PDA

View Full Version : Quotes and "Appreciation" of Jeff Brantley - Merged

WMR
04-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Not only did you totally dismiss his BA w/ RISP, you sound like the biggest moron in the tri-state area.

Horrible job tonight all around, Brantley.

Boo.

reds44
04-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I loved Thom putting him in his place. How can he say Edwin isn't clutch? He's been the Reds most clutch hitter since he's been called up.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Is it just me, or did EE's homer break Redszone?

Always Red
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I love to listen to JB talk about pitching.

Personal preference.

redsmetz
04-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Is it just me, or did EE's homer break Redszone?

No, a number of us headed over to the Peanut Gallery and yacked it up over there for the moment. Everyone must have jumped on their computers for the utter joy of the moment.

flyer85
04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Cowboy needs to lighten up.

jojo
04-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Cowboy is a little too in love with intangibles for my taste. Who the heck scouts mound presence above all else in spring training?

Cyclone792
04-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Cowboy is a little too in love with intangibles for my taste. Who the heck scouts mound presence above all else in spring training?

Don't forget intestinal fortitude. That slides in right underneath mound presence.

Cedric
04-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Jeff Brantley crossed the line on this one. Someone higher up should take him to task for being incompetent and classless. Questioning a player like Edwin on being "clutch" is just dumb and luckily the stats and today's homer proves Jeff wrong. It honestly seems that Jeff has a personal grudge against Edwin and that's just wrong, IMO. It's one thing to have an opinion based on some sort of reality, it's another to just be blatantly wrong and persoannly angry at one of the best players on the team.

Someone needs to sit Brantley down and explain not only the data to Brantley but also his attitude. You can question Thom and Marty all you want but at least most of their anger has even an ounce of statistical backup. Luckily Thom proved that he wouldn't back down from Brantley and that he also knows more baseball than Brantley. Imagine the ego hit that Brantley got listening to someone that has never played the game completely school him? Just awesome!

MWM
04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I ponied up for MLB.tv and listened tonight. If it's possible, he's worse than last year. I don't think I'll be able to handle much more. Just awful!

guttle11
04-02-2008, 10:37 PM
That was one of the best things I've ever seen.

BBQ sauce on that foot, Cowboy?

KronoRed
04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
The cowhead was picking on EE last tear even when he was hot in the last few months, I'm sure according to him Edwin's clutch game winning hit was because the pitcher made a mistake or the moon was in his eyes or something ridiculous.

TeamBoone
04-02-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm not defending, but! He did say he was wrong.

Kc61
04-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I wish Brantley wouldn't have made that particular comment, although he is entitled to his opinion. EE is a young player, who knows at this stage whether he is clutch or not?

It's fair to say EE has throwing problems and that he hasn't had a lot of extra base hits in the last year or so. But not clutch, I don't see that.

One good sign of the first two games is the bullpen. Not spotless, but some good innings.

I didn't like Baker's move hitting Freel over Hatteberg in the eighth. I also didn't like putting the bunt on with EE. I did like him sticking with Coffey despite the run allowed. Some other managers would have used about five relievers tonight. Only way Coffey gets on track is to get some innings in -- but not game after game after game like last year.

Unassisted
04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Save some energy for George Grande, folks! ;)

flyer85
04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm not defending, but! He did say he was wrong.shouldn't have said it in the first place. He has been piling on EE all spring.

GIVE IT A BREAK JEFF!!

reds44
04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
I just do not understand how you can say someone with a career .360 isn't clutch. There really is nothing to defend what he was saying. He's a paid announcer, he should know better than that.

On the other hand, he made Thom sound really smart.

Superdude
04-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Thom has won me over for the moment thanks to that Enarnacion call. Not only did he quietly stand up to Brantley's idiotic ranting the whole at bat, that home run call was "marty-esque". A nice little vacation from Grande's outrageously terrible "IT"S GONNA BEEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEE GONE!" call.

WMR
04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
I just do not understand how you can say someone with a career .360 isn't clutch. There really is nothing to defend what he was saying. He's a paid announcer, he should know better than that.

On the other hand, he made Thom sound really smart.

Good point. I've really got to give Thom credit. He recognized that it was a horrible decision to have him bunting in the first place.

And what did Brantley say???

"TAKE HIM OUT FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN BUNT!"

Just WOW.

Tommyjohn25
shouldn't have said it in the first place. He has been piling on EE all spring.

GIVE IT A BREAK JEFF!!

We never pile on anyone here at the Redszone. :D

Far East
Also remember that Thom said -- some time before the ninth inning -- that somehow Freel was going to be starting at 3B tomorrow.

WMR
Thom has won me over for the moment thanks to that Enarnacion call. Not only did he quietly stand up to Brantley's idiotic ranting the whole at bat, that home run call was "marty-esque". A nice little vacation from Grande's outrageously terrible "IT"S GONNA BEEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEE GONE!" call.

Agreed, SD.

jojo
04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Brantley is a case of what happens when you make a guy with very specialized and limited insight into the game talk a lot....

Chip R
04-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Here's a picture of Cowboy right after the game.

Always Red
04-02-2008, 11:06 PM
At extreme risk of being a target for abuse, I will respectfully disagree.

EE should have bunted, and moved the runners over. I totally understand what JB was saying, other than he missed on EE's RISP average.

Eddie is a decent clutch hitter, but a poor fundamental baseball player.

BUT, EE wasn't there to hit. He was up to bunt, that was his task. And he looked awful at doing so. He could not get the bunt down.

Good for him, and us, and the Reds, for how EE battled back, and swung away, and won the game. BUT, a sacrifice bunt, down 2 with runners on 1st and 2nd and no one out, is nearly always the right thing to do. And Eddie could not do it.

That's just poor fundamental baseball, same as his 2 throwing errors in 2 games.

But like I said, good for Eddie for making up for it.

dougdirt
04-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I agree that Edwin should have gotten the bunt down.... but he should have never been asked to bunt in the first place. I want to know what manager takes his best hitter with runners on base and asks him to bunt? I know the answer.... one who doesn't understand baseball.

Cedric
04-02-2008, 11:14 PM
You don't players to do something they can't do. It's really simple. The goal of a manager is to put the team in the best possible position to win the game. It's not about trying to prove a point about how the game should be played.

And I respectfully disagree that asking Edwin to sacrifice is EVER the right thing to do. You don't ask the best mix of pure hitting and power on the team to sacrifice when he clearly can't. If you want to make him bunt in the cage for hours tonight go ahead. Just don't lose the game because of your ego. Know your players and don't put them in a position to fail. The move by Dusty was even dumber considering the fragile state of Edwin's confidence. If it wasn't for the great pure hitting by Edwin you are probably looking at a player getting trashed by everyone and starting another year with no confidence.

How does that help either the player or the team?

Chip R
04-02-2008, 11:15 PM
At extreme risk of being a target for abuse, I will respectfully disagree.

EE should have bunted, and moved the runners over. I totally understand what JB was saying, other than he missed on EE's RISP average.

Eddie is a decent clutch hitter, but a poor fundamental baseball player.

BUT, EE wasn't there to hit. He was up to bunt, that was his task. And he looked awful at doing so. He could not get the bunt down.

If there's 2 outs and you're down by 2 with runners on 1st and 2nd would you go up and ask Juan Castro to put one over the fence?

I understand your thinking but you can't assume that just because you think a major league player should be able to get a bunt down doesn't mean he actually can.

EE is not a good bunter and it showed in his first two attempts. I'd no sooner want him laying down a bunt than I'd want Castro trying to jack one out of the park.

Good managers don't try to fit square pegs in round holes. They try to emphasize a player's strengths and try not to put them in a position to fail.

WVPacman
04-02-2008, 11:17 PM
I wish Brantley wouldn't have made that particular comment, although he is entitled to his opinion. EE is a young player, who knows at this stage whether he is clutch or not?

It's fair to say EE has throwing problems and that he hasn't had a lot of extra base hits in the last year or so. But not clutch, I don't see that.

One good sign of the first two games is the bullpen. Not spotless, but some good innings.

I didn't like Baker's move hitting Freel over Hatteberg in the eighth. I also didn't like putting the bunt on with EE. I did like him sticking with Coffey despite the run allowed. Some other managers would have used about five relievers tonight. Only way Coffey gets on track is to get some innings in -- but not game after game after game like last year.

Yes I did think he stuck his foot in his mouth tonight but I think he was just frustrated as are alot of the fans are with EE and his boneheaded plays.I have been mad at EE b/c of his bad fielding but im really glad he steped up to the plate and won the game for the reds.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Listening on the radio as I was in the middle of filling up at the Giant Eagle Get Go.

Paraphrasing here.

Welsh: "Edwin's confidence is shot right now."

Marty: "Yeah, and he can't even get the bunt down."

Welsh: "Yes, he's having trouble doing that."

Marty: "Well, then there's a place for him right down there (bench)."

Three seconds after Marty says this, he makes the HR call.

Doc on extra innings now ripping on sabermetrics. Is he stupid?

This was a perfect example of knowing your players. Maybe a bunt is the right call with the right player, but even the most casual fan knows EE can't lay it down. It's plain stupid to have EE, Dunn, or Jr. (arguably your three top hitters who also CAN'T BUNT) even try to lay down a bunt in this situation.

A win is a win, but this is win #1 in spite of the manager.

Cedric
04-02-2008, 11:19 PM
If there's 2 outs and you're down by 2 with runners on 1st and 2nd would you go up and ask Juan Castro to put one over the fence?

I understand your thinking but you can't assume that just because you think a major league player should be able to get a bunt down doesn't mean he actually can.

EE is not a good bunter and it showed in his first two attempts. I'd no sooner want him laying down a bunt than I'd want Castro trying to jack one out of the park.

Good managers don't try to fit square pegs in round holes. They try to emphasize a player's strengths and try not to put them in a position to fail.

Look above man. That's straight plagiarism at it's best!

:)

Chip R
04-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Look above man. That's straight plagiarism at it's best!

:)

I know. I saw that after I posted it.

Hoosier Red
04-02-2008, 11:25 PM
I would have PH Castro and had him bunt the runners over. I trusted Votto way more than I trusted EE.

Shows what I know.

Reds1
04-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Jeff Brantley crossed the line on this one. Someone higher up should take him to task for being incompetent and classless. Questioning a player like Edwin on being "clutch" is just dumb and luckily the stats and today's homer proves Jeff wrong. It honestly seems that Jeff has a personal grudge against Edwin and that's just wrong, IMO. It's one thing to have an opinion based on some sort of reality, it's another to just be blatantly wrong and persoannly angry at one of the best players on the team.

Someone needs to sit Brantley down and explain not only the data to Brantley but also his attitude. You can question Thom and Marty all you want but at least most of their anger has even an ounce of statistical backup. Luckily Thom proved that he wouldn't back down from Brantley and that he also knows more baseball than Brantley. Imagine the ego hit that Brantley got listening to someone that has never played the game completely school him? Just awesome!

ah. we all make mistakes. I was ready to crusify EE after his 2nd error and to watch him bunt. Now all is well. Brantly made a mistake and it was a big one. I was glad Thom called him out, but I'll give him a pass too as long as he improves. He did apologize. I think he was just frustrated with EE like many of us WERE. NOt anymore. woo hoo. Big game. 0-2 starts to mess with your mind. I was ready to start Freel at 3B. LOL

pedro
04-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of Brantley but Thom is worse IMO.

Cedric
04-02-2008, 11:32 PM
ah. we all make mistakes. I was ready to crusify EE after his 2nd error and to watch him bunt. Now all is well. Brantly made a mistake and it was a big one. I was glad Thom called him out, but I'll give him a pass too as long as he improves. He did apologize. I think he was just frustrated with EE like many of us WERE. NOt anymore. woo hoo. Big game. 0-2 starts to mess with your mind. I was ready to start Freel at 3B. LOL

He's not just an average Joe at the bar. It's just my opinion that he crossed the line on how he spoke about Edwin. It didn't' make a bit of sense either. If you are going to be so loud and boisterous you better know what the hell you are talking about.

WVPacman
04-02-2008, 11:32 PM
I see what some of you guys are saying about not letting players bunt when its their weakness.On the other hand I have to say these guys are pros and if they need to bunt then they should be able to lay one down.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Thom just seems angry.

Worse than us RedsZoners.

And he hasn't had to deal with it for so long. He at least called a championship team in Arizona. I would hate to hear Thom if he had to be here for the past seven years.

Cedric
04-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Thom just seems angry.

Worse than us RedsZoners.

And he hasn't had to deal with it for so long. He at least called a championship team in Arizona. I would hate to hear Thom if he had to be here for the past seven years.

I dunno. Jeff makes Thom look like Ned Flanders.

Raisor
04-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I like Thom when he's not doing Reds games.

BCubb2003
04-02-2008, 11:37 PM
What Brantley was trying to say is that there are no clutch hitters. He was just about to explain the saber metrics behind that concept but Edwin didn't let him finish.

WMR
04-02-2008, 11:39 PM
What Brantley was trying to say is that there are no clutch hitters. He was just about to explain the saber metrics beind that concept but Edwin didn't let him finish.

Hahahahahahahahahaah

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

SteelSD
04-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I agree that Edwin should have gotten the bunt down.... but he should have never been asked to bunt in the first place. I want to know what manager takes his best hitter with runners on base and asks him to bunt? I know the answer.... one who doesn't understand baseball.

Baker completely screwed the pooch on that decision. First, he asked a hitter who hasn't produced a Sac Bunt since 2004 to lay one down. And since Encarnacion turned 18, he's registered exactly three Sac Bunts over 3,542 AB. Asking a guy to do what he obviously isn't good at is one thing, but the idea itself at that point was pure stupid. Had a successful bunt been layed down, that sets up the same DP that was in effect with Encarnacion at the plate via an IBB to the next hitter. The decision was plain stupidity.

Today's game was Baker in all his glory; trying to do dumb things that lead to more Outs and hoping that Home Runs will save him. He got that HR tonight, but this is the same deficient style he employed with the Cubs.

Jeff Brantley? Well, he's just one of those guys who gets paid way too much to talk about a game he really doesn't understand.

WMR
04-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Baker completely screwed the pooch on that decision. First, he asked a hitter who hasn't produced a Sac Bunt since 2004 to lay one down. And since Encarnacion turned 18, he's registered exactly three Sac Bunts over 3,542 AB. Asking a guy to do what he obviously isn't good at is one thing, but the idea itself at that point was pure stupid. Had a successful bunt been layed down, that sets up the same DP that was in effect with Encarnacion at the plate via an IBB to the next hitter.

Today's game was Baker in all his glory; trying to do dumb things that lead to more Outs and hoping that Home Runs will save him. He got that HR tonight, but this is the same deficient style he employed with the Cubs.

Jeff Brantley? Well, he's just one of those guys who gets paid way too much to talk about a game he really doesn't understand.

"En fuego."

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The call for Edwin to bunt was a truly asinine decision.

RedlegJake
04-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Neither one, imo is a good announcer. Good announcers get impassioned in the moment without making career indicting judgements over a single play. Good announcers don't surrender on behalf of a player before his at bat is over. Because the player will often make them look like idiots. Just like the game thread both nights when there were a number of Brantleyisms about the ineffective bullpen.

Reds1
04-03-2008, 12:13 AM
He's not just an average Joe at the bar. It's just my opinion that he crossed the line on how he spoke about Edwin. It didn't' make a bit of sense either. If you are going to be so loud and boisterous you better know what the hell you are talking about.

I'm just saying. I can see both sides. I agree he messed up, but I'm also saying so did EE - twice and bigtime in the 1st two games. I actually like seeing some emotion when calling a game, but that's just me.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-03-2008, 12:15 AM
I actually like seeing some emotion when calling a game, but that's just me.

That's why I love the Redszone game thread.

Heath
04-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Folks, this thread's #1 on my hit parade. Rule #7 states that we aren't to beat a subject/person to death.

Once it gets personal - it's gonzo.

Always Red
04-03-2008, 08:20 AM

True, I don't ask Castro to hit a 3 run jack; but no one expects he will be able to do that. I expect EE to be able to lay down a sac bunt on occasion.

IMO, EE has not yet earned the right to be a terrible bunter, or a player who will not or should not bunt. Of course, if he continues to hit in the clutch and play like he did in the 2nd half of last year, he will be on his way to earning that right.

EE needs to be able to bunt. If pitchers can learn how to do it (ok, maybe not Harang) then EE needs to be able to do it.

As far as fitting square pegs into round holes- the situation and batting order dictated that last night, not Dusty Baker. Runners on first and second, no one out, down by two runs. Personally I want Votto up there with a chance to tie it, against the tough RH closer. As far as whether Dusty should have called for EE to bunt or not- well that's something that can be argued all day.

If EE is swinging from the first pitch, and bounces into a DP, well, we'd be here arguing whether he should have bunted or not, I think.

jojo
04-03-2008, 08:26 AM
This is a personal bias. But down by more than one, I don't really care what inning, I don't do anything that suppresses run scoring without taking an extremely long, long, long pause.

Asking a pitcher or Juan Castro to bunt makes sense. Asking a competent hitter to bunt.....

RedsManRick
04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Setting aside for a moment the question of strategy, the question I have is, "Was Dusty aware of EE's bunting skill, or lack thereof."

While I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect any professional position plyaer to be able to get a bunt down, regardless of hitting prowess, if the guy sucks at it, he shouldn't have been asked to do it.

pedro
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Setting aside for a moment the question of strategy, the question I have is, "Was Dusty aware of EE's bunting skill, or lack thereof."

While I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect any professional position plyaer to be able to get a bunt down, regardless of hitting prowess, if the guy sucks at it, he shouldn't have been asked to do it.

They said during the game today that Dusty knew EE was a poor bunter but that he expects everyone to be able to do it when asked.

He also said IIRC that he was impressed that EE didn't let the fact that he failed to bunt get him down.

flyer85
04-04-2008, 03:45 PM
from Jim Baker

Pulling a Brantley

This, of course, is an open invitation for the Giants to score seven, five, and eight runs in Milwaukee this weekend. If they do, we should call this a Brantley, in honor of Reds broadcaster Jeff Brantley's now-infamous assertions about Edwin Encarnacion's lack of clutchness immediately prior to Encarnacion's launching a three-run walk-off homer against Arizona on Wednesday. Of course, all of us in this business have pulled Brantleys. We've all written or said things that very soon thereafter were followed by results directly opposed to our confident assurances. What sets Brantley apart, though, is the timely and dramatic fashion in which fate skewered him; that and the fact that he did it in the YouTube age. Oh, and the fact that he was so adamant about his position, almost to the point of zealotry.

What is curious about his conversation with Thom Brenneman is that one doesn’t usually hear a team announcer eviscerating a hometown player like that. While very few broadcasters go the Hawk Harrelson route and anoint every home team guy a golden god, most you'll hear in the booth practice skilled diplomacy when discussing the shortcomings of their employer’s on-field charges. The guy with the .183/.211/.246 line? Struggling, perhaps, but never terrible. The pitcher doubling his career ERA? Caught a couple of bad breaks maybe, but certainly not terrible. That Brantley would go to such lengths to call into question Encarnacion’s character (for what is "clutch," if not a measure of character?) was very surprising to me. One might expect it from a national announcer-–maybe-–but the local guy? The guy on the team payroll? It’s shocking, really. How often have you heard this sort of thing--apart from Harry Caray after one too many liver lubricators, of course? There is the curious case of Steve Stone and the Reds' own Dusty Baker, then skippering the Cubs back in 2004. Brantley better hope that Baker has developed a higher tolerance of public criticism from inside the house since then.

The Encarnacion at-bat and Brantley’s reaction to it encompass a number of key points in the ongoing debate between analytical vs. by-the-book managing. Encarnacion was bunting with two men on and with his team down by two runs. Forget for a moment that had he sacrificed successfully it would have been the first time in his big league career that he had done so. (In the minors he had three sacrifices as a 17-year-old in the Gulf Coast League, and then another three spaced out on his way up the ladder. We have no idea how many times he has tried and failed to sacrifice.) Even if he was a skilled bunter, was this a smart play? I asked Bil Burke to come up with a list of sacrifice bunts in similar situations (eighth or ninth inning, team trailing by two runs with runners on first and second and nobody out). He found 25 instances since 2000 where the team trailing went on to win. I haven’t had time to check to see if all 25 victories came as a direct or indirect result of the successful sacrifice, but I will and probably do an Unfiltered post on it shortly. Of course, this doesn’t take into account the times it was tried where the trailing team didn’t go on to win. For the time being, I remain convinced it’s a stupid play, especially when considering Encarnacion’s demonstrated bunting inability.

The other topic germane to the at bat is the concept of clutch. While Brenneman suggested numbers proved otherwise (he mentioned his .300 career batting average with runners in scoring position), Brantley insisted Encarnacion was not a clutch player. On what was Brantley basing this observation? Had he never personally witnessed Encarnacion doing anything that could be defined as clutch? Was he aware that Encarnacion’s "close and late" career line is .251/.328/.393, a drop from his overall career line of .273/.348/.450? Those of us who don’t buy the concept of clutch as a skill probably wouldn’t put much store in any argument he chose to make, but it would still be interesting to know the origin of his conclusion.

pedro
04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
What is curious about his conversation with Thom Brenneman is that one doesn’t usually hear a team announcer eviscerating a hometown player like that. While very few broadcasters go the Hawk Harrelson route and anoint every home team guy a golden god, most you'll hear in the booth practice skilled diplomacy when discussing the shortcomings of their employer’s on-field charges.

Welcome to Reds broadcasting.

flyer85
04-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Welcome to Reds broadcasting.they seem to wear it as a badge of honor.

RichRed
04-04-2008, 03:54 PM
It wasn't even Brantley's assertion that EE isn't "clutch" that bothered me, it was the venom and disgust in his voice, as if EE's "nonclutchness" somehow was a personal assault on Brantley's delicate baseball sensibilities.

Chip R
04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
What is curious about his conversation with Thom Brenneman is that one doesn’t usually hear a team announcer eviscerating a hometown player like that. While very few broadcasters go the Hawk Harrelson route and anoint every home team guy a golden god, most you'll hear in the booth practice skilled diplomacy when discussing the shortcomings of their employer’s on-field charges. The guy with the .183/.211/.246 line? Struggling, perhaps, but never terrible. The pitcher doubling his career ERA? Caught a couple of bad breaks maybe, but certainly not terrible. That Brantley would go to such lengths to call into question Encarnacion’s character (for what is "clutch," if not a measure of character?) was very surprising to me. One might expect it from a national announcer-–maybe-–but the local guy? The guy on the team payroll? It’s shocking, really. How often have you heard this sort of thing--apart from Harry Caray after one too many liver lubricators, of course? There is the curious case of Steve Stone and the Reds' own Dusty Baker, then skippering the Cubs back in 2004. Brantley better hope that Baker has developed a higher tolerance of public criticism from inside the house since then.

That's interesting what he said about Brantley being in the vast minority of announcers who will criticize his own team like he did. But Reds fans seem to get a kind of perverse thrill out of their announcers criticizing the Reds players.

I forgot about the whole Dusty-Stone feud. Cowboy better mind his Ps and Qs. He isn't quite as popular as Marty.

RedsManRick
04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
doh... nm

BRM
04-04-2008, 03:59 PM
It wasn't even Brantley's assertion that EE isn't "clutch" that bothered me, it was the venom and disgust in his voice, as if EE's "nonclutchness" somehow was a personal assault on Brantley's delicate baseball sensibilities.

Same here. He was on him pretty good for the infield single by Upton (??) an inning or two earlier as well. He seemed to have it out for EE in my opinion.

lollipopcurve
04-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Welcome to Reds broadcasting.

That's right. The Brennaman Era. And now that Nux is gone, yikes.....

If Brantley doesn't quit his Marty act, I'll listen to the other teams feed -- every time.

nate
04-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Agreed. The more times I watch the clip, the more zealous he seemed, especially when Thom was trying to come with "the numbers." Brantley should let EE give him one of those shaving cream pies in the face on air for that one.

lollipopcurve
04-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Same here. He was on him pretty good for the infield single by Upton (??) an inning or two earlier as well. He seemed to have it out for EE in my opinion.

Absolutely. He delivered a lecture in the "do I have to go through this again?" style, explaining how a 3rd baseman should position himself for a fleet batter (ignoring the infield coach's role, of course), glove and transfer the swinging bunt, etc., drawing on zero experience as professional infielder or infield instructor.

It may have been at that point I switched to the DBax feed -- Sutton and Grace are excellent.

MWM
04-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Apparently Jim Baker has not listened to Reds' broadcasters in the past 5 years. It's also more evidence that Cincy's broadcasters are not "normal" in how they treat the players when on the air.

RichRed
04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
It may have been at that point I switched to the DBax feed -- Sutton and Grace are excellent.

Sutton is as big a homer as there is but I really enjoyed listening to those guys. Like a breath of fresh air.

flyer85
04-04-2008, 04:33 PM
The point is we don't have to be told what to think ... and that was what Brantley was tring to do, sway towards his opinion. For some reason with EE it almost seems personal. Did EE run over his dog?

bucksfan2
04-04-2008, 04:37 PM
The point is we don't have to be told what to think ... and that was what Brantley was tring to do, sway towards his opinion. For some reason with EE it almost seems personal. Did EE run over his dog?

I think it is a little more personal with EE because Brantley sees all the potential that EE possesses. The same was true with Coffey last season. Brantley wants these guys to be successful and rides the ones he thinks underachieves.

lollipopcurve
04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Apparently Jim Baker has not listened to Reds' broadcasters in the past 5 years. It's also more evidence that Cincy's broadcasters are not "normal" in how they treat the players when on the air.

And don't think for a second the players themselves aren't aware of it.

lollipopcurve
04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Brantley wants these guys to be successful and rides the ones he thinks underachieves.

Garbage. If he knew anything about EdE he'd have known his record hitting with ducks on the pond -- it's been well-documented now -- and never would have made proclamations about his clutchitude.

flyer85
04-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I think it is a little more personal with EE because Brantley sees all the potential that EE possesses. The same was true with Coffey last season. Brantley wants these guys to be successful and rides the ones he thinks underachieves.it is not an easy game and EE is still very young. Riding him about his defense is one thing ... but riding EE about his hitting is rather absurd.

lollipopcurve
04-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Sutton is as big a homer as there is but I really enjoyed listening to those guys. Like a breath of fresh air.

Sutton used to be with Bill Schroeder in Milwaukee -- I thought they were the best team going. He and Grace are almost that good, at least to my ears. Loved the time they spent with Mr. Redlegs in the booth during the Wed. night game. Sutton has always had a fascination with Mr. Red/Mr. Redlegs -- very funny, quirky stuff.

Pretty amazing that out-of-town broadcasters can elevate the Reds' brand better than some of the Reds' broadcasters -- but there it is.

RichRed
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
it is not an easy game and EE is still very young. Riding him about his defense is one thing ... but riding EE about his hitting is rather absurd.

That's what's so puzzling to me. As someone who Played the Game, he should know better than most how difficult it is.

Especially given Brantley's 8 for 68 career batting record. ;)

M2
04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
And don't think for a second the players themselves aren't aware of it.

Or the owner.

I'll guarantee Brantley's vitriol caught the attention of one Bob Castellini, who surely must wonder why he's paying announcers to trash his product.

Chip R
04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I would hope that Brantley's recent bout with foot-in-mouth disease will help tone down his criticisms. Because he certainly looked like a fool on Wednesday night. Criticism is fine but Brantley and Marty cross the line.

Yachtzee
04-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Or the owner.

I'll guarantee Brantley's vitriol caught the attention of one Bob Castellini, who surely must wonder why he's paying announcers to trash his product.

Has Castellini done anything to change Marty Brenneman's vitriol? I almost wonder if Reds owners have been blinded by the era of Brennemania and WLW talky-talkers who spew venom at the slightest hint of controversy into thinking that that's what listeners and viewers actually want.

M2
04-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Has Castellini done anything to change Marty Brenneman's vitriol? I almost wonder if Reds owners have been blinded by the era of Brennemania and WLW talky-talkers who spew venom at the slightest hint of controversy into thinking that that's what listeners and viewers actually want.

I can't prove it, but I'm under the distinct impression somebody got to Marty after Dunn revealed last season that his mother won't listen to Marty's broadcasts.

jojo
04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I can't prove it, but I'm under the distinct impression somebody got to Marty after Dunn revealed last season that his mother won't listen to Marty's broadcasts.

It might just be that Marty isn't a jackarse and did a little self-reflection too...... It's easy to get carried away sometimes and Dunn's comment might have been a reality check.

Yachtzee
04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I can't prove it, but I got the distinct impression somebody got to Marty after Dunn revealed last season that his mother won't listen to Marty's broadcasts.

That could be. I was thinking he might have toned down his Anti-Dunn rhetoric after he polled the beat writers on whether Dunn's option should be picked up and each one gave an unequivocal "yes." Maybe it's both. Maybe Cowboy hasn't quite gotten to that point where he realizes that how he says something really colors the way people think not only of the person being talked about, but the person doing the talking.

RFS62
04-04-2008, 05:21 PM
It was a strange deal. After the throwing error, ragging on Edwin became a story line for the game, and Brantley pounded it. He got on him for gloving a slow roller the runner beat out. His whole tone was over the top.

And when he took strike two in the last at bat, it was like the culmination of his several inning long routine.

They flashed a graphic just as the argument peaked showing Edwin's average with runners in scoring position, and Thom was trying to talk about it just as Brantley uttered his beautiful "he's not clutch" then "wack".

WMR
04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
I think it is a little more personal with EE because Brantley sees all the potential that EE possesses. The same was true with Coffey last season. Brantley wants these guys to be successful and rides the ones he thinks underachieves.

Oh that's utter bull. Please. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WMR
04-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Sutton used to be with Bill Schroeder in Milwaukee -- I thought they were the best team going. He and Grace are almost that good, at least to my ears. Loved the time they spent with Mr. Redlegs in the booth during the Wed. night game. Sutton has always had a fascination with Mr. Red/Mr. Redlegs -- very funny, quirky stuff.

Pretty amazing that out-of-town broadcasters can elevate the Reds' brand better than some of the Reds' broadcasters -- but there it is.

No kidding! Someone please send that gametape to Bob C.

His current Reds "salesmen" suck.

WMR
04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Or the owner.

If he's not, he sure as hell should be.

I hope Brantley's you know what got a reaming for that pathetic display.

RedsManRick
04-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Frankly, while I don't want the announcers to be disingenuous or blow smoke up my butt, I enjoy having a bit of optimistic homerism.

I want to feel like I'm having a conversation with a fellow fan who just so happens to be at the game and is telling me what's going on.

nate
04-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Frankly, while I don't want the announcers to be disingenuous or blow smoke up my butt, I enjoy having a bit of optimistic homerism.

I want to feel like I'm having a conversation with a fellow fan who just so happens to be at the game and is telling me what's going on.

I'd settle for the lovechild of George Grande and Marty.

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Brantley's antics is one of the reasons George Grande doesn't bother me as much as others. Yeah, Grande's love with Jim Edmonds is annoying, as is some of his other sayings, but you will never, ever hear the guy say a bad thing about a Reds player, or an opposing player for that matter. He's just an all around great guy who respects the players never resorts to bashing them. Honestly, I'm glad he's still around. I can handle him better than Brantley.

Always Red
04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Brantley's antics is one of the reasons George Grande doesn't bother me as much as others. Yeah, Grande's love with Jim Edmonds is annoying, as is some of his other sayings, but you will never, ever hear the guy say a bad thing about a Reds player, or an opposing player for that matter. He's just an all around great guy who respects the players never resorts to bashing them. Honestly, I'm glad he's still around. I can handle him better than Brantley.

I'm on board with you about GG; I have met him, and he is just as nice in person as he comes across over the air. I really appreciate George now more than I ever have.

I do enjoy hearing Brantley talk about pitching, how to approach it, and what is (or should be) going through a pitcher's mind out there. He does a much better job at that than Joe or the Creeper ever did.

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm on board with you about GG; I have met him, and he is just as nice in person as he comes across over the air. I really appreciate George now more than I ever have.

Yeah I met him about ten years ago when I was around 11 years old. I even got his autograph. :thumbup: I remember him being a tremendous guy. He stopped and talked with fans and signed autographs for a solid half hour.

IslandRed
04-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Or the owner.

There was a quote in Lords of the Realm about the owners' ongoing public bashing of players while in labor negotiations, forgetting the players were also the product. It went something like, "If baseball was a can of Campbell's Soup, the owners would kick it, roll it around the floor, call it overrated and overpriced, then stick it on a shelf and try to sell it."

I also remember the thing you were talking about with Marty and Dunn last year. Marty undoubtedly got a little full of himself; we have to admit, players he didn't like over the years had a way of becoming ex-Reds. There was probably a conversation that went something like, he's going to be on this team whether you like it or not and we prefer it when our fans like our players. Perhaps Brantley can use one of those, if the ridicule from this incident doesn't do the trick.

There's plenty of room to tell it like it is without being mean-spirited about it. And if they absolutely have to break out the scalpels, at least use anesthesia.

KronoRed
04-04-2008, 08:17 PM
If Brantley doesn't quit his Marty act, I'll listen to the other teams feed -- every time.

You'll enjoy the games a lot more when you do.

WMR
04-04-2008, 08:17 PM
And don't use that scalpel to whack off the wrong body part.

CrackerJack
04-04-2008, 08:48 PM
If I wanted to hear Ned Flanders from the Simpsons call a professional baseball game, I would purposely tune-in to the audio of Reds' TV broadcasts. Some choice music during video broadcast will do. Corporate broadcasters these days have nothing interesting to say, guess they haven't for some time. Filler for advertising dorks. For some reason I remember being okay with listening to how Marty and Joe's tomato's were doing though, that didn't bother me for some reason.

Blitz Dorsey
04-04-2008, 10:40 PM
For the record, I actually like Jeff Brantley for some odd reason (don't ask).

But damn it's hilarious when he refers to himself as Cowboy.

For example: "Yeah, I remember that day in '97. It was Cowboy time. I mowed them down."

Blitz Dorsey
04-04-2008, 10:43 PM
And that's great that George Grande is a nice guy. But he's still a really bad announcer IMO.

sonny
04-04-2008, 10:47 PM
I thought Chris did a real fine job on the radio the other night. I don't know if it has been mentioned or not, but I could listen to the Creeper over the Cowboy anyday.

Jpup
04-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Brantley should be fired for his comments throughout the game. He has no place calling another game for the Cincinnati Reds. When you bash your own product, it's time for the Reds to find someone else.

Highlifeman21
04-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I just think it's false advertising for Brantley to continue with this whole Cowboy thing throughout all these years without regularly donning a cowboy hat.

I mean you can't be The Cowboy without the hat, can you?

KronoRed
04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Brantley should be fired for his comments throughout the game. He has no place calling another game for the Cincinnati Reds. When you bash your own product, it's time for the Reds to find someone else.

It was going on long before Brantley hit the booth, he's fitting right in though.

OnBaseMachine
04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Brantley to MSU?

A question from broadcaster Jeff Brantley: "How does the Cowboy (Brantley's nickname) sound as baseball coach at Mississippi State University?"

Brantley pitched at MSU and said his old coach, Ron Polk, is retiring. Several people have called Brantley about replacing Polk.

"It is close enough that I've talked to my wife about it," he said. "It's close to home and my passion is teaching baseball."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/04/27/ddn042808spredsnotes.html

Unassisted
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Brantley to MSU?
The Cowboy might balk at this opportunity once he finds out that head coaches have to rise and shine before the noon hour. ;)

WMR
04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I'll drive him to the airport.

BRM
04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I'll drive him to the airport.

Make sure he gets on the right plane when he gets there. Don't want to miss his flight.

Hap
04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
And don't use that scalpel to whack off the wrong body part.

?????????????????

WMR
04-28-2008, 11:57 AM
There was a quote in Lords of the Realm about the owners' ongoing public bashing of players while in labor negotiations, forgetting the players were also the product. It went something like, "If baseball was a can of Campbell's Soup, the owners would kick it, roll it around the floor, call it overrated and overpriced, then stick it on a shelf and try to sell it."

I also remember the thing you were talking about with Marty and Dunn last year. Marty undoubtedly got a little full of himself; we have to admit, players he didn't like over the years had a way of becoming ex-Reds. There was probably a conversation that went something like, he's going to be on this team whether you like it or not and we prefer it when our fans like our players. Perhaps Brantley can use one of those, if the ridicule from this incident doesn't do the trick.

There's plenty of room to tell it like it is without being mean-spirited about it. And if they absolutely have to break out the scalpels, at least use anesthesia.

That's what I was referring to with my comment.

Basically, by my 'whacking off the wrong body part' comment I was referring to the vitriol directed at players/situations that are absolutely undeserving of being labeled "stupid" when there are plenty of truly asinine decisions to lambaste if one is so inclined.

jojo
04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Are there many famous cowboys from Mississippi?

I thought it was mostly chicken farmers and cotton growers.

I've never seen a chicken drive before but I bet fences wouldn't be the issue they were for cattle/sheep guys out west.....

BRM
04-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Does Brantley own a cattle ranch or something? How did he get the nickname "Cowboy"?

RFS62
04-28-2008, 01:35 PM
How did he get the nickname "Cowboy"?

"Big dumb redneck" was already taken?

MississippiRed
04-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Some of these comments are scathing to me as a fellow Mississippian and graduate of Mississippi State. We do have a lot more country ploughboys than urban cowboys. Not everyone from here is a redneck, but Brantley does seem to have some tendencies.

Although I don't want to listen to Brantley as a Reds play-by-play announcer, I REALLY don't want him to come home and coach my Bulldogs!

men

Team Clark
04-28-2008, 02:16 PM
"Big dumb redneck" was already taken?

Ohhh my lord! You see... I was reading along, took a sip of my coke, and WHAM you hit me with "Big dumb redneck". Now my nose hurts from carbonated fluid running through it and I can't find the wipes to clear off my monitor and keyboard. Damn comedians! :D