PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod set to make more than the Marlins

Matt700wlw
04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3324199

wow

Sea Ray
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
What jumps out at me is that the Detroit Tigers are now the 2nd to the Yankees as the highest payroll teams. How can they do that? Their city lost more population last year than any other in the nation, their city is deep in debt, unemployment is twice the national avg and so far as I know their cable TV contract isn't that lucrative. Where are they getting the money? My guess is Illitch is getting it from the Red Wings but I don't know.

Chip R
04-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Don't blame A-Rod. Blame Loria for putting together a cheap team.

Always Red
04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Don't blame A-Rod. Blame Loria for putting together a cheap team.

NO way do I blame A-Rod. In fact, I wish I were A-Rod!

jmcclain19
04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
And thank the rest of the MLB for allowing Loria to pull off this sham.

And Loria's punishment for this nonsense is a $500+ Million dollar ballpark.

Awesome.

*BaseClogger*
04-01-2008, 08:18 PM
What jumps out at me is that the Detroit Tigers are now the 2nd to the Yankees as the highest payroll teams. How can they do that? Their city lost more population last year than any other in the nation, their city is deep in debt, unemployment is twice the national avg and so far as I know their cable TV contract isn't that lucrative. Where are they getting the money? My guess is Illitch is getting it from the Red Wings but I don't know.

Some may know Detroit as "Hockeytown". I like to think of it as "Bandwagon Town".

Starting about 10 years ago, it was Red Wings tickets that were extrememly expensive and tough to get. Impossible. Then, the Detroit Pistons and Ben Wallace came along and captured the city's heart with their blue collar marketing campaign. The Palace was the place to be. Detroiters moved on.

Before 2006, the Tigers were a joke. Nobody cared. As soon as they turned things around in that improbable season, Tigers games starting selling out. Ticket sales went throught the roof. According to the newspapers, the Tigers have sold nearly 3 million tickets already. All of a sudden, there were open seats in Joe Louis Arena last year during the playoffs. That was unheard of. Detroit loves its sports--they just like to wear the hottest styles. Imagine what the Lions could do if they ever made the playoffs!

As for the economy, sure there are a ton of houses for sale and some have been hit hard, but Oakland county (where I live) continues to live a luxurious life compared to the rest of the nation...

REDREAD
04-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm glad Detroit and Cleveland are doing so well. I'm glad St Louis and had a nice run too. It proves that a simple midwestern team can actually compete if it really wants to and makes the right decisions.