

Bassett, Ellis, Thomas and McGee were dismissed. Holman chose to leave, after his final meeting with Crean ended with the player throwing a potted plant and campus police being called to the scene.

Crean drew a combination of groans and laughter from his audience Wednesday when, following a standing ovation, he said, "I needed this a couple weeks ago when potted plants were flying around our office."

Throwing plants at Indiana? A former head coach has been alleged to engage in such behavior in the past, but never the players. That was an indication of how far things had slipped, and how fast. The embarrassment factor just kept escalating as Crean asserted control.

The coach is trying to cap off a frenzied spring recruiting season by closing with a late coup: Former Arizona signee Emmanuel Negedu, who opted out of his letter-of-intent, is considering IU, Memphis and Tennessee. Negedu could become even more important if the lone returnee with any offensive ability, Jordan Crawford (9.7 ppg last season), doesn't come back. Crawford went home to Detroit for part of the summer, and Crean could only say "I'm hopeful" that he'll return.

At least Crean has the luxury of slow-cooking Indiana back to promise. He negotiated an eight-year contract ("It didn't start out that way," he said with a smile) that gives him a chance to methodically crawl out of the smoking crater in which he currently resides. The guy would rather milk goats for a living than lose, but he has the contractual latitude to go about this the right way.

With or without Jordan Crawford, the team's top returning scorer and only returning contributor, Indiana is going to have some tough days ahead.

"There is a big difference between quick-fixing and taking your time," he said.

Still, that's always easier said in May than done in February. At a school that is accustomed to success, humility and patience are in small supply. Perhaps that's why a local banker who introduced Crean to the throng said "nobody cares" about the coach's bio.

"We want to know how you're going to win, when you're going to win and who you're going to win with," the banker said.

First he's going to win with his mouth. At the very least, Crean has a very persuasive recruiting pitch to give -- on those rare times he can give it. Thanks to Sampson's shenanigans, Crean is still limited to seven off-campus recruiting days in July and his phone contact with prospects has been curbed as well.

"There's an opportunity like there's never been before at Indiana," Crean said. "And there's probably never going to be another opportunity like this again. The story that's going to be written if we come out of this the right way, you have a chance to play an unbelievable part in it."

He has that recruiting pitch down. And the recruiting pitch to all the former players -- especially the Bob Knight-era players -- who have felt estranged from the program since Knight was fired in 2000. And the pitch to the fans as well.

Crean simply cannot and will not shake enough hands, sign enough things and kiss enough babies over the next year or two. Because the victories will be slow to come on the court, he'd better win the PR campaign first.

That isn't a problem. Crean doesn't just coach a good game, he talks one, too.

"We're going to fight like crazy," he said. "We're going to fight every day, tooth and nail, to not let the outside world come in and take Indiana down."

Indiana has done a staggeringly good job of taking itself down from the inside. Now the job falls to the tireless Tom Crean to make sure the Hoosiers don't slip down the drain for good.

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at ESPN4D@aol.com.

SunDeck
05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
The only thing missing is Damon Bailey handing out paper towels and mints.

I think that may really be what Damon is doing for a living now.

BRM
06-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Old news but interesting nonetheless. From ITH:

One of the more promising developments out of Tom Crean’s trip to the Louisville/Southern Indiana area today — Jordan Crawford is expected to return to Bloomington for his sophomore season.

Rick Bozich of The Louisville Courier-Journal and Chris Korman of the H-T/Hoosier Scoop were both on the scene:

From Bozich:
Crean on how good next season’s team will be considering only one recruited scholarship player — Jordan Crawford — is on the roster: “We’ll be so young, it’s hard to gauge what kind of team we will be for awhile.”

From Korman:
Crean said that there is no change in Jordan Crawford’s status. Crawford, who will be the only returning player who came to IU on scholarship, is back in Detroit right now and will not attend summer school. “He doesn’t need to, and I think it’s good for him to get home,” Crean said. “It’s important to remember that those guys have been through a whole lot.”
So the plan is for Crawford to return to Bloomington next season as of right now. This is welcome news after the mass exodus this offseason, right? It’s looking like the team will be in Bloomington starting on either June 10 or June 11 to begin summer workouts. When Crawford makes it back to Bloomington, I’ll be completely sold.

Playadlc
06-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Jordan Crawford is transferring.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/

If Indiana makes it to the NIT next year Tom Crean should be coach of the year.

redsfanmia
06-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Total sweep of the program and IMO the best thing that Creen could do. He is setting a tone that none of the nonsense that has been going on in Bloomington the last few years will be tolerated. I know the Hoosiers will be terrible next season but the program is in good hands now and someone who will lead us once again to prominance. Good job Coach Creen we are behind you 100%.

Playadlc
06-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Amen to that, redsfanmia.

Boston Red
06-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Jordan Crawford is transferring.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/

If Indiana makes it to the NIT next year Tom Crean should be coach of the year.

NIT? They'll be lucky to match UNC's 8 win season of 2002. But it will definitely pay off in the long run.

George Foster
06-12-2008, 01:56 AM
the rumors in Kentucky are that Crawford is coming here...no official word, but his brother Joe said that Coach G made him the best player he could be.

BRM
06-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Total sweep of the program and IMO the best thing that Creen could do. He is setting a tone that none of the nonsense that has been going on in Bloomington the last few years will be tolerated. I know the Hoosiers will be terrible next season but the program is in good hands now and someone who will lead us once again to prominance. Good job Coach Creen we are behind you 100%.

Excellent post. I agree 100%.

Hoosier Red
06-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Excellent post. I agree 100%.

I think its important though to not lump all the players together. For instance, I would give my right arm to have DJ White be able to come back. Crawford was doing everything coach had asked of him. Both Hoosier Report and Cannot Falter have good takes on how just because the guy is transferring, that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad guy or that it's a good thing that he's gone.
He's not and it isn't.

We don't want to be the fan base that cheers a 17 year olds decision to join IU and demonizes a 19 year old's decision to go to a better fit. We'd hate to be like our neighbors to the west in that regard.

BRM
06-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I think its important though to not lump all the players together. For instance, I would give my right arm to have DJ White be able to come back. Crawford was doing everything coach had asked of him. Both Hoosier Report and Cannot Falter have good takes on how just because the guy is transferring, that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad guy or that it's a good thing that he's gone.
He's not and it isn't.

We don't want to be the fan base that cheers a 17 year olds decision to join IU and demonizes a 19 year old's decision to go to a better fit. We'd hate to be like our neighbors to the west in that regard.

I agree here too. I have nothing against Jordan Crawford and didn't mean to imply he was a "bad egg". My agreement was based on Crean cleaning house and making the team his own.

joshnky
06-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Anyone notice the comparison to what Cincinnati went through two(?) years ago when they canned Huggins? I believe Mick Cronin had one returning player and a pretty tough year in the Big East. They were at least competitive this year and should return to the tourney next year if they continue to progress. Would IU fans be fine with a similar rebuilding process under Tom Crean?

BRM
06-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Would IU fans be fine with a similar rebuilding process under Tom Crean?

Absolutely.

BRM
06-12-2008, 03:06 PM
From the Detroit Free Press:

Guard Jordan Crawford has quit the Indiana men's basketball team, and he might transfer to Detroit Mercy.

"Jordan Crawford and his family informed us today that he will not return to Indiana," the Indiana athletic department announced Wednesday in a release.

Crawford, a 6-foot-4 shooter from Detroit Communication and Media Arts, has been playing pickup basketball recently at UDM's Calihan Hall. Also, the Titans' new coach, Ray McCallum, is a former Indiana assistant who was Crawford's main recruiter out of high school. At the time of McCallum's hiring in April, Crawford's mother, Sylvia, expressed pleasure that UDM had hired McCallum.

Shortly afterward, Indiana center Eli Holman transferred to UDM.
Crawford averaged 9.7 points and 3.4 rebounds as a freshman for Indiana, starting eight games. He must sit out one season because of NCAA transfer rules.

Asked about Crawford being seen in Calihan Hall, UDM athletic director Keri Gaither said: "We have an open gym. Any player might be in our place at any given time." Sylvia Crawford and McCallum could not be reached for comment.

Strikes Out Looking
06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for this thread. I haven't been focused on what has been going on and I was able to catch up rather quickly.

Crean seems like the real deal and I think this team won't be as bad as expected next year (maybe .500) and then it'll be off to the races, hopefully, for years to come.

flyer85
06-12-2008, 03:47 PM
If Indiana wins 10 games next year Tom Crean should be coach of the year.fixed

SunDeck
06-26-2008, 06:40 PM
From the HT in Bloomington:

RICK GREENSPAN TO STEP DOWN AT CONCLUSION OF CALENDAR YEAR

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Indiana University Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan today announced that he would step down from his position, effective the end of the calendar year.

“This has been a very difficult time and I am aware that I have become the focus of criticism which will continue to distract Indiana University from its core educational mission. Consequently, I believe a new person will be in a stronger position to lead IU Athletics moving forward and it is in IU’s best interests for me to stand down. You can rest assured that I will work with great diligence and effort on behalf of our student athletes and coaches over the next six months. They deserve nothing less,” said Greenspan. “Without question, I am extremely disappointed in the new charges brought by the NCAA Committee on Infractions against Indiana University that were released today. I disagree with these charges, particularly since the NCAA Enforcement staff did not reach this same conclusion after their original, in-depth investigation. Nevertheless, the new charges must and will be answered,” said Greenspan.

fearofpopvol1
06-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Goodness gracious. Thankfully we'll be ridding ourselves with both Sampson AND Greenspan out.

Indiana faces another NCAA charge, uncertain future
By Dana O'Neil
ESPN.com

Officials from Indiana University were in Salt Lake City the first time Kelvin Sampson met with NCAA officials.

They knew how egregious the NCAA considered Sampson's disregard of rules when he coached at Oklahoma -- in its report, the Committee on Infractions called Sampson's allegations "deliberate non-compliance, rationalizing the violations as prioritizing rules," -- and knew that they were expected to make sure Sampson did nothing wrong again.

On Thursday the NCAA decided IU's inability to keep Sampson's hand out of the cookie jar was every bit as offensive as the coach's lack of self control. After a hearing earlier this month, the Committee on Infractions notified Indiana that the school was also being charged with "failure to monitor."

While not as harsh as a lack of institutional control, the allegation could mean stiff penalties including additional scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions, a source familiar with NCAA rules said.

Even while the Sampson scandal took yet another scalp, that of athletic director Rick Greenspan who announced his resignation Thursday, angry and defiant IU officials vowed to fight the charges.

"Without question I am extremely disappointed in the new charges," Greenspan said in a statement. "I disagree with these charges, particularly since the NCAA Enforcement staff did not reach this same conclusion after their original, in-depth investigation. Nevertheless, the new charges must and will be answered."

A source told ESPN.com that the university had ample opportunity to take corrective actions against its coaches and did not. Also despite additional restrictions because of Sampson's violations at Oklahoma, the coaches were not watched appropriately.

Upon hiring Sampson, Indiana absorbed the penalties the coach had received at Oklahoma, including travel restrictions and phone calls to recruits. Because Sampson was not allowed to call recruits, the coaching staff also was prohibited from initiating three-way phone calls that involved Sampson.

In October an investigation at Indiana revealed that Sampson and his staff made 100 impermissible calls, including 10 three-way calls, in direct violation of the NCAA's punishment.

Yet the source said cellphone bills that went directly to the university's compliance offices were clearly marked 3W to indicate three-way calls and no one said anything to the coaching staff.

Also the source said an e-mail exchange between Greenspan and a member of his compliance staff said that "everything is great," with the basketball staff even though the subsequent investigation revealed rules were being broken at that time.

Charges against a university are nothing new when Sampson is involved. Before it could close the door on the 577 impermissible calls Sampson made, Oklahoma also was hit with failure to monitor. In its findings against the school, the NCAA Committee on Infractions said in part, "the coaches were taken at their word when even a cursory review of men's basketball office phones, cellphones and calling cards would have revealed myriad impermissible calls."

For Indiana, the Sampson saga has been a protracted program killer. It has cost Sampson, Greenspan and former assistants Rob Senderoff and Jeff Meyer their jobs; torpedoed a top-10 program into a NCAA tournament first-round crash and burn, and left new coach Tom Crean with a disaster to clean up.

Since taking over in Bloomington in April, Crean has dismissed two players (Armon Bassett and Jamarcus Ellis); three others chose to leave and one heralded recruit, Devin Ebanks, asked to be released from his letter of intent.

When the Hoosiers take the floor in November, Crean will have one returning scholarship player -- seldom-used senior Kyle Taber -- and an uncertain future for his program.

The university's likely decision to appeal this charge means the committee will push back its decision on the original charges as well.

"It is extremely regrettable that the actions of a few have brought so much disappointment to so many,"' Greenspan said at his news conference Thursday.

Greenspan will resign, effective in December, and Indiana will have to find itself an athletic director to lead it out of this quagmire. The university is in the unenviable position of looking for a new leader to oversee a mess while Notre Dame also is searching for a new AD.

Dana O'Neil covers college basketball for ESPN.com and can be reached at espnoneil@live.com.

RedR8R
08-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Excellent sign by Crean...

2011 guard Matt Carlino commits following IU Elite Camp
By Alex | August 24, 2008

Update: We were just tipped off about this video of Carlino via goazcats.com. The file size is large, but if you have the patience and the bandwidth to check it out, it’s definitely worth a look. We’ll have a Q & A with IU’s latest commitment later this week.

Indiana has its first commitment for the class of 2011 — Gilbert (AZ) guard Matt Carlino. According to our good friend Dave Telep of Scout.com, Carlino made the decision shortly after attending this weekend’s elite camp in Bloomington:

“I had gone to their team camp in July and ever since then I’ve been thinking about Indiana. When I came down here and got coached by a lot of great coaches that just sold me. Looking up at the banners, that was amazing. They’re looking for me that when I get there I’m supposed to be an impact player on their team. They’re going to really get it rolling here with him there. By the time I get there, I hope, they’ll have a chance to win a national championship. Once I saw Indiana … Coach Crean is unbelievable. He gets guys ready for even higher levels and that’s what sold me on Indiana.”

Carlino grew up a fan of the Indiana program and that influence led him to pick the Hoosiers over UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State and USC. He’s ranked the No. 8 player in the 2011 class by Hoop Scoop and is expected to be among the top 50 players in his class when Rivals and Scout expand their rankings.