PDA

View Full Version : Upton's swing is entirely too long

Phhhl
04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I know he has incredible natural skills and his minor league stats indicate he is very selective. But, sometimes you CAN learn something by watching these guys play. Todd Coffey threw him a 3-0 fastball down the middle and he was late. I think Upton is really going to struggle at this level until he shortens that swing.

dougdirt
04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
He looks completely lost against anything that breaks so far this year. Granted there aren't many 20 year olds who don't struggle in the majors.... but he looks lost right now.

Big Klu
04-02-2008, 09:12 PM
He looks completely lost against anything that breaks so far this year. Granted there aren't many 20 year olds who don't struggle in the majors.... but he looks lost right now.

Eric Davis looked lost in 1984.

Upton may be a year away.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Edit: wrong thread

RedlegJake
04-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Alex Gordon is what -2 years older? And he is as good a young hitter as you'd hope to see but he struggled mightily last year when he came up. He learned, adapted and gradually became a solid hitter. This year he'll rake. I suspect Upton will be similar if they stick with him and he has the confidence that he can do it regardless of what the box score says for awhile.

dougdirt
04-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Alex Gordon is what -2 years older? And he is as good a young hitter as you'd hope to see but he struggled mightily last year when he came up. He learned, adapted and gradually became a solid hitter. This year he'll rake. I suspect Upton will be similar if they stick with him and he has the confidence that he can do it regardless of what the box score says for awhile.
Gordon is 24 right now. Upton won't turn 21 until late August.

*BaseClogger*
04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
His swing caught up with that Cueto heater today...

dougdirt
04-03-2008, 06:13 PM
His swing caught up with that Cueto heater today...

I was saying it all game. He was getting his bat to catch up with the fastballs, he was just missing them. He eventually didn't miss it and it was a ROCKET.

I then yelled at the guy who threw the HR back for being an idiot for throwing back a future HOF HR ball.

OnBaseMachine
04-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Upton looked pretty bad in the first couple games against the Reds but the kid in on fire since. He homered for the only hit off Cueto on Thursday, went 3-for-5 with another homerun last night in Colorado, and tonight he's 2-for-3 with his 3rd homerun already. Kid doesn't even turn 21 years old until August 25th. He's going to be quite a special player for along time...just like Bruce.

Steve4192
04-06-2008, 02:59 PM
I then yelled at the guy who threw the HR back for being an idiot for throwing back a future HOF HR ball.

Hyperbole much?

Doug, I think you are fantastic contributor to this site and really enjoy reading your posts, but dear lord do you have a tendency to overrate prospects. I think Upton is going to be a great player, but calling a 20 year old kid a future Hall of Famer is so premature it is laughable.

A lot of things can happen to derail the career of even the most talented young players. Many of those things have nothing to do with their ability to play baseball. Just look at the career of the guy who was playing CF in the GABP last year.

Dom Heffner
04-06-2008, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't throw back a Justin Upton home run ball, HOFer or not. He's going to be really good.

dougdirt
04-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Hyperbole much?

Doug, I think you are fantastic contributor to this site and really enjoy reading your posts, but dear lord do you have a tendency to overrate prospects. I think Upton is going to be a great player, but calling a 20 year old kid a future Hall of Famer is so premature it is laughable.
Upton isn't a prospect. The kid was the #1 draft pick in the 2005 draft since about 2002 rolled around and everyone knew it. Is he a future HOF'er? Sure, we don't know. But the kid is absolutely the best young talent in the major leagues. It was a bit of a joke, but you really need to know who you are throwing back home run balls of. It wasn't a Jeff Salazar HR ball. There are just certain people you don't throw home run balls back of (personally I wouldn't throw any back) and Justin Upton is a guy you keep a home run ball of.

Always Red
04-06-2008, 07:23 PM
There are just certain people you don't throw home run balls back of (personally I wouldn't throw any back) and Justin Upton is a guy you keep a home run ball of.

doug, I love reading your stuff, but you must understand, that kind of thinking will get you seriously injured in a place like...Chicago. :)

dougdirt
04-06-2008, 07:27 PM
doug, I love reading your stuff, but you must understand, that kind of thinking will get you seriously injured in a place like...Chicago. :)

Thats alright, I would go down swinging while screaming 1908 :thumbup:

Always Red
04-06-2008, 07:42 PM

That would not solve the "getting hurt" problem!!!:)

RedsManRick
04-06-2008, 07:45 PM

Just promise the whole crowd a round and then run away while they high five and chest bump each other. The Chicago crowds are easy to figure out.

I say that as somebody who sits among Cubs fans decked out in Reds gear a few times a game. Of course, they're usually dumbfounded when I respond to "Go back to Cincinnati!" with "I live in Wicker Park..."

Always Red
04-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Just promise the whole crowd a round and then run away while they high five and chest bump each other. The Chicago crowds are easy to figure out.

I've sat in those bleachers, many times (although not lately). If doug catches an enemy home run and doesn't throw the ball back, they throw HIM back! :eek:

Cyclone792
04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't throw back a Justin Upton home run ball, HOFer or not. He's going to be really good.

This is pretty much my take. Though I rarely sit in the left field seats so I'll probably never catch a home run off a righty unless he hits one into the moon deck, and I'm only even in those seats just a couple times each season.

Every game I attend, I make a note of whether any "name" players or "potential name" players did anything of note (i.e. hit a home run, pick up the win, etc.).

I've been to three games this season, and so far I've seen a Brandon Webb win, two Chase Utley homers (including #100), and a Ryan Howard homer. A note is paper-clipped to each ticket stub marking the event, and the ticket stub is saved.

Maybe I'm a pack-rat, but I've got a ton of ticket stubs of games I've attended where I've seen quite a few pretty cool events.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-06-2008, 08:22 PM
This is pretty much my take. Though I rarely sit in the left field seats so I'll probably never catch a home run off a righty unless he hits one into the moon deck, and I'm only even in those seats just a couple times each season.

Every game I attend, I make a note of whether any "name" players or "potential name" players did anything of note (i.e. hit a home run, pick up the win, etc.).

I've been to three games this season, and so far I've seen a Brandon Webb win, two Chase Utley homers (including #100), and a Ryan Howard homer. A note is paper-clipped to each ticket stub marking the event, and the ticket stub is saved.

Maybe I'm a pack-rat, but I've got a ton of ticket stubs of games I've attended where I've seen quite a few pretty cool events.

That's a pretty cool idea. I don't make it to a ton of games due to distance, but that's something I'm going to keep in mind for the ones I do get to.

dougdirt
04-06-2008, 08:56 PM

Similar to what I do. I print out a box score for each game and highlight and make notes for special events and keep it attached to my ticket stubs.

Cyclone792
04-06-2008, 09:06 PM
That's a pretty cool idea. I don't make it to a ton of games due to distance, but that's something I'm going to keep in mind for the ones I do get to.

I've been doing it for a few years now. I think I started doing it when there were several players in the majors, including Griffey, all climbing up the all-time home run list pretty far. Not to mention the Reds have a dude named Dunn who hits lots of homers and doesn't suck.

One of these days I'll get around to posting my list of interesting games I've been to where I've logged the ticket stub.

reds44
04-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Upton is 3-3 today with a HR and 3 RBIs.

He is now batting .415 with a 1.261 OPS.

;)

OnBaseMachine
04-12-2008, 05:40 PM
The Diamondbacks are on their way to an 8th straight victory to put them at 9-2. Both of their losses come in Cincinnati. They lead the NL in runs scored - the Reds held them to 11 runs in three games. That makes the Reds pitching in that series that much more impressive, especially Cueto's.

flyer85
04-12-2008, 06:51 PM
... but it sure works pretty well

Phhhl
04-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, he is making me look like a fool for starting this thread. I still don't think he is a finished product, but he is going to be special.

Highlifeman21
04-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Well, he is making me look like a fool for starting this thread. I still don't think he is a finished product, but he is going to be special.

I agree that he's going to be special, but lately it seems that J-Up's getting on SportsCenter for either hitting a HR, or being so ridiculously off-balance while striking out that you can't help but laugh.

He's definitely trying to hit the ball really hard somewhere during each AB. And he's definitely not using a short swing to attempt so.