PDA

View Full Version : Will Volquez's first start match Cueto's?

jhiller21
04-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Edinson Volquez throws 94-95, with a changeup that rivals starting pitcher Johnny Cueto's.

Unfortunately he lacks the tight breaking ball that Cueto throws.

Will Volquez be able to match Cueto's impressive start with the pitch he hasn't mastered yet?

He certainly outpitched Cueto in Spring Training, time will tell if Volquez's changeup will be enough to allow him to pitch in the big leagues without a move to the pen.

BearcatShane
04-04-2008, 12:54 AM
I highly doubt he will match Cueto, but that doesn't mean he can't have a great start.

yab1112
04-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Volquez has pitched in the majors before, theres a scouting report on him. I'm gonna say its not as impressive as Cueto's start, but I still think he'll be solid.

keeganbrick
04-04-2008, 03:01 AM
a 1 hitter....

Kingspoint
04-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Aaron Harang may not have a start all year that match's Cueto's first start.

If Volquez can get through 7 innings, it will be a very good start. That means he was efficient enough with his pitches to let his defense do the work, while getting out of jams with strikeouts when needed.

He got it!
04-04-2008, 06:02 AM
If Volquez throws 7 1 hit innings and strikes out double digits also - I would start reserving my playoff tickets now.

redhawk61
04-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Edinson Volquez throws 94-95, with a changeup that rivals starting pitcher Johnny Cueto's.

Unfortunately he lacks the tight breaking ball that Cueto throws.

Will Volquez be able to match Cueto's impressive start with the pitch he hasn't mastered yet?

He certainly outpitched Cueto in Spring Training, time will tell if Volquez's changeup will be enough to allow him to pitch in the big leagues without a move to the pen.

as a side note he throws harder than Cueto he hits 97 and I saw him pitch last year at his Detroit game and he hit 98 once or twice.

RSNtransplant
04-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Volquez is going to face a tougher line-up, not likely he tops Cueto's performance.

justincredible
04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Hasn't Volquez already faced the majority of Philly's starting lineup this year in Spring Training? I remember one of the two young guys making the Phillies look silly, I think.

RSNtransplant
04-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Hasn't Volquez already faced the majority of Philly's starting lineup this year in Spring Training? I remember one of the two young guys making the Phillies look silly, I think.

Looks like March 25, Volquez went 5IP, 5 H, 1ER, 1BB, 5Ks. Utley was out, but looks like he faced Rollins, Victorino, Howard and Burrel all twice. Not a huge sample size, but either way those 5 Phillies hitters are better than any 5 on the D-backs roster.

bubbachunk
04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I doubt it because of how Johnny dominated but it does not mean it will not be good.

durl
04-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Aaron Harang may not have a start all year that match's Cueto's first start.

+1

And Cueto may not be able to match that start again, either. 10K, no BB, and only 1 hit? That's just plain crazy.

I hope Reds fans can keep perspective and not get disappointed when he has a rookie day.

BoCcc2832
04-04-2008, 10:37 AM
You have to admit, however, that it is hard to not be excited about the future of both of our young kids. Edison Volquez is supposed to be the better of the two, and after one game, Volquez has taken a back seat. I think if we can get both kids to be solid, our rotation could be the pitching version of the 27 Yankees lineup. Can you feel your heart beating faster, just thinking about it? I know I can. It makes the day go so much slower, but I am so greatly anticipating the next Reds game.

SultanOfSwing
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I think it is possible that Volquez could have a very similar start. He could very well pitch 7 innings of 1-run baseball. However, I would expect a couple of hits and maybe 1 walk. He could also have more strikeouts.

Volquez has a better fastball and a much better changeup. His other secondary pitches aren't quite as good as Cueto and his control hasn't been as tight. However, his stuff is ridiculous and probably better than Cueto's. So far this year he shown very good control. I expect very good things from Mr. Volquez.

mound_patrol
04-04-2008, 10:43 AM
You have to admit, however, that it is hard to not be excited about the future of both of our young kids. Edison Volquez is supposed to be the better of the two, and after one game, Volquez has taken a back seat. I think if we can get both kids to be solid, our rotation could be the pitching version of the 27 Yankees lineup. Can you feel your heart beating faster, just thinking about it? I know I can. It makes the day go so much slower, but I am so greatly anticipating the next Reds game.

We need to remember this is just one game. Don't want to annoint him savior just yet. I'm sure he'll definitly endure his ups and downs this year.

As far as the title question. I would have to say no. There wont be many pitchers in baseball that will have a more dominant performance than Cueto's start.

TheBigLebowski
04-04-2008, 11:08 AM
I fear Johnny Fever may have unreasonably raised expectations around here. Poor Edinson.

"3 hits and 2 ER hits in 7 innings? The bum!"

Rounding Third
04-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Volquez faced them twice and dominated against the starting lineup.

Newman4
04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
I saw enough success out of Volquez in Spring Training to not get disappointed if he doesn't "match" Cueto. Cueto probably won't "match" himself next start either, but he showed how dominate he can be with the debut. Exciting times.

Kingspoint
04-04-2008, 01:15 PM
April is where great stories have their beginnings. Last year it was Josh Hamilton. The year before it was Brandon Phillips and Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang. Last year it was May for Norris Hopper and Jeff Keppinger.

What's next? These things are hard to predict. But one for sure will be Junior as he hits #600. There will probably be a relief pitcher or two that gets through April and May with an ERA under 2.00 that will also be a good story. And then there's Keppinger again, Mr. BaseHit. Volquez may or may not pass Belisle on the depth chart this Spring, but Josh Hamilton wasn't traded for him because it's not likely to happen. Eventually, this year or next season, Volquez will solidify himself as a #3 starter challenging Bronson Arroyo and Johnny Cueto for that spot, with the winner of those three as the #2, and the loser as the #4, allowing Homer Bailey to work on his control and come up when he's ready.

Then, when Harang or Arroyo has an injury, the REDS will have the depth for someone to step in and take over the as the leader of the pitching staff.

SidneySlicker
04-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I doubt it. Not to minimize what Cueto did, but Arizona's offense had one of the worst BA's in the national league last year. Volquez will be facing one of the best lineup's in the NL. I know Cueto had a great game yesterday, but people need to remember that these kids are gonna have some off days and days where they look like rookies.

TeamSelig
04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
I don't think its possible that the baseball gods will allow us to have two good young pitchers in one season. So he will probably be destroyed.

:D

REDblooded
04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Looks like March 25, Volquez went 5IP, 5 H, 1ER, 1BB, 5Ks. Utley was out, but looks like he faced Rollins, Victorino, Howard and Burrel all twice. Not a huge sample size, but either way those 5 Phillies hitters are better than any 5 on the D-backs roster.

Not too sure about this one... I'd take Byrnes, Connor Jackson, and Chris Young over any of them.

texasdave
04-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Amazing fact: Johnny Cueto did not pitch out of the stretch all game. Not even one pitch.

_Sir_Charles_
04-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Edinson's results versus the Phils in S.T. Both games were versus the Phils "A" lineup. Nearly all the regulars started.

3-16-08: a 2-6 loss. Majik & Salmon imploded.
5.0 ip / 3 h / 0 r / 0 er / 1 bb / 6 so / 0 hr / 4 groundouts / 5 flyouts

3-25-08: a 5-3 win.
5.0 ip / 5 h / 1 r / 1 er / 1 bb / 5 so / 0 hr / 6 g.outs / 4 f.outs

RSNtransplant
04-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Not too sure about this one... I'd take Byrnes, Connor Jackson, and Chris Young over any of them.

I hope by any of them you meant the two guys you highlighted, even then Victorino and Youngs' numbers are comparable, and Burrel has average 30HR/100RBI/100BB plus last three years, he is Phillies version of Adam Dunn(Lite). Toss in Utley/Rollins and Howard and the Phillies have the better line-up, they were first or second in NL 2007 in HR, Runs(180 more than Ariz), SLG and OBP( probably more but those were the 4 I looked at).

TeamSelig
04-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Phils have a way better lineup IMO.

Rollins & Howard > any hitter on Arizona IMO. PLUS Utley and Burrell. Waaayyyy better lineup.

fugowitribe
04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
I just hope that Edinson can get better run support than Johnny. 10 guys LOB.....I hope that isn't a normality this year.

fugowitribe
04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I just hope Edinson gets better run support than Johnny. 10 guys LOB....I hope that is not a normality this year.

SoTxRedsFan
04-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I just hope Edinson gets better run support than Johnny. 10 guys LOB...I hope that is not a normality this year.

Va Red Fan
04-05-2008, 07:27 PM
No. And it is wrong to want to compare. Different guys and different outcomes. Don't put that kind of pressure on Volquez. Heck, our ace, who is an ace, has not lived up the Cueto's performance. Come to think of it, no ace has matched his outing yet.

mlbfan30
04-05-2008, 08:26 PM
No. And it is wrong to want to compare. Different guys and different outcomes. Don't put that kind of pressure on Volquez. Heck, our ace, who is an ace, has not lived up the Cueto's performance. Come to think of it, no ace has matched his outing yet.

Peavy has today....

9.0 2H 1ER 1BB 8K

jmac
04-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Peavy has today....

9.0 2H 1ER 1BB 8K

That is pretty good company Cueto is keeping !

Hondo
04-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I am just hoping Bailey will come into a 7IP, 3ER or Less automatic Pitcher for the Reds because I would just as soon see Bailey getting Foggs starts if Fogg has another Start or 2 like that...

JBChance
04-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Coupled with the fact that the Phil's do have a better lineup than the D-Backs and that they (albeit Spring Training) have seen him a few times, I think Volquez will have a hard matching Cueto.

How bizarre is it that Edinson pitched to them twice in the spring and now his first start this year is to them - Kind of a weird schedule coincidence.

I just hope he's not felling too much pressure.

RedsFan2008
04-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Hey guys, I am new to this site but have been a reds fan for about 3 years now(I am only 16). I am just starting to really get into them though, and I wanted to ask you guys some questions and your opinions.

1. What do you think of Baker as our Manager? I have heard that he is a guy who favors vets over young talent, and overplayed Prior and Wood in Chicago.

2. What is your opinion on Homer Baily, and when do you think we will see him play for us?

3. Our Ballpark is obviously a hitters park, and I was wondering if I was the only one that thought having great pitchers is better if you have a hitters park than a pitchers park. I have this thought because if you play in a hitters park and you build your team around a great rotation, you will still be able to rake in a nice amount of runs every game even with average hitters. What do you think?

4. Why is it that Jay Bruce and Joey Votto are not starting yet? When do you think these guys will be playing? Soon? Late in the Season?

4. Finally, I think that our Reds can be a team that could at least compete for a playoff spot this year much like the Rockies last year, and I think that with Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, and Harang(who are all under 30), we could be a great pitching team towards the end of this year and for years to come. Do you agree?

Kingspoint
04-06-2008, 04:21 AM
Hey guys, I am new to this site but have been a reds fan for about 3 years now(I am only 16). I am just starting to really get into them though, and I wanted to ask you guys some questions and your opinions.

1. What do you think of Baker as our Manager? I have heard that he is a guy who favors vets over young talent, and overplayed Prior and Wood in Chicago.

2. What is your opinion on Homer Baily, and when do you think we will see him play for us?

3. Our Ballpark is obviously a hitters park, and I was wondering if I was the only one that thought having great pitchers is better if you have a hitters park than a pitchers park. I have this thought because if you play in a hitters park and you build your team around a great rotation, you will still be able to rake in a nice amount of runs every game even with average hitters. What do you think?

4. Why is it that Jay Bruce and Joey Votto are not starting yet? When do you think these guys will be playing? Soon? Late in the Season?

4. Finally, I think that our Reds can be a team that could at least compete for a playoff spot this year much like the Rockies last year, and I think that with Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, and Harang(who are all under 30), we could be a great pitching team towards the end of this year and for years to come. Do you agree?

I don't see where you're from, but if you can get to as many REDS' games as you can, whether minor leagues or major leagues, that's the best way to get the answers to your questions. Your own eyes in a live game will tell you things that TV, TV analysts, or anyone on this board wouldn't be able to tell you.

If you can't get to any games, I hope you can see as many games on TV, or hear them on the Radio as you can. You are becoming a fan at exactly the right time as the current General Manager and the previous General Manager are/have been putting together a fantastic Minor League system that currently rivals the best in the Majors, so that for years to come, the REDS will have an influx of talent reaching the Major League level every year.

There are a lot of great books our there giving expert opinions about the game of baseball and it's players and managers, but the King of Analysis is still Bill James, the only stat-geek to turn his passion for stats into a career in the Majors as he has worked for the World Champion Red Sox now for the last three years. Get a hold of his books for excellent opinions about players, though you have to wonder that now he is employed as a Red Sox analyst, that he might not skewer his views on things to help his team. If he's a smart employee, he would have information he gives the rest of the world, and information he gives the Red Sox. But, then if he wants to be hired by others, he won't put out false information. I'd lean more towards the latter.

Welcome.

Go REDS!

Coopdaddy67
04-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Id be very happy with a quality start. I am not expecting him to outperform Cueto, but I wouldnt be suprised if he were to do so.

It will be very interesting to watch these guys develop throughout the season. If they can keep the Reds offense in games, they'll get their fair share of wins.

My prediction is 6.1 IP, 5 H, 2 BB, 9 K, 3 R and a W.

jredmo2
04-06-2008, 05:15 PM

1. This week has been encouraging, with how he has dealt with Cueto and Volquez. Also, the whole Wood/Prior thing is a little overblown, although Baker did admittedly overuse them down the stretch. I can't remember about Prior, but Wood had some pretty disastrous mechanics from the get-go, and a lot of his struggles to better his mechanics have continued far beyond Dusty's Cubs tenure. And really, workhorse vets like Harang and Arroyo should help.

2. I haven't seen much of Bailey, but word is he is struggling a bit with command. Probably needs more time in AAA, which is fine; not everyone can be Johnny Cueto. If he fails to make the team out of ST 2009, I'll start to be concerned, but he is still very young.

3. I have always though that, in the long run, the only thing having a hitter's/pitcher's park really affected was trade value. That is, a hitter's park will overvalue your hitters, and a pitcher's park will overvalue you pitchers. Since pitching is at a premium, I'd rather have a pitcher's park, though astute GMs will account for this.

4. Bruce is in a log-jam in OF. With that kind of quality prospect, I don't think Krivsky wanted to put him in CF (he's more comfortable in right). Look for the Reds to part with Griffey and/or Dunn next year, opening a corner OF spot for Bruce. Votto likely just has to play his way into the starting lineup. I think Dusty likes him, but he has struggled pretty bad since ST began. If he regains his 2007 form, he will be starting.

5. I certainly hope so!

BTW, I think the key for Volquez is the changeup. When he was locating it early on today, he looked fantastic. Lots of credit has to go to Mario Soto for the way he taught his changeup to our youngsters.

ChatterRed
04-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Id be very happy with a quality start. I am not expecting him to outperform Cueto, but I wouldnt be suprised if he were to do so.

It will be very interesting to watch these guys develop throughout the season. If they can keep the Reds offense in games, they'll get their fair share of wins.

My prediction is 6.1 IP, 5 H, 2 BB, 9 K, 3 R and a W.

Coop,

Welcome to the board. :D;)

ChatterRed
04-06-2008, 05:54 PM
1. What do you think of Baker as our Manager?
The jury is still out. I think he has a good resume, but still does questionable things at times. I also think he helped remove the "cheap" reputation the Reds had when it came to hiring managers. I think management wanted not only a name, but someone recognizable, that might help the fan base believe, and someone the players would clearly respect, including Griffey.

I have heard that he is a guy who favors vets over young talent, and overplayed Prior and Wood in Chicago.

I have heard read alot of people who disagree that Baker had anything to do with Prior and Wood's problems. They say their problems were mechanics and inevitable.

Bailey is only 21 years old and has plenty of time to pan out. But I am in the minority that thinks he is more hype than real. I don't see him panning out due to his bad attitude, declining fastball, and lack of a good changeup.

Hitters park or pitchers park, every winning team needs great pitching and great hitting.

Huge fan of Bruce here......and also someone who wanted to see him up here out of ST. But Griffey will probably get hurt at sometime during the season and we will see Bruce then if he continues to produce in triple A.

If Volquez and Cueto are the real deal, and Arroyo and Harang post their usual numbers..........this team is going places with an improved bullpen.