In the clubhouse after the game, Kent Mercker called me over and asked:

"When's the last time the Reds had anyone deal like this?"

Me: "A homegrown player? Mario Soto."

Merck: "No, anyone."

Me: "Jose Rijo, maybe."

Merck: "I don't think he threw that hard. He had that nasty slider."

Me: "This kid's pretty good, eh?"

Merck: "You know what, Volquez is just as good."

That would be Edinson Volquez. He makes his Reds' debut Sunday v. Philadelphia.

Reader John Perin sent this to me: With regards to Johnny Cueto's first-time appearance, here is some information on two other Reds' pitchers and their major-league debuts:

Gary Nolan - April 15, 1967. Went 7.1 innings, gave up six hits, three runs, struck out eight and walked two against Houston at Crosley Field. The Reds won 7-3. In that game, Nolan struck out the side in the first inning, walking only Joe Morgan around the three strikeouts.

Wayne Simpson - April 9, 1970 - Went nine innings, gave up two hits, no runs and no walks and struck out two against Los Angeles at Dodger Stadium. The Reds won 3-0.

We all know both Cueto and Volquez are going to have starts this year when they struggle. However, these two are going to make the Reds very fun to watch this year. Oh yeah and then there is that Harang guy too...

I'm very interested to see how Edinson does Sunday.

MartyFan
04-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Edinson has a tall order to match if he is "just as good"...I mean, WOW...10 K's in his first game? That is just SICK!

I LOVE IT!

RedEye
04-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Good lord... if these two guys live up to the hype, watch out NL Central. Isn't the beginning of the season great when it starts like this?

paulrichjr
04-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Imagine a Reds team with 2 guys like Fausto Carmona in the same rotation? I know that is a tall order but it is certainly possible. My worry now is where is the offense?

Cedric
04-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Imagine a Reds team with 2 guys like Fausto Carmona in the same rotation? I know that is a tall order but it is certainly possible. My worry now is where is the offense?

The offense is going to be fine. Early in the season you are going to see certain players struggle. If Edwin and Phillips continue hitting this team is going to score runs. Dunn hasn't started yet and either has Griffey. The Brewers and Cubs need to watch out if Volquez and Cueto pitch up to expectations.

BCubb2003
04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I keep thinking Edinson must have a brother named Eidenstein.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-04-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm very excited for Sunday. Not so excited for the debut of Josh Fogg tomorrow though.