PDA

View Full Version : Why I am glad I am NOT in the ORG (at times)

BLEEDS
04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66670

13 pages - and growing - of guys arguing over why Dunn got an RBI groundout instead of a walk, to bring us within 1.

Paralysis by Analysis. I'm sure if I could post in that thread I would, but then I'm not sure I'd be happy about it when(/if) I was done.

If I thought that much about the game - and fretted that much over a call or two - I don't think I could enjoy it anymore.

Just Sayin'

:thumbdown

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Johnny Cueto
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
lol yea was exciting to see him actually get the rbi in that situation though. From what I heard seems like he's doing whatever he can to improve himself this year.

FlightRick
04-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm quite certain that thread could just as easily happen here as it did in the ORG... they may have the Stat Wankers Emeritus over there, but I'm sure there are a few Stat Wankers In Training who'd love to get in on that act. [This disclaimer brought to you by the fact that I still want to be in the ORG some day -- probably around the All Star Break of 2011 at the rate I post and the current eligibility requirements.]

To me, the funniest bit of that whole thread is that -- in essence -- it exists because of a willful misunderstanding of a Dusty Baker quote (one regarding the relative value of home runs and sacrifice RBI). The issue being debated, if I read the thread correctly, isn't so much that Dunn got the RBI in that situation, but rather that (per Dusty's quote) Dunn was ORDERED to "make an out" when Dunn's value is as a home run hitter. And this, apparently, is bad, because the realization of an actual run mathematically lowered the "expected value" of the inning due to the out being made. Or something.

Granted arguing the value of real runs versus "theoretical runs" is a fine example of wearing one's rump as a hat, if you catch my drift (I mean, every weekend I go out, theoretically Jessica Biel might show up at the bar and insist on having her way with me right then and there on top of a table; but gosh darn it, I left five minutes ago with an actual flesh and blood girl, instead; I'm so STUPID!!! Right Stat Wankers?)... but the little game of purposely misconstruing folksy Dusty Baker quotes in the name of presenting sweeping philosophical notions about how the game should be played is a lot like attempting to have a debate about the current administration's massive foriegn policy shortcomings by making fun of George W. Bush's comical inability to pronounce the word "nuclear." There is a difference between something harmless that one can easily mock and make fun of and a substantive statement worthy of analysis and debate, people.

Of course, I say that, and the truth is, I read all 287 pages of the trainwreck thread in question. Isn't schadenfreuede grand?

Rick

paintmered
04-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Starting a thread just to criticize other posters is trolling and will not be allowed. Let's keep the discussion to the Reds and baseball, please.

If you want to start a thread on the at-bat itself, you are more than welcome to do so.