PDA

View Full Version : Mario Soto appreciation thread

icehole3
04-03-2008, 05:43 PM
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/mario_soto_autograph.jpg

With his help we are going back to the glory days, thx Mario.

:thumbup:

red-in-la
04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah, trouble is Mario pitched for some of the worst Reds teams (talent wise) in franchise history.

icehole3
04-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Every one in our minor league system should be taught his change up IMO. If they cant learn it then they should fall down the depth chart.

LINEDRIVER
04-03-2008, 08:03 PM
While listening to Cueto's debut today, I was wondering how Soto fared in his first major league start. Soto made 2 relief appearances before making his first start.

July 27, 1977 ... Reds' rookie pitcher Mario Soto picks up his first major league win while making his first major league start in the first game of a doubleheader at Chicago's Wrigley Field. Cubs' third baseman Steve Ontiveros takes Soto deep for his 7th HR on the year with a solo shot in the second-inning. Foster slams his 32nd HR of the season off reliever Pete Broberg in the sixth-inning. Reds' outfielders Cesar Geronimo and George Foster manage three hits apiece. Soto goes the distance and allows just two runs on nine hits while walking two and fanning nine. Reds 6, Cubs 2.

(George Foster will hit 20 more HR's from August 1 thru Sept 28 to finish the year with 52!!!)

Joseph
04-03-2008, 08:53 PM
This team needs to have the fortune of more Cueto like talent, but it also needs more from its past talents like Soto.

Davis with OFers. Soto and the change up to pitchers. Larkin with IFers.

Yes all those were exceptional talents but the Reds need that kind of talent around to promote more talent.

coachw513
04-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah, trouble is Mario pitched for some of the worst Reds teams (talent wise) in franchise history.

Harang's lack of national media attention/respect is for the same reason...Soto happened to be very special during a stretch of very bad Reds teams, just like what we've gone through this decade...

cincinnati chili
04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I grew to be a baseball fanatic during Soto's glory years. He was my favorite player at a time where the Reds winning and losing - and there was a LOT of losing - was just about the only care I had in the world.

Stormy
04-04-2008, 12:29 AM
I grew to be a baseball fanatic during Soto's glory years. He was my favorite player at a time where the Reds winning and losing - and there was a LOT of losing - was just about the only care I had in the world.

Same here, chili. I was a young kid, but I lived and died with the fortunes of those terrible Reds' teams. There was something almost mystical about the exploits of this exceptional starter (Soto), who arrived just in time to see a decade of greatness come to close, to then have to carry the torch as the lone bright spot on those miserable 1982-84 teams. Then, to see him flameout just as competetive respectability was returning to the franchise, really hurt.

There were definitely years where my only solace as a Reds fan was tracking Soto's standings in the ERA race, or to see the team fared on days where he matched up against a Carlton or Valenzuela or Andujar or Candelaria. I love the idea of Soto serving as both an instructor, and personal mentor, to guys like Cueto and Volquez. It's a stroke of genius.

Thanks for the log from Soto's first start, linedriver...

BuckeyeRedleg
04-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Those '82 Fleer cards were brutal.

Mario was one of my first heroes as a youngster. In fact, my Spanish name in middle school was "Mario". I mimicked his pitching style for a few years until Doc Gooden came along.

RedlegJake
04-04-2008, 02:05 AM
I remmber a broadcast early in '83 or 84 and Marty was asked how he thought the Reds would fare -his reply? They'd win about as often as Soto started. And he was just about right, too.