PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion of Dusty Baker

LoganBuck
04-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I wanted to get a Redszone Poll on your opinions of Dusty Baker to start the season after the completion of spring training.

WMR
04-01-2008, 10:59 PM
It's not good.

Dom Heffner
04-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Someone who is in the role of making decisions who doesn't know how to make them.

reds44
04-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I've seen worse.

*BaseClogger*
04-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Um...

The Good: Handling of the media and clubhouse. Leadership and respect he brings (i.e. got rid of Stanton)

The Bad: Perceived rep of favoring vets and shredding young arms

The Ugly: The complete lack of understanding of run production and lineup construction, especially judging by his quotes to said media

Highlifeman21
04-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I wanted to get a Redszone Poll on your opinions of Dusty Baker to start the season after the completion of spring training.

What are the options?

For the record, I'm undecided on The Dusty, as I don't think he's fully evaluated the talent of the 25 man roster, much less the organization.

To play on a Bill Parcells analogy, we can't expect The Dusty to cook us a World Champion meal if he doesn't know what he's got in his pantry or what he's missing from his pantry.

-----

nm, there's options now

WMR
04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Should've made it public. I want the Dusty lovers outed. ;)

*BaseClogger*
04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah, and you probably couldn't have picked a worst roster to hand over to Dusty. Bad fit...

WMR
04-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Um...

The Good: Handling of the media and clubhouse. Leadership and respect he brings (i.e. got read of Stanton)

The Bad: Perceived rep of favoring vets and shredding young arms

The Ugly: The complete lack of understanding of run production and lineup construction, at least judging by his quotes to said media

Not just his quotes to the media... there's plenty of evidence on hand dealing with line-up construction/PT decisions that backs up what he continuously espouses as how to PTGTRW.

RedsManRick
04-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Good manager and leader of people, poor strategizer and tactician. Would love to have him on the coaching staff, just not as the #1 guy. Very poor fit for a team that's going to require patience.

That's all I say on the topic... in this thread.

*BaseClogger*
04-01-2008, 11:09 PM
this thing has 20 page thread written all over it... :D

Caveat Emperor
04-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Ask me again after Cueto and Volquez get 10-15 appearances under their belt.

Reds Nd2
04-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Ask me again after Cueto and Volquez get 10-15 appearances under their belt.

And Joey Votto gets a hundred plate appearances.

My opinion of Mr. Baker isn't too high at the moment, but I will admit that is due to the preconcieved notions that I have of him as a manager though. Spring training and one regular season game just isn't enough time for me to erase those notions.

MartyFan
04-01-2008, 11:20 PM
I like Dusty a lot...

Reds Nd2
04-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Should've made it public.

I wish you had. I prefer public polls because then I can see where my opinion rates with those posters whom I respect.

Ooops. You didn't start the thread.

Caveat Emperor
04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
And Joey Votto gets a hundred plate appearances.

I don't want until August to pass judgment.

Reds Nd2
04-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't want until August to pass judgment.

You won't have to wait that long. If Joey Votto doesn't have a hundred plate appearances by the end of May, then judgment will already be rendered.

KronoRed
04-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Still the same, I wish he wasn't our manager

LoganBuck
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
this thing has 20 page thread written all over it... :D

I posted it to see if the opinions of some were shared by the majority of the board. Sometimes a handful of people can make a 20 page thread, and you don't get a real consensus.

Raisor
04-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I think he's a bad fit for the club.

But we'll see. I'm more then willing to be proven wrong.

*BaseClogger*
04-01-2008, 11:45 PM
I posted it to see if the opinions of some were shared by the majority of the board. Sometimes a handful of people can make a 20 page thread, and you don't get a real consensus.

I'm not complaining--I love the Dusty threads... :D I do wish you had made the results public; I don't understand why anyone wouldn't use public polls...

Screwball
04-01-2008, 11:53 PM
As frustrating as some of his quotes/decisions are, the guy's grown on me. I'm almost kind of glad Javy wasn't busting it out of the box on OD. It let Dusty make it clear early on that that's something that won't be tolerated. I'm encouraged this will be a more focused Reds team than we've seen in a while.

LoganBuck
04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Can a mod make the results public if they are not? I thought I made them public.

Blitz Dorsey
04-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I wonder if the people who voted "don't like him at all" liked Bob Boone, Dave Miley and Jerry Narron, three of the worst managers I have ever seen.

Say what you want about Dusty (I voted "encouraged so far" BTW) but he is an upgrade over the scrub managers we've ran out there in recent years. I actually liked Mackanin for whatever reason, but the other guys were jokes. I was also a Jack McKeon fan. Hated Ray Knight. Liked Davey Johnson.

Raisor
04-02-2008, 12:04 AM
I wonder if the people who voted "don't like him at all" liked Bob Boone, Dave Miley and Jerry Narron, three of the worst managers I have ever seen.

Nope, didn't like them either.

I'm an equal opportunity manager basher.

I don't think I've liked a Reds manager since Johnson.

Kc61
04-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Dusty has a .000 winning percentage so far. Not happy with it.

Get team to .500 tomorrow, and he'll be ok.

Get team to .667 on Thursday, I'm a fan.

Superdude
04-02-2008, 12:08 AM
It depends on how badly he butchers the lineups and how he handles the pitchers. If he can just not hurt us too bad on the tactical side of things, I like the attitude he seems to bring to the table.

Red in Chicago
04-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Didn't like Dusty as a player, hate him as a manager. At least, I'm not subject to his daily snippets on the nightly news any longer.

VR
04-02-2008, 12:35 AM
How many games should be expected out of this roster?

How many games do the Reds need to exceed/ fall short of that to change opinions?

dougdirt
04-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Dont like him at all.

Spring~Fields
04-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Too early/More info needed

I have to wait and see what he does with the horses that he has already, and what he will do when he gets the horses that he needs to be in the winners circle. His pitching, offense and defense is still questionable at this time.

WVRedsFan
04-02-2008, 01:53 AM
AT first I was excited. The Reds had finally hired a manager with a track record--a winning record to manage my team. Remember after Jack McKeon, we had Bob Boone who hadn't won anything and then Dave Miley who hadn't won anything at the major league level and Jerry Narron who had a miserable record at the top level. All three losers I'm not sure about Boone) were given multi-year contracts and went home early. Enter Dusty and the cries of the faithful.

A lot of folks on here have my respect and when they started dissing Dusty, I listened and watched. The first thing that got my attention was when he said Gary Majewski impressed him. Huh? Then he brought in Bako and Patterson who I consider fodder. I was beginning to see the light.

The straw that broke the camel's back was starting Hatteberg at first on opening day (and wasn't that a success?) and Patterson in center while leading off. Wowzers! Houston, we have a problem. Who was the first man off the bench to pinch hit? Hopper? OK, now you've got my attention.

It's only been one game and the jury's still out, but I do not like what I see. I don't like Patterson in CF over Bruce (yes, I'm still a Bruce advocate). I don't like Hatt at first over Votto. If we win more than we lose, I'll be happy. Not real happy, but happy.

I will say one thing. I had no use for McKeon when he was here and he's proven he's been the best manager we've had in the last 9 years. I hated Boone, thought Miley was an idiot and Narron worse than that. MacKanin was better but not the winner I wanted. Now we have Dusty. I'm not willing to throw him under the bus just yet, but so far those guys I respect so much on this board seem to be right.

gm
04-02-2008, 03:06 AM
If you don't like Dusty now, feel free to jump on the bandwagon, later. As I said the day he was hired...the thing that concerns me the most about having Baker manage my favorite baseball team is that he'll take them to the postseason and they'll fall short and break my heart (again)

Would that be better or worse than 7 years of mediocrity...even if he manages by his gut and constructs old-school, upside-down batting orders? You make the call

Ron Madden
04-02-2008, 03:46 AM
Nope, didn't like them either.

I'm an equal opportunity manager basher.

I don't think I've liked a Reds manager since Johnson.

I know for a fact that Davey Johnson was the last Manager hired by this club that I had any faith in whatsoever. ;)

Bob Borkowski
05-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Just bumping this to the top for comparison to the current poll posted by LoganBuck.

WMR
05-04-2008, 08:18 AM
nm

KronoRed
05-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Merge the polls?