PDA

View Full Version : Farthest away you have been and still received 700 WLW?

redsrule2500
04-02-2008, 12:55 PM
For the 700 WLW fans among us, this is an interesting thread idea. I did this a few years back and got some interesting answers. Honestly, a few years ago I got a result that shocked me. I got WLW in Fort Myers Beach, FL. :eek:

It's weird too because now it's hard to hear even in some parts of southern ohio (east).

Any other interesting places? :D

George Anderson
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
For the 700 WLW fans among us, this is an interesting thread idea. I did this a few years back and got some interesting answers. Honestly, a few years ago I got a result that shocked me. I got WLW in Fort Myers Beach, FL. :eek:

It's weird too because now it's hard to hear even in some parts of southern ohio (east).

Any other interesting places? :D

Gulf Shores, Alabama

But yet I have a very hard time picking WLW up in my home in Indianapolis.

nineworldseries
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I've received it strongly on Hilton Head Island, SC, yet I cannot get it in Chillicothe sometimes!

dabvu2498
04-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Just east of Denver several years ago. It was scratchy, but it was Marty and Joe.

westofyou
04-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Nebraska

SunDeck
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Raleigh, NC. It was during hurricane Fran. No local radio stations were on air- I listened to news of the hurricane from my truck.

Dom Heffner
04-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Used to get it in Sarasota when I lived there.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Orlando, Florida and the entire east coast of Florida above Cocoa Beach.

Unbelievable.

Chip R
04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Wellington, KS

RichRed
04-02-2008, 01:22 PM
My brother and I grew up in Virginia Beach listening to Marty & Joe on WLW.

SunDeck
04-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Orlando, Florida and the entire east coast of Florida above Cocoa Beach.

Unbelievable.

It would be if you picked them up during the day. At night, AM signals travel differently and much further. It has something to do with the ionosphere.
And magic.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
It would be if you picked them up during the day. At night, AM signals travel differently and much further. It has something to do with the ionosphere.
And magic.

Yep, I was picking it up during the night.

By the same token, many local AM stations (1460 here in Columbus,for example) have to decrease their signal at night in order to not interfere with other stations across the region because of how well the signal travels at night.

So, around 6:00 I can barely pick up 1460, even though it's less than 10 miles away.

forfreelin04
04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I picked it up here in Charleston SC. It was good for one morning but hasn't worked since.

TeamMorris
04-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Upstate New York at a cabin in the middle of nowhere! You can't even get cell phone signals there. Doesn't usually come in until after 8:00pm though. I think TB was able to get it a few times from the Clearwater area in Florida also.

Chip R
04-02-2008, 02:06 PM
When I lived in Iowa I could pick up WOAI out of San Antonio, WWL out of New Orleans, a station out of NYC that does Yankees games, a French station out of Canada (Quebec, I guess) that broadcast Canadiens games and a station from Cleveland.

redsfan1966
04-02-2008, 03:41 PM
This is a fun game I like to try while travelling--unfortunately compared to some of you, Im a lightweight when it comes to travel. I have heard WLW in Pittsburgh, Detroit, Orlando and Virginia Beach Va.....I tried to pick it up in Las Vegas--heard something on 700am, but couldnt make it out clearly....of course, now with XM--everyone can hear the legendary "Nation's Station" clearly..

ochre
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Bull Shoals, Arkansas

camisadelgolf
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I got it somewhere around Myrtle Beach years ago. An unreliable source once told me that WLW has the strongest signal in the States, and at one time, the signal was much stronger than it is now, but the law forced WLW to cut back.

westofyou
04-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I got it somewhere around Myrtle Beach years ago. An unreliable source once told me that WLW has the strongest signal in the States, and at one time, the signal was much stronger than it is now, but the law forced WLW to cut back.

For about six years, WLW experimented with broadcasting at 500,000 watts, the first station in the world to do so (during initial testing under the callsign W8XO, then as WLW when regular programs began with the higher overnight power). It stopped in 1939 because of complaints from around the United States and Canada that WLW was overpowering other stations as far away as Toronto. Many reports have surfaced over the years of the power fluctuations from those who lived near the transmitter. People would see their lights flicker in time to the modulation peaks of the transmitter. The signal was so overpowering it was widely reported some people actually picked up WLW radio on the metal coils of mattress and boxed bedsprings, similar to KDKA-AM in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Unassisted
04-02-2008, 05:02 PM
An unreliable source once told me that WLW has the strongest signal in the States, and at one time, the signal was much stronger than it is now, but the law forced WLW to cut back.
You should trust that source more. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLW#.22The_Nation.27s_Station.22

I have picked up WLW's AM signal here in San Antonio exactly once in a little over 5 years of occasional attempts. Usually there's another signal on 700 in the Houston area that comes in over top of it.

Nighttime broadcast of HD radio by other stations is the likely reason that some of you who formerly received WLW aren't receiving it anymore. The HD radio signals of stations on other frequencies splatter adjacent frequencies in the AM band with a noise source that sounds like static. Nighttime broadcast of HD radio began sometime last year.

BCubb2003
04-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Upstate New York at a cabin in the middle of nowhere! You can't even get cell phone signals there. Doesn't usually come in until after 8:00pm though. I think TB was able to get it a few times from the Clearwater area in Florida also.

Maddeningly, I can get it very clear at night until about a mile from my house. I should have checked with the Realtor first. It was either move again or get XM.

Blimpie
04-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Big Walker Mountain, Virginia

IslandRed
04-02-2008, 05:32 PM
There's a name for this activity of trying to pick up faraway radio stations: "DXing." It dates back to the 1920s when the first stations came on the air; DX was a telegrapher's code for "distant reception." I used to do it a lot when I was in high school. From Kentucky, I identified around 600 AM stations from well over 30 states (including California) and several Canadian provinces and foreign countries.

With the various changes over the years -- more stations, most stations authorized to operate at night, more RF interference, HD radio, syndicated programming that limits local IDs and tags you can use to identify the station, etc. -- it's not as much fun as it used to be, at least for me, so I sold my good gear years ago.

I read a long article on WLW's 500kw days once. They had daytime listeners in Hawaii; their ad rate card resembled NBC's.

reds44
04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I picked it up in Houston two years ago on the way back from a Reds/Astos game.

BCubb2003
04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
There's a name for this activity of trying to pick up faraway radio stations: "DXing." It dates back to the 1920s when the first stations came on the air; DX was a telegrapher's code for "distant reception." I used to do it a lot when I was in high school. From Kentucky, I identified around 600 AM stations from well over 30 states (including California) and several Canadian provinces and foreign countries.

With the various changes over the years -- more stations, most stations authorized to operate at night, more RF interference, HD radio, syndicated programming that limits local IDs and tags you can use to identify the station, etc. -- it's not as much fun as it used to be, at least for me, so I sold my good gear years ago.

I read a long article on WLW's 500kw days once. They had daytime listeners in Hawaii; their ad rate card resembled NBC's.

Just imagine the Reds as a Superstation team.

cincyinco
04-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Just east of Denver several years ago. It was scratchy, but it was Marty and Joe.

Denver here can get it sometimes when its a bit overcast.

goreds2
04-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I've received it strongly on Hilton Head Island, SC, yet I cannot get it in Chillicothe sometimes!

Same here.

Thank goodness XM satellite radio has it on channel 173. :thumbup:

Hap
04-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I lived in Northern Virginia/Washington DC for three years and it came in at night in certain areas.

I lived in Athens, Ohio, for six years and it never came in at all.

estimated coverage map (http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WLW&service=AM&status=L&hours=U)

When I drive to Cleveland, I get it driving up I-71, until I get into Medina County and it becomes nothing but static.

NorrisHopper30
04-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Destin Florida

paintmered
04-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Listened to a UC game on 700 in Hilton Head a few years ago. In the 90's, I also was able to listen to it in New Orleans.

pedro
04-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I lived in Northern Virginia/Washington DC for three years and it came in at night in certain areas.

estimated coverage map (http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WLW&service=AM&status=L&hours=U)

When I drive to Cleveland, I get it driving up I-71, until I get into Medina County and it becomes nothing but static.

I was never able to get it in Athens when I lived there but I used to be able to get it pretty consistently (at night) in Atlanta and have gotten it as far west as Iowa.

GoReds33
04-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Used to get it in Sarasota when I lived there.I got it last year in Sarasota aswell.

IslandRed
04-02-2008, 09:13 PM

That's a known phenomenon with AM signals.

The daytime signal is the groundwave signal. The signal going into the sky is absorbed by an ionospheric layer in the atmosphere. As the sun sets, that layer largely goes away, allowing the signal up into the sky where it hits layers that reflect the signal back to earth. This is how AM stations can be heard farther away at night, because of the "hops" that don't exist during the daytime.

But at night there's a zone, usually from 90-200 miles, where the groundwave starts fading out and the skywave starts coming in. The colliding and relatively equal-strength signals from the same station cause phase problems that can distort or weaken the signal your radio picks up.

paintmered
04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
That's a known phenomenon with AM signals.

The daytime signal is the groundwave signal. The signal going into the sky is absorbed by an ionospheric layer in the atmosphere. As the sun sets, that layer largely goes away, allowing the signal up into the sky where it hits layers that reflect the signal back to earth. This is how AM stations can be heard farther away at night, because of the "hops" that don't exist during the daytime.

But at night there's a zone, usually from 90-200 miles, where the groundwave starts fading out and the skywave starts coming in. The colliding and relatively equal-strength signals from the same station cause phase problems that can distort or weaken the signal your radio picks up.

I'm guessing you're an amateur radio operator. Yes?

marcshoe
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
When I lived in Oklahoma City I listened to Reds games on WLW regularly.

There's no truth to the rumor that I picked the station up when I lived in Sydney, however.

fearofpopvol1
04-03-2008, 03:19 AM
Definitely not as far compared to many of the others named, but since it hasn't been mentioned, I've gotten it in Milwaukee before. Hilariously enough, it was while passing Miller Park.

Hollcat
04-03-2008, 05:26 AM
I heard that the Reds traded for Randy Myers listening to WLW in Pensacola. Have a friend who was in Florida, I think traveling along alligator alley, anyway there was about a 10 ft tall a chain link fence that ran along the road. He said that while he was driving by the fence he picked it up very clear but once the fence stopped he lost the signal.

When I was in the Navy I could pick it up at night on the outerdecks of my ship while we were at sea somewhere off the coast of Virginia and North Carolina.

IslandRed
04-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm guessing you're an amateur radio operator. Yes?

Nah, never got around to it. Just a used-to-be DXer.

deltachi8
04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Booneville, NY

OldRightHander
04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I've gotten it in Colorado before, but now I get it everywhere with XM, but I guess that doesn't count.

OldRightHander
04-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Definitely not as far compared to many of the others named, but since it hasn't been mentioned, I've gotten it in Milwaukee before. Hilariously enough, it was while passing Miller Park.

I went to a Reds/Brewers game at County Stadium and listened to the postgame on WLW while I was driving away from the game. Of course that was in the same area, so it might be something about that part of town.

MaineRed
04-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Reykjavik, Iceland

Raisor
04-04-2008, 12:47 AM
The closer you live to Cincinnati, the more likely you're going to start growing another head or something from all the amps WLW puts out.

Unassisted
04-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I went to a Reds/Brewers game at County Stadium and listened to the postgame on WLW while I was driving away from the game. Of course that was in the same area, so it might be something about that part of town.When I lived in southern Wisconsin, I could pick up WLW consistently at night. It was noisy, but it was always there.

klw
04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
After dark, I routinely have gotten spotty reception here in New England. I used to get it in Vermont while living there. I will get it in Southern New England (Mass, RI) in some places but then not around the corner. Usually has to do with elevation and proximity to electrical wires.

Chip R
04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
The closer you live to Cincinnati, the more likely you're going to start growing another head or something from all the amps WLW puts out.

You live in Atlanta so what's your excuse?

Raisor
04-04-2008, 12:55 PM
You live in Atlanta so what's your excuse?

bad genes

redsfan30
04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Hesston, KS after dark.

gonelong
04-04-2008, 08:59 PM

It already makes my ears bleed. :D

GL

HalMorrisRules
04-04-2008, 11:57 PM
In 1988, my best friend and I went on a baseball "field trip" and we started by going to old Busch stadium and watched the Reds get shutout by the Cardinals. I couldnt get WLW in the stadium that night. The next night we were in the front row down the left field line in Royals Stadium (Bo Jackson played left field right in front of us all night). The Royals were hosting the Brewers and it was Ted Higuera verses Bret Saberhagen. Two of the best pitchers in the AL at the time. Higuera almost threw a no-hitter and settled for a 1-0 one-hit victory. While watching all of this I was listening to Marty and Joe as if we were sitting next to the antenna in Mason. The next we went to visit a friend in Omaha and as we were driving around I was able to listen to the game in Omaha on WLW.