PDA

View Full Version : Teammates impressions of Cueto's debut

BRM
04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
From Fay:

The Reds were not surprised by Johnny Cueto's one-hit, one-run, 10-strikeout, seven-inning debut. But they were giddy. Some examples:

Bronson Arroyo: "I never saw Pedro (Martinez) throw in his younger years in person. But he reminds me somewhat of him -- smaller guy, Dominican, throws the ball on a really low plane, 94 to 96, not an unbelievably big curveball -- Pedro's is bigger -- but a pitch to get them off the fastball and then good change. It was an unbelievable debut. A young guy, great circumstances -- not much of crowd, more of spring training feel -- any way you cut it it's a nerve-racking day. To do what he did, especially command-wise. When someone's throwing that hard, you'd expect them to be up in the zone a lot. He was just painting at the knee all day. Pretty nasty. The only debut I saw that came close to that was (Jonathan) Papelbon. He's turned out to be pretty damn good."

Francisco Cordero: "Unbelievable. Everything was downhill. Everything was a strike. He attacked the hitters. He made the pitches he wanted to make. Even the home run pitch wasn't bad. The guy just put a good swing on it. It was just amazing. I just wanted to get my job done so he got the win. When you pitch like that, you deserve a win, especially in your big debut."

Adam Dunn: "He's fun to play behind. He gets the ball and throws. He doesn't take a lot of time between pitches. He throws strikes. He's one of those special guys. You can tell it on the mound. He's total different on the mound than he is in the clubhouse. I don't know how describe it."

Paul Bako: "He's tough. He's going to be tough for quite a long time. It was nice to see him come out and be himself, not try to do too much. He obviously wasn't rattled. It really doesn't surprise me. It was very nice to see. Just the way he handles himself, the confidence he has and the ability he has, it doesn't surprise me. He's nice and cool and collected. He knows he's good. He doesn't exude cockiness but he's got confidence about him that just every time out we're going to have a chance to win."

Mike Lincoln: "That was a special outing. But we saw that in spring. He's got that kind of stuff to be able to pitch like that every start. You can see it in him. He's a competitor and he has the stuff to carry him to another level."

Dusty Baker: "What can I say about Johnny Cueto? Great debut. He threw strikes. The linescore says it: Seven innings, one run, one hit, 10 strikeouts. That is some debut right there."

Matt700wlw
04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
From Trent:

This from Orlando Hudson:

"He was poised. He pitched a good game. The kid’s got a good arm. He’s got some good stuff. Good change-up, good slider. He was throwing that fastball where he wanted to. He had great stuff."

"The win he had today is just another boost of confidence. I’m pretty sure he’ll be just as dominant in his next start."

Tough when he’s putting 95-96 where he wants?
"Yeah. That’s Jake Peavy-like. He’s got that type of stuff. Like Griffey told me, he reminded him of a young Pedro. If he holds out -- and I hope he does -- he’ll have a great career."

When did Griffey say that?
"Two days ago."

"He threw me everything in the book. He had everything working today. He’s feeling confident. That’s good for a young pitcher to go out and do that in his first start. That’s a great boost of confidence right there. He made one mistake and that was to J-Up and you saw where that got him."

What did you think when Juinor told you that?
"You never know. I was like, ‘OK, we’ll see.’ He wasn’t lying. He’s going to be good."

RedLegSuperStar
04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I got to believe he is the best pitcher on this staff after watching him pitch today. He mixed his pitches well and he was consistent. 10K's and 0 walks says a lot about this youngster. He was hitting 95 back to back in the 7th inning and mixing the change in a 82-84 mph. Very smooth delivery and the ball just zips out of his hand with good movement. Was well worth the cold damp weather watching Cueto's debut.

RedEye
04-03-2008, 08:06 PM
This is all very exciting. Great to get this news today, especially with Chris Henry's release dampening my football spirits. Thanks, Johnny Cueto!

wheels
04-03-2008, 08:19 PM
J.C....The Savior.

lollipopcurve
04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
My impression?

He's the best Reds pitcher since Rijo. Stay healthy, kid.

Highlifeman21
04-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm glad The Dusty kept him under 100 pitches.

Ron Madden
04-04-2008, 03:41 AM
I'm glad The Dusty kept him under 100 pitches.

So am I.

Ron Madden
04-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Why do we not have a game thread of Cueto's debut?

:confused:

HumnHilghtFreel
04-04-2008, 03:44 AM
Why do we not have a game thread of Cueto's debute?

:confused:

The site was down for a few hours, unfortunately.

Ron Madden
04-04-2008, 03:49 AM
The site was down for a few hours, unfortunately.

Ahhh, that's a shame. Thanks for the reply.

WMR
04-04-2008, 04:06 AM
There's a game thread on the peanut gallery.

KronoRed
04-04-2008, 11:33 AM
My impression?

He's the best Reds pitcher since Rijo. Stay healthy, kid.

I think he's the best Reds pitcher since Harang ;)

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Cueto merits comparisons to Martinez, Peavy

BY NICK PIECORO | THE ARIZONA REPUBLIC
E-mail thisE-mail | Printer-FriendlyPrint | digg us! |

With Reds phenom Johnny Cueto set to make his major-league debut Thursday, Diamondbacks second baseman Orlando Hudson did some digging to find a scouting report on the young right-hander.

Hudson was told by a friend that Cueto was reminiscent of Pedro Martinez.

Ken Griffey Jr. might make a good advance scout one day.

"I was like, 'OK, we'll see,' " Hudson said. "He wasn't lying."

Cueto dazzled for seven innings Thursday, allowing just one hit and striking out 10 to lead the Reds to a 3-2 victory over the Diamondbacks.

The 22-year-old retired 21 of the 22 batters he faced. Justin Upton's solo home run in the sixth was all that stood between Cueto and seven perfect innings.

"He's got great stuff and he pounds the zone with it. That's what makes him effective," Upton said. "He's just a great pitcher."

After Cueto struck out the first batter of the game, Chris Young, on a low, 96 mph fastball, it was evident the Diamondbacks might be in for a long afternoon.

"He's got great stuff," Eric Byrnes said. "Fastball spotted to both sides. Good breaking ball, threw his change-up. He had everything."

How's this for stuff? A fastball at 96 mph, a slider between 88-90 mph and a change-up in the upper-80s.

"That's Jake Peavy-like - he's got that type of stuff," Hudson said. "If he holds out (stays healthy), and I hope he does, he'll have a great career."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080404/SPT04/804040388/

Guacarock
04-04-2008, 12:37 PM
The housing market might be in the tank. The stock market mired in a churning or bear cycle. Gold peaking. But at least this week, Johnny Cueto baseball cards have proven the most lucrative investment for your financial portfolio.

His Bowman Chromes were selling on E-bay for a buck or two this winter. Check out the fierce auctions today for those same cards -- with prices pushing in the $15-$35 range.

Of course, it won't hold. The bubble will eventually burst and the boom abate.

But Cueto has sure made it fun to be a Reds fan this April. So glad he didn't get swapped for Blanton. Here's hoping his flashy debut rubs off on the Reds vets as well as the prospects coming up behind him.

membengal
04-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes, the idea of trading Cueto for Blanton. That was a horrible idea, that idea. Absolutely horrible.

Did Paul Daugherty apologize yet for killing the Reds over not making that deal?

princeton
04-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I think he's the best Reds pitcher since Harang

Harang's a 2. Cueto looked like a 1.

BRM
04-04-2008, 01:06 PM

Didn't another team's scout say Cueto looked like the Reds ace during ST?

Reds Freak
04-04-2008, 01:30 PM
The thing that most impresses me about Cueto is his poise or mound presence as some like to call it. He doesn't seem like he gets rattled. It may actually make a nice complement to Homer some day as he doesn't seem to be as even keeled. It will be interesting to see how he reacts (and fans react) after his first few bad outings. There will inevitably be bumps along the way this year and how he responds to those will say a lot about the type of pitcher and person Cueto is...

PuffyPig
04-04-2008, 01:37 PM

If Harang's a 2, there are few 1's in the league.

He wins, he pitches extremely well, he pitches more innings than most, he strikes out guys, he's a true #1.

And if he pitched at Petco instead of GAB, everyone would know it too.

Stormy
04-04-2008, 02:00 PM

He wins, he pitches extremely well, he pitches more innings than most, he strikes out guys, he's a true #1.

As you said, Harang's a #1, or the denomination ceases to have meaning. He's in the Top 3-5 in the NL in virtually every meaningful pitching barometer, despite pitching for subpar defensive teams, in an unfavorable ballpark. GS (1), IP (2), K (2), WHIP (5), K/BB (1) etc...

Cueto looks capable of being a #1, as well, but in an even more dominant fashion. There are only several guys on that level in the game at any given time (i.e. Peavy at the moment). Hopefully Cueto can be so dominant that he can make Harang the Reds' #2 pitcher, as that would give us a pair of top of the rotation aces down the road.

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Don't forget about Edinson Volquez either. With that fastball/changeup combo and an average to slightly above curveball that apparently is improving, he could be very, very deadly. Plus he's just now starting to throw a slider that Dick Pole is teaching him. I like Volquez a whole lot, so much in fact I have him striking out 200+ batters this season. I think baseball in Cincinnati is going to be very exciting over the next decade...

princeton
04-04-2008, 02:20 PM
double post

princeton
04-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Cueto looks capable of being a #1, as well, but in an even more dominant fashion.

thus the distinction

Unassisted
04-04-2008, 06:33 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/04/04/heyman.cueto/

Johnny Be Good
Cueto's dazzling debut little surprise to scouts
Posted: Friday April 4, 2008 12:07PM; Updated: Friday April 4, 2008 1:14PM

Johnny Cueto allowed just one baserunner against the Diamondbacks in seven innings Thursday and became the first Reds pitcher since 1900 to strike out 10 batters in his debut, a 3-2 Cincinnati win. It was a stunning coming out party ... unless, that is, you've been scouting Cueto for years.

"He has a big-time arm,'' said one scout from an American League team who's seen Cueto at least a dozen times.

Cueto, a 5-foot-10 right-hander, is known for a fastball that's 95-96 mph and a superb changeup. Cueto drew decent reviews this spring, then threw a game where he walked five batters and didn't get out of the first inning. So his gem Thursday, where the only blemish was Justin Upton's solo home run in the sixth inning, almost seemed to come out of the blue for the Reds. Though, not to the scouts who've been following him.

Scout's take: Cueto

(At least once a week, I'll provide a scout's in-depth look at a player.)

"His arm action is as clean and loose as you can get. When you see this guy, you think he can be a guy who goes deep into a game or [can] be a closer. He has a better arm than Homer Bailey, who was a No. 1 pick. He's legit. He's where he should be. A lot of scouts will say he's a little on the small side. But that arm is big. He has an explosiveness to his fastball that's a treat to watch.''

RedlegJake
04-04-2008, 07:02 PM

I think what some call a number one is really more than that - its one of 2 or 3 most dominant pitchers in the game period. Pedro at his best, Santana etc. They want the best pitcher in baseball, not a number one. Two different things.

A number one gives you innings, efficiency, misses bats and keeps you in the game consistently nearly every time out - Harang is every bit a number one.

Vada Pinson Fan
04-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Not since Wayne Simpson have the Reds had such a dominating rookie performance until yesterday from Johnny Cueto. In his debut game; Wayne Simpson, on April 9, 1970 pitched 9 shutout innnings in a 3-0 Reds win over the Dodgers. Wayne gave up only 2 hits, had 2 k's and zero BB's.

What a great game Johnny Cueto had yesterday! I still can't believe the Reds good fortune to have drafted an ace like him!!!

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2008, 07:27 PM
What a great game Johnny Cueto had yesterday! I still can't believe the Reds good fortune to have drafted an ace like him!!!

No big deal or anything but Cueto was signed out of the Domincan Republic for 3,500 dollars, not drafted.

Vada Pinson Fan
04-04-2008, 07:35 PM
No big deal or anything but Cueto was signed out of the Domincan Republic for 3,500 dollars, not drafted.

Sorry. I knew he was signed out of the Dominican Baseball Academy of/by the Reds. Just used the wrong terminology.:thumbup: