PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Reds History (4/4/08): Past Lineups

Big Klu
04-04-2008, 06:57 AM
25 years ago (1983), a 5-4 win on Opening Day at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Braves.

Atlanta
Brett Butler cf
Rafael Ramirez ss
Claudell Washington rf
Dale Murphy lf
Bob Horner 3b
Chris Chambliss 1b
Glenn Hubbard 2b
Bruce Benedict c
Phil Niekro p

Cincinnati
Gary Redus lf
Eddie Milner cf
Dave Concepcion ss
Johnny Bench 3b
Dan Driessen 1b
Ron Oester 2b
Jeff Jones rf
Alex Treviņo c
Mario Soto p

WP: Mario Soto (1-0)
LP: Steve Bedrosian (0-1)
Sv: Tom Hume (1)
HR: ATL - Chris Chambliss (1). CIN - Ron Oester (1), Gary Redus (1).

Jeff Jones, who hit .301 with 42 HRs and 101 RBIs at Class A Cedar Rapids in 1982, made his major-league debut in this game.

Big Klu
04-04-2008, 06:57 AM
20 years ago (1988), a 5-4 12-inning win on Opening Day at Riverfront vs. the Cardinals.

St. Louis
Vince Coleman lf
Ozzie Smith ss
Tom Herr 2b
Bob Horner 1b
Willie McGee cf
Terry Pendleton 3b
Tony Peña c
Jim Lindeman rf
Joe Magrane p

Cincinnati
Barry Larkin ss
Dave Concepcion 2b
Kal Daniels lf
Eric Davis cf
Tracy Jones rf
Bo Diaz c
Nick Esasky 1b
Chris Sabo 3b
Mario Soto p

WP: Pat Perry (1-0)
LP: Bob Forsch (0-1)
HR: STL - Joe Magrane (1). CIN - Kal Daniels (1).

Chris Sabo made his major-league debut in this game.

Big Klu
04-04-2008, 06:58 AM
10 years ago (1998), a 3-1 win at Riverfront vs. the Dodgers.

Los Angeles
Eric Young 2b
Thomas Howard cf
Mike Piazza c
Todd Zeile 3b
Raul Mondesi rf
Paul Konerko 1b
Todd Hollandsworth lf
Jose Vizcaino ss
Ismael Valdez p

Cincinnati
Chris Stynes lf
Jon Nunnally rf
Willie Greene 3b
Dmitri Young 1b
Reggie Sanders cf
Bret Boone 2b
Brook Fordyce c
Pokey Reese ss
Brett Tomko p

WP: Brett Tomko (1-0)
LP: Ismael Valdez (0-1)
Sv: Jeff Shaw (3)
HR: None.

Big Klu
04-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Five years ago (2003), a 10-9 win at Great American Ball Park vs. the Cubs.

Chicago Cubs
Mark Grudzielanek 2b
Alex S. Gonzalez ss
Sammy Sosa rf
Moises Alou lf
Hee-Seop Choi 1b
Corey Patterson cf
Mark Bellhorn 3b
Damian Miller c
Shawn Estes p

Cincinnati
Barry Larkin ss
Aaron Boone 2b
Ken Griffey Jr. cf
Austin Kearns rf
Sean Casey 1b
Brandon Larson 3b
Adam Dunn lf
Jason LaRue c
Danny Graves p

WP: Scott Williamson (1-0)
LP: Dave Veres (0-1)
HR: CHI - Hee-Seop Choi (1), Sammy Sosa (1), Lenny Harris (1). CIN - Adam Dunn (1), Aaron Boone (2), Austin Kearns (2).

The first win at GABP!

Cyclone792
04-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Five years ago (2003), a 10-9 win at Great American Ball Park vs. the Cubs.

Chicago Cubs
Mark Grudzielanek 2b
Alex S. Gonzalez ss
Sammy Sosa rf
Moises Alou lf
Hee-Seop Choi 1b
Corey Patterson cf
Mark Bellhorn 3b
Damian Miller c
Shawn Estes p

Cincinnati
Barry Larkin ss
Aaron Boone 2b
Ken Griffey Jr. cf
Austin Kearns rf
Sean Casey 1b
Brandon Larson 3b
Adam Dunn lf
Jason LaRue c
Danny Graves p

WP: Scott Williamson (1-0)
LP: Dave Veres (0-1)
HR: CHI - Hee-Seop Choi (1), Sammy Sosa (1), Lenny Harris (1). CIN - Adam Dunn (1), Aaron Boone (2), Austin Kearns (2).

Two other RZ posters and I sat in the bleachers for that game, and it's one of the most memorable games we've ever been to because of what happened in the bleachers when a group of rowdy Cubs fans heckled the Cubs the entire game.

Cubs third base coach Wendell Kim took some serious heat in the top of the 4th inning when he waved Mark Bellhorn toward third on a single to right field. Kearns came up firing to nail Bellhorn at third, and the Cubs fans were livid at Kim. A tirade of profanity was unloaded on Kim by this group of Cubs fans, words so brutal that unfortunately I cannot repeat in this post.

The next batter that inning was Cubs starting pitcher Shawn Estes, who previously had gotten his teeth kicked in by Reds hitters in the bottom of the 3rd inning. When Estes was at the plate, a new phrase was born ... "Hit him [Estes] on the hand! The left one!" (Estes is a LHP). It's a phrase I would be repeating several times starting in 2005 when Eric Milton would step into the batter's box for the Reds.

A few innings later in the game, some Reds fans a few seats down in the section started getting irritated with the rowdy, loud, cursing Cubs fans. Arguments ensued, bombs of profanity were unleashed, beer flew everywhere (how could they?!), and a fight soon broke out. The loudest, most vile Cubs fan in the group was hauled off by police as they struggled to restrain him while one of the quieter Cubs fans in that group sat back and watched.

While this was ongoing, another fan leaned over and asked the quiet Cubs fan what the loud, profane and out-of-control Cubs fan does for a living.

"Oh, he's a school teacher," the quiet Cubs fan responded.

Highlifeman21
04-04-2008, 09:35 AM
The best part about that game vs. the Cubs in 2003 was that the Cubs fans didn't say 1 bad word about the Reds, or Reds fans. I think most of the Reds fans around them incorrectly assumed their language and yelling was directed at the Reds, or the surrounding Reds fans, but their passionate hate was directed at their beloved Cubs.

It takes a true fan to drive all the way from Chicago, heckle the Cubs, and then get kicked out of GABP for heckling the Cubs.

Those guys were definitely ok in my book. Especially the school teacher.

Cyclone792
04-04-2008, 10:28 AM
The best part about that game vs. the Cubs in 2003 was that the Cubs fans didn't say 1 bad word about the Reds, or Reds fans. I think most of the Reds fans around them incorrectly assumed their language and yelling was directed at the Reds, or the surrounding Reds fans, but their passionate hate was directed at their beloved Cubs.

It takes a true fan to drive all the way from Chicago, heckle the Cubs, and then get kicked out of GABP for heckling the Cubs.

Those guys were definitely ok in my book. Especially the school teacher.

Yup, an interesting bunch, that's for sure.

I've always wondered how those guys handled Games 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLCS.

George Anderson
04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Jeff Jones, who hit .301 with 42 HRs and 101 RBIs at Class A Cedar Rapids in 1982, made his major-league debut in this game.

What were the Reds thinking in bringing up a 26 year old outfielder who never played higher than Class A ball to start in RF on Opening Day??

cumberlandreds
04-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Yup, an interesting bunch, that's for sure.

I've always wondered how those guys handled Games 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLCS.

I'm glad they weren't setting close to Bartman. :p:

Big Klu
04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
What were the Reds thinking in bringing up a 26 year old outfielder who never played higher than Class A ball to start in RF on Opening Day??

The Reds were short-handed in the OF as Opening Day rolled around. Cesar Cedeño missed the first week, and Paul Householder missed the first three-and-a-half weeks--not playing until April 29. If I recall correctly, Jeff Jones had a good Spring Training that year. So the options were Jones or either Duane Walker or utilityman Rafael Landestoy. (I'm a little surprised that Walker didn't get more of a look.)

George Anderson
04-04-2008, 05:08 PM
The Reds were short-handed in the OF as Opening Day rolled around. Cesar Cedeņo missed the first week, and Paul Householder missed the first three-and-a-half weeks--not playing until April 29. If I recall correctly, Jeff Jones had a good Spring Training that year. So the options were Jones or either Duane Walker or utilityman Rafael Landestoy. (I'm a little surprised that Walker didn't get more of a look.)

There was also Dallas Williams, but bottom line to bring up a guy who never played higher than Class A shows just how poor the farm system was at the time.

Big Klu
04-04-2008, 06:37 PM
There was also Dallas Williams, but bottom line to bring up a guy who never played higher than Class A shows just how poor the farm system was at the time.

Dang! I forgot about Dallas Williams! :D

Jeff Jones actually played 48 games at Class AA Waterbury in 1981, posting a robust .181 batting average with 3 HR's and 16 RBI's. 1982 was his third season at Cedar Rapids. He hit .199 with 11 HR's and 33 RBI's in 1980, and then he hit .232 with 17 HR's and 50 RBI's before his callup to Waterbury in 1981.

Dallas Williams had played the last three seasons prior to 1983 at Class AAA. In 1980, he hit .270 with 11 HR's and 54 RBI's at Rochester of the International League. In 1981, also with the Red Wings, he hit .283 with 9 HR's and 48 RBI's while leading the IL with 51 SB's. In 1982 with Indianapolis, he hit an even .300 with 7 HR's and 74 RBI's. However, Williams was allergic to walks--his totals for those three seasons were 22, 38, and 23 respectively.

I just went downstairs and got out my old 1983 program. The Reds system really was thin in the OF back then. At the MLB level, they had the 32-year-old veteran former All-Star Cesar Cedeño, but he was unavailable at the beginning of the season. The Reds also had four OFs in their mid-20's: second-year OFs Eddie Milner (27), Duane Walker (26), and Paul Householder (24), and rookie Gary Redus (26). (Householder was also unavailable at the beginning of the season.) Utilityman Rafael Landestoy was another option, but he hadn't seen the north side of the Mendoza Line since 1980 with the Astros. The only other OF with MLB experience was Dallas Williams, who had played all of two games for the Orioles in 1981. Williams was also the only other OF with AAA experience.

The only other OFs on the 40-man roster at the beginning of 1983 were Ron Little, who hit .282 with 12 HR's and 51 RBI's at Waterbury in 1982, and this skinny (6'2", 165 lbs.) 20-year-old kid from Los Angeles named Eric Davis, who hit .278 with 15 HR's, 56 RBI's, and 53 SB's for Cedar Rapids in 1982. (I've got a good feeling about him, though!)

The Reds' cupboard was not completely bare at the lower levels, though. 20-year-old Paul O'Neill had hit .272 with 8 HR's and 71 RBI's for Cedar Rapids in 1982, while 19-year old Kal Daniels had hit .367 with 3 HR's and 38 RBI's for Billings.