PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton goes yard

Redlegs
04-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Josh Hamilton went deep in the 9th inning off the Seattle closer (Putz) last night to lead the Rangers to a 5-4 victory. I know everyone on this board is probably happy for that young man. Congratulations, Josh! :thumbup:

durl
04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Plus he made an amazing catch near the wall earlier in the game and also beat out a chopper for an infield single.

The guy's simply a great player. I hope he continues to do well for the Rangers.

redhawk61
04-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Yep congrats to him. Our redemption shall come Sunday.

Good for Josh. I think two things played into him being traded, The fact he is injury prone and the fact that he wasn't the most liked person in the clubhouse, supposdly asking out of the lineup on days where he would have something minor wrong with him, and the constant babysitting. But I wish the best for him and hope he stays clean and lives a long happy life

IowaRed
04-02-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't know anything about his status in the clubhouse but could understand how that might be an issue. Beyond that, I hope he hits 40 HR's and has a great career. I miss his offense and defense, hopefully the Reds won't.

Moosie52
04-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I wonder if he preaches in the clubhouse. That would probably turn off some people.

ChatterRed
04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I hear he might have hurt himself yesterday and might be out a month.

Prolonged April Fool's Day!!!!!!!!

durl
04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Yep congrats to him. Our redemption shall come Sunday.

Good for Josh. I think two things played into him being traded, The fact he is injury prone and the fact that he wasn't the most liked person in the clubhouse, supposdly asking out of the lineup on days where he would have something minor wrong with him, and the constant babysitting. But I wish the best for him and hope he stays clean and lives a long happy life

This is the first I've heard of him not being liked in the clubhouse. Is there a source for that?

redhawk61
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I believe Chick Ludwig of the Dayton paper talked about it a week or two ago and I have also heard it on things like 1530 Homer

BurgervilleBuck
04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I believe Chick Ludwig of the Dayton paper talked about it a week or two ago and I have also heard it on things like 1530 Homer
Was it Ludwig? I thought he focused only on the Bengals.

I liked the trade because the Reds really needed the pitching. While we don't have a surplus of offense yet (see Monday), pitching is the more important asset to have.

And if JH had become a distraction in the clubhouse, then you're best bet is to deal him for something. Thankfully, it wasn't Majewski again. ;)

I trawled the googles using "babysit" and "Josh Hamilton" and found this blog entry (http://www.sportsfrog.com/2008/01/the_josh_hamilton_feelgood_sto.php).

Edit: And I found something on the Reds' website (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080102&content_id=2337730&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin):

On the other side of the argument, Hamilton's years of drug abuse led to speculation his body will be more susceptible to injury. (General manager Wayne Krivsky denied that he was concerned about durability). Some inside the clubhouse also privately complained of Hamilton having then-manager Jerry Narron's brother, Johnny Narron, as a personal coach and mentor. With both Narrons not back for the upcoming season, I don't think that distraction would have been as much of a factor.

AmarilloRed
04-02-2008, 01:46 PM
The Rangers are a lot like the Reds in that they have a hitters park and a lack of starting pitching. I have a friend who is a big Rangers fan, and he always talk about their need for starting pitching. They got themselves a good starting outfielder, but they may regret trading a talented SP prospect down the road. The Rangers have never had trouble finding themselves outfielders.